Luctuosa

Amare

Lay couldn’t help, but smile when he watched Kevin was sleeping soundly. His features reminded him a lot of his mother. Maybe that’s why Kris treasured him a lot, maybe that’s why Kris loves Kevin a lot or maybe because Kevin was the best thing that ever happened in Kris’ life. Lay closed his eyes and took deep breathe.

          “Someday if you know the truth no matter how upsetting the truth is, how mad you are, don’t ever leave your father because you’re meant world to him” Lay said while caressing Kevin’s cheek softly. He smiled before stood up and left Kevin.

          He saw the clock and it was an hour and half after Kris went out. Kevin just stirred in his sleep awhile and went to sleep again. He was still too tired from the long flight and it’s good because to be honest Lay didn’t know what to do when he woke up. He was good with kid, but not in that young age like Kevin’s case. He held his hot chocolate mug closed to his nose. It smelled really nice and sweet. Lay averted his gaze when heard the door being opened and closed. Kris was walking across the living room.

          “Kris, want a hot chocolate?” Lay asked when Kris has finally spotted him in the kitchen. Lay could see his puffy and slightly red eyes, but he didn’t comment on it and made him the drink. Kris sat on the barstool and grabbed a newspaper in the counter.

          “Lay would you mind to accompany me to Sehun’s” Lay turned around to see Kris has his eyes focus on the headline of newspaper, but he knew it was Kris way to avoid his gaze. Lay smiled bitterly, he caught it really well. Cemetery would beyond Kris ability to accept, it was just beyond his power.

          “Sure. The three of us will go there. Kevin will love to greet her”

          Kris finally looked up and smiled slightly to him and nodded. Lay smiled back, Kevin was Kris’ entire world a light in Kris life and he hoped Kevin would feel the same.

          “I’m tired, I guess I’ll go first” Kris said. Lay nodded his head and gave Kris the hot chocolate, Kris thanked him and went to bedroom Kevin was in.

          “Better I call CL, she must feel uneasy with today event” With that Lay called his friend and made sure she wouldn’t give insensitive comment anymore if they crashed over at the cafe.

--

          Kris caressed Kevin’s cheek affectionately while sat on the bed with back on the headboard. Xi Wang…. He would make this come true.

          “Kevin Donorum Wu, I promise you, I won’t ever leave your side” He bent down and kissed Kevin’s forehead.

          “We are going to greet your eumma tomorrow” He whispered and laid himself down beside Kevin.

----

          Lay couldn’t keep his expression blank when he saw Kris was soaked all over his head to toe. Kris ignored him and concentrated to dry Kevin with the towel.

          “Let me” Lay offered, Kris looked from Kevin to Lay and nodded his head when Kevin seemed didn’t mind. He went to the bathroom and shook his head when he looked to himself in the mirror. Kevin ran over the bathroom and gave him hard time to bath him. Kris needed to coax him and even though he was willing he also bath his father as well with splashing the water and he couldn’t help but smile when Kevin tried to shampooing his hair with his tiny hands. Kris just let Kevin did he wish. He loved to hear his son giggling voice, it made him warm inside.

          “Kris, what are you doing there? We have no time to wait you for facial care. Come on!” Lay shouted from outside. He would curse him out loud if he didn’t remember he needed to limit his choice of words because he has Kevin and hell if he would let Kevin heard inappropriate words.

          “Almost done” He shouted back and took bath fast. He grabbed the towel from the rack dried his body and wore the clothes he has prepared before he gave Kevin bath. Kevin was in Lay’s arm when Kris made his way outside. Lay showed Kevin’s Seoul view from the balcony. Kevin has beany and scarf over his neck, he knew really well that’s not Kevin. Lay must bought the items for Kevin. Kris faked a cough and that action made them averted their gaze to him.

          “Baba” Kevin reached hands to him. Kris walked closer and Lay carefully handed him to Kris. Kris nuzzled his nose to Kevin’s small one. The toddler was giggling happily. Kris loved Kevin’s eyes, it reminded a lot of Sehun. Maybe it was just Kris imagination, but he knew Kevin would have eye smile like his mother and that thought make him happy and sad at the same time.

          “Are you ready? We’re going to meet eumma” Kris said with small smile. Kevin tilted his head aside and blinked his eyes rapidly.

          “Eumma?” He tasted it his tongue. Kris didn’t realize he said that loud.

          “Yes, eumma. She gave you the dragon plushy” Kris added and smiled wider.

          “Dlagon”

          Lay couldn’t help, but felt sad. Kevin was too small to know about it. He was smart, but at his age he wouldn’t realize he has no mother beside him. In the right time he face it and when it came he wishes Kevin and Kris wouldn’t get hurt. Kris managed it well as single father, no doubt he did his best to make Kevin felt loved, he hoped Kris’ love would be enough for Kevin and he would make sure he would be there for them both. Lay sneaked out and went to the guest bedroom, he smiled when he saw the dragon plushy. He hid it behind his coat. He was back to the balcony.

          “Kris, it’s the time” Lay said. Kris turned his head and nodded. They made their way to the parking lot. Lay drop by to the café first, CL who has seen Lay’s car ran outside and gave Lay paper bag. She whispered something to Lay and he chuckled. She smiled to Kevin and Kris, bowed slightly and ran back inside. She made coffee for them and chocolate cake also cookies for Kevin. He brought the bag with coffee and cake to the car. Kris eyed him slightly when Lay shoved the bag in front of him.

“Just take it” He took the cup of plain coffee inside.

          “There is cake and cookies for you Kevin from auntie CL” Kris sighed.

          “If it’s for yesterday, it’s nothing. She doesn’t need to do this” Kris said.

          “What are you talking about? It’s just welcoming gift” Lay said while turn his engine on. Kris looked down when Kevin shook his hand. Lay smiled victoriously.

          “Look, my nephew like his welcoming gift” Kris didn’t argue back and helped Kevin to unwrapped the cookies.

          They stopped at the flower shop. Kevin who was on Kris arms played looked around the front of the flower shop.

“Flowe” He said.

“Yes, flower” Kris repeated correctly. The florist smiled brightly to them. While Lay walked further with the florist, Kris scanned the flowers. Lay back to him after he asked the lady to make bouquet of sunflower for him. Kris stood still in front of many kind of lily.

“That’s lily of valley” The lady pointed to one certain lily in the middle.

“Many believed lily of valley will bring happiness. It also means purity, sweetness, humility, and love's good fortune. It is also believed that the flower protects garden of evil spirit. It’s may flower” She explained with small smile.  That time he brought to bouquet to the hospital, he said to the lady from the flower shop back at San Francisco that he would give the bouquet to his son and wife. Kevin looked up to his father who has his eyes fix on the said flower.

“Baba” Kevin tilted his head. Kris blinked his eyes and looked down to Kevin, he smile slightly to him.

“Please, make me two bouquet of lily” He said. The lady nodded her head and gathered the basket of the lily. Kevin smiled delightfully when Kris shoved the smaller bouquet to him.

They thanked the lady and back to the car when Kris suddenly run back inside leave Lay rather confuse and followed him.

“Miss, you have said lily is may flower so could I have another one bouquet consist of April and November flower?” Kris asked hesitantly in rush.

“Sure, daisy and chrysanthemum then” She smiled warmly. Lay didn’t say a thing and chose to back to the car first. He sighed and rested his head slightly on the wheel. He immediately sat properly when heard the door opened.

“Ready to go?” He asked faking the cheerfulness in his voice. Kris smiled to him.

No one of them tried to make conversation. Not that the both of them mind it, they were content with the silence. They just commented in a while or answered Kevin’s question.

Not so long they arrived in front of the cemetery. Lay helped Kris with the bouquet while he held Kevin in his arms. Lay took deep breathe,

They walked slowly and Lay couldn’t help to smile, the soft eyes would always in Kris’ eyes when he saw him with Kevin. It was different from a year ago. That time snow fell really bad, winter came early. This year meteorology reported winter would come at early December. They stopped in front of Sehun’s rest place. They saw several bouquets laid there with letter inside. Lay kneeled on one knee and took a bouquet. He smiled little, the bouquet was Chanyeol’s.

          “He always comes here every month” Lay said to no one, even it’s in small voice Kris could hear it. Kris followed Lay and inspected the letter. He knew the handwriting belongs to Chanyeol.

          “Read it” Lay said and gave the letter to Kris. Kris shook his head.

          “Let me read this for you then” Lay hold his hand up to stop Kris protest. He took deep breathe and read the letter.

          Saeng, how are you today? God takes care of you well, right? I and Tiffany live well and we are trying to be always grateful and happy like you want us to be. Back to the story, last time I came here I told you that Kevin got pneumonia. He has recovered from pneumonia. Kris hyung has recovered from the incident as well. You must be really happy and relieve to hear it. Your parents and in law celebrated Kris hyung’s birthday in San Francisco, it’s sad that I and Tiffany couldn’t come. Hei, saeng I want to apologize if you think I pamper Kevin. Kris-hyung has complained to us about we spend too much money for Kevin. It’s not like that, it’s not just from us, Yura-noona and Suzy takes part on it as well. CEO Wu said Kris-hyung and Kevin couldn’t come because Kevin was in no condition for long flight. Don’t worry, I have told you he has recovered, it’s just Kris-hyung can’t risk Kevin’s health. Cheer up…. He will celebrate his first birthday party, I and Tiffany has bought ticket to San Francisco. We are going to give them surprise. We miss Kevin really bad and Tiffany had whined every day about how cruel I am if I chose work over our nephew birthday. Duh…. As if I will miss it just for something trivial like work. Just kidding, I don’t abandon my work. Saeng, I know it is shellfish,

Lay stopped there and didn’t read the rest.

          “It’s really personal” Lay put back the letter on the envelope.   

          Lay greeted Sehun and laid the bouquet of sun flower he brought. He bowed for a while before straighten back.

“I’ll leave you” Kris nodded his head, he brought Kevin down to the ground and hold his hand. Kris laid the bouquet of lily and gave one of the bouquet to Kevin gave him sign to do the same. Kevin nodded and put the bouquet beside his father’s.

          “Hei, Sehun-ah. We are here. Sorry, we can’t visit you frequently. From what I see many comes here to visit you. You must be really loved by many ones. Who I am kidding of course they love you” I was too blind to not love you. Kris held back his tears, he couldn’t cry in front of her or in front of Kevin. He wanted to say many things, but his throat felt dry so suddenly. Kris turned his head away. He closed his eyes and took deep breathe. He was here to bring Kevin to his mother. He has promised to her that he would bring their son to her.

          “Kevin is here to greet you” Kris finally found his courage and his voice. He looked down to Kevin who looked up to him with the chocolate brown eyes

          “Say hello to Eumma, please” Kevin tilted his head, but did what Kris said.

          “Hello, Eumma” Kevin said and looked up to his father. Kris smiled to Kevin, he was still too young to understand that the one he greeted was someone who gave birth to him. His mother, the one that hold him and kissed his forehead before her last breathe.

          “She smiled really wide even in her weak state. She holds him and kisses his forehead in her last time” That’s what doctor Kim told him after he named Kevin that night.

          “Kevin, Can you tell appa what are you doing this day? Tell appa about your friends and everyone you meet or anything? What do you like and don’t like?”

          “Tell appa? Anything” Kevin asked. Kris nodded. It would be hard for Kevin if he asked him to talk to his mother, he would get it faster if Kevin talked to him. Kevin told many things, he told Kris about his friend from daily care and also Litch. He liked ice cream, cake, milk. He liked his toy especially the dragon plushy.

          “Eumma gave me dlagon?” Kevin asked suddenly. Kris token back but smiled to him.

          “Say thank to eumma then” Kris made Kevin faced Sehun’s stomb.

          “Thank you, Eumma” Kevin said sincerely with his tiny voice.

          “Good boy, give Baba kiss please” Kris kneeled in one knee and Kevin gave him kiss on his cheek.

          “I love Baba” Kevin said suddenly. Kris couldn’t help, but smile widely. 

          “Love you too, Kevin” Kris took the bouquet of daisy and chrysanthemum that lay not far from him. They laid the bouquet beside the previous lily of valley they put down before.  Kris bowed 90 degree which Kevin copied.

          “Thank you” Kris said.

          “Thank you” Kevin did the same. Kris brought Kevin to his arm and Kevin snuggled to his father neck.

          Lay waited for them outside the car. Lay crossed his arm and leaned his body on the car. Sehun has left them a year ago, but it seemed no one could forget her. Lay took his phone and dialed Chanyeol’s number.

          “Hello, Lay-hyung. Why do you call me?” Chanyeol asked from other line.

          “Kris is here with Kevin” Lay informed him. It’s pure silence for a while.

          “Is that so?” Chanyeol asked like a whisper.

          “Sehun must be happy” Chanyeol said. Lay nodded his head even Chanyeol didn’t see it.

          “Take care of them” Chanyeol said seriously.

          “I will don’t worry” Lay ended the phone. Lay smiled when he saw Kris and Kevin walked to his direction. Kris smiled warmly to him.

          “I think I want ice cream. Does someone like to join?”

          Kevin lifted his head from his father’s chest when he heard the ice cream word.

          “Ice clim” He clapped happily. They laughed at that.

Before he turned the engine on, hee showed dragon plushy before Kevin’s face. Kevin smiled widely when he saw Lay brought his dragon plushy. He reached out and thanked Lay while nuzzled his plushy. Kris smiled gratefully to Lay who just shrugged his shoulder.

          “Kris-ge” Lay called Kris.

          “Yes, Lay” Kris said without averted his gaze from Kevin who played with the dragon plushy.

          “Raise him with love”

          “I will”

“She told me if she could make it to give it back to her, if she couldn’t make it she wanted you to have this and….” Chanyeol took deep breathe and averted gaze to his baby.

“She wants you to raise your child with the one you love”

          Kris unconsciously touched Sehun’s wedding band on his. He would make sure to raise their child with love. He bended down to kiss Kevin’s crown.

You say you will live through Kevin and I will make sure you will be the only one that live through Kevin. He is the reason for your live and he will the reason of your happiness. He is the reason I can smile and I want let anything rip his smile.