TRUTH AND CONSEQUENCES

BEHIND THE SPOTLIGHT

 

My heart was hammering inside my chest. Staring at Jiyong as he uttered those words. His cold voice freezing every fiber of my soul. Cutting my heart into tiny pieces.

What happened to Jiyong? What could probably happen to him that turned him so distant and cold?

Did he really forget about us? His very own daughter?

What would I tell Gon-ah?

What am I supposed to do?

I ignored the peculiar stares everyone was giving me as I made my way to my father’s office suite. His secretary tried to stop me from entering his office. He was in a middle of a meeting.

“Tell him I need to speak to him right now.”

“But, Miss-“

I know I was putting the secretary in a tight spot but, I need to see my father once and for all. I need to ask him what really happened.

“Should I barge in to that room or just tell him yourself that his daughter is here about to lose her mind?” Neither of those were good options. She apprehensively knocked on the door.

I waited for a few minutes before the people from his office started coming out. I entered his office as the last leave.

“What was that all about?” Father started at me. He was scowling.

“What are you doing here? Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?”

“What did you do, Father?” I couldn’t hide the disappointment in my voice.

“What do you mean?”

“Why didn’t you tell me about Jiyong?”

“Jiyong? What are you talking about? Did you just interrupt a very important meeting just to ask me about that person?”

“That person? That person is Kwon Jiyong. He’s the father of Gon-ah!” I shouted at him.

“Why are you shouting? I don’t have anything to do with that bastard.”

“Why didn’t you tell me he was in an accident? Why didn’t you tell me he couldn’t come to see his daughter because he was comatose for a month after that tragic accident?” My lips were shaking as I spoke.

“It’s better that way. You were doing fine raising Gon-ah by yourself. You don’t need him.”

“But Gon-ah needs him. Did you see how Gon-ah suffered thinking her own father abandoned him?”

“She perfectly moved on. You have Luis now.”

I can’t believe I was hearing those things from my father. I didn’t know he was that heartless.

“I can’t believe this. Did you plan all of this? Our sudden move to Paris, was it all your doing?”

“What are you complaining about? You have a great career. Gon-ah is perfectly fine. And you’re about to get married. Forget about Kwon Jiyong. Gon-ah doesn’t need him.”

“Father!”

“What? You’ll cancel your wedding? You will bring Gon-ah to his father? And you’ll live happily ever after? That’s outrageous. You’re not living a fairytale. Once you associate your life to Kwon Jiyong, your life will be ruined.”

“I’m taking Gon-ah to his father. It’s the least I could do for him.”

“And then what? You’ll cancel the wedding? Don’t be impulsive. You’ll regret your decision.”

“Gon-ah needs her father. Jiyong needs us.”

I left my father’s office without another word. I ignored him telling me to come back instantly.

It was the first time I raised my voice at my father. He was always caring and understanding. I love him so much. I felt guilty but, he betrayed me. I didn’t know he was capable of doing such things.

I called Bom on my way back to the hospital. I told her my plans and she agreed to help in any way she could. I can’t waste any more time.

Jiyong was not in his room when I arrived. I was told by the nurse at the information desk that he was already discharged from the hospital. I asked for his address contact number but, she declined. They are not allowed to give such personal information of their patient.

There’s only one way to know where he is.

An hour had already passed. I was waiting outside YG Building. I could have just entered the building but, I doubt the security would let me in just like that.

I kept my eyes peeled at every coming out of the building.

I climbed out of the rented car when I spotted the only person who could take me to Jiyong. They were already getting in a van when I reach them.

“Seungri!”

Everyone turned their heads at me. I sighed in relief when Seungri recognized me.

“Noona!”

He immediately came out of the van.

“Noona.”

“Where’s Jiyong?” I asked immediately. He sensed the urgency in my voice.

He turned to the others in the van. He said something I didn’t understand. One of the guys nodded. The van left without Seungri.

“When did you come back?” Seungri asked.

“I was on the same flight as Jiyong-“  I couldn’t continue speaking. I need to know where Jiyong is staying at the moment.

“I guessed you already know what happened to Jiyong.” Seungri stated.

I smiled bitterly. I couldn’t tell if Seungri shares the same belief with Mr. Yang.

“I need to see him. Will you help me?”

This is like a déjà vu.

Memories of how I met Jiyong flashed in my head. Seungri was so much younger then. I approached him because he was the most gullible kid closest to Jiyong.

Now, for the second time, I’m asking him again. Not because he is still the easy kid I thought he was before. I’m asking him because my daughter’s happiness is at stake.

“He’s not seeing anybody at the moment. But, I can take you to him. Do you have a car?”

I pointed at the rented car parked at the opposite side of the road.

“Let’s go.”

Seungri filled me with the details of Jiyong’s condition right after we returned to San Francisco. I couldn’t help crying when I heard how Jiyong adapted with his illness. How he kept everything to himself as if nothing’s wrong with him.

“What are you planning to do now?” Seungri asked. We were already outside Jiyong’s apartment building.

My mind suddenly went blank. I don’t have a real concrete plan. I just wanted to see him.

“I-m not sure.”

“He’s coming out.” Seungri said.

My eyes darted at the building where Jiyong was coming from. A girl appeared beside him. She wrapped her arms around Jiyong. They shared a quick kiss before getting in a car.

“That was Mina.”

“Huh?”

My mind went completely blank.

 

 

 

 

WRITER'S NOTE

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiNP2h83GsM

IN GRATITUDE TO YOUR WONDERFUL SUPPORT ON THIS STORY.

I KNOW I'M LACKING TOO MUCH AS A WRITER.

I WILL TRY VERY HARD TO IMPROVE MY WRITING TECHNIQUES.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, GUYS!

p.s.

I posted another video in the Foreword section.

KrungHearts