SURPRISE

BEHIND THE SPOTLIGHT

 

 

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

 

My hands were trembling as I removed the key from the ignition.  I fiddled with the buckle of my seatbelt which I found too hard to undo because of my nervousness.  I silently cursed myself for not taking Bom with us.  I could use some moral support right now.

I glanced at my little princess at the passenger seat.  She has been pouting all throughout the ride.  She strongly opposed coming with me.  She has been throwing tantrums ever since she arrived from Paris. 

She didn’t want to leave Paris in the middle of the school year.  She is a constant straight A student and she doesn’t want to lose her position in the class.

“Let’s go, Princess.”  I excitedly said.  She didn’t budge a bit from her seat.

“Don’t be like that.  We’re going to a party.”

“I want to go back to Paris.”  She said under her breath.

“We’re going back sooner.”  I tried easing down her tantrums with the promise of going back to Paris immediately.

“You’re lying.” 

“Gon-ah!”

“Where are we anyways?”  She asked in frustration.  She unfastened her seatbelt and immediately climbed out of the car.  I followed quickly.

“We’re in Hongdae.  And that is Uncle Teddy’s Twosome Café.” I pointed at the two storey coffee house in front of us.  There were many random people hanging outside the café.

“I don’t have an uncle.  You’re telling lies again.”

“Let’s just go, Princess.  They’re waiting for us.”

I held my daughter’s hand and guided her through the crowd.  Once we reached the entrance, someone blocked our way.

“I’m sorry, Ma’am.  This is a private party.  We’re temporarily closed for today.”  The tall guy wearing a black shirt with YG logo politely said.

“We are invited.” I told him.

The guy scratched his head.  Thankfully, Seungri appeared with YB.

“Hyung, we’re expecting them.”  He told the guy blocking us.  He immediately stepped out of the way.

“Is this our Gon-ah?”  Seungri immediately spot Gon-ah who was hiding behind me.  She slowly showed herself.  I saw a glint of excitement in her eyes.

“OMO!  You’ve grown so big and pretty.”  Seungri was too happy to see Gon-ah again.

“Do you still remember me?  I’m your Uncle Panda.  We used to play a lot when you were younger.”

“Momma?”

Gon-ah’s hand tightened on mine.  A habit of hers every time she gets confused and scared.  She probably can’t remember Seungri.

“It’s okay, Princess.  He is one of your uncles.”  I tried reassuring her.

“Why don’t we go upstairs?  It’s too crowded here.”  YB finally spoke.  He was afraid we’re getting too much attention from the onlookers.

YB led the way to the second floor where the party is being held.  Party music was in full blast.  We were earning attention from the people we passed by.  They must be wondering what a child is doing in a party for adults.

As we neared the center of the party, my heart was already at full speed.  I was unconsciously squeezing Gon-ah’s little hand.  I was breathing through my nose.  My knees were shaking.

When Seungri stopped walking, I knew we already reached him.

“Hyung!  We have a surprise for you.”  Seungri announced.  Everyone stopped whatever they were doing and focus their attention to Seungri.

I couldn’t see in front of Seungri.  I wanted to see his reaction.

“What is it this time, Seungri?”

I heard his voice.  I glanced at Gon-ah standing so close beside me.  Almost hugging me.  I can feel the tension building inside her little body.  I squeezed her hand to comfort her uneasiness.

Seungri cleared the way between us and Jiyong.

We stared at each other for a while.  Neither of us tried to speak or greet each other.  His eyes traveled down to my daughter.  His jaw tightened.  His hands clenched to fists.  His lips quivered.

I kneeled down to Gon-ah. 

“It’s Poppa’s birthday.  Wish him a happy birthday.”  I softly whispered to her.

Tears were forming in her eyes.  She shook her head slightly while staring at my own glassy eyes.  I nodded at her urging her to approach her father.

“Go on.  He’s waiting.”

My voice trembled.  Gon-ah was torn between her longing to see her father and the pain of being abandoned.  I pushed her to where Jiyong was stiffly standing.  She kept looking back at me.  I smiled at her.

She was just an arm’s length from her father when she stopped walking.  She stared at him while fighting her tears from  falling.  Her little fists tightly clenched.  Her little body shaking.

“I HATE YOU, POPPA!”

 

 

 

 

WRITER'S NOTE...

 

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JIYONG-AH!!

 

P. S. 

 

I didn't know how to continue the story until Jiyong's birthday came up.  I suddenly had the urged to write.  I hope this is the inspiration I was lacking.

HENGSHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!