EPILOGUE

BEHIND THE SPOTLIGHT

 

 

FIVE YEARS LATER…

 

 

“Brat, who’s that boy I saw in your Instagram?” Jiyong asked.  He was busy fixing himself while talking on the phone.  He was using video call and he can see the reaction of the other party.

“Which one?  There’s a lot of boys in my IG.”  She asked in return taunting Jiyong with her fake innocence.

“Conceited brat.”  Jiyong hissed.  He stopped fixing his hair and focused on his phone.  “That boy in the photoshoot.  I don’t like him.”

“You don’t like any of my boy friends.”  She complained half-heartedly.

“Because they will not do you any good.”

“FYI, Mr. Grumpz, I chose my friends very carefully.  Those boys will protect me from any harm.  I’m their “princess” you know.”  She boasted to Jiyong.

“But this one I especially don’t like.”  Jiyong insisted. 

“What’s wrong with Kevin?  He’s a nice guy.  We’ve been friends since 5th Grade.” 

“I don’t like the way he looks at you.”

“Aisst, Grumpz!  What are you saying?  It’s a photo shoot.  We’re supposed to act on camera.”

“He was not acting.  That boy is in love with you, Brat.”  Jiyong bursted.  His protective instinct keeps popping out every time he sees photos of his daughter with boys.  She had grown to be a real beauty.  A real heartbreaker. 

“You’re hugely mistaken, Grumpz.  He’s gay.  He wouldn’t like me.”  Gon-ah  negated her father’s opinion on Kevin.

“Then, why are you blushing?”

“I AM NOT!” Gon-ah replied faster than a bullet.  A knowing smile crept on Jiyong’s lips.

“OMO! OMO!  You’re red as a tomato.  I didn’t know you prefer gays.”  Jiyong kept teasing her daughter.

“Stop it, Grumpz!  Kevin is not gay.”  Gon-ah pouted which made Jiyong laughed out loud.

“You’re so busted, Brat.”  He said while clutching his stomach.  His daughter is always transparent.  She never hides her true feelings.

“If you don’t stop teasing, I’ll end up this call.”

“Okay.  I’ll stop now.”  Jiyong surrendered.  He doesn’t want to ruin their conversation.  It has been months since they last talked.  He was very busy with his concert preparations.  He could only contact her through SNS.

“What are those boxes in your room?”  Jiyong changed the subject.  Gon-ah’s room was cluttered with many boxes of different sizes.

“I’m packing my things.  We’re moving next week.”  She told him.  She was grateful her father dropped the topic about Kevin.  She felt awkward talking to him about boys.  And he always rants at her when he saw photos of her which he considers indecent for a 12-year old.  He is worse than her mother.  That’s why she calls him Grumpz.  He is always grumpy at everything she does.

“You didn’t mention to me you are moving.  Why?”

“Mom’s got a new assignment.”  Gon-ah doesn’t want to elaborate further. 

“How’s your mother?”  Jiyong asked skeptically.  They rarely talked about Dara.

“Don’t even get me started. “ Gon-ah sighed before continuing.  “After the divorce with Uncle Luis, she just works and works and works.  She hardly takes a day off.  I think she’s trying to kill herself.  I don’t know for what reason.  She doesn’t even need to work with the inheritance Grandpa left us.”

“Uhmm.  She’s not dating anyone?”  Jiyong asked casually. 

The young lady on the video controlled herself.  She always wanted to hear that question from him ever since her Mom got divorced.  She felt giddy but, she somehow managed not to show it.

“I’m not really sure.  Sometimes she would introduce me to some guys but, then I never saw them again.  They just disappeared.”

She waited for her father’s reaction.  Jiyong remained casual.

“Maybe you scared them all.”  He teased.

Gon-ah huffed and crossed her arms on her chest.  “Say that again?  Do I look scary to you?  They just don’t have balls.”  She was totally outraged by his remark.

“Watch your mouth, young lady.  How many times do I have to tell you?”  Jiyong reprimanded her.  He doesn’t like her talking street language.

“Sorry, Grumpz!  Can’t help it though.”  She giggled.  “Mom’s calling me.   Got to go before she rush in here.”

“I love you, Brat.” Jiyong told her daughter.  “Keep me updated.” He added.

“Sometimes I just wanted to deactivate all of my SNS accounts.  You’re stalking me.”

“The same way you are stalking me.  You even harassed my friends on twitter.”

“Friends?  They’re obviously flirting with you.”

“Brat, sometimes you’re a little bit too possessive.”

“I just don’t like those girls flirting with you.”  Gon-ah’s face became serious.

“Okay, Brat.  I can hear your mother calling you.”

“I love you, Poppa.”  Gon-ah smiled timidly.  “I miss you.”  She added before ending the call.

Jiyong kept staring at the blank screen of his phone.  There was a painful lump on his throat.  He swallowed several times to make the pain disappear.

It was always like that every time they ended talking.  His longing to see his daughter just increased.  It has been five years after he parted ways with them.  He was still lucky Gon-ah still forgave him.  His daughter has a big heart.  She never held any grudges against him.

A year after, Jiyong was able to come back as an artist.  It was his way to communicate with his daughter.  If he keeps appearing on every media, he was sure Gon-ah will find a way to get in touch with him.  And he was right.  Under the pretense of a devoted fan, Gon-ah started communicating with his father again.  She had to keep her accounts private to avoid unnecessary attention from Jiyong’s part.  It was not easy but, somehow they managed to keep in touch and grew closer.

 

 

 

 

SIX MOTHS LATER…

 

 

 

KPOPSTAR live audition…

“This is frustrating!”  Jiyong complained.  He was one of the judges of KPOPSTAR along with BoA and JYP.  YG was unable to accept the job because of some complications.  He asked Jiyong to take the job instead.

“Are these all the talents we got?”  Jiyong continued nagging.

“The next one seems interesting.” BoA said.  She was looking at the profile of the next auditionee.

“She grew up in Paris.  A part-time model for… WOAH!”  JYP exclaimed.  “What is she doing here if she can be famous in Paris?”

Jiyong got curious at JYP’s reaction.  He immediately grabbed the paper on his desk.  He almost fell off from his chair when he recognized the girl in the picture.

“What the f@ck is she doing here?”  Jiyong angrily mustered under his breath.  His heart started thumping so loud.  He can hear his own heartbeat.  He was holding his breath as the next person entered the stage.  He thought he was seeing an illusion.

The young girl bowed and smiled nervously at Jiyong.  She was keeping her fingers crossed behind her.

“What is your name, young lady?” JYP asked.  His full attention was at the girl who looks like she just stepped out from a page of a fashion magazine. 

“My name is Dani Park.” 

Jiyong started coughing fakely.  He tried clearing his throat before talking.

“Miss Park.  Does your mother know you are here?”  Jiyong asked not taking his eyes away from Dani.

“My mother lets me do anything I want as long as I don’t do anything bad.” 

Dani started sweating.  She knew Jiyong will be asking that question.

“Ohhh.  She’s one feisty girl.  I like her already.” BoA commented.

“I’m sure her parents gave her consent.  Stop harassing the child, Jiyong.”  JYP added.

Yeah, sure.  I’ll get you later, Brat.  Jiyong had to control himself.  He can’t embarrass the kid on national TV.

“Why did you join KPOPSTAR?  You have a very impressive profile.  Why did you leave Paris?”  BoA was really curious about the girl. 

“My mother had to take care of some business here.  I’m just taking the opportunity to make my dream come true while I’m here.”

“And what is you dream?”  JYP continued asking.

“To be like G-Dragon.”  Dani answered without blinking.  She watched Jiyong’s reaction at her boldness.  He was shaking his head.

“Let’s see if you can be the next G-Dragon.  Show us what you got, Dani.”  BoA prompted.

Dani caught Jiyong’s eyes.  She waited for his approval.  Jiyong sighed before nodding slightly at her.  He held his breath until the intro of his song started playing.  Dani chose Get Your Crayon as her audition piece.

Jiyong had never been so surprised in his whole life.  Right in front of him is his daughter burning up the stage with her own version of his song.  He didn’t know she wanted to be an artist like him.  She never talked about it.  And by the way she’s killing the stage, there’s no doubt she will be his successor, literally.

Boa and JYP stood up in awe when Dani finished performing.  They complimented her a lot.  Jiyong remained in his seat but, he was obviously impressed at his daughter.  A little bit of training and she’’s ready to conquer the Kpop world.  Her rapping style is just unique.  He must admit.  Dani did a better interpretation of the song.

“DAEBAK!”  JYP couldn’t stop complimenting Dani.  Jiyong was just too proud to say anything.

“Watch out, G-Dragon.  She’s here to dethrone you.”   BoA teased Jiyong.

“I still think she’s too young to be doing this.”  Jiyong contradicted the two judges.

“SHUT UP!” BoA and JYP chorused. 

“FINE!”  Jiyong gave up. 

“Thank you!” 

Dani bowed 90 degrees to the three judges.  Jiyong’s approval means so much to her.  Even if BoA and JYP accepted her, she would still follow her father’s decision.  She took a big risk without asking permission from Jiyong.  But, she had no choice.  She wanted to be closer to him.  It’s the only way they could be together.

“Can I make a request?”  Dani asked before leaving the stage.

“What is it?”  JYP asked.

“Can I hug G-Dragon?  I’m his greatest fan.” 

“But, he doesn’t like you.”  JYP said.  “Do you want to grant her simple request?”  He turned to Jiyong.

Without saying a word, Jiyong stood up from his chair and started walking towards the stage.  Dani meet him halfway.  Her eyes glistening with tears.

“Come here, Brat.”  Jiyong whispered.  Dani almost ran into him.  Her tears streaming down her face.

“I miss you, Poppa.”  Dani whispered.  Her arms tightened on his father’s waist.

“I’m going to get you for this, Brat.  You should have told me you’re coming.”

“I wanted to surprise you.”  Dani chuckled.

“You did, Brat.  I was indeed surprised.”

“I love you, Poppa.”

“I love you more, Brat.”

 

 

__________________________________

 

 

DEAR READERS,

       IT HAS BEEN A GREAT PLEASURE.  I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT I RECEIVED FROM YOU, GUYS.  IT HAS BEEN A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE TO SHARE THIS STORY WITH YOU.  

       THANK YOU.

       THANK YOU.

       THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

YOURS TRULY,

KrungHearts @Krung2Hearts

 

P.S.

For those who are asking for a sequel...

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/551168/second-chance-in-heaven-daragon

WARNING

Read at your own risk...