DENIAL

BEHIND THE SPOTLIGHT

 

 

Please tell me I’m not dreaming. I silently prayed as I stared at Dara’s form. I was afraid she will disappear from my sight like what happened

before I opened my eyes.

She was still beautiful just like I remembered. She didn’t seem to age but, there’s something in her eyes. They empty and cold.

The doctors came rushing and started checking my vital signs.

“Jiyong, how do you feel?” The doctor asked while checking my pulse rate.

“I-I’m fine.” I guessed.

After a few more probing on my body, the doctor declared me healthy and safe.

“Jiyongie, are you sure you’re okay? Does anything hurt? Do you want anything? Are you hungry?”

I suppressed a smile at my mother’s endless inquiries. She always worries about me.

“I’m fine, Mom. Just a little thirsty, I guess.”

“Really? I’ll get you a glass of water.”

My mother left the room immediately. Dara who had been standing quietly by the window approached my bed.

“Jiyong-”

It was almost a whisper. The sound of my name from her lips made my heart flutter. I clenched my hand tightly under the sheets.

“Jiyong.” She called my name again. I had to look at her.

“What are you doing here?” I asked in my coldest tone.

“Why are you here?”

“Jiyong, I’m sorry. I didn’t know. I-“

“Who are you anyway?”

A long silence enveloped the whole room. We just stared at each other.

“You really can’t remember?” Dara asked. Pain was written all over her face.  

My eyes wandered at her hand clutching her chest. The sparkling diamond ring on her finger was screaming at me.

And the wedding invitation back at the plane…

“Know what? I don’t have amnesia like what those doctors were saying. I’m perfectly fine.” I smiled lopsidedly at her.

“I can’t remember we’ve met before.”

“Jiyong-”

I wanted to take back my words. Tell her I was just messing with her. Tell her how much I missed her and my daughter.

How much I love them despite the gap in my memory. Deep in my heart they were always there with me.

“I’m sorry but, I want to be alone.”

Before I turned my back on her, I saw the tears escaping her eyes. I shut my eyes tightly for my own tears started falling. I heard her footsteps

and the door opening. I counted the seconds before the door closed. I was barely holding my breath.

Of course, I remembered. But I will pretend otherwise. It’s for their own good. They don’t need me ruining their lives. They deserve someone better than me.

Someone who can give them a normal life away from the spotlight. Away from the chaotic world I’m living in.