Chapter 23

My Heart is Locked and Engraved with the Letters D&J

I opened my eyes to worried faces and hushed voices.

"He's awake!" a familiar voice gushed with excitement and worry.

____, where was she? I shot up and immediately, my head throbbed and the pit of my stomach ached. I groaned before falling back down.

"Hyung," a couple of voices embraced me. I was in a hospital room surrounded by my bandmates.

"Where is she?" I asked. I knew they would know, especially Junhyung. 

"Hyung, don't think too much. Please rest."

"I asked where she is."

"The nurse will come check in on you soon. Good thing you didn't-

"I ASKED WHERE SHE IS!" I shouted, sitting up with all my force, the IVs ripping out of my veins. I knew I was heating up and that it would be visible by now. 

"She's gone."

My heart dropped. I hope that it did not mean what it seemed to mean.

"Say that again."

"I'm sorry hyung." 

I cupped my face in my palms before running them through my hair. The guilt I felt was insurmountable. I stood up slowly and my groupmates backed up a bit. I looked at Junhyung and he kept his eyes on the ground. I grabbed him by the collar and dragged him out of the room with me. No one dared to stop me and he did not struggle against my hold. 


"My poor baby."

"I wonder what her relationship with Doojoon is."

"Remember that he's Mrs. Yoon's son?"

"Now I remember."

Your brows furrowed. Your palms perspired. You heard murmurs around you, voices were almost undistinguishable. 

"Umma? Appa?" you called out. 

"Our baby, you're awake!" your mom cried, before holding your hand even tighter. 

"How are you feeling honey?" your father asked, before feeling your forehead.

"Where is Doojoon oppa?" you asked, not caring about whether or not you were okay.

"He's doing just fine. He woke up a while ago," your dad answered.

"Can I see him?" you asked.

"Absolutely not," they both answered sternly, though your mom looked a bit concerned.

"Why not?" you asked, shocked.

"We will explain when you are well," you dad said. And with his tone of voice, you knew not to question them any further. 

The nurse came in to ask your dad to sign some paperwork. It was you and your mom now. 

"They came after me mom. The men who I saved that lady from a long while ago," you said as you stared into the distant.

"I know sweetheart. If we knew sooner then we would have done something about it." Your mom sounded as if she was about to cry. She excused herself before quickly exiting the room. You sighed and stared at the ceiling. Your heart still ached from Junhyung's words but now, Doojoon was occupying your mind. It seemed as if the feelings you had for him never really faded. You sighed again, turning on your side, flinching at the contact your wounds and bruises made with the mattress. 

"Knock knock," your brothers chimed as they flashed you a sweet but concerned smile.

You sat up and hugged them back. They brought you your favorite dishes and things they knew you would like. 

"Do you guys know why I can't meet Doojoon?"

"Do you still like him?"

"I didn't say anything about liking him,"

"So you still like him," 

"I'm just worried about him,"

"Sure," your brothers chimed in again. 

"But seriously, why not?" 

"Reasons."

"Don't make me go ask around right this moment," you threatened, knowing your brothers would spill the reason why you couldn't see him.

"Sit down first," sighed Junho. You sat down, suspicious of what they were going to say.

"Well, how do we start this?" Joon asked Junho.

"He believes you're dead," Junho said, with a straight face.

"He thinks I'm WHAT?!" you shouted.

"Gee, way to break the news to her,"

"We were just getting started,"

"But why?" you asked, needing more information. 

Your brothers looked at each other, worriedly, before deciding how to break the rest of the news to you. By the time they were done, you felt as if your soul left your body. You felt sick to your stomach, aching in your bones, and your heart crushing. It was confirmed. You still had feelings for Doojoon. Immense feelings for him. 


You had one month left before completing your studies as a nursing student and you were finishing your studies at home. Ever since that incident, you didn't leave your house. You stayed in your house every day, leaving your house to get some sunshine maybe once a month. You didn't dare to step out of the house for various reasons. It was for your own good, for Doojoon's good. You honestly did not know how long you could continue living like a prisoner. Doojoon believed you were dead. You wanted to shout and cry out to him, letting him know you were still alive. You stared out your window, your thin and frail silhouette leaning against your windowsill. It wasn't soon before you straightened up and hid, your eyes peeking out of the window every now and then.

Doojoon was parked outside your house. He sat in there for a while before getting out. He stood and stared at your house, looking solemn and unsmiling. 

When you managed to catch glimpses of his face, your heart raced and pounded. How much you wanted to run into his arms and let him know you still existed. You were tempted to pound on your window and ask him to bail you out of this two story prison.

"Oppa..." you cried softly, before sliding down and hitting the cold surface of the floor. 


She had to be alive. There was no reason for her not to be alive. If she was dead then I would have known. If she was dead I would surely feel it in my soul. My dearest ____ could not be dead. I didn't buy it. There was something no one was willing to tell me. 

"____, wait for me. I'll come for you soon," I said, looking up to her room, imagining her inside and looking out at me. With that, I turned and left.