The Beginning of Their Love

Complete Our Family Portrait

Chapter XIV: The Beginning of Their Love

 

Words were sealed by their own lips. Voices were lost at that very moment. Actions were vanished by the impact. But the eyes. Their eyes were the only way they have expressed everything they’ve felt.

 

Shutting everyone out, it’s just like both can only recognize each other’s presence. Not mine. Nothing else. No one else. Jus the two of them.

 

Looking back and forth, it’s as if time stopped and the scene turned black and white. No hues that depict other emotions but plain sadness and the unknown.

 

But the thing that most stood out and eminent of them all was the look on their faces.

 

They stayed in that position for a while before they came back on their own reveries as the sound of the tray holding the cookies clicked on the tiled floor and echoed in the room. And it would have been my wish that they remain like that forever if I’d known what’s going to happen afterwards.

 

Appa unwrapped his arms around me. Standing slowly, still locking his gaze at the pretty lady, he warily made a step forward, not uttering a single word.

 

And it caused the pretty lady to do the same. To move a step. But a step away from us.

 

And that halted appa to go any farther.

 

“You’re not real” His lips parted finally. As I followed his gaze, I saw how those words had severely wrecked the pretty lady, even without her admitting it as her face showed negative emotions - hurt, fear and longing.

 

“Tell me you’re not real” Appa tried to move again as his voice quivered and she did the equivalent until her back pressed on the door frame of the kitchen.

 

“No. Please, no” The pretty lady begged as her eyes glinted with unshed tears but that didn’t stop appa to raise his hand to touch her face.

 

“Boa”

 

Just that word. That word that made her shove him with all her might as appa stumbled a few steps back because of her sudden action. And she went straight in the kitchen, slamming and locking the door in a swift movement.

 

In an instant, appa was in front of that door, holding the knob, trying to open it but then ultimately banging his fist on the wooden door.

 

“Boa!” He yelled and I was still standing from where appa left me, feeling something indescribable. Too many emotions sharply hit me at once and I don’t really know what to feel at that moment. Seeing appa hurting like this, I can’t bear to watch him but my eyes won’t move away from him.

 

“Open the door! Boa!”

 

Suddenly, the door of the office flew open, revealing my teacher who’s looking alarmed and confused as she found appa at the adjacent side of the room.

 

“Open this door! Damn it!” And that made my teacher come to his side, pulling him away from the single piece of wood that stand between him and the pretty lady. But she can’t do anything about it. He was way stronger than her and appa became a stranger in my eyes. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen him behave like this. Like all the emotions pent up deep inside his heart rushed out of his system, and the second the pretty lady left his sight, it transformed him into something out of his element.

 

He was angry, that’s a fact. But behind that demeanor, there’s something much more than that that I can’t pin point out yet.    

 

“What’s taking you so…” My head tilted to the left as Uncle Yunho entered the main door, oblivious of the commotion. But then,

 

“Stop it, Mr. Kim, or I will call the police”

 

Uncle Yunho glanced at me then when he saw appa and my teacher, his eyes flashed with confusion and when he heard Teacher Yoojin’s threat, he hurriedly went to appa and pulled the latter away from the door of the kitchen.

 

“Jae, stop it” He was having a hard time dragging appa outside as the latter kept on struggling. But even so, uncle is bigger and muscular. He exerted more force until they were in front of the main door and pushed appa’s chest as he fell down. “What the hell was that?!” I heard him, already mad, and I was so shocked, eyes wide and having a hard time to breathe.

 

Appa looked helpless. He was trembling and that’s when I realized the reason. He was crying. He’s crying his heart out, pleading for the pretty lady to see her. And that shattered me. I cried also.

 

Before I knew it, my uncle was shouting appa’s name and I’m being cradled into Aunt Seulgi’s arms, assuring me that everything will be fine but I know it won’t be. Not so soon.

 

“Jaejoong! Come back here!” Uncle exclaimed and I quickly rushed outside and saw appa driving his car, and that’s when I understood and feared, he’s getting far away from me.

 

***

 

I felt the bed dip as Liyin unni climbed onto the bed and rested beside me. Neither of us spoke, earning a bit of silence before she sighed.

 

She went straight to me when she came home, all too worried about me because of the scene at the school. Auntie must’ve called her since I wasn’t being myself just a while ago – trauma they said and unni was the only one I know who can comfort me at that time.

 

I was crying when she saw me and I clung to her because of the overflowing emotions I can’t handle anymore. I don’t know why I was overreacting but there’s just something that passed through me when I witnessed appa and the pretty lady’s meeting. It’s like I understood the feelings they’ve communicated with each other and it’s a devastating one.

 

Aunt Seulgi went home after making sure I was alright while Uncle Yunho kept on calling appa’s phone and still looking for him at this very second. I don’t know where appa gone off to but I’m desperately hoping he didn’t go to Hyo Joo as what I’ve heard unni and auntie talking about as an option.

 

“How are you feeling?” Unni cut my line of thoughts and said that with a concerned look. I just shrugged because I don’t know how to answer that. Yes because you’re here. No because appa left. Is that it? But that’s not enough from what I felt.

 

“Will appa be fine?” I asked her next, wanting a positive response but she didn’t and that wounded me. I want to believe that everything’s back to normal, just before the meet up, but I guess unni was just so honest and I guess it’s better that way. So that my hopes won’t be so high up because when reality hits me, those hopes would be crashing down hard on me.

 

“I don’t know, Sofi. I guess, after seeing Boa unni, he just lost it” Unni started and I sat up, turning my full attention at her. She was staring at the ceiling but she was in deep thought.

 

“Why?” I managed to say. She glanced at me then closed her eyes for a bit, like preparing herself what to reply or possibly thinking how to change the subject. And then she opened her eyes and sat up, facing me.

 

“I need you to listen to me, Sofi, so you’ll understand why your appa reacted like that” She softly said, showed a small smile and I nodded, readying myself.

 

“They were college sweethearts” She spilled. “Oppa was this popular guy, you know – good looks, wealth, charisma, high IQ, name it. He has them all but not so much in the attitude department. He was so cold, I tell you, especially to those girls who wanted to get his attention every time. Oh baby girl, he was scary as hell. It’s like he has this strong black aura that tells you to back off slash I’m-not-interested-in-you but seriously, his fans were so persistent. And that’s why he was called The Unreachable” She stopped, waiting for my reaction and when I chuckled, she grinned.

 

“I know, right? Seriously, who came up with that title? That’s just so lame. I heard he was also called The Untouchable. I mean can that even get any worse? And well…well, that’s also the reason other guys didn’t want to befriend him. They thought he’s so arrogant and full of himself. Some were just afraid of him while some…”

 

She again stopped speaking but only because she saw my expression. Confusion etched on my face. I’m not sure if she was telling the truth or not because there’s no way appa was like that cold-hearted guy. I mean, yeah, he was scary when he gets mad and all, but to think that he’s totally like that before and people saying bad stuff about him, it’s unbelievable.

 

And as if unni read my mind, she continued. “I know it’s hard to believe that” I told you we’re best friends. “You know, the coldest and yet the hottest guy during his time. Complete opposite but that’s just how he was back then. Except of course not to us – me, Yunho oppa, Seulgi unni and some of their close friends”

 

“Close friends? He has other friends?” I inquired and that made unni look at me like I was out of my mind.

 

“Of course he has friends, silly. He’s not anti-social, you know” She laughed and I did too because I found it hilarious. Okay, when I asked her that, I didn’t mean it to be that way. I asked her because I was wondering who those close friends are. I’ve never met any of appa’s, just some of his business partners and clients.

 

“I didn’t mean that, unni. But who are they? I haven’t met them” I reasoned and that’s when unni finally got me.

 

“You’ve met them, baby girl, but you were just about one year old that time. You know, they can put up with oppa’s attitude and that’s why their friendship is so strong” I nodded in understanding and became interested to appa’s friends. I seriously need to meet them!

 

“Anyways, as what I’m saying, oppa, behind what people thought of him, was really a caring guy. He’s the nicest man I’ve ever met, not because I’m biased and he’s my oppa but really, he got a soft heart to people whom he cares about. And I bet you know that, because he’s taking care of you so well. You’re a blessing for him, Sofi”

 

And that made my heart flutter and made me smile from ear to ear. I’ve never been this delighted and overjoyed. Hearing unni say that, I became more proud of appa and so lucky that God made me his daughter. I would never even think twice to claim that he’s the best dad in the whole wide world!

 

“Then came Boa unni” Unni continued and I engaged myself back to her story. “She’s actually an exchange student and she’s really a cool unni. And, oh boy, the moment Jaejoong oppa and Boa unni laid their eyes at each other, war had just begun”

 

“War?” Well, that totally peaked my interest. Having known appa and the pretty lady, if she’s really the Boa they know, it’s impossible for them to hate each other. I mean they’re so nice but remembering what unni described appa before, then I guess it can happen? But still.

 

“One look, you know that they dislike each other but a close look also makes you see that they love each other” Okay? Then that made me lost the conversation. I didn’t catch what unni just said. How can you dislike someone and yet love that person at the same time? There’s no such thing as that. Right?

 

“I don’t get you unni” I stated and she gave me a smile. 

 

“It’s them, Sofi. You don’t get them. We don’t get them” That’s it. I don’t really get it at all.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Hmm, how do I say this? People around them thought that they’re destined to be enemies as long as they live because whenever they saw those two, they’re always losing their tempers on each other. And get this, no one would have imagined that they’re already developing feelings for each other. And also no one gets how they started to love one another, given that they fought always. People just realized that those two are suddenly in love. And they thought it was the end of the world”  

 

Unni looked at me humorously and expectantly, thinking that I would finally get what she means but instead I furrowed my brows together and pursed my lips at her before saying, “Why can’t they get it?”

 

She beamed at my expression. “You’re so cute, baby girl” She pinched my cheeks after then she started explaining again. “We don’t get it because it’s love”

 

“And love is…well when that love occurred between two people, they shared that special feeling that no one else in the entire universe can have. It’s just between the two of them. That unique love they have for each other that no one can ever replace. Other people don’t get it because the only ones who gets it are the both of them. Still with me?” Unni elaborated and I was still processing her words in my brain. Somehow I’m getting where she’s going but not yet there. It’s still unclear to me.

 

And seemingly I still didn’t quite get that, she spoke again.

 

“It’s just that Jaejoong oppa and Boa unni met at the wrong time. But what I believed in is that from the very beginning, they already fell from each other but like I said, wrong time so, that love they have were concealed by hatred but still, the love was there. And it took them almost a year to find that love they’ve hidden. They did fight quite a lot after but it only made them love each other more”

 

“But why do they have to fight when there’s love?” I asked again because although I almost understand unni, the last sentence fogged my brain.

 

Knowing that unni thought I was having a hard time, she expounded more. “You see, baby girl, love is in every part of a relationship. There are moments that you’re both happy but that’s not what completes that love. It also involves fights, misunderstandings and the like. There are a lot of times that you both fight and think of distancing yourself with your other half and thought of giving up but when you believe on that love you shared, those fights were just reminders of how much that love can get stronger” She finished and I stared at her for a couple of seconds, still registering her explanation. I know I do understand a lot of things but I think unni considered me as a grown up.

 

And as I didn’t speak, she heaved a deep breath and I know she’s losing her patience. “Let’s see, it can also be the same as the love you have with your Jaejoong appa and the love he has with you. But there are times you get mad at him, right? But then you stopped getting mad at him because he does anything he can do to make you smile again. It’s because he believes on that love you both have and that makes you love him more. True? Then let me ask you. How much do you love your appa?”

 

I opened my mouth to answer but closed it instead since I realized I don’t know what to say. I know I love my appa but to measure that precious love we have? It can’t be quantified.

 

“It’s beyond words and numbers, unni” I replied after a while, not sure if unni gets what I mean but I saw her nodding in approval.

 

“Then there” She pointed out and I raised a brow at her. “People around you don’t know how much you love your appa. Only you, baby girl, and your appa knows it. And only you and your appa knows how much he loves you. You have that love that’s only for the both of you. And you both know that being angry or having fights can’t surpass that love because you know that love is stronger between the two of you”

 

I formed an O on my mouth as it finally dawned on me what she’s trying to say and she showed a knowing smile before continuing her story.

 

“It’s true that Jaejoong oppa and Boa unni fought all the time, not physically of course. It’s like they can’t stand breathing the same air. And to make things worse for oppa, well that’s what he thought at first, Boa unni and Seulgi unni hit it off really well and became best friends and in no time she’s part of the group and also meaning that there’s always tension when the whole group are together because of those two love birds but at the end, they got used to it” She finished and I looked up to my side, wearing that thinking face. “Sofi?” Unni called.

 

“If that’s the case, then when did they start loving each other? I mean excluding your opinion earlier” I asked since I’m quite uncertain she gave me a clear answer to that.

 

“There!” Unni pointed out again and I raised my brow again. “You don’t get them. We don’t get them” And we both laughed. “They didn’t tell us so you see, Sofi, the answers to that are still a mystery”

 

“Uh-huh”

 

“But I do know when they became officially a couple and it was unexpected. Totally unexpected” Unni wiggled her brows and started grinning as she recalled the scenes.

 

And I copied her expression. “You soooo need to tell me that”

 

“Okay. Okay” She chuckled. “If I remember correctly, their group was throwing a birthday bash for Boa unni but she didn’t know that. All she knew was she’s having dinner with the girls. Fast forward, she was surprised and having a great time until oppa ruined it, well they said it’s really not his fault, I’m not sure. We saw oppa, uhm, we heard Boa unni screamed at oppa and ran outside the house then in a second he followed her. We didn’t know where they went. They didn’t comeback for an hour. And then the unexpected I told you happened” She said as that grin still plastered on her face because we both know she’s nearing to her answer.

 

“What?” I prompted her, feeling curious and so eager to hear her.

 

“We were cleaning the house that time and we suddenly heard Seulgi unni’s infamous squeal and when we followed her gaze, there stood the both of them, Boa unni and Jaejoong oppa. They showed up and they were HOLDING HANDS!”

 

“Oh My God!”

 

***

 

 A/N: yuichi here :) This chapter is actually the first part of Jaejoong and Boa’s past so this update ended like that and it’s a bit long (for me) so I decided to cut it into two.

 

CorinneluvSnsd4ever9: I’m glad! Thank you so much :)

 

FolderName: haha about Jae’s name, I totally get that =D about Liyin and Boa, you’ll know later :)

 

DearIC: oh how I wish Sofi meets Yoobin and they’ll become bff hehe SuYin ftw XD though I also like Donghae for Liyin :) and TWINS! I never thought of that but that’s a great twist! Haha (but not gonna do that ‘cause you won’t be surprised anymore at the end and I already planned the story as I started Sofi's story hehe). And I’m waiting for your update also! :)

 

meeeyi: yeah they weren’t able to explain because Boa isn’t ready for that yet. Let’s just hope Sofi will come up with a plan. About Liyin and Boa, can’t tell you that yet (sorry). But I definitely want Sofi and Yoobin to meet! =)

 

Hanmie: Hi :) thank you for reading Sofi’s story. Let’s hope for that :)

 

Thank you all for reading, voting and subscribing. ‘Til next update :)