Chapter 24

My Heart is Locked and Engraved with the Letters D&J

"Congratulations! You did it!" your family shouted. You finally graduated and was officially a nurse. Your hard years of studying finally paid off. Everything was set. You had interviewed at many hospitals and to your delight, got accepted at your number one choice. You were going to work in one of the most well-known hospitals in Seoul. That meant you were going to move into an apartment to reduce the commute time. Although your parents didn't want to see you go, they agreed that it was more convenient for you and would help you transition into adulthood step-by-step.


"Alright. That's the final box," you sighed as you brought in the last of your belongings from you car. It was early afternoon and you decided that there was plenty of time to unpack and make the apartment your own.

You loaded the kitchen cabinets with kitchenware that your mom gifted you as a housewarming gift. After that, you put all of your toiletries into the bathroom and worked on your living room. You decorated your living room space with throw pillows, blankets, and a fluffy rug that went under your coffee table. The walls were decorated with pictures of you and your family, your favorite photographs, and after that, you hung up linen drapery on your window panes. The television was set up and mini sound system as well. The final boxes were unboxed in your bedroom. You did you best placing all of your clothes, stationary, accessories, bags, paperwork, books, and miscellaneous items in their respective spots. When you glanced at your clock in the first time in hours, it was ten til seven. You decided against eating ramen and settled on going grocery shopping for your empty fridge. 

After throwing on a light sweater and taking one last look in the mirror, you headed to the market near your house. You had never experienced being on your own before. It was so bizarre. As much as you wanted to grow into an independent and capable woman, you missed the security of your home and loving family. It was really time to grow up. As you were deciding between regular spaghetti and a healthier alternative of spaghetti, you felt a puff of air leave your chest as someone ran into you.

"Oh, I'm so sorry miss," a young man with a hat pulled low apologized to you. 

As you thought it was normal for him to continue on to where he was going, his lips curled into a small smirk. He took a step toward you and you gulped. You couldn't see his eyes nor any of his facial features other than his lips.

"Did you forget me already? Lee _____"

Before you knew it, the wind in your chest escaped in a matter of minutes.


"OPPPAAAA!!!" 

"OHH I MISSED MY DONGSAENG!!!"

You and Jonghyun hugged it out in the aisle until some lady told you two to get a room. Smiling, arm in arm, you guys went to check-out and decided to reconcile elsewhere. 

"Oppa, you don't have to pay. I got it!" you said, nudging him.

"Just let me spoil you," Jonghyun winked. 

"That sounds quite nice," you smiled cheekily. 

You suggested going back to your apartment so Jonghyun decided to follow you in his car. The moment you guys arrived, he helped you with your groceries and honestly, he was being a real gentleman. Nothing has changed since he left university to join SHINee. 

"Here you go," you smiled as you handed Jonghyun a cup of tea.

"Thank you," he sang as he gave you a wide smile. He patted the seat next to him.

"I hate to bring anything up, but I heard about everything."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, things get a little loose in the industry. Plus, after I became an idol, I ran into your brothers often and naturally we became good friends. I happened to ask about you one day and they told me what happened recently. I'm so sorry," he said, looking into your eyes. 

You looked down at your hands. 

"Yeah. Well, there isn't much left for me to do at this point but remain 'dead'," you responded. 

"Hey, don't say that. You still have me," he said, nudging you playfully. 

"Yes, I still have my 'oppa'," you teased back.

"You knew that I liked you back in university didn't you," Jonghyun asked, a bit suddenly.

"Do I have to be honest?" you asked, looking at him from the corner of your eyes.

"You probably didn't like me didn't you," he asked, right after you had responded.

Before you could answer, he said, "Don't answer that. Let me remember the happy days of crushing on you". 

He scooted closer to you and wrapped one arm around your shoulder and pulled a blanket over your guy's knees. You two probably stayed in that position for quite a while because you started to feel drowsy from the quiet yet peaceful silence. 

"Aigoo, look at what a baby you are," Jonghyun chuckled as he squeezed your cheeks. 

"Yes, I'm a baby. Merong~" you said as you scrunched your nose. 

"Stop that, you're making my heart beat," Jonghyun half glared half smiled at you. He laid your head down softly on a pillow and gave the blanket to you.

"I should probably get going now. I have a full schedule ahead of me tomorrow," he said as he stood up. 

"Oh then let me send you out," you said as you were about to get up.

"No no, I know where the exit is. It's been a long day for you, you should take a nap if you still want to do anything productive. If not, go get a good night sleep," he said, putting on his jacket.

"I'll probably do the latter," you said as you sat up completely.

"Well, then allow me to tuck this baby in," he smiled mischieviously. You cocked your head to one side. 

Jonghyun carried you bridal-style and found the direction of your bedroom without much trouble. He tucked you into bed and turned to leave. Before he could walk two steps, you grabbed a bit of his suit jacket. 

"Yes?" he asked, turning around.

"Gomawo, oppa. Thank you for making my first day as a grown woman an easier transition," you thanked him.

He kneeled down beside your bed and tucked a strand of hair behind your ear. 

"Anything for you," he smiled. He planted a kiss on your forehead before patting your head and exiting your room. For some reason, Jonghyun made you feel at ease. Although he was an idol, he still seemed like that sunbae you knew around two years ago, a big brother that was around for you when your brothers were busy with their careers. You both knew that what you guys had was one-sided yet you couldn't help but feel bad for unreciprocating his feelings. You knew what a great guy he was but in your heart, it was only Doojoon and Doojoon only. 


"Why can't anyone tell me where her resting place is? Why can't I see for my own eyes that she isn't here anymore. What is everyone hiding from me?" I asked, looking around at all of the staff members. No one looked me directly in the eyes and I knew for sure and then that something was off. How could they lie to me that she was in fact dead when it seemed like everyone wanted  me to forget about my one and only love. 

Silence. Only the sound of the air conditioning could be heard. Frustrated, I knew I wasn't going to get what I wanted, at least not anyone at this company. 

"If I need to, I'll do what it takes to find her. No one is going to stop me," I said before I turned and left. 

No one knew how I felt. Lee _____ was on my mind day and night and everything kept replaying over and over in my head every single day. I felt that I was going to go insane at any moment. Knowing that she is alive when everyone is forcing me to forget about her is exhausting, let alone extremely irritating. Before I could make it into the elevator to take me to the parking garage, I got a call from an unknown number but from a familiar voice once I recieved the call.

I stopped in my tracks to listen carefully.

"Before you ask any questions, I just want to let you know that I'm going to tell you everything I know, not for my benefit, but for someone I love dearly."

"Where do I meet you?"