Because of her…

Complete Our Family Portrait

Chapter IX: Because of her…

 

“What took you so long?” The three giants were standing side by side in front of unni and me as we stepped into the house. All were giving questioning looks and I gazed up at unni and saw how dejected her expression was. Ever since the pretty lady, I mean the woman named Boa left our sight, unni haven’t uttered yet a single word.

 

She gave the things she had on her hands to appa then went straight upstairs, to the guest room where she stayed last night.

 

“What just happened?” The four of us were staring at the upper end of the stairs as the adults didn’t have any clue.

 

“Sofi?” Appa called, looking so much bothered from the way unni behaved and enquiring for some answers. And there’s nothing I can do but to say the truth about meeting the pretty lady a while ago. I, for certain, really am curious about Boa’s existence.

 

Who is she? And why does she have this great impact to my family?

 

But before I can even reply, Liyin unni came down with her bag occupying her hand. “Let’s go home” She softly said with no emotions detected on her voice.

 

“But-” Uncle signaled auntie to stop as unni continued to walk out of the hallway leading to the main door.

 

“We all don’t know what happened but let her be for now. Just call us if you need anything” Uncle Yunho advised and appa nodded in agreement while auntie sighed in defeat. “Sofi, bear hug?” He opened his arms and I granted his request.

 

When we went out, unni was leaning her back on the side of the car, with her head down low. Why are you being like this unni? I need to talk to you. I need to ask you so many queries going on in my mind.

 

“Sorry for all the trouble” Appa said goodbye as he unlocked the car doors and unni instantly went in the back, continuing to be the silent as she is.

 

“Wait!” Auntie shouted and the three of us turned at her direction. “Here” She handed my appa a medium container. “They haven’t eaten yet so I packed Sofi’s fave”

 

“Thank you auntie!” I grinned and obviously grabbed the box from my appa. I surely can’t wait to go home and eat my favourite dish!

 

“Thanks. See you next time” Appa lastly said before both of us went in the car. I waved at the couple as appa started the engine and drove back to our house.

 

I constantly glanced back at unni who still remained the same while my worries kept on increasing. Appa, on the other hand, seemed to be in deep thought. Gaaah~ I don’t want this atmosphere! At all!!!

 

As we arrived home, she was the first one who strode out to the door, opened it with her key and entered her room. Apparently, appa saw me standing at the middle of the living room while I kept on pondering what I should do to change unni back.

 

“Come here baby girl” I was startled when appa scooped me up and that almost gave me a sudden heart attack. Seriously! But he just smiled widely and sat me down on one of the chairs in the dining room.

 

“You’re so bad appa” I gave him a pout but he stuck his tongue out at me then started preparing my lunch.

 

But, you know, for what you’ve done, I would sincerely like to thank you. I know you did that to cheer me up. But appa, piece of advice, unni needs it more than I do.

 

***

 

Time passed and sky changed from bright to dim, but the situation here was still stagnant.

 

Appa and I were sitting on the couch while unni was at the kitchen, washing the dishes. She initiated and didn’t budge when appa told her that he will do it. So here we are, waiting for her to finish.

 

“Baby girl” Appa gestured his hand for me to move close to him. “How was your day so far? And your Liyin unni?”

 

I looked deeply into his orbs and recognized that depression enveloping in it. Hearing his questions, it was obvious he’s implying to determine what occurred earlier and analyzed the situation by deducing from what I’ll tell him. But, for the second time around, I was stopped, unintentionally, by unni’s presence as she headed upstairs.

 

“Sofi, go to your room. Wait for me there” He whispered at me and I did what I was told. Not fully. I paused when I reached the second floor as I stared down at the other two.     

 

Wait a minute. This happened before, right? Oh no. Will they fight again? I fear for the worst but still have a little bit of hope that the outcome is not what I have in mind.

 

“Liyin, can we talk?” Appa held her arm before she can leave the place. “I thought we’re okay now? Why are you being like this? Is it me?”

 

“No” She plainly replied, tilting her head to the side to avoid his eyes.

 

“Something’s wrong, even if you deny it, it’s visible. Tell me Liyin, what’s bothering you?” He was confused, assuming all along that it was, once again, his fault.

 

“I saw her” She turned and completely looked straight up at appa before continuing “I finally saw unni, Boa unni” Saying the name, I felt my heart beat rapidly and my hands were shaking, tensed that appa will get angry but unni stood still, probably wanting to know appa’s expression which I may say, was not totally good. He seemed annoyed with the unexpected declamation of the name.

 

“Liyin, we’re serious here. What you said…isn’t funny at all” He let go of her arms and crossed his instead while giving her a piercing glare.

 

“What?! Do you think I’m just fooling around?! I’m not! I really saw her!” Unni retorted, anger heard in her voice. And she started to tear up. Really, I can’t take this anymore. I dashed down and hugged her.

 

“Stop it. Stop it please. Don’t fight anymore” I sobbed while clinging at unni who kneeled down and embraced me.

 

“Sshhh…Sofi, please don’t cry. I’m sorry” Unni soothed my back. “We’re not…oppa and I were not fighting” Right there, I want to mock her. Stop lying unni, stop with the excuses. I know both of you were suffering and it pained me to witness such scene. Instead of dealing what should be the solution, you’re both taking this to a negative approach.

 

Somehow, I calmed down a bit, probably from unni’s warmth and comfort. “Right oppa?” She asked but I sensed some hesitancy; nevertheless, appa agreed.  

 

“Unni, let’s sleep” I actually begged her and she gave me a nod before lifting me up and we went upstairs to my room. Although I want them to resolve the issue, I can’t bear to have this kind of talk. I want to have a happy family, no fights and no lies. Just a simple, complete and happy family. That’s all I ask but why can’t I attain it?  

 

Both of us were lying on my bed while appa was leaning on the wall near the door. Unni hummed a lullaby and I closed my eyes. After a couple of minutes, I felt unni left the bed, heard faint footsteps and the sound of the door closing. They probably thought I was already asleep when in fact, I was just pretending. I wanted to sleep, to go to dreamland but this anxious feeling was holding me back.

 

I slowly opened my eyes and quickly peeked at the slightly opened door to see appa and unni having their talk once again, but unlike before, they were calm.

 

“Then what happened?”

 

“She…She doesn’t know me” Unni twitched when she uttered that. Completely taken aback from the pretty lady’s comment, she was disheartened.

 

“How come she doesn’t? You just said it Liyin, you probably got the wrong person. We both know she’s..” Appa was trying to convince her but knowing unni for over a half a decade now, she’s one stubborn girl.

 

“No! It’s her! I’m sure of it” Unni debated and assured her point while appa deeply sighed, knowing he won’t easily change unni’s view on this.

 

“Liyin..”

 

“Stop it oppa, just stop it” She firmly understood this wasn’t going anywhere, might as well drop the convincing. “You won’t even believe me how much I tried. You never did”

 

“I believe you Yin…but for this one, I don’t think I can” And that made unni’s heart shattered.

 

“Why?” My eyes widened when suddenly she grabbed appa’s collar and shook him. “Answer me oppa, why?!”

 

“Tell me why. Why are you giving up so damn easily?” She punched his chest while tears stained her face.

 

Appa held her hands then gently wiped the tears away. “Because I don’t want to remember her” He said softly but with agony written on his face while unni’s grip loosened and hands dropped on her sides. Definitely, she was shocked with appa’s confession.

 

And that was the second time I saw his eyes glisten and a teardrop fell. “Never would I want to reminisce the past…to be broken, to feel abandoned, and to face the fact that I let her slip without doing anything. I don’t want to live with that conscience anymore. I made a terrible mistake Liyin and I don’t want to do it again. And besides, I have you and Sofi, that’s all I ask for”

 

Her expression softened, she was touched but looking at unni felt like she’s conveying the message that it wasn’t right, that it wasn’t the best decision.

 

“Please stop living in this masked reality. You’re not to be blamed, oppa. For all I know, it’s not your fault. She might have her reasons. And stop convincing yourself that it’s your mistake, and even if it is, don’t let it stay as that, it’s not too late to make things right.”

 

“I don’t know…I don’t know what to do anymore…it’s just…I wanted to move on, I need to but still, I can’t find myself accepting that…that she’s…” He bit his lip and looked down, but he can’t control it any longer as tears found its way out from his eyes.  

 

In a matter of second, unni embraced appa and rubbed his back while the latter encircled his arms on her and began to cry. I didn’t know when but I was also tearing, watching my dearest family shared that vague pain.

 

“I’m going to prove to you that Boa unni is back” Unni announced as they let go of each other. “And she’s alive”

 

My heart stopped when I heard that and I covered my mouth to prevent any sound I might cause. Appa only showed a sad smile and patted unni on the shoulder.

 

“Goodnight dongsaeng”

 

“Goodnight oppa”

 

And before I know it, I bumped into the door, or more likely, the door bumped me when unni pushed it, clueless that I was just behind.

 

“What the…Sofi? You’ve been eavesdropping?”

 

“Sorry unni” I answered while rubbing my forehead which hurt actually. Well, I wasn’t technically eavesdropping ‘cause I’ve also seen them. Anyways.

 

“Let’s put you back to bed, nosy girl” She tsked before holding my hand.

 

“Am not! I’m just…curious...about Boa” I huffed but allowed her to pull me towards the bed. “So you’re going to find her, unni?”

 

She heaved a sigh as she put the blanket on both of us “I will but I don’t know where or how to start”

 

“Then I’ll tell you a little secret of mine” And she eyed me suspiciously.

 

***

 

A/N Finally! XD Sofi’s back once again. How are you unni?

 

I think this story is a bit dragging..sorry, but I’ll ask yuichi unni to let appa and Liyin unni meet the pretty lady soon!!

 

I got nothing to do yesterday so I made this! XD Who’s your bet? HAHA! 

 

@Foldername ~ Hi~ thank you for commenting at chapter 8 but it was deleted, same as the chapter itself when aff had some problems last two weeks but I’ve read it, thank you!!

 

@jhen414kpopaddict ~ I love it too! sorry appa..but there’s still no BoA-Unni/Appa/Me interaction yet, kindly wait ne? thanks unni 

 

@meeeyi ~ hi auntie~! Haha! I’m just kidding XD Welcome to my story unni :) (yuichi: about Sofi, I was inspired by my niece hehe..she’s one witty girl and fun to be with..and I soooo wanna see BoJoong’s perf!! But I agree with you there hahaha! Nice meeting you (^u^)  

 

Thank you all for the continuous support!

 

‘Til next update.