Hiems

Amare

 

Wednesday, 20 November 1992

 

There’s the reason why the past isn’t coming back.

          “Be a good boy and play nice with your friend. I’ll be here at lunch time” Kris kissed Kevin crown. He waved to Kevin who waved back sleepily before left the baby daycare.

          Kris waited a while for the elevator. It was still morning just few employee around. He thanked Mrs. Smith for her kindness to open the daycare early.

          He smiled to the office boy who still cleaned their department room.

          “You come really early this day, Mr. Wu. Have you decided to join our department?”

          “No, I just feel it is kind lonely to always come before the others so I want to company you, Mr. Pages” Kris said calmly with serious face.

          “I am grateful to hear that. That’s really generous of you toward me” Kris didn’t say anything back and moved to his desk.

          “Do you know Mr. Wu as long as I remember someone that comes early than the others is head department, but I must say you beat his record this day” After Mr. Pages said that, they saw their head department walked in to their department. They greeted him and he gave them small nod.

          “I bet if he heard what I said, his pride wouldn’t let me easily” Kris shook his head and smiled. The head department was someone he respected after their first meet, it wasn’t easy for him to think this way of others.

          Kris grabbed the blue print of his project and checked detail of the building carefully. He needed to make sure before the building start construct he didn’t make any mistake. From meeting with the civil engineers, they seemed had concluded the design was safe. Kris would give the report to head division. His co-worker was coming one by one. Kris was about to give the document he was holding to the said head division, but the head division beat him first.

          “Kris, Can you come to my office now?” He asked.

          “Yes, Sir” Kris followed head division. He took seat before his desk.

          “Is that the report from yesterday meeting with the engineers?”

          Kris gave the report to the head division. He waited till his head division finished read. He seemed satisfied with the report. He put aside the report and Kris studied him carefully. Kris took deep breathe.

          “Sir, about my leave” His head division sighed hear his question.

          “Kris, I can’t give you permission. You know the project is really important.            Mr. Smith won’t be pleased if he finds you aren’t here. We really can’t take the risk although this day you have worked faster than we expect and the progress is going well, the others have their own work. I’m really sorry Kris, but you have left work when your son needed hospital medication also bed rest you took. You’re just back for a while, I don’t want the other employees feel you have privilege than them. I wish I could help you”

          Kris nodded his head and excused himself.  He stepped out of his head division’s office room and walked tiredly to his desk. His friends looked at him worriedly. This day entire week, Kris really pressured himself to work. He came early and went home pretty late. Usually, they would have Kevin there, but they noticed that a man with little boy would pick Kevin up. They didn’t question this sudden change, but Kris tired expression made them more worry than before.

          “Kris, are you okay? What head division talk to you?”

          Kris shook his head.

          “I’m okay. Nothing serious” He smiled tightly. His co-worker patted his shoulder. They shrugged to each other when they heard Kris words.

          Kris was busying himself with his work, he sighed several times before he stood from his seat. His co-worker looked up from their works, they gave sign with their eyes.

          “Okay… okay. I have finished my work, I will talk to Kris”

          “We rely on you Nate” Pierre said.

          “My ….” Nate said and raised his . His co-worker laughed to his silly joke.

          Nate searched for Kris. He looked around the floor, thanked one of the office boy saw Kris walked to the kitchen. Nate found Kris stood lean on the wall. His cup of coffee seemed forgotten.

          “Kris” Nate called him. Kris was deep in thought and didn’t hear him. Nate took his breathe and patted his shoulder. Kris looked surprise, but his expression changed fast.

          “Do you need coffee too Nate?” Kris asked after Nate walked to the coffee maker.

          “Yeah” Nate actually didn’t like coffee, but it won’t hurt him to approach Kris like this. It would bring ease to both of them. He wasn’t mother hen Pierre.

          “Do you need to ask me something Nate? Don’t know that you like coffee” Kris seemed amused.

          “Oh…. So you get it and I guess don’t need to pretend I’ll drink it. I’ll safe it for Pierre or James than maybe both” He said with smile.

          Nate took place beside Kris.

          “Kris, I really don’t have intention to interfere with your life, but if you need friend to talk you can count on me. I will help you if I can and the entire members of our department I bet they won’t mind to help you either” Nate said optimist, Kris frowned slightly before he laughed.

          “Hahaha… Guys, I’m okay. Don’t need to worry. I’m not damsel in the distress. It’s nothing I can fix, thanks for your attention it really meant for me, but once again I tell you I’m okay” Nate smiled slightly.

          “Well, if you said so I have no other words to say. Just remember you can rely on us”

          “Sure. I’ll remember that. Ehm… it seems we need to go back. Bring Pierre and James the coffee you make”

          “As if…” Nate answered shortly.

Kris touched Sehun’s wedding band on his necklace he wore. He just realized weeks ago that his and her wedding band were crafted with quotation.

Don’t be sad, God always beside you

          “Can I choose the wedding band?” Sehun asked. Kris nodded he was really didn’t care after all.

            “Just make sure you choose the simple and elegant one” Kris walked outside the jewelry store.

          “Kris” Kris snapped from his thought when Nate shouted his name. He immediately followed him.

          When they back to their department, their co-worker informed Kris that head department wanted to meet him. Kris thanked them and went to their head department room. He knocked twice and opened the door after the said head department told him to come in.

          “Sir, did you search for me?” Kris asked.

          “Please, take a seat” Kris nodded and sat before his desk. His head department closed the document he was working in and offered him drink that Kris declined politely. Kris figured it was weird, why his head department wanted to meet him, his project was on finalization, he had arrange the document for local government, had discussed the material with the civil engineers. He thought for a while, he didn’t find anything, he was really sure he didn’t make any mistakes in all his work, so he put aside the possibility.

          “I’m really sorry for this sudden call. Your head division told me you want to take a break for two days. Is that true?” His Head Department asked calmly.

          “Yes, Sir”

          “He told me you didn’t give the exact reason why you need the break and he told me with your project you are working in now, we can’t give you that”

          “I know, Sir” Kris looked down. His head of department took deep breathe.

          “Is this really important to you?”

          “Yes, Sir” Kris looked up and saw his head department made a note.

          “Give it to your head division after I talk to him, you will get the permission. I will take the responsibility for your absence”

          Kris looked surprised. He didn’t know really well about his head department, they never talked personally before.

          “But Sir…”

          “You want that or not?”

          “Thank you very much” Kris excused himself.

          “Kris” Kris turned back.

          “Act like nothing happen and don’t forget to finish your work, bring the documents here and also arrange everything I need to do when you take your leave” He smirked. Kris smiled and bowed to him.

          After Kris left his room, he called someone.        

          “Hello, Uncle. I do what you asked me for. Just remember don’t give me much trouble when Kris isn’t around. He is the architect who comes with the design”

          “Sure. You won’t make a fuss because it’s Kris. And once more I want my exclusive trip to the location at Sunday is going well. I give Kris break till Monday; he isn’t needed to arrive at San Francisco on Sunday. It is pain in the ” He rolled his eyes.

          “Yes, it must be rough for him. He gains my respect as co-worker and as man” He said sincerely to his uncle.

          ----

Four days ago

“Kris Wu. Weeks ago I met my business partner coincidently; he was here for family reason. His son and grandson lives at San Francisco. He is CEO of Wu Construction and Design. I was not really sure, but first time I saw your presentation and when we talked after I realized you looked like his younger version also the same aura that I felt around him. Do you relate to him somehow?” Kris looked at him little surprised written on his face.

Mr. Smith waited for Kris answer. Kris looked around slightly. He took deep breathe and nodded his head.

“Like I predicted first time we met. I won’t tell anyone else if you don’t want it too. Oh… I guess your coworker come here” Mr. Smith informed him.

Kris turned around and saw his head of department and his coworker walked to his direction.

“I’m glad you can make it all here” Mr. Smith told them.

“Mr. Smith thanks for the invitation. We are really honored” His head of department said politely.

“Oh… that’s nothing. We will work together in the future and I like to know whom I work with beside this party need more attendants. I hope you all will enjoy the party”

They nodded politely. Mr. Smith’s personal assistant whispered something to him. They noted that he would leave soon.

“Mr. Jefferson, I would like to talk to you. Have you time for a while?” Their head department nodded his head and followed him.

“What do you talk with Mr. Smith?” James asked curiously.

“Nothing” Kris smiled and shipped his wine calmly.

“I’ll make you tell me” James said stubbornly.

----

          They were in one of the room at the hotel.

          “I guess it’s not good thing to do to leave your guests, uncle” Mr. Smith ignored him.

          “Remember when I told you that maybe the Kris boy isn’t ordinary employee”

          “Our employee is the best in their field. Why you need to make it sound really big deal?”

          “Do you know his background?”

          “I’m the one who interviewed him. I don’t really care about his curriculum vitae; I just need the employee who can really work after all. I must say that his background is really impressive. Well actually that time I thought it was weird why our director gave us order to recruit new architect, it’s not big problem though”

          Mr. Smith held out a document in front of him.

“I have read his back ground before if you need to know. I don’t need to read it twice. What’s all about actually?”

          “Just read the document. You’ll know what I want to say to you”

          George read the information in the document he held and he looked up to his uncle.

          “Kris is the only son of the CEO. Hailong is my long business partner, I want you lend your hand to help Kris whatever it cost. With his ability and his background, many will dislike him. Even though not many know about it his aura has something that makes people attracted to him or gets himself enemies without he realizes. Furthermore with his current condition”

          “You don’t need to tell me that. From the first time I met him, I have watching him. He has potency and ability to rise to higher position. I will be the one to make sure that he gets what he needs. He raises his son alone that’s gain my respect to him beside of his ability”

----

          Kris knocked the door of his head division. His head division frowned slightly.

          “Did you need something else Kris?” His head division asked.

          “Sir, Mr. Jefferson sends you a note” Kris said.

          His head division read the note.

          “Okay then. Thank you Kris”

          Kris back to his desk to finish his work and arrange anything needed when he wasn’t there. He would bring them to the head department.

“Hei, Kris. What is it today why head division and head department summoned you?” Pierre asked when they had their break. Kris seemed didn’t hear Nate.

          “Hello, Good Afternoon Secretary Cornell. It’s Kris”

“No, don’t need to. I want to know does mother mention about her schedule this week?” Kris searched for pen and paper, he wrote down what his mother secretary said.

“Is father at Vancouver?”

“He is in flight to Macau? Oh….that’s why I can’t reach father or Mr. Gaarder. Thank you then. Have nice day Secretary Cornell” Kris ended the phone and made another phone call.

Pierre, Nate and James all were eyeing Kris. Kris seemed realize and looked at them. His eyebrows furrowed.

“What?” He asked.

“Nothing” James answered cheerfully. Kris shrugged and left them dumbfounded.

“Who is Kris actually?”

“Believe me he is different with you all” They turned their head to meet with amused smile of their head division.

“What do you mean Sir?”

“Nothing, and guys because of Kris absence prepare yourself to meet Head Department often than usual. He will love to assist us” He smirked. They gulped, their Head Department was devil by nature, the perfectionist in every aspects. He brought their department as the big enemy for another architecture firms at State.

“Kris is mysterious” James stated out of blue. Nate and Pierre watched him weirdly.

“Whatever, Kris will tell us when he trusts us enough” Pierre said rather sadly.

“You three don’t want to have lunch?” Their head division asked them after he back his document he needed from his room.

They widened their eyes and ran outside.

---

          “Thank Mrs. Johnson. From here I’ll take Kevin” Kris grabbed Kevin’s bag. It was good that Kevin had finished his meal. Kris brought Kevin on his left arm carefully. He made phone.

“Hello, Sylvia. Can you pack some of Kevin’s clothes and another stuff he maybe needs? We will go to Seoul tomorrow morning”

“Don’t worry my friend in Seoul has arrange anything. We just go back for 3 days, Doctor has given permission for Kevin too as long as he gets enough rest and eat properly that’s no problem. And can you pick Kevin now? He needs rest more tomorrow will be long journey. Thank you, Sylvia” Kris ended the phone, Kevin eyed him curiously.

“Sylvia-jiji will pick you up. Let waits for her. Okay?” Kevin smiled widely.

“So what are you doing this morning?” Kris asked him.

Kevin seemed happy to hear his father’s question. He talked animatedly and his hands flailing everywhere.

---

          “Haven’t you finished your work Kris?” Pierre asked. Kris looked up to see his friends before his desk.

          “I need to finish the report progress for the other division. If I don’t finish it today, they will get trouble when I’m not here”

          “Do you need our help?” Nate asked.

          “No, I can do it myself. You guys can go home” Kris smiled and back to type his report.

          “If we can help, at least we will be here to company you, right guys?” Nate and Pierre nodded. Kris took deep breathe and shook his head.

          “I will finish my job on 30 minutes. Maybe you can help me arrange documents then and checked the contents. I messed them up earlier” Kris took box bellow his desk.

          “Okay” James said eagerly.

         15 minutes of arranging the documents in the box, Pierre found pictures slipped on one of the document. James and Nate saw Pierre’ hand stopped arranging, they raised an eyebrow. Pierre smiled and showed them the picture.

          “Guys, do you finish that already?” They widened their eyes and slipped the picture back.

          “I found the content one of the document really interesting” James said awkwardly.

          Kris raised his eyebrow, but shrugged afterward.

          “Anyway, Kris. If you don’t mind, why you need to take a break and go back to your hometown?”

          Kris looked up and watched James dumbfound.

          “Who says I will back to my hometown? I mean Seoul. You go back to Seoul, right?”

          “Sorry. We heard you when you talked with the beautiful girl who picked Kevin up. I’m just curious why you suddenly take a leave and how can you get the permission easily”

          James continued and smiled sheepishly.

          Nate smacked James’ head

“It’s not the problem, Kris has his own reason and I believe that’s good one. Don’t tell me you want to go somewhere and abandon your work James” Nate asked suspiciously. “You two shut up” Pierre snapped when Nate and James started banter.

“It’s okay, Kris If you don’t want to tell us” Pierre reassured him. Kris took deep breathe.

“Actually, I promise not to tell anyone that I get the permission to leave. It won’t be good after I had taken leave whole week not long time ago. I can bring sour mood and uncomfortable work environment because the others think I can do anything as I wish”

          “You get enough enemies because of your ability” James mumbled. Kris smiled hear that.

          “So, what is your reason now? The others day Kevin got pneumonia and we found you had bed rest because of fell from upstairs. That’s absolutely no reason to envy you at all” James asked full of curiosity.

          “James” Pierre hissed warningly. Nate smacked James’ head once again.

          “Look I just want to know why Kris go to his hometown in this time” James defended himself and covered his head, not wanted another smack from Nate.

          “It’s nothing Pierre. Look, I’m Chinese-Canadian, I was born at Guangzhou, but my hometown I guess Vancouver. So Seoul isn’t my hometown. I lived several years in Seoul just for my family’s ……” (business) Kris couldn’t continue words he supposed to say. He felt slight pang.

          Business….

Deserved what? Deserve a jerk like you? You said it’s all about business so you have the right to treat her like trash? She raised in good family, well manner, best education and you treat her like a . If it’s all about business she will leave you long time ago.

          “Kris, Are you okay?” Pierre asked.

          Kris looked down and saw his hands tremble. He immediately hid his hands under his table.

          “Kris” Pierre asked once again, worry was obviously written on his voice and face.

          “I’m okay. Sorry guys I can’t tell you the reason. I just need to go back to Seoul” Kris’ voice shook slightly, he still looked down. Silence enveloped them. The three eyed each other. Kris was always confident, composure and calm, but he looked so vulnerable before their eyes.

After a while Kris realized he made them worry, he gave them smile to reassure that he was fine.

          “When is your flight” Nate lightened the mood.

          “Morning 6.15 a.m”

          “We are going to pick you up. I want free coffee in the morning” Nate said casually.

          “Okay, guys. Thanks then” Kris shook his head in amusement.

          “James you better have your alarm on or I will drag you from your bed and don’t blame me if you won’t have bath because we will go to office afterward” Nate glared at James who grunt.

---

          Kris packed his clothes in small luggage. He didn’t need many; he just spent 2 days at Seoul after all. It was raining outside, it’s just slightly cool.  He remembered total different situation last year. That time winter came early in Korea, he always loved winter, but in the same winter he lost someone and got someone to protect. Kris didn’t anymore if he still loved the coldest of winter or to hate it. He left his room and went to Kevin’s. He took seat beside the rib. Kevin was sleeping peacefully. He touched Kevin’s face gently.

          “Sehun, do you know I have always loved winter, I loved cold. I chose winter than other seasons, from some reason winter is me. You were born at winter like our son, right?. Eomma said you were born at winter several days before the spring, transition from the cold, dry winter to the summer rainy season” Kris smiled affectionately. He watched Kevin, his chest up and down, slow and calm breathe. The reason he was still live and must live.

He took deep breathe and closed his eyes. He clasped his hands and prayed.

          “God I ever said I will give all the love Sehun should have had to him. I’ll learn how to love, I’ll learn how to protect. I’ll be his guardian like his mother be for him. I never fulfilled my duty as her husband and guardian. That’s why I’m begging you God, please be the Guardian for her you are the one who capable to do that. God, please forgive me I lied, I told Chanyeol I’ll try to forgive myself, but I can’t allow myself to forgive what I did to her, I want to hold on that past as a reminder there was someone who love me for who I was in my bad, who didn’t care how bad I treated her, who wouldn’t turn her back on me even the world did, who would hold my hand when I was broke even though I never hold her”

                  “ I won't be sad because God always beside me” He whispered.

----

Pierre and Nate were bringing Kris’ luggage and Kevin’s bag when they heard the bell ring.

“I’ll open the door” James flied down stair.

Kris was still fighting with himself. Was it necessary to wake Kevin up for bath or not, when someone made him jolt.

He glared to the culprit.

“What are you doing? Why do you watch Kevin like that? You need to arrive at airport at 5 am for God shake” James said. James was not alone he was with Sylvia.

“Do I need to give Kevin a bath or not?” Kris seemed confuse.

Sylvia walked closer to where Kris stood before Kevin’s rib.

“Please, bring me the baby wipe and set new clothes for Kevin” Sylvia ordered. Kris gave clothes that he prepared for Kevin and the baby wipe to her.

          “Think like when you’re sick and need bath at bed” Sylvia said and that made click to Kris and James. Kevin was just squirm slightly before sleeping peacefully again.

          “Perfect” Sylvia satisfied with her work.

          They made their way to down stair. James was waiting for them in front of the elevator.

 “You get all you need young master?” Sylvia asked.

“Yes, I get it all Sylvia and please don’t call me young master. Just call me Kris, it’s hard enough to tell your father to call me Kris rather than young master” Kris sighed.

“It can’t be helped, father is the butler of Wu’s household and I’m his daughter. Choose young master, I call you by name in front of your friend or I will call you young master every time. Sorry for my rudeness” Sylvia said calmly, smiled little to Kris. Kris shook his head, he had defeated many times for this matter but it never settled down so he would let Sylvia called him young master as her wish.

After Kris locked the door, they walked to the elevator.

          “You two seem have fun conversation” James teased. Sylvia glared to him, but Kris didn’t mind at all. He caressed Kevin’s cheek with his thumb. Sylvia and James smiled to each other witnessing the scene.

          Kris was with Pierre and Nate in Nate’s car. They forced James to drive Sylvia’s car instead because Nate’s idea to play cupid.

          “Remind me that I’m crazy enough to allow James with Sylvia”

          “Don’t worry Sylvia will be okay” Pierre said reassuringly.

          “I wish James wouldn’t lose any part of his body, instead” Kris’ snorted.

They tried not to laugh when James immediately ran to their side and fidgeted slightly when Sylvia was close to them.

“Like I said” Kris smirked.

Kris waved to them. He took deep breathe and went to the lounge.

          “Don’t be sad. Mother, Father and especially God always beside you” He said softly and kissed Kevin’s crown.