Bellis perenis 1

Amare

             “I envy you” James said, heading to his desk. Kris looked up from the sketch he was currently drawing, they could or he could spend his time with whatever he want to do. He had secure other project for their company, he didn’t think his job to go long path winning the deal. However, he was being sent to present their company and their idea, he knew deep down it had nothing to do with his profession as architect, it more inclined to his “manipulation skill” as Pierre referred it to. He could charming his way through people life, Kris was aware of power he possessed. His upbringing gave him more privilege than eyes would allow, the best education, the best environment and the first class standard of wealth came on the top of list. Aside of that he wouldn’t forget where he got the confident demeanour, authority air, strong will and long list of traits most likely tied to the reassurance of being the only heir of the Wu.

           Kris closed the sketch book, put it inside his briefcase before slide from his chair and made beeline to James desk. The other man sensed his presence, tilted his head slightly. Trying to read behind the blank mask attached on Kris’s face. Kris could be intimidating, he didn’t like it when he was the object of the intimidation. He would have made amend of his words……

           “You have no reason to envy me” Kris said in low tone, his tone gave  nothing away. He left right away, didn’t give any notice where and when. It was almost the lunch time, they all knew he would go to the day-care. James looked around to his colleagues, they glared daggers to him. He knew he shouldn’t utter such stupid words left his mouth. He was dullard…. He would admit it.

          “I am sorry, okay?” James said guiltily. They shook their heads, they knew he didn’t mean it in bad way. He sighed and stood, he looked to Pierre. The young man didn’t need to be told what James want him to do. He stood and gave sign with his shoulder waiting for the other led the move. Nate looked to his own work, it could wait for the time being and closed the document he was currently reading and followed the two. Their colleagues smiled knowingly to each other, there was no fantastic four without Kris, the three needed to get him fast.

         They were being greeted by the rambunctious kids running around the day care. Kids…. They shuddered inside, they would put battle when tried their best to avoid collision with the devils to reach Kris who sat on the other side of the day care. They were uncouth and terrible, Kevin was not like them. He was sweet….. They looked to each other eyes, seemed they knew the others thoughts. James shushed Mrs. Johnson, the older woman smiled caught their intention. The three stood there watching the hearth warming between father and son.

        “He is not obligation” Pierre said above a whisper. James and Nate turned their heads to Pierre for a moment, small soft smile graced Pierre’s lips, his eyes focused on the two figures. They nodded their head in agreement, Kris smiled never wavered when Kevin was with him.

          “I wonder what Mrs. Wu looked like” The three men averted their attention to the older woman. They didn’t blame the older woman to have a thought like that one. Pierre ever saw her picture by accident, the picture slipped on one of Pierre’s document which Kris helped to check. It was by accident Pierre did second recheck when the picture fell on his desk. His eyes took a time studying the young Asian woman on the picture, her free smile and twinkling eyes shone bright. He admitted he wanted to meet this woman, would love to engage in conversation with her. As Sylvia ever said she never knew Sehuna personally, general requirements as Mistress Wu itself had already shouted the best woman out of the best candidates. Soft spoken, intelligent, polite, and shy were Sylvia could point after met her for once and the last time she ever met her. He remembered Kris raised an eyebrow when he gave the document back and told him casually to open certain page. Kris did as he asked, his eyes shown the intense emotions swirling there and made Pierre looked away, he said he would retrieve the document back later. Kris thanked him gratefully, partly because he gave the picture back, partly because he didn’t show it to the others, partly because….. He only nodded his head, walked to his desk and resumed his work. He finally could picture a family for Kevin, his nephew.  

        “She was great woman, she fought till the end to ensure Kevin’s life” James said in whisper, he didn’t care they heard it or not. Pierre smiled knowingly, the woman in the picture had sincerest smile he ever saw and from what Sylvia told him, he wouldn't help, but agreed with James exclamation. James looked to his wristwatch, he looked once more to Kevin and Kris who drown on their own little world. Excused himself and promised to meet them later.

 

KRIS

            Kris shipped his cup of coffee while walking inside the apartment building. He went home early, took advantage of his head department permission for employee to leave after they had finished their work. The said man let him, he has gotten the “perfect report” according to Pierre, Kris was slightly annoyed, he shrugged the comment off and packed his belongings before stepped out of the office. It was good to go home, he missed his son so badly. Kevin had small picnic with Litch and Kain. They brought along the Wu’s household maid, his father forced him to let the middle age woman to help him handling house chores and Kevin occasionally. Kris had no reasons to against his father, the woman had worked for them more than 15 years, had his father trusted her, it would not have required long time to surmise how the woman was really good at her work and he could trust her with Kevin. His father rarely praised or acknowledge people works, if he had not felt it was worthy to praise at the first place. He was a bit wary and felt anxiety get the better of him at first week of left Kevin with her, he had him close to him most all of the time. His job in his demanding stage and he was aware, he barely had time to take lunch. Moreover, checked on him at day care. Kevin seemed to like her as well, he had been allowed to do anything as he wished and the older women knew when to put an end to Kevin’s whine and wimps. He was being pampered by anyone. He had to be the one who disciplined him, no one want to take the role. He didn’t mind it though, he loved his role either be the good father or the stern man.

            He greeted the security and used the elevator assigned for the penthouse. He had the entire floor for himself, he particularly like the building because it provided main door and not direct elevator connected to the penthouse as the entrance. It may seemed useless because of course the guests needed his permissions to go up to his floor, but it would be less harmless, were someone could get access even without his permission. Thus, made several step to walk to the main door from elevator crossed of it worthy. He shook his head and stepped outside of the elevator when it was already arrived at his floor. He have gotten message from Kain, given him notice that they had went home after Kevin was tucked on his bed. He smiled to himself and replied his message, thanked him sincerely.

          Kris had been greeted by the older woman. He put his shoes on the shoes rack and used the slipper, hang his coat on the coat hanger next. He politely declined when the older asked him did he want something to eat, he didn’t oppose when the maid got him green tea though. He took quick bath and changed to the fresh and casual clothes. Normally, he would go straight to the main door and went to his bedroom before checked on Kevin, but he had something in mind for the day. He looked to the picture on his bedside table.

           “I am not living in the past. I need to do it, I know my limit. I need to do it” Kris whispered in small voice. He didn’t need to voice it out, no one would hear it. He just need it for himself. He took deep breath and dialled James’s number. It only took two rings for James to pick the phone up.

          “James, I take the offer” That’s enough to convey the message. He could leave the conference at the third day as James said and had two days to do what he wished to spend the time. He pulled out his luggage and threw several clothes he needed. He hoped he could bring Kevin with him, he breathed deeply trying to harden his heart, he needed to go back. It was eaten him slowly, he had to do this. For himself and for Kevin.

 

HUSBAND

            “How are you?” Kris said while put the white lily bouquet on the grave above several bouquets that had been put there before. He smiled slightly seeing various colour of flowers decorated beautifully. They must choose the flowers carefully. Big bouquet of red and white rose beside the equal big of peony, Chanyeol and Tiffany, their name engraved on the two bouquets.

“They really love you” He whispered, many came to wish her in her birthday. There were many people loved her. He touched the flowers, they were all beautiful and wishing the best wish for her. His eyes caught uncommon flowers being arrange on bouquet. He looked closer to the said bouquet and brought it to his lap. A single water lily between the red roses, disturbing beautiful he noted. There was small white envelope came with the bouquet. He knew he had no right to read. However, somehow he wanted to know what the person wrote and who the person was.

Every woman can be rose, only brilliant beautiful strong soul can be water lily

- Shafa Rasyid - 

               “Kris” He turned his head to the source of voice. Sehuna’s mother smiled to him, she saw the bouquet he was currently holding and the small note on his hand. He gave the bouquet and the note to her, the older woman raised her brows before she took it from him. She read the sentence and smiled softly.

            “She was Sehun’s roommate when she was on student exchange at State. The two like opposite pole, they have nothing in common” She told him with longing in her eyes, small smile graced her beautiful face.

           “But they love each other dearly like sisters” She added in soft voice, Kris nodded his head in understanding. She looked closely to his face, seemed regretting her comment that brought the solemn expression on his face, Kris smiled softly to her.

              “I will be okay, mother” She didn’t believe it, but didn’t fight on it either. He averted his gaze back to the pile of bouquets on the grave, she took it as a cue to leave him. She pated his shoulder before made her way to their car. She glanced around long enough to gain back her composure, gathering the strong she could muster to offer sincere smile to her son in law, though he didn’t see it.  One last glance, she threw to him before harden her heart giving him a space alone. Kris waited for minutes, he couldn’t stand the pity everyone sent to him, no…. Sehuna’s mother cared of him, it made thing harder for him. He tried his best to squeeze the guilty conscience away in present of the older women. However, who did he try to kid with? He took away her only child, the daughter she gave born to, the girl she raised with love and the woman she permitted to marry him in the hope to conquer the happiness. He clenched his fists, crushing the bouquet he brought in the process, before unclenched his grip on it.

            “Kevin is …..” The word “happy” caught in his throat, he closed his eyes forcing the tears that gattered in the corner of his eyes away.

            “Kevin is okay” He settled to the one word, he knew close enough to the reality. He placed the daisy bouquet beside the others. He crouched down before the grave, felt content to just doing it.

            “Brilliant beautiful strong soul” He whispered to the thin air.

 

SON IN LAW

             Stepping inside the Oh’s household left unsettling feeling on him, guilt and resentment took the most part. His mother in law smiled to him and invited him inside, the driver had the maid brought his luggage. A man on his mid 50 bowed in 90 degree to them, he bowed back to him, the man was quite taken back by his action, but didn’t say thing over it. He smiled to the maids he met on the way to his assigned bedroom. He stopped on his track when his mind provided him vaguely remembrance of his supposed to be room when he was staying at the Oh’s.

            He turned to the other corridor, he vaguely realized he was unfamiliar with the mansion. However, he knew he would arrive at the right room. The paintings decorated the wall brought back memories to surface. First time he laid his eyes on the paintings, he believed its beauty had captured his heart. He might make great architect, but being painter wouldn’t ever be his option. He stood before one particular painting, he remembered the painting. That time he didn’t have time to observe it to his heart content. The painting might not as magnificent as the others, no it was inappropriate word, it was arranged on the centre of the other paintings. He couldn’t pin point what it was, but it was something on that desert hall of gallery and in the end of it man on black suit had his attention on certain paint.

             “Kris” The soft voice brought him back from his deep thought.

              “Oh……” His mother-in-law stiffened before she was relaxing and gave him small smile. He had no idea how to react. Thus, he waited for her to speak first. She caught it perfectly well. She smiled again and touched the painting traced it with his index finger before looking back to him. She tried to move the painting, Yifan helped him, she read the date of the painting being started and finished.

             “Eighteen year old Sehuna made man of her dream at Seoul Art Gallery” Yifan stiffened, he had no right to feel that way. It happened long before he met her. However, he felt sad maybe she would be happy with the man instead of him. He squared his shoulders, his eyes soften, he offered smile to Sehuna’s mother.

             “He must be significant to Sehuna, her first love maybe” His mother-in-law looked at him with saddest eyes he ever saw before it changed to realization. She chuckled and laughed a little. She finally grabbed the bitter sweet of the situation

              “That stupid girl” She muttered under her breathe.

            “I am her first love” He whispered, what made the painting familiar was he saw Sehuna’s other painting with him on his back.

          “Kris” Sehuna’s mother called in panic. She grabbed his hands and made him look at her. Worry and love were clear on her eyes, she squeezed his hands. She ignored the wedding band on his ring finger. Kris almost said he was okay when she beaten him first.

          “This is why, I am trying to never mention her name. You are my son, Yifan. I won’t let you get hurt, I don’t want to see you sad. I want you to be happy” She took deep breath. He knew how serious she was.

        “Forget my daughter. Please, if it this only way to ensure smile on your face. Forget my daughter” She said firmly, her eyes determined to make Kris did as she wished.

        “You are destined for Sehuna, but Sehuna was destined for you. Sehuna’s red string of fate had been ended when she passed away. On the other hand, maybe there is other woman who are destined for you. You will always be destined for Sehuna, Sehuna was, but she is not again. You still have your life and no one will mind if you find your other” She said softly, she let Kris hands go. His eyes fixed on the painting, she had to do this.  

         “Sehuna took after you” He said with smile on his face. Sehuna’s mother was taken back, she expected protest or might be a defeat. She didn’t see it coming.

         “Thank you” That was only she could say. 

FATHER

           Kris were the last passenger who left the airplane, he helped an older women to retrieve her bag from above. He retrieved his briefcase and new toy for Kevin and waited patiently to take his turn, before he exited the plane he formally thanked the crew and praised them for their excellent service, wished them good day. It was not his habit, but Shun did it. He was getting used to do it as well. The male attendant nodded his head, the female one blushed slightly. He reached for his cell-phone, turned it on and dialled Pierre’s number. The man picked the call in two rings.

            “Already arrive safely on San Francisco, Master Wu” Pierre . He needed to make Pierre forgetting that stupid title. He was mildly annoyed with the maids and butler, but he was beyond pissed to receive the same title from someone he called so “friends”.

            “I am waiting for the lift. I have good news from the conference to share should you want to know about it”

            “We have already in the airport. Well, your father is here and who will refuse good invitation to have breakfast in extravagant restaurant” Kris couldn’t help grin that slipped on his face. It was good to have them as friends, they could crack joke and insulted him every time they want without any boundaries. Who would have gut to insult him, if he was still working at Seoul under his father’s flag.

            He thanked Pierre and said he would be out in 15 minutes maximal after he retrieved his luggage. He was waiting for his luggage when someone pated his shoulder. He turned his body and met with the flying attendant from before. He furrowed his brows before he smiled politely to her. The other passengers looked at them interestingly. It was not common scene to see flying attendant went to luggage retrieving area. Kris had caught several pair of eyes even in the long flight from Melbourne to San Francisco.

            “May I help you?” Kris asked kindly. The female attendant blushed slightly and took something from her handbag.

            “We found it on your seat, Sir” She said to him and gave the novel to Kris. He took the book from her.

            “Thank you very much. It’s one of my wife favourite books” He said while looking to examine it, prayed that no damage because of his carelessness. He bowed to her as gratitude and sincere smile bloomed on his face. It was an understandable how surprised she was when he bowed to her, she felt guilty crept on her heart, her intention was not as pure as he thought, she wanted to know this man and maybe had coffee with him. She finally caught the glimpse of simple wedding silver band on his ring finger, this man has married to someone else. She bowed back to him, it was only polite to do so. The attendant excused herself and he went back to wait for his luggage. He didn’t realize there was several young woman who took interest on him sighed or shook their heads in disappointment.

         He didn’t think of the reason why the attendant knew it was his and why she had to go such length to give the novel back to him. However, he was grateful for what she did. He took a sleeve on his briefcase and placed the novel inside with care. Kris had personally asked Sehun’s mother of Sehun’s book collection to be sent to him. His mother in law didn’t ask him why and his father brought it to him while he visited them. Sehun’s mother arranged the books on the several boxes and gave note to it.

             Kris walked to the entrance and looked around for his father and his friends. His smile widen when he saw Kevin was there, he looked very excited about something he talked with James. He hoped the prankster didn’t teach his son something ‘weird’. He would pay handsomely for his wrong ‘teaching’. He fasten his pace to them. Kevin saw him and the little boy made a grabby hand wanted to be carried. He laughed and gave his briefcase and luggage to Mr. Kahn who took from him.

             “I miss Baba” Kevin said when he was already in Kris’s embrace. Kris inhaled his hair and surely he really missed his son. The small hands on his front suit, the warm body that warm his heart. He was safe, he was sound. He was live and he was here.

              “I miss you more” He said without letting his son from his tight embrace.