Fidem

Amare

 

“Doctor Kim” Chanyeol felt surprised to see him in the cemetery. Joonmyeon smiled to him.

          “Park Chanyeol-shi” He acknowledged.

          Silence came to their surroundings, Chanyeol put white lily and chrysanthemum bouquet to the grave.

          “To this time I have met many patients, but no one like her” Chanyeol nodded his head.

          “How is Tiffany-shi?”

          “She is fine” Joonmyeon nodded his head. Chanyeol averted his gaze around, it was spring. Last year the winter came early, the meteorologist predicted the winter would come early December this year.

          “How are Kris-shi and Kevin?” Joonmeyon asked.

          “They are doing well. They are living at San Francisco”

          “Oh…..” Joonmyeon understood.

          Silence took her place once more. They were standing in front of the grave.

          “Chanyeol-shi?” Joonmyeon waited for his attention.

          Chanyeol moved his gaze to him.

          “She said you’re the best brother she could ever wish”

          Chanyeol felt warm in his chest. He looked to Sehun’s grave and smiled.

          I miss you dongsaeng

------------------------

       Flashback 

          Chanyeol drove his car as fast as possible to the nearby hospital. Sehun was with Tiffany at the back seat. Tiffany hold Sehun tightly, her tears were streaming down her face. She ever saw how bad she was beaten, but her heart didn’t settle for this matter. When they found her, she was in fetal position, vas and glass was everywhere in the living room. Sehun was pale, really pale, bruised on her face, she didn’t know where the blood from. All she knew she wanted to hold her and made sure she was live and they didn’t come too late.

          Chanyeol brought Sehun in his arms and shouted for help. The nurse and doctor who saw him rush to his side and brought Sehun to ICU. Tiffany couldn’t stop herself from crying, she buried her face on Chanyeol’s chest. She was afraid, afraid if something bad happened to Sehun. They didn’t care that they made a commotion, all the two wanted was Sehun to be safe.

          They waited on the bench outside the ICU. Chanyeol caressed Tiffany’s hair and back to sooth her. He tried to remain calm, he couldn’t believe what he saw, he wished it was just dream. Twice…. Twice…. He came to rescue Sehun, rescue her from his husband non other his friend, someone he considered as best friend. He couldn’t believe it, he couldn’t believe his hyung was this monster, where was his hyung go? Sehun was his friend’s wife, but after he knew her better, he considered her as little sister and he wouldn’t let anyone hurt his sister. The divorce paper, he needed the divorce paper. He pulled Tiffany away.

          “I need to do something. I won’t take long time” He told Tiffany and ran fast to his car. Chanyeol drove fast to Kris’ house and was running to the inside. It was still same like when he left, he found the divorce paper. He looked around the room, he wanted to laugh. Why he didn’t realize it? This house was exactly the same, it was Kris. He shouldn’t be this dumb, he would believe Kris lived alone if Sehun was not there. All in this room was Kris, no trace of Sehun.

          “Is it what you want Kris? You wish she never come to your life, her existence is burden and you want to remove her? We’ll take care of her and treasure her like the way she must” Chanyeol held the divorce paper tightly and slipped it on his coat.

          A month ago Chanyeol still believed that Kris would change, maybe the baby would make him realize that he made mistake, but in just days he changed his mind. Coincidently, Chanyeol encountered with Kris. Lay and him needed something to cool off, they decided to come to bar that Lay knew, he said he needed to tell him something. Lay almost laughed his out witnessing how hard Chanyeol got permission from his wife. They were on third drinks when he saw Kris was there. Chanyeol was about to stood when Lay prevented him by holding his wrist and shook his head. Chanyeol sat again, but his gaze followed Kris every move.

          “It’s what you want to tell me, Lay. He is cheating on Sehun” Chanyeol hissed, Lay closed his eyes and nodded his head weakly.

          “Does she know?”

          “Yes” Lay answered his question and took long shot after the confirmation.

          “How long?”

          “From the start” He grabbed his coat and left the place. He called his friend and told him, he needed divorce paper for someone and told him to make it fast. He companied Sehun to arrange anything that needed to process the divorce. He gave the final divorce paper to Sehun, the last thing lack was Kris signature, with that they would separate.

          Chanyeol left the house, took a slight glance before drove his car. The house Kris designed with all of his idea, effort, time was waste in his eyes. The house didn’t look magnificent and beautiful anymore for him, in his eyes the house was just brought sorrow and unending sadness for someone, even she said she loved the house for him it was entirely different. If he took other minutes, he would see Kris and Lay rush to the house.

---------------------------

          Sehun was conscious a day later and another 3 days of bed rest. Doctor said she needed more to recover, but she didn’t like the hospital so they brought her to their house. Her pregnancy was weak so doctor didn’t allow her to move around with her condition, she could leave bed after another full week of rest. Every time Chanyeol or Tiffany visited her in her room, she would apologize to be their burden. When she strong enough to walk, they found her helped the maid to do house chores. Tiffany was mad to the maid, how could they give her permission. She apologized on their behalf and tried to explain that she needed to do something and it was what she knew she was good at.

          One night in silence in the balcony, they saw Sehun on their garden. She was not alone; she was with the gardener and a nurse Chanyeol paid to help her. Sehun was watering the flowers, the nurse also did the same. They watched the scent in silence. Sehun saw them when she looked up and waved to them. They smiled and waved back, Sehun went to other side of the garden.

          “I hate him, but when I see smile every time we mention about him grace on her beautiful face, I don’t know anymore. I want to shout how unfair this world, why he can’t see her?” Chanyeol averted his gaze to Tiffany, he took deep breath and looked up to the blue sky.

          “I hate myself more” Tiffany frowned and looked to him.

          “If I wasn’t too oblivious, If I was observant like Lay-hyung maybe I could do something for her. Maybe I could prevent Kris, maybe I would still have my hyung” Tiffany squeezed Chanyeol’s hand.

          “We couldn’t turn back the time, but from now on we will do everything to help and support our dongsaeng. Even though he can’t see how precious she is, we see it and we won’t let her gets hurt anymore” Chanyeol squeezed her hand back with his gaze still in the blue sky.

          They averted their gaze to the garden once again when heard how cheerful Sehun’s laugh. There they saw her played with the water and of course she got wet. They shook their head, but couldn’t help to smile.

---------------------------

          Three months of her pregnancy, Sehun told them she wanted to live by herself. They have hard time to make her stay with them, she didn’t want to bother them. Chanyeol offered his parent’s house, there they could monitor her and have butler also maid who still he paid to take care of the house.

          “I can’t risk meet with my parents or anyone who knows me here in Seoul. Eunni, you tell me I need to move on, if I’m still here I won’t take first step. I need to prepare myself to live with my baby, I can take care of myself. I promise you, I’ll take care of my health for the baby well-being”

Finally they agreed after Sehun agreed with their proposition. Tiffany searched for the apartment, Sehun didn’t want big apartment and stood her ground for single room apartment. Tiffany found one that pass Sehun’s criteria or her criteria to be exact. It was tiny apartment but cozy one with kitchen and dining room, living room, bed room with bathroom inside and bathroom outside. She and Chanyeol changed the furniture to make it look like ordinary apartment. Sehun didn’t need to be smart to realize this apartment was exclusive one, but she had promised to take the apartment just to make Tiffany less terrified. The nursery was set up also in her bedroom, that’s what Tiffany said. She couldn’t be more grateful to have them.  

----------------------------

          Tiffany was alone with Sehun in her apartment when suddenly Sehun asked her to give something for Kris.

          “What is it?” Tiffany asked, she swears she didn’t want to meet Kris.

          “Two days from now is my parents wedding anniversary. He will get trouble if he shows up alone without me and has no explanation, it is gift for them. Suzy helped me to get them and this is letter for Kris-shi” Sehun gave her the letter.

          “Why?” Tiffany asked her in disbelief.

          “I can’t go there so I need someone to give my present to my parents”

          Tiffany came to Chanyeol’s workplace, she made sure Chanyeol was nowhere when she gave Kris the gift and the letter. She said nothing and went in hurry, no luck she met Chanyeol’s head department. Chanyeol would know she came, she thought an excuse for Chanyeol fast. She called him to inform him she was in his office to ask him for lunch, but drove to boutique because Soyoung got problem there. Chanyeol bought it.

          “Is she okay?” Kris asked her one day when they met at company event.

          “She is doing well” Kris nodded his head and left her when Chanyeol came back from toilet. And every time she met Kris, she got same question and she gave same answer.

          She and Suzy gave Kris gift or something from Sehun several times, for his father-in-law birthday, event that she needed to come and so on, the good thing they didn’t realize something was odd. She didn’t know why, but Sehun must have written a letter to them and they bought her story, like Chanyeol believed all her excuse when she came to his work place.

-------------------------

          Everything was going well enough, that’s what they thought. Tiffany companied her when she check-up, sometime Chanyeol would come along. Chanyeol didn’t mind to drive from Seoul to Busan and back again even it cost 3 hours every single trip to do that and they have driver to take Tiffany there when he couldn’t accompany her. At first the hospital staff mistook him as Sehun’s husband, but Sehun explained to them that he was his brother. He was really happy that Sehun told them he was her older brother and wouldn’t mind to have jealous Tiffany, well she was hot when she was jealous. He sensed Sehun hiding something after she had collapsed before his eyes, but didn’t push her to tell him. The doctor didn’t inform him and only said it was patient-doctor confidential. He tried to accept it.

Chanyeol thanked God when he was assigned for building project at Busan, he begged his head department to send him there instead of his co-worker, as vice of head department wasn’t common to do trivial job, but he argued it was necessary for the company to have professional one in the field, not he doubt the others, to make sure everything on the place he believed his presence was needed. After long conversation Chanyeol got what he wanted with bold mark, he would be back and forth Seoul-Busan when the situation called off.

Tiffany has no problem with her job, she owned boutique and restaurant, she could do what she wanted and didn’t have to worry because she has capable persons in her side. Soyoung as the other owner of the boutique would manage it and could call her when she was needed, the same way applied to her restaurant. She has Hyoyeon as manager so no reason she wouldn’t tag along with Chanyeol to move temporary to Busan. They didn’t need to tell Sehun why and how, all Sehun needed to know was they would be there for her.

           “Sehun, do you need something else?” Tiffany asked her after put down the medicine she got from pharmacy.

          “That’s all I need. Thank you for your help. Sorry to keep bothering you, eunni” She smiled apologetically.

          Tiffany shook her head and walked to where she sat. Sehun’ pregnancy didn’t go really well. Doctor said it was because her body was weak and unprepared pregnancy. Maybe for the others it was coincident or bad luck, but for her it was miracle. She never in her wildest dream wished to have child from Kris. She wouldn’t dare to dream of it like she didn’t dare to bring her hope up that someday Kris would love her or at least saw her anything but a burden. She caressed her stomach, it was 6 months of her pregnancy. To keep this baby, doctor gave her supplements, vitamin, and so on.

          “How is your work, eunni?” She asked her.

          “It’s going smoothly well. The restaurant well taken and the boutique make good fortune”

          “Anyway, how are my dongsaeng and my soon to be born nephew?” Sehun smiled and brought Tiffany’s hand to her stomach.

          “I’m okay, auntie. Thanks to you and uncle Chanyeol” Tiffany laughed to that.

          They spent the afternoon to talk and shared their story, they talked about their youth life, Tiffany when she lived at state also her family, Sehun offered condolence when she knew Tiffany lost mother at young age. The story moved to Sehun from her school life, her painting and dancing hobbies, also her family. Tiffany ended the conversation when Sehun yawned.      

          Sehun and Tiffany were on the district shop at Busan to search for baby stuffs. Tiffany was on the other side of the shop looking for ribcage, she found the one she like and was about to ask Sehun if she would like to take the ribcage. She couldn’t help, but feel sad when Sehun was standing there watching a couple chose clothes and other stuff for their unborn child together. Tiffany masked smile on her face and patted her back, Sehun turned around and smiled to her, Tiffany brought her to the ribcage place.

          Chanyeol came to the shop along with Suzy. Chanyeol hired her again after they found out about Sehun’s condition, the doctor told him to monitor Sehun’s activities, he couldn’t come with better idea. Tiffany and he had work to do so they hired her back, she lived at same floor as Sehun, three door to her right. He bought the Sehun’s and Suzy’s place, he kept it hidden secret from the latter.

          “Oppa” He blinked his eyes several time and met with blue and green baby shocks in front of his face.

          “Which one better?” Tiffany asked.

          “I like the blue one”

          “Okay, we take the green one” Chanyeol was dumbfound. Sehun smiled in amusement.

          “We bet which one you take, oppa. If you say you chose the blue, we will take the green and the opposite also apply”

          “You know that I’ll chose the blue, right?” He raised his eyebrow. She smiled sweetly to him.

          “Witch” He mumbled, Tiffany ignored him and grabbed another baby stuff she took liking. Sehun just nodded everytime Suzy and Tiffany suggested something. She held a dragon plush when Chanyeol patted her shoulder. Chanyeol took the plush and paid for it before gave it back to Sehun.

          “You two chose for small stuff like clothes, I’ll take Sehun to get the ribcage, wallpaper theme and other furniture to suit the room”

          “Okay” Tiffany gave sign with her fingers without averted her gaze from little shoes she was holding.

          Chanyeol took Sehun to the bench outside the shops, she had the dragon plush on her lap. Chanyeol left her to buy a bottle of mineral water and gave it to her. He forced her to take rest, she was standing too long and it wouldn’t do good for the baby and her.

          “Don’t force yourself, you can go for shopping next time. Tiffany is miss shopper, she has source of power for this kind of activity” He rolled his eyes while made the statement. Sehun brought her hand to , they were weird couple. Her laughed died down after a while.

          “I’m envy of you two, oppa” She said sincerely and offered him a smile. Chanyeol was taken back, he looked to her eyes. She was smiling, but he could really read sadness in her eyes.

          “I’m happy you have each other” He didn’t know what to do, all he could do was ruffle her hair.

-----------------------------

              Chanyeol brought chocolate and bouquet of flower for Sehun from his sister, his sister knew about Sehun because they had met coincidentally at Chanyeol’s house. From that day she acted like big sister to her. He was about open the door when she heard Suzy told her about the gift she sent to Kris’ parents.

Sehun and Suzy were surprised to see him. Sehun gave sign for Suzy to leave them. Suzy excused herself and sent Sehun an apologetic smile. Sehun eyes lit up when she saw what Chanyeol were holding.

“Is that for me?” He nodded his head and gave them to Sehun who received with big smile. Chanyeol averted his gaze and walked to window side. No word came from their mouth, Chanyeol still processed information he got.

“I kinda disappointed on you” He said in low tone. Sehun sighed and moved the flower and chocolate aside. She waited for him to continue.

“Not just to you, but also Tiffany and Suzy. It’s not about the gift. It won’t do any good for you, he is your ex-husband and what you do is wrong, you lie to his parents and your parents as well. It will hurt you in the end” He shook his head.

“Oppa…. I’m sorry” Chanyeol rubbed his face, Sehun wasn’t in good condition. He took deep breathe and inhaled as many as oxygen he could. He closed his eyes and balled his fist. After he had calm down, he turned around and offered her tiny smile that didn’t reach his eyes.

“Forget about it. Just take a rest” He said to her. Sehun couldn’t help, but felt guiltier than before. She had lied to him and it’s not about the gift, she lied to him. She never sent the divorce paper back to the lawyer.

“I’m sorry, oppa. He is my husband and always be the only one”

-------------------------------

                Chanyeol dragged his feet to the company building, he was back to Seoul to take some document. He leaned his back on the elevator wall and closed his eyes. Three days has drained all of his power, the most tiring days in his life. He couldn’t compare it with when his mother or father passed away, he was sad and tired that time, but it was entirely different story. That time Tiffany was always beside her and he has his other friends and relative as well, the company offered their condolence and gave his time. In this current situation, he needed to deal with his work, no Tiffany to share with, he couldn’t tell her, Tiffany was already really worry about Sehun and he couldn’t just couldn’t tell her or anyone else and above the other responsibility he has in his shoulder, he knew he couldn’t help Sehun to get what she needed the most. God already knew his miserable because a voice brought him to harsh reality.

          “Wait, hold on please” There he saw Kris was slightly panting.

          “Thank you” Kris looked up and widened his eyes when he saw Chanyeol in the elevator. Chanyeol averted his gaze from Kris. Kris took the other side of the elevator, it was still morning for both of the man or the entire worker. 07.15 a.m, still 45 minutes before their actual time for work. Kris was the one who broke the silence.

          “How are you?” Kris asked.

          “Why do you need to ask, we meet every day” Chanyeol said with venom visible in his voice. Kris flinched, but smiled a little.

          “Chanyeol, I’m sorry. I…. “ The elevator door opened and they arrived at their destination.

          “I go first” Chanyeol said and rush outside. Kris just nodded his head and shouted to him to have nice day.

Chanyeol was on meeting with his head department when a call interrupted him. He apologized before took his phone from his coat.

Jongdae…. He frowned when he read his college friend’s number.

“Hello, Jongdae. Why did you apologize?”

“What are you referring you are too busy with another case and just remember about the divorce……” Chanyeol couldn’t believe in his ear. He checked for the confirmation once more.

 “Is that so? Okay” Chanyeol laughed bitterly and shook his head.

He grabbed the documents he need, he called Tiffany to tell her about the news. What he couldn’t believe was Tiffany knew it. He had no idea anymore.

“I couldn’t believe you have lied to me. Is he already your ex-husband or I have mistaken it Mistress Wu.” Chanyeol hissed.

“He is bastard. Do you still can’t grab this obvious fact?”

Sehun hang her head low.

“He almost killed you and your baby. Is it not enough reason to leave him?”

“He didn’t know that I carry a baby” She said without hesitation.

 “Sehun is enough, how many times you will jump to defend him? Is he that worthy? That’s bastard, he is cheating on you, he treated you like trash, he even didn’t care if he killed you or your baby” Chanyeol couldn’t keep his temper in check.

Sehun hold the sheet tightly, her tears began streaming down her face. Chanyeol was at the edge and he was really damn if stopped there.

“You want a divorce at first place to keep the baby safe, right? That means you also don’t believe he will spare the baby’s live, maybe he will force you to abort the baby. Where in right mind to think otherwise even after he knows? He won’t give damn about the baby” Chanyeol’s widened his eyes when he realized what effect of his words brought. Sehun was already hard to breathe.

“Sehun… Sehun… Sehun….” Suzy was from the outside when she heard Chanyeol’s shouted. She rush to Sehun’s side and pushed Chanyeol.

“Breath, Sehun breath. Sehun” Suzy said to her.

“Call the doctor” Suzy commanded. Chanyeol ran outside tried to find nurse or doctor fast. There he saw Doctor Kim and a nurse walked from other side of corridor.

“Doctor” Chanyeol shouted in distress and made Joonmyeon looked up from medical check-up he read. Joonmyeon could sense it was something related to Sehun, he gave sign to the nurse to follow him and Chanyeol.

“What’s going on?” Joonmyeon asked to Suzy. Suzy didn’t give him words, Chanyeol looked down in guilt. Joonmyeon averted his gaze to Sehun who had calm down. They gave her sedative in minimal amount.

“She didn’t need another stress to add. Her condition isn’t the ideal for pregnancy from the start. With her condition it’s miracle she can go this far” Joonmyeon took deep breath before looked to Chanyeol’s eyes straight forward.

“I think we will have delivery the baby early or the worst scenario is we can lose one of them or rather I said the mother” Chanyeol closed his eyes. His hands were shaking, they couldn’t lose her or the baby.

“Does Sehun know?” Chanyeol asked, Joonmyeon nodded his head slightly.

          “I told her to abort the baby first time I checked on her at her 3rd to 4th month and I was aware that I was not the only one told her when she smiled to me and she said I was totally wrong with calm expression. I don’t need to worry about her, the baby is her reason to live, if the baby is okay, she will be definitely fine”

          What Joonmyeon had said kicked his realization with force. First time Sehun checked her was three months ago, same exact date she moved to Busan. She was so adamant that time, she refused to back down and argued fiercely, passionately it was the best if she moved out. The real reason why Sehun wanted to move out of their house and from Seoul wasn’t only she wanted to live independent, she must heard this kind of conversation. She didn’t want to abort her baby and they would definitely hear this if Sehun was continuing her medical treatment or checked up at Samsung Medical Center, Seoul.

I can’t risk meet with my parents or anyone who knows me here in Seoul. Eunni, you tell me I need to move on, if I’m still here I won’t take first step. I need to prepare myself to live with my baby, I can take care of myself. I promise you, I’ll take care of my health for the baby well-being

          “I’ll pay everything needed, don’t care how much it is, but please do your best to safe them” Chanyeol’s eyes were glistening when he said that, his head was hanging low and Joonmyeon wouldn’t need to be smart to know what Chanyeol felt.

          “We will do our best even without you ask me to” It’s silence between them afterward. Joonmyeon pretended to write something in the medical report and waited for Chanyeol to say something.

          “What does she need the most to help her…. to increase the survival chance?” Chanyeol asked in low tone. Joonmyeon took his glasses off and searched for Chanyeol’s eyes. Chanyeol looked up to meet with Joonmyeon’s sad eyes.

          “We will provide the best medical treatment we could, but for your question I know an answer. We need God to help her and the other answer you know by yourself” He knew the answer, he knew what she needed, but he couldn’t give that to her.

          Joonmyeon stood from his chair after Chanyeol left his room. He moved to the window and inhaled long breath. He didn’t say all what Sehun said to him toward Chanyeol. He didn’t know why, but he couldn’t bring himself to believe in such words. He had no faith like her, and he knew that perfectly.

Good or bad matter is always good. Good matter taught you to be grateful and bad matter taught you to be patient

That beautiful and sincerely smile while she said those words. He wish she would make it and he would do his best to safe them both.

-------------------------------

          Like Doctor Kim had predicted, Sehun was becoming weak each time. She has admitted fully to the hospital 3 weeks before the due date prediction. Tiffany took full of her time to be with her, Suzy was the one who would always by her side. Doctor Kim and the nurses told them to take rest, Suzy was her paid nurse, but they also had qualified nurses so Suzy nodded her head in defeated. It was weekend so Chanyeol companying her. Chanyeol was sitting beside her bed.

“Can I ask you something, Chanyeol-oppa?” Sehun asked. Chanyeol nodded his head.

          “If something bad happen to me, promise me you will be there for him and my baby. Please, don’t turn your back on him. Maybe no one realized, but he is fragile, he fights all by himself, he doesn’t have a shoulder to cry on and I couldn’t provide one for him. He needs friend, he needs family, he needs everyone and not just himself alone every time”

          “Sehun, nothing bad would happen” Chanyeol didn’t want to hear anything more. Sehun shook her head.

“Good or bad matter is always good. Good matter taught you to be grateful and bad matter taught you to be patient”

“Sehun, I can’t promise anything to you, but I’ll try my best” Chanyeol already has unshed tears in his eyes.

          “Thank you” She said with smile grace her beautiful face.

          “Just promise me. You will fight”

          “Human is trying and God will be the one who deciding” She smiled sincerely to him. He knew she didn’t give up, she just didn’t want to break promise that maybe she couldn’t keep.

          “Chanyeol-oppa” She opened her arms to him

          “My dongsaeng, please live” Chanyeol whispered and hugged her for the first time and maybe for the last time.

          It was tiring day for Kris, their company get several big projects. He was barely have time to sleep. He opened the door of his house.

          “I’m home” He said to no one. He put his shoes on the shoes rack and went to the kitchen to grab juice from refrigerator. He has eaten with Lay outside, he was grateful that Lay didn’t give him cold shoulder like Chanyeol. Chanyeol was doing project in Busan that made they had slimmest chance to meet or talk. He massaged his forehead, he needed to tell his parents and Sehun’s parents about their divorce, he avoid Sehun’s father in every chance he had, Kris knew Sehun called her mother because her mother told Kris that she was really happy Sehun made call frequently, but she was sad because couldn’t meet Sehun on person. He also knew Sehun had called Kris’ parents several time, she still sent gift to them also would sent another gift for Kris to bring to some events. Chanyeol must tell her and that made him guiltier. She was his ex-wife, she didn’t need to do that. That’s why he called his parents and in laws to meet him tomorrow at lunch. He didn’t need to lie anymore, he would tell them the truth, how actually he was, how jerk and bastard he to Sehun, and their divorce. His father could disown him, his in law could hate him. He deserved that.

          Kris woke up with sweat in his forehead.

          I can’t live without you

He closed his eyes and brought his hands to his face. 2 in the morning he saw his clock, he drunk glass of water in one gulp. He just lied there, he couldn’t close his eyes anymore. Something was not right, he could feel it. It’s not first time, he dreamed of it, but it’s the first time he saw this dream. Sehun was lying beside him, she traced his face with her index finger. She pulled her finger back when he stirred, but he didn’t wake. She whispered something, but all he can manage to understand was I can’t live without you because it was what always she said.

I believe I can’t live without you, but I believe this baby can’t live if I’m still with you

Kris back to the reality when heard ringtone of his cellphone, it was unknown number, he was about to reject when something on him tell him to do otherwise.

“Kris-shi, it’s Tiffany” Kris was surprised to hear her shaky voice.

“Tiffany-shi, what….”

“Please come to Busan District Hospital as fast as possible” She said between sob.

“Is it Chanyeol?” He asked in worry. No answer, but another sobs came.

“I’ll be there, he said”

He drove faster than usual, it was good thing it was night and not many cars passing. It was already 5.15 a.m when he arrived at the said hospital. He rush to the lobby and asked nurse about patient named Park Chanyeol or Park Tiffany, they said no patient with that name, fortunately a nurse told him that she could find Park Chanyeol at 3rd floor, he didn’t listen to what the nurse said and rush to the stair because he has much time to wait for the elevator.

Kris was panting when he arrived at 3rd floor, he felt relieved when he saw Chanyeol and Tiffany, but something inside of him told him otherwise. He didn’t know why his chest felt ache, he shook his head. Kris walked to their direction and stopped in front of Chanyeol.

“Chan…..” He was about to talk when Chanyeol looked up. Chanyeol pulled Tiffany from his embrace and stood from his seat. He punched Kris hard on his jaw, Kris widened his eyes not prepare for this kind of blow. Tiffany watched in horror.

          “Bastard, we don’t need you to be here!!” Chanyeol glared to Kris and then to Tiffany. Chanyeol was on top oif him, grabbed Kris collar and ready to punch him again. Kris could feel blood in his mouth. Tiffany grabbed Chanyeol’s wrist.

          “You called him. Don’t you?” Chanyeol shouted to Tiffany, Chanyeol pushed Tiffany away. Tiffany knew she needed to do something, Chanyeol would definitely kill Kris.

          “Park Chanyeol, STOP!!!! They need him !!!!” Tiffany said with face full of tears, she tried to calm his husband down. Chanyeol stood from his position and took deep breathe, Kris followed immediately, puzzled all over his face. Tiffany tried to touch him and Chanyeol hold up his hands, Tiffany nodded and let him be.

          “What….” Before Kris finished his sentence Chanyeol cut him off.

          “Sehun is inside. Just pray for her and your baby” Chanyeol said and left the two alone. He took seat on the edge of the corridor to give them time. He refused to look at Tiffany, he knew Sehun needed them, but his other side was mad at him for what he had already done to her. He had promised to Sehun, not to turn his back on him. It’s hard more than he believed it would be. Tiffany looked at Chanyeol with sad smile, she couldn’t blame him to lash out. Maybe if he was man, she would do the same. She was grateful Chanyeol listened to her. They didn’t need change a word, Chanyeol had given Tiffany time to explain the situation to Kris.

          “Sehun? Baby?” Tiffany could read disbelief written on his face. He demanded an answer from Tiffany. Tiffany tried her hard to tell Kris between her cried. Kris couldn’t believe what he heard. Tiffany watched Kris broke to his knee. His body was shaking and he brought his hands to his mouth, the oxygen was like leaving him, he could barely breathe. Chanyeol rushed to their side and grabbed his arm, he brought him to stand, helped him to seat. It was time for them to talk, Tiffany excused herself to buy coffee. She wasn’t needed between the two best friends.

          “Fany-ah, you need rest” Chanyeol said to his wife, Tiffany shook her head. Chanyeol gave Suzy signed.

            “Eonni, how about we get coffee and grab a snack?” Tiffany looked up to Suzy.

            “I’ll be here with Sehun. No need to worry” Tiffany sighed and stood from her seat. Sehun offered her a smile and finally she let Suzy dragged her outside. They had barely get sleep. He was the one that most tired than the others. Sehun was his best friend wife, carrying his best friend’s child, and had already become his dongsaeng. He never had dongsaeng and when he got or have something or someone he thought precious hell he would let them get hurt.

          “Oppa” Chanyeol snapped from his thought and immediately rush to her side.

            “Yes, Sehun” He asked softly.

            “Remember what I ever asked you before?” Chanyeol nodded his head. Sehun waited for his answer.

            “To not turn my back on him” She smiled to him, he smiled back.

“Chanyeol-oppa, Can I ask you a favor once more?”

            “You can ask me anything”

            “Give it to Kris-oppa” Sehun gave her wedding band to Chanyeol. Chanyeol was about to protest.

            “I will fight, but it depends on God will. If I’m survive give it back to me and if I’m not tell him to marry someone he loves and raises our child with love” She was crying when she said that, but her words and eyes were sincere. Chanyeol nodded weakly.

            “And give this letter to him, I wish it would help him and our son” She said weakly. He nodded once again.

            Sehun opened her arms for him. Chanyeol hugged her tighter this time.

            “Live well, brother. Take care of eonni, yourself and everyone you love. Don’t blame yourself, and don’t ask what if anymore. What happened to me is fate and I never regret it. Good or bad matter is always good. Good matter taught you to be grateful and bad matter taught you to be patient” They pulled away from each other and Chanyeol kissed her crown.

            “And oppa….” Chanyeol looked at her affectionately.

            “I know it’s early, but happy birthday”

            Chanyeol couldn’t hold his tears anymore and hold her tight.

            Goodbye my dongsaeng……

          “Just pray for them. Pray for them and pay everything to them after that” He said to Kris, but deep inside he had the feeling there wouldn’t be chance. He had braced himself when he signed the paper for Sehun’s surgery. His conversation with Sehun was something he would hold dearly. He would miss his dongsaeng.   

I won’t turn my back on him. I’ll keep my promise to you

           He wiped his tears quickly when Kris didn’t see. Tiffany came with two cups of coffee. Chanyeol shook his head to Tiffany. Kris was hiding his face in his hands. He looked so broken, he was totally different with Kris Wu, she ever saw before. Chanyeol squeezed her hand, she averted her gaze to him. Chanyeol’s eyes focused on the door of ICU, he was nervous. She could tell that, she squeezed back his hand. Both of them needed to comfort each other.

          I can’t live without you. You can live without me

          Kris opened his eyes when he heard the whisper. The light above the ICU went off. They rose from their seat to approach the doctor. Doctor Kim who was still on his surgery clothes, from his expression Chanyeol was already knew he had lost his dongsaeng.

          “How are my wife and baby?” Kris found his voice was crack. The doctor watched carefully.

          “The baby is safe. He is healthy boy” They breathed in relieve. Chanyeol prepared himself. Doctor Kim looked at him slightly and Chanyeol closed his eyes in surrender.

          “We have niece, Chanyeol” Tiffany said happily. Kris smiled to her, but his smiled fade when he saw Chanyeol’s expression.

          “But I’m sorry, we can’t safe her” That’s confirmation was blow for them.

Tiffany closed with her palm.

“No…. Sehun is live…. They need each other. The baby needs her” Tiffany looked up from his position to meet with Chanyeol’s eyes, in her eyes Chanyeol could read really well that she was begging to Chanyeol to tell her it’s lie. Chanyeol brought her to his embrace, not say a thing.

Kris was frozen, he was too shock to hear that. The doctor held his shoulder, afraid that Kris broke down. Kris looked straight to the doctor’s eyes.

“Could I see my wife?” It was first time he referred and acknowledged Sehun as his wife.

“Hyung” Chanyeol tried to prevent him.

“I need to see them” Pleaded was obvious in his voice. The doctor looked to Chanyeol, Chanyeol shook his head pleading. Doctor Kim took deep breath and nodded his head.

“Follow me” Kris followed the doctor as he told. The nurses and the doctor inside were looking at him with pity and sad eyes, the nurse that hold his crying baby nodded her head when met his eyes, she walked to him and gave him his baby. Kris held him carefully, his baby boy. He gave the baby back to the nurse, thanked her. They left him alone with Sehun. He draw the sheet, he couldn’t hold his weight and slide to the floor. His body was shaking really bad, the last time he saw him he left her at the floor bleeding and beaten. When he met her again, she was already left him. He didn’t feel satisfied, he ever said her existence was the reason his life was miserable, it was worst when he realized his words was granted. Your word is your wish….

He didn’t know what happened next, all he knew he was standing before the window of baby. It was already night, he didn’t know how he could pull himself and stood there. He traced his finger on the window, their baby boy was there safe and sound.  

“Hyung, I have something for you” Chanyeol said.

Kris looked to meet with Chanyeol’s red eyes.

“She told me if she could make it to give it back to her, if she couldn’t make it she wanted you to have this and….” Chanyeol took deep breathe and averted gaze to his baby. Chanyeol took something from his coat.

“She wants you to raise your child with the one you love” Chanyeol said in difficulty and crack voice. Kris received the wedding band and the letter. Chanyeol gave him patted on shoulder and left immediately without looking back at him.

Kris hands were shaking when he opened the letter. He choked back sobs that left his mouth. He braced himself and wiped her tears with his back hand.

Through you I live. I have life because of you, and you have life because of me. You are the light in my sorrow, you are the reason I can live. You are the best gift I could ever wish. I shall always love you and I shall never leave you. Even you can’t see me; I’ll be your side. Whatever you do, I will stand by you. Whatever you want, I want too. I shall explore the world through you. I shall see the beautiful of life through you. Remember I love you and don’t forget it. I’ll always by your side. My son, my light, my life

Doctor Kim witnessed the entire scene, stood not far from him. He approached him when he felt it was the good time, it was not time to visit the baby. He knew he was in trouble after this, but he would regret it if he didn’t do something.

Kris turned his gaze when heard a cough.

“Do you want to visit him?” He didn’t wait for answer and walked to the neonatology room. The neonatologist gave him the pass entrance after she looked to Joonmyeon’s pleading eyes.

Joonmyeon and the neonatologist stood in other corner of the room. She let Kris had his time with his baby with their presence there.

Kris understood, he walked closer to the incubator. He placed her wedding band on the incubator and placed his right hand where his wedding band placed above it.

Kevin, Kevin Donorum Wu. That’s name is to remind you how much your mother love you. The best gift she could ever wish. We won’t let anything bad happen to you, we will give everything you need. We will sacrifice everything even our lives for you Kris said in Mandarin.

Chanyeol had witnessed the sadness across their face. Tiffany, Suzy, Mr. and Mrs. Oh, Kris’ parents, Lay, the staff of hospital, and Kris. He couldn’t bring himself to comfort them. He wasn’t shame to tell everyone he was sad as well, just he couldn’t let them see how broke he was. His dongsaeng left him, his dongsaeng was gone.

It was November 26, he always looked forward for this day because he really like surprised he got for his birthday at November 27. Yes, he got surprised the worst surprise of his entire life. He should be hate November 26 maybe but his nephew was born at this day, same day as his mother left to find better way. November 27 would be also the day Sehun buried. He laughed bitterly, he and Tiffany usually would comfort each other, but he couldn’t help himself to make exception. Tiffany has Suzy beside her, she would comfort her better than him.

He left the hospital after he gave Kris the letter and wedding band. He drove from Busan to Seoul at night. He went to the last sanctuary. The butler and the maids were in there surprised by his presence, but not said word and let him in. He ran up stair and opened his old room. He walked fast to the balcony, it was snowing. The winter came earlier this year. He climbed to the roof of his parent house. He didn’t care he was freezing at the roof and snow fell really bad. This roof was his only refuged place, not even Tiffany knew this.

He didn’t realize tears streaming down his face before warm fingers wiped his tears. He turned around to find his older sister beside her.

“Tiffany told me” He nodded his head.

 “She said happy birthday to me” His voice was crack slightly, he brought his knee to his chest. His sister didn’t let out single words. He looked to the sky.

“It’s snowing, winter comes early” He whispered while his hand tried to catch snowfall.

“Is it really cold here? I think I get numb” She brought him to her embrace.

“Cry, Chanyeol, just cry. It’s okay to cry”

He let himself crying, he let himself upset, he let himself break down.

Good or bad matter is always good. Good matter taught you to be grateful and bad matter taught you to be patient 

---------------------------

End of Flashback

"Chanyeol-shi want to have coffee?"

"Sure" Joonmyeon smiled with the answer. Chanyeol looked back once more.

See you next time dongsaeng.... 

Chanyeol smiled and followed Joonmyeon who waited for him.