That Very Moment

Complete Our Family Portrait

Chapter XIII: That Very Moment

 

"Tell me again why we are walking instead of riding in appa's car?" I looked up at Liyin unni as we both crossed the street. It's not that I hated it, in fact, I like the idea of going to school on foot once in a while to get some exercise in the morning and besides we always do it when going home but I just got used to arrive at school by car and I’m still sleepy.

 

"Well, one, your appa said he needs to do something this morning and two, he's a pabo oppa" She smirked and for all I know by the time she’d said that, she had already received a playful smack on the head if appa is with us and as usual, unni will take her revenge.

 

But honestly, I do wonder what appa is up to. He could've driven us and moreover, it's just a five-minute ride. But I guess it seemed important since he's in a hurry a while ago.

 

"We're almost there" Unni announced and I placed my hand on my chest, suddenly feeling my heart throbbed so fast as I remembered what happened that day.

 

“Let’s go home, omma”

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me”

 

“I’m sorry, but we need to go”

 

Unni squeezed my little hand and certainly, she felt the same though I bet it was stronger for her since she knew Boa long before I met the latter. And she knows something I'm still not aware of.

 

Just as we were a few steps near the school gate, unni stopped on her tracks. "I don't think I can go in there, baby girl" The worry and anxiousness that were reflected in her eyes made me sick - because I know the reason behind those emotions.

 

The reality.

 

What if unni's assumptions were right? What if that clumsy boy is really Boa’s son? What will happen now? What will happen afterwards? Does our mission end after knowing the truth? Just like that? And if that's the case, I don't think unni can handle it.

 

"Sorry Sofi, but will you be alright entering the school by yourself?" She asked. "It's just that.." She's finding the right words to say but I beamed at her, showing confidence which she's lacking right now. I nodded and took my bag at her other hand. Who knows what might happen if unni and Boa saw each other.

 

She smiled back at me. "Thanks, baby girl" But that smile curved downward so fast.

 

"Why not accompany her inside?"

 

"Junsu oppa!" I exclaimed as he grinned at me and winked at unni. He walked towards us, giving a huge space between the two of them. But why is he here?

 

"What are you doing here? Wait, are you stalking me?" So here comes the mad unni. She narrowed her eyes at him, placing a hand on her hip. But it made me at ease to see her worries washed away the instant she saw him. Thank you, oppa!

 

"Woah there, stalking you? If I recall, I came here first and who knows, maybe you're the one who's stalking me" He gave her a cocky grin and his words left unni dumbfounded. This is so amusing to watch. "And what am I doing here? Interested in me now?" He looked at her, feigning surprise and I was stifling my laugh for all I could. And it's not long before unni exploded and throwing words at him who, well, pretending not to hear.

 

"Okay, okay" He put his hands up in the air. "I didn't know you can be this loud. What happen when in school?" He asked but not really waiting for an answer as he faced me and suddenly lifted me up. "Well then, since Miss Temperamental here doesn't want to go inside, may I have the honor to Princess Sofi to her classroom?" He offered and that earned a giggle from me. Good thing unni didn't protest and actually allowed him to take me inside as I bid her goodbye.

 

"Here we are, my princess" He put me down and made a formal bow which I returned.

 

"I like you oppa than the dream guy" I confessed and that made him curious. But before he can ask me, a classmate of mine called and I ran towards her after thanking my sweet prince.

 

***

 

"Hi" I looked up and saw her. Yes. None other than the pretty lady. Playing with my friends made me forget somehow my own worries and now, I was staring at her, at loss of words. "Can I sit here?" She continued and I blinked a few times and nodded at her as I went back to my drawing.

 

Teacher Yoojin told us during circle time that the family day event will be just a couple of weeks to go and asked us to paint our family on a canvas since it will be framed and all our paintings will be displayed in an exhibit. All of us were excited especially me since I really like to draw.

 

But then, like a snap of a finger, a realization came to mind and made me sigh deeply.

 

It's because of my mother.

 

I don't know how she looks like and even contemplating to paint her or not. I was jealous as I observed my classmates as they started painting the image of their mother first but for me, I don't have the slightest idea on how to paint her.

 

Even so, putting that thought aside, I hold a brush in my hand and started drawing my very own family.

 

"Can I see your painting?" Pretty lady asked and I slowly put my hands off the canvas. "Can you tell me about it?" I watched her hold a pen and paper in each hand, waiting for my answer.

 

"You see, Teacher Yoojin told me to ask everyone about their paintings since we're going to put it as caption below each frame so people will know more about what you've painted" She explained the reason when I didn't answer her question. It's not that I don't want to talk to her, I do, but the scene that day about Liyin unni confronting her and the words the boy had said to her kept replaying on my mind. And to think that she might ask about my mother, I don't know what to say. I don’t know how to describe her.

 

"Sofi?" And that snapped me out of my thoughts. "Do you want to tell me about your family?" I gazed at her and there's something strange at her expression and voice. She seemed uneasy and scared in a way, like she really doesn't want to know about my family, but at the same time, she sounded the opposite of what I thought, like she's desperate to know.

 

"Do you want me to?" I asked her cautiously and that made her clear . She then nodded and offered a small smile. And so, I started.

 

"This is appa, unni, halmeoni, harabeoji, auntie, uncle, and me. And this are the flowers my halmeoni..." I narrated. I painted the seven of us, less my mother, just like the photo we took one day when we’re at the back of my grandparents' house. Whenever all of us went there, we make it a point to have a picnic while enjoying the view of the large garden. Appa and Uncle Yunho sitting on the long chair, Halmeoni and Harabeoji between them while Aunt Seulgi, Liyin unni and I were at the ground sitting in front of the four. All were smiling at the camera.

 

I saw the pretty lady writing on the paper as I was telling her the story of my painting. When she'd finished, she glanced at me and bit her lip, like she was hesitating herself to open her lips and say something.

 

But she did. And my eyes widened as she asked about her. 

 

"How about your mother?" Oh no.

 

I was still on my spot for a minute until I felt her hands held mine gently.

 

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me, I understand" She gave me a smile again and was about to stand but I stopped her.

 

"She's in heaven" I said, looking down at my lap, fidgeting my fingers and waiting for her response. Another reason why I don’t want to tell about it is because I don’t want people to make fun of my situation. I don’t want anyone to tease me because I don’t have a mother. That will crush me. But she is a kind pretty lady, I can see that. That’s why I decided to tell her.

 

And before I knew it, I was in her arms and she was caressing my back. "I'm sorry" I heard her say. "But don't worry, I know that she's here beside you, always looking out for you even though you cannot see her" And that moment, I smiled. I smiled because of what she said and I smiled because of the warmth of her hug.

 

“It’s fine” I said, actually surprising myself that I’ve said that, but continued “It’s true that we’re not complete but I am so lucky to have them. I love them so much”

 

She pulled away and gave me a warm smile. She went silent for a bit before she added another question. "Can I ask you something?" I nodded. "May I…May I know who your appa is?"

 

"Jaejoong appa" I answered obviously but what I can't fathom was that she froze after hearing the words. I looked at her eyes and saw it glisten. But before I can do anything, she quickly stood up, taking the paper and pen in her trembling hands and went to Teacher Yoojin's office which we're not allowed to enter unless told to do so.

 

Throughout the remaining class hours, I haven't seen her anymore and thought that she already left the school. And during the class activities, all I can think of was her eyes. Those eyes that were about to cry and I still don't know the reason why. Does appa's name can make someone tear up? How's that possible? Weird.

 

I told myself that if I saw her again, I will ask her about her reaction and definitely about her son, if we’re right. But it’s not that I'm interested to that clumsy boy, but about pretty lady's family and if that boy is her real son.

 

***

 

"Unni's late again?" Teacher Yoojin sat beside me as I waited for Liyin unni to arrive.

 

"Unni, phone" I looked back and saw the pretty lady called for my teacher. Oh my. She's here. She's still here! I suddenly felt nervous. And when her eyes landed on mine, she felt the same.

 

"Can you stay with Sofi for awhile?" My teacher asked her as she took the phone from the latter and entered her office.

 

"Do you want to play?" Pretty lady asked as she kneeled at the toy corner and picking up the basket of blocks but stopped after I talked.

 

"I want to ask you something too"

 

She put down the basket back to its place and sighed before facing me. I felt like throwing up after staring at her eyes. Why am I feeling this? Aigoo Sofi. You're just going to ask her. That's all. Calm down now.

 

"Will it be alright if I first get some cookies for you?" She asked and I was eager to nod. She then stood up and went to the kitchen.

 

For once, I thought she was avoiding me. But then, why would she? Did I do or say something wrong? Gaah! It's making me crazy!

 

"Baby girl, I'm sorry I'm late" I quickly turned my head at the main door and I was grinning from ear to ear.

 

I dashed towards him who's already crouching down to envelope me in his arms. "Did you wait so long?"

 

"Where's unni, appa? I thought she's the one.."

 

"Here you go, Sof.." The pretty lady entered the room, holding a plate of cookies.

 

And it was like that when pure silence covered the whole room.

 

As they stared at each other for the longest time.

 

***

 

A/N: It's been so long. Thank you for making time to read my story :)