The Spark

Will You Be Mine?

               Su Ji leaves saying nothing more. “What just happened?” I start to feel as if she’s not joking. “The plan has started” keeps ringing in my ear and I start to feel frightened. “What am I going to do?!” I start pacing back and forth. “I should…I should start with telling Shi Yoon!” I start to run but then I slow down my steps. I see Shi Yoon and Su Ji together. They’re, laughing together! Su Ji then sees me and smiles at Shi Yoon. She hands him a piece of paper and walks away. I start to shake. “What-what was that?” I fall to my knees and Shi Yoon runs to me.

                “Ji Eun! Ji Eun! What’s wrong? Are you okay?” I stare at him for a long time and he looks back at me with a worried face. “Ji Eun?” he says. I nod and he grabs my hand. I look at our hands for a second and realize he’s trying to pull me up. I get back up on my feet.

                “Thanks, Shi Yoon”

                “No prob. By the way, what was all that?”

“Oh…that? That was- I just was really-“I start to word out hurt but I catch myself “I felt really tired from running,”

                “Really? Running from where?”

                “…..I just had gym.” I lie.

                “Oh.. I see”

 

                It becomes silent and Shi Yoon start to walk out of school, saying nothing to each other. Then Shi Yoon says something. 

                “Oh right! Did you get invited by Su Ji for a little hang out at the park?”

                My head blanks out and I look at him.

                “Hmm…? Oh!” I start to fake laugh. “Ya..I did.”

                “You okay Ji Eun? You seem a bit off?”

                “Me? Nonsense! Well got to go!” I start to speed walk but Shi Yoon catches my hand.

                We stand there for a few seconds. He just looks at me and I start to blush and feel flustered. He lets go of my hand and blushes too. He scratches his head, then coughs and starts to say something but behind him Jong Hyun comes.

                “Annyeong!” ( informal  way of saying hello) he says.  Shi Yoon grits his teeth and says “Hi Jong Hyun!” I bow to him and Jong Hyun pushes Shi Yoon out of the conversation.

                “Did you get invited to the meeting?” I nod and he smiles “Well, I’m going too! See you there!” He pulls Shi Yoon with him and all I can see is Shi Yoon waving back at me. I wave back and go home.

Next Day:

                The bell rings and I sigh “Only 4 more hours till, “the plan”. I walk down to my locker and I see Su Ji walking down the hallway. I try to avoid her but, of course, she notices me. She comes up to me and acts, well, different.

                “You know the plan, right?” She says as she checks her nails.

                “Um, yes.”

                “Good!” she scoffs and says to me “I saw you looking at Shi Yoon and I” She smirks and says “Remember what I told you if you two were more than friends, right?” I nod and she smiles. “First of all” she says “Don’t keep secrets with me! And second of all don’t mess up the plan!” She turns away from me and before she leaves she says “ ‘Cause if you do, well-“ She giggles  and walks away.

________________________

“I can’t take it anymore! A promise or not I’m not going to do it!”

________________________

The Plan:

“Oh! Oh! Is that Shi Yoon?” Su Ji waves at him while Jong Hyun and I wait for him to come and sit with us. “Well, everyone is here!” Su Ji says. “I planned this little hang out because you three were my only friends since I arrived from America.” She bows to us as a ‘thank you’ but I mumble under my breath “Ya right”. Su Ji looks at me and fakes a smile, she grits her teeth and says “Jong Hyun and Ji Eun, why don’t you get something to eat by the market nearby?” Jong Hyun agrees and grabs my arm, pulling me along, leaving those two alone.

“NO! I don’t want to leave Shi Yoon alone! Not with her!” I start to boil inside, while Jong Hyun pulls me. I pull my arm out of his hands and yell “NO!” Shi Yoon and Su Ji looks at me. Su Ji glares at me and grabs Shi Yoon’s hand. “Then, Shi Yoon and I will go!”

I see them walk past me. Shi Yoon looks at me with a confused look as he passes by. I turn back to look at them and all I see is Shi Yoon and Su Ji holding hands.