The Sign In Front Of My Eyes

Complete Our Family Portrait

Chapter VIII: The Sign In Front Of My Eyes

 

“We’re here!” I announced when appa and I stepped into Uncle Yunho’s house as I dashed towards the living room only to find uncle's wife, Aunt Seulgi, blocking my dearest Liyin unni’s way to go upstairs in which the latter was crossing her arms and glaring at the person behind me.

 

Uh-oh. Will there be a fight this early in the morning? Hope not.

 

“I see, you’ve arrived” I looked at my back and saw uncle entering the scene while holding two plastic bags full of groceries. He turned his gaze to auntie and unni’s side then back at my appa before clearing his throat. “Sofi, want to help me and yeobo cook lunch?”

 

I stared at him for a while before completely getting his point from the sign his eyes gave off. “Yes, Sofi, come assist us. We’ll cook your favorite!” Aunt Seulgi cheered happily then went to hold my hand and pulled me to the kitchen after she whispered something to unni who dropped her arms and sighed.

 

I took one last glance at appa and unni who were still staying at their positions, neither uttering any words nor looking at each other. 

 

“Sofi, why don’t you play with Yunnie at the garden?” I tilted my head to auntie and gave her a confused look.

 

“But I thought we’re going to prepare our lunch?” The couple faced each other, finding an excuse to answer me but instead I exposed what their real intention earlier. “I know you just said that so we can leave appa and unni alone, I’m not that dumb auntie. They have a problem, that’s for sure, but do you think they’ll be able to sort things out and reconcile?” Then both of them smiled. 

 

“Aigoo~ I guess there’s no point in hiding it to you then” Uncle lifted me up and pinched my nose as I grinned in return. “Though you have a child’s body, you’re very open-minded. Reminds me of Bo..”

 

“Yah!” Auntie shouted instantly and uncle bit his lip, seemingly nervous, realizing what he was about to say next.

 

Bo? Bo? Bo…A? 

 

“You mean BoA?” I uttered but didn’t know that my question was like dropping a bomb right next to them. Both have shocked expressions plastered on their faces and I would have laughed if I’m not that curious with that person’s identity right now.

 

“Ho-how come you know that name?” Uncle asked as if there’s no possible way I would have known of that name and I rolled my eyes at him. Puh-lease. It was in the book “The Little Prince” wherein it was being thought of a hat instead of a boa constrictor. Duh~ 

 

And also..  

 

“I’ve heard it twice from unni. Waeyo? Who is she, uncle? Appa got angry when unni said her name last night” And I cringed remembering what happened. I would never ever want my appa to be mad at me, that’s just too scary. 

 

Silence enveloped the room after a couple of seconds as my curiosity tripled when both of them were still not answering. Footsteps were heard and looking at the door, stood my smiling appa and my red-and-puffy-face unni because of crying.

 

“Liyin, I need to speak with you alone” Before I even call her name, auntie beat me to it as she gently pushed unni towards the living room with a serious look on her face. Omo, I hope there will be no fights anymore.

 

“What just happened?” Appa spoke and I answered in behalf of uncle who was avoiding his eyes towards appa’s direction.

 

“Because of Boa” In an instant, I covered my mouth when the angry appa yesterday crossed my mind. Pabo Sofi! Pabo! Now, I’m in big trouble!

 

Rather than scolding me, I saw him stiffened after saying that ‘sacred’ name or much like a taboo word for me or as I thought. He didn't answer my third question last night, saying excuses and I didn't push further. 

 

I told uncle to put me down then I hugged appa’s leg as I shut my eyes tight. “Mianhe appa, I won’t say her name again so please don’t get angry”

 

I heard a deep sigh and felt appa’s hands untangling my arms from encircling his left leg. “I won’t” Slowly opening my eyes, seeing appa’s smile even if it’s a sad one made me feel at ease for a bit. At least I was safe from his cold self.

 

Just after that moment, auntie returned to the kitchen and went straight to get the groceries out of the bags followed by a pouting Liyin unni. I wonder what they had talked about, observing unni now like a child sulking at the corner. Hmm..

 

“Gwenchana?” I stood in front of her and lifted up my head to meet her eyes with mine but all she did was to pout more.

 

“Where is it yeobo? You didn’t forget to buy some spring onions and gochujang, did you?” Auntie threw the questions while rummaging inside the bags, giving her husband her ‘how-can-you-forget’ look. Uncle thought deeply, maybe wondering if he really forgot to buy those or if he’s probably just really getting old.

 

“Tch” Auntie glared at uncle then turned her direction to unni. “Liyin, do me a favor, can you buy those two since this great husband of mine failed to do so” She said sarcastically and appa, unni and I chuckled at the focus of attention who scowled jokingly after.

 

***

 

“Thanks for shopping” The workers greeted us just before we left the supermarket. Yeah, I tagged along with unni since I missed our girl bonding together.

 

“Unni, are you at peace with appa now?” I asked so I can officially confirm that they’re okay and no more fights in our household. Gosh, I missed our lovey-dovey family! 

 

“We are. Sorry for making you worry Sofi-ah” She crouched down and kissed my cheek. 

 

“Yeah! Don’t ever leave me, araso unni?” I placed my hands on my hips and demanded a positive answer.

 

“Yes boss!” She saluted and we both laughed at our silliness. “Ah! Sofi, want some dessert?” Unni clapped her hands and I don’t know but she seemed to be too excited with her idea. Kind of suspicious. Oh well, we’re talking about dessert so yeah!!!

 

When she said about dessert, my mind instantly pictured several flavors of ice creams and thought of buying a gallon for the five of us but never would I have imagined entering a pizza store with an enthusiastic unni who can’t erase that smile on her face. Ooh~ This is becoming really really suspicious. Now it’s time for Sofi: The Investigator!

 

I scanned the whole resto to search for people who might be the reason for unni’s giddiness and a certain someone caught my attention. How? It’s because most of the female customers were ogling at him – daydreaming or probably want to eat him alive. Of course I’m just exaggerating. But it’s just for a short period of time since this dream guy entered the room that are for employees only

 

Assuming their reactions would be the same as unni, it was actually the opposite. “What’s the problem?” I tugged on her shirt, feeling concerned with the sudden twist of emotions she had.

 

“Nothing, let’s just order”

 

***

 

We were sitting near the glass wall, waiting for our order to come while unni was still wearing that sad expression for quite a while now. 

 

“Unni, will you go home with us later? Appa doesn’t know how to tie my hair” I spoke and the plan to make her feel better succeeded when she laughed and patted my head, giving the answer I wanted to hear.

 

“Here’s your order Miss Liyin” A waiter, no scratch that, he’s clothes were not the same as of the waiters, came to us and placed our pizza on the table. And guess who? It’s the dream guy! I swiftly glanced at unni whose eyes were wide open.

 

 Okaaaay?

 

I don’t know anything but I think I’m getting something with that boyish smile of his and unni’s shy one.

 

“Ah-ah annyeonghaseyo” She stuttered with a blush on her cheeks and I smirked at her because she looked so cute and I can’t wait to tell appa about this! Haha! Evil Sofi is back!

 

 “Hi pretty girl. Are you Liyin’s sister?” He turned to my direction after greeting unni back and flashed me his same smile as before. I then glanced at unni who’s just staring at the guy dreamily. Well, someone’s in love. Ha! I should really tell appa about this!

 

“Her oppa is my appa” I shook my head and emphasized the last word just so it would make unni come back to her senses. 

 

“Omo!” Unni stood up and looked at her watch. “I’m really sorry but we have to go now. Thanks for the pizza” She bowed and grabbed the box of pizza and grocery bag. “Let’s go Sofi” She called and I also bowed at the guy then went out of the door, catching up with unni since she walked so fast but then stopped immediately when we’re far away from that store. 

 

“I know what you’re thinking. Don’t even dare to tell oppa about this” Liyin eyed me and I stuck my tongue at her. Yeah, she totally got me. This proves that best friends really know what the other one is thinking.

 

“Promise unni you’ll never ever utter a single word to oppa. Please Sofi, pretty please” Aigoo. How can I resist those puppy eyes?! Tch.

 

“Araso” I finally gave up but still thinking of confessing to appa. Teehee~ “Shall we go home now unni? I’m starving”

 

“Let’s go” I held her wrist since both her hands were holding the things we bought.

 

During our walk, we passed the town’s park and it suddenly made me think of my mission, seeing a happy family having a picnic at the grass near the pond. 

 

I wanted to…I wanted to be like that family. A complete family to be exact. Having a mother, probably, would be so freaking awesome. Making breakfast for appa, unni and me then dress me up so prettily, take me to school, kiss appa goodbye for work, wait for me until classes ended, have a mother-daughter bonding, cook dinner, and lull me to sleep. 

 

It’s a simple wish but until now it hasn’t been granted. Even if there’s someone in line who can be my mom, even if I force myself to like her, I can’t. 

 

Then the sound of something dropped to the ground set me back from my train of thoughts. 

 

“Unni?” Liyin unni called with a bit of hesitation and surprise mixed together. "Boa unni!" Tears flowed from her eyes and the next thing I knew, she was hugging the person in front of her. 

 

Wait a minute…

 

She’s…

 

Is this for real?

 

The lady…

 

She’s the pretty lady!!

 

Oh my God! Is this the sign?!  

 

***

 

A/N Sorry for the late update! T.T Well, I was wondering if I should post this chapter because of this: 

 

 

(wanna push Yunho's head a bit more XD) I’m turning into a BoHo lover! 

 

But...

 

 

BoJoong pls be strong and never leave my heart! XD

 

 

BoA: YUICHI, MAKE UP YOUR MIND! 

 

HAHA! I’m just kidding, but I both love Bojoong and Boho. ^u^

 

Thanks for reading!

 

Apparently, this chapter was lost over the weekend :(

 

Chapter IX is nearly done :)