My Family

Complete Our Family Portrait

Chapter I: My Family

 

It’s Sunday morning. The day when families get together and spend time with each other like having a picnic at the park or even going to church but look what state is my family right now. Liyin unni will be tutoring violin class today while appa is here in his room, hugging his pillow and still snoring. Such a sleepyhead. Tch.

 

“Appa!” I climbed on his bed and nudged him by the shoulder but all he did was groaned and continued sleeping again. “Joongie appa~ Wake up now!”

 

“Five more minutes baby girl” He uttered as he pulled his blanket over his head. Why is it so hard to wake him up?! I surely need to find my new omma so I won’t be doing this anymore…but on the other hand, it’s so good to see his handsome morning look and hear his airy voice. Ha!…oh no, I shouldn’t be thinking about this. Sofi focus!

 

I looked at appa and placed my hands on my waist. “You told me you’ll buy me a teddy bear. Appa~” I nudged him again but just my luck, he didn’t respond. I puffed my cheeks as I grew tired but then smirked when a thought came up to mind. And so, I quickly went out of the room and head towards the kitchen where Liyin unni is busy preparing our breakfast.

 

“Unni, ice please” She raised a brow but later on grinned when she realized what I’m planning to do. I told you, we’re partners in crime. “Doing it again?” She laughed then got some ice cubes from the fridge, put it in a glass and handed it over to me. I did my evil laugh when I saw the thing I needed on my hands and left her with a devious smirk.

 

I hurriedly ran upstairs and was about to storm in my appa’s room when he suddenly opened the door and I quickly hid the glass at my back then showed him my sweetest slash most innocent smile.

 

“I saw that” He crossed his arms and looked over my shoulder. “No more ice on my back, araso?” Argh, I wasn’t fast enough!  

 

He kept on eyeing me and the only thing I can do is to laugh nervously, scratch my head and say “Yes appa”

 

“That’s my girl” He lifted me up and being his loveable daughter, I gave him a morning kiss on the cheek. He smiled next and carried me all the way to the dining area.

 

“Morning oppa” Unni greeted as she placed her special dish on the table while I instantly scooped a spoonful of the soup and no, it’s not a tongue twister alright?

 

“So good!” I exclaimed after having a taste. Did I mention she’s also studying culinary arts besides being a music major? Oh, every day I think I’m gaining more weight and I'm blaming those two great cooks!

 

“You’re too cute Sofi” She said while pinching my cheeks and it’s the start of our morning routine - me telling how tasty her dish is, her telling me I’m cute and the two siblings start to bicker.

 

“Of course, she got her cuteness from me” See? My appa proudly stated but unni completely disagreed just like what she usually does.

 

“No way oppa. She got that from me” She stuck her tongue out to him and he did the same to her. Oh, how I love the way they tease each other. They’re just like children who kept on bickering and I feel like an adult watching over them. But I guess, with the fact that those two are the only children of my grandparents, they have a really close bond. And my role here goes on~

 

“Appa~ unni is right” I entered their conversation, earning a pout from him and a beam from her. “Because appa is handsome, not cute” I continued and he showed his handsome smile that those girls are dying for to see. Too bad for them, I can see it whenever I want it.

 

“Araso araso, you win” Unni finally accepted her defeat and I kinda got surprised since they bicker way longer than this. She then looked at appa and her expression changed in a serious yet worried look. “So oppa, how’s work? You came home late last night”

 

“Tiring” He sighed. “Needs to sign papers, deals with investors and…and her” Then the last word made us frown. Seriously, every time the topic is about ‘her’, my mood darkens.

 

“You can get out of the relationship if you want to” With full of concern, unni said the option we hope for to happen and I nodded in agreement. “Yes appa. She’s not the one for you”

 

“Liyin, Sofi-ah….we already talked about this” He glanced at the both of us and we turned silent. “I’m fine with how we are now” Is he for real? I can’t believe him! I know that somehow he is forced to be with her because of my grandfather’s request. Yes, it’s his father’s fault because he wants her to be part of our family since her dad is one of our business partners but even so, my appa can decline, right? He’s just hurting himself and us too. Instead of him, looking for his true love and experiencing romance, he’s here, stuck with that old witch. She only needs her broom, a big pot and her potions!

 

“But she doesn’t like me” I mumbled to myself. If only he can see how that woman is treating me, he will leave her even if she kneel and beg for him! But no, he’s blinded from the truth. Aigoo. It won’t be a surprise if my hair turned white already because of them.

 

“What was that baby girl?” He asked while I’m pouting there all by myself. I took a glimpse at Liyin unni and I know for sure, she’s feeling the same way as me. My day is completely ruined because of that woman!

 

“Nothing appa” I faked a smile and just started eating the rest of the food on my plate. I don’t want him to be mad at me. The three of us fell into silence next but not long enough when appa started talking.

 

“Liyin, aren’t you late for your class?”

 

“Oh crap! I’m late!” She looked at the clock, quickly stood up, got her bag and violin case and made a run to the door. “Bye oppa! Bye Sofi!”

 

“Bye unni” I looked down at my lap and played with my fingers. Just great, my partner left me. I need someone!

 

“What’s wrong?” Appa went beside me and kneeled on the floor while I shook my head but…oh I hate it when I get teary eyes! “Why are you crying?” He wiped my tears but came into halt when I uttered the avoided word.

 

“I want my omma”

 

“Sofi...” He started after heaving a deep sigh. “Didn’t I tell you not to say that again? And besides Hyo Joo will be your new mo-”

 

“NO!” I didn’t want him to continue. I’m already fed up with it. “You’re always saying that and I don’t want her to be my mother! I don’t! I don’t! I don’t!” I jumped out of my seat and ran upstairs while still crying then locked the door of my room.

 

For some brief seconds, I heard knocks and I covered my ears with my hands. Why can’t my appa understand me at all?

 

“Sofi, please open the door” He called out but I didn’t obey him. Why doesn’t he get it when I told him that I don’t want her?! “Sofi, c’mon. We’re going to the mall, right?”

 

“No! I want my omma!”

 

***

 

Sofi's reply

 

Hello~! Thank you for subscribing and for the comments. Am I really cute, lovkajaebling2 unni? Will you really help me or deep inside you want to be my new omma? The same question for you, soshiyuri unni.Hahaha! I’m glad my story interests you, Luna322471unni!

 

LOL (yuichi here) I'm just playing around gals...but would you mind if I let Sofi handle the replies from now on? Haha! Thanks a lot!