Lights

Why Does It Have To Be You?

Key’s POV:

Lights. Sirens. A voice, frantic in my ear. A fuzzy outline of a face, bent over me. Movement. Pain, pain everywhere. Shouting. Red. Angry, hot red. I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe! Lifted. Blackness. Silence…

---------

I opened my eyes. The brightness of the room was almost too much to bear. I closed them again.

“He’s awake,” some voice said.

My eyes were forced open by a rough hand, a blinding light shone down on me. I tried to close them, but the hand prevented me. The light moved away.

“Give him some more morphine,” another voice said.

Everything went black once more.

---------

Everything hurt.

I sighed. I opened my eyes slowly, glancing around the room. It was dimly lit, and very unfamiliar. I snapped my eyes shut again when the sudden movement of my neck hurt. I shifted to try to find a more comfortable position. I couldn’t move very far though, there were strange thin tubes holding me in place. There was one in my nose, pushing cold air down my throat, making it dry and burn. I groaned in annoyance.

“Kibum? Key, are you awake?” a voice called softly, the edge of my bed shifting slightly as they moved to grab my hand.

“J-Jonghyun?” I croaked. My throat was dry and it was painful to speak.

“Oh thank God, I thought you would never wake up! I was so worried! How are you feeling?” he asked, squeezing my hand lightly.

“It hurts. What happened?” I winced as my voiced cracked again.

“We were fighting. I told you to stop, and you stopped in the middle of the road. Hyomin hit you, and you almost died,” he started to cry. “You’ve been unconscious for three days. I thought you were gone. I thought you had left me.” He took my hand in both of his and brought it to his forehead. “This is all my fault Kibum. I’m sorry Key! I’m so sorry!” He barely finished getting the words out, and he broke down, his head falling down to hit the bed right by my side. His shoulders wracked with sobs.

“Shh, Jonghyun, it’s not your fault. It’s not.” I could feel the tears welling up in my own eyes. I squeezed his hand. “Jonghyun, please stop crying. Please? It’s not your fault. Don’t cry!”

“I’m sorry, I was just so worried,” he said, wiping his eyes, which did no good, as he was still crying just as hard. “I wish I could take all of your pain away.”

“I kind of wish that too,” I said with a weak smile. He let out a small laugh, making me laugh lightly as well. I groaned when the motion sent a wave of sharp pain coursing through my body.

“Key? Are you ok?” Jonghyun asked bolting up.

“I’m fine, just a little sore,” I said.

“I’ll go get a nurse,” Jonghyun said, getting up.

“No! No, please stay! I don’t want you to leave just yet,” I said, tugging lightly at the hand that was still entangled in mine.

He smiled. “I don’t want to leave you either, but I think there may be someone else who wants to see you.” He gently untangled his hand from mine, wiped the remaining tears from his eyes, and walked to the door.  I pouted.

He opened the door and poked his head out. He said something to someone in the hall that I couldn’t hear. Then he pulled his head back in and smiled at me. Seconds later, a little reddish-brown head of fluff came running in the room, followed by a tall teen and shy looking leader.

“Key umma!” Taemin shouted as he threw himself on the chair beside my bed.

“Hey guys,” I responded, smiling at them all in turn.

“How is our Key doing?” Minho asked as he and Onew sat on the edge of my bed.

“Holding in there,” I said, smiling again.

“We were so worried about you,” Onew said, patting my arm carefully.

“Yeah, we were all worried about you umma.” Taemin grabbed my hand. “That bish is going down! No one hurts umma while I’m around!” Taemin said, shaking his fist and scowling adorably.

“No, no you aren’t. And who taught my baby to swear! No swearing!” I scolded him.

“Yep, he’s fine,” Minho said laughing.

I glanced up at Jonghyun, who was still standing by the door, smiling at me. I smiled back at him.

Onew saw our exchange and chuckled. “Ok guys, let’s let Kibum get some rest,” he said, standing up.

“But, but, we just got here!“ Taemin started to protest.

“Taemin. Now.” Onew said somewhat sternly, and Taemin stood up, pouting and looking defeated. Minho smiled down at the boy and s his hand into the smaller boy’s. Taemin smiled shyly up at Minho, and let him lead him out of the room. Onew gave me one last pat on the arm before following them out the door.

The door shut silently after they left, and I looked at Jonghyun. He came back to the chair and took my hand in his again.

“Did I miss something?” I asked, wondering about Taemin and Minho. They’ve always been close and unafraid of skinship, but I had never seen them hold hands. And Taemin never looked shy like that before around Minho.

“They’ve like each other for a while, but when you were hospitalized, they got a lot closer. I think they both helped each other to cope. Onew resorted to spending hours and hours at the practice studio.” He said.

“What about you? You were ok, right?” I asked.

“I haven’t left your side since they allowed you to have visitors. Although I did make a quick trip up the roof last night,” he said, laying his face down on the pillow, resting his nose against my cheek.

“Key?” he asked, sending his warm breath down my neck, making me shiver slightly. I allowed my eyes to flutter close.

“Neh?’ I asked.

“I love you,” he whispered, lips gently brushing my cheek.

“I love you too,” I whispered back, eyes still closed.

“You should really get some rest now yeobo,” Jonghyun said in a low voice, raising his head slightly. My eyes shot open.

“But I just woke up,” I whined, and then I yawned. He chuckled.

“You need to rest,” he said, my hair.

“Will… will you stay here with me?” I asked nervously. I really didn’t want him to leave. Not now, not ever. Now I knew he returned my feelings, and we finally stopped fighting. I never, ever want  him to leave my side again, and I never want to leave his.

“I’m not going anywhere,” he said. He kissed my temple softly. “Now go to sleep.”

I nodded. It didn’t take long at all before the drowsiness was pulling me into its abyss. I fought it for a minute, not quite wanting to go to sleep so soon, but soon it gave me no choice but to give in, and I dozed off into unconsciousness once more.

 





 

 

AN: WHY AM I SUCH A DEPRESSING WRITER??? IDEK. Like right before I began uploading this, I was working on TSOMEDA, (I write chapters out of order sometimes for that one, so in my google docs there's a bunch of random crap) and GUESS WHAT. IT WAS FULL OF OVERDRAMATIC SAD POOP. WHUT.

SOOOOO, mianhae. I'm seriously such a happy person, and I don't know where this stuff comes from... Yeah I'm sorry guys, and thank you for putting up with me. <3

No spam this week. Again. T.T my computer is being a and keeps crashing, so I don't want to take any chances by opening like 20 windows at once.

Hope you enjoyed the update? It was a little longer than the norm.... Thanks for reading and upvoting and commenting and subscribing! SARANGHAE!! and because I'm shameless (not really) I'm going to ask that if you guys like this story and haven't already upvoted, please do~ And I love comments, they make my day~ I'm going to try to respond to all of them, but sometimes I honestly don't know what to say...

THANK YOU~~