Where is home?

One Shot, One Chance

The next morning, the B.A.P members found that you had left early, leaving breakfast out on the table for them.

"Where'd she go?" Zelo asked, biting his bottom lip in worry.

"What if she gets caught by the police?" Youngjae wondered aloud, pacing back and forth in a straight line.

Yongguk closed his eyes and growled in a low voice, "Youngjae, stop pacing. I'm seriously going to snap if you keep walking around like that."

Youngjae froze in place immediately and quietly sat down in a chair, not meeting Yongguk's eyes in embarrassment.

"She quit work, so she wouldn't go there...Where could she have gone?" Himchan asked, as if the answer would magically appear in his head.

*That idiot...Why would she go out there by herself if she knew it was dangerous?* Daehyun wondered, shaking his head.

-------------------------------------

You wrapped your coat more snuggly around yourself and wandered down the street, staring blankly at the sidewalk.

Images flashed in your head of the other night's events - your brother's surprised and hurt face appearing over and over in your head.

You squeezed your eyes closed and sighed, your breath making misty clouds before they disappeared into the air.

You stopped and looked up, not surprised to see that you ended up at the restaurant that you worked part time for. It was empty - the store had its "closed" sign up, but the doors were still open. Curious, you went inside.

You heard someone shifted something heavy around in the back room, and then you heard a yelp of pain as something crashed to the ground.

You dashed into the back room, expecting to see some kind of drastic injury, but all you saw was Kai, shaking out the pain in his finger with a grimace on his face.

Relieved to see him again, you came forward and couldn't hide your smile, "Kai!"

He looked up and saw your face. He immediately broke into a smile and greeted, "Hey! Why are you here?"

"I was going to ask the same exact thing. Are you okay?" you asked.

Kai glanced down at his throbbing red finger and waved it away, "Yeah, it's just a minor accident...I was trying to move these boxes of newly imported china bowls to the other side of the room to make more space in here for the part timers, but as you can see...It's not working too well." He gave you a sheepish smile.

You laughed, "I'll help if you'd like! You know, just in case you hurt yourself again."

Kai gave you a playful punch in the shoulder, "Hey, I'm pretty sure, ya know. But just for the sake of company, sure."

For the rest of the afternoon, you and Kai moved the heavy boxes and cleaned up the room, making it very clean and organized. You dusted off your hands of the dust and specs of lint that had covered your palms. Kai copied you and smiled. "Well, I guess we're done here! Thanks for the help!"

"No problem! Um...I guess I should go now - " you said, but Kai grabbed your arm and urged, "No, I need to repay you for your help here! Let's go to a café - how does hot chocolate sound?"

You almost said yes, but the danger of you being caught was too risky. Trying hard not to sound too upset, you said, "I...can't. I have to go home."

Kai made a face. "Home? I've walked you near where you live before - you live in a pretty rough neighborhood, and you wanna go home?"

"It's...difficult to explain. But I need to get home," you said, gently taking Kai's hand off your arm.

He seemed a bit disheartened, but he nodded, "Okay, then. I understand...Let's get out of the restaurant now. I promised the ajumma that I would lock up the place as soon as I cleaned up here."

You followed him out of the restaurant and he turned his back to you, busy with the lock. You turned around and your heart almost jumped out of your chest. A policeman was observing one of the MISSING posters of you, scratching his chin in thought.

You quickly turned back around and almost crashed into Kai's chest. He looked down at you, a surprised look on his face. "What? What's wrong?"

You felt like screaming, running away, dying right there on the spot, but you knew all these decisions were too risky - the policeman could come right over and ask why you were overreacting so much, and eventually see your face...

"Let's leave - now," you whispered urgently, tugging his sleeve hard.

Kai didn't ask any questions and obeyed to your command, wrapping an arm around your shoulders and leading you quickly away from that spot down the street. You walked so fast you almost zoomed ahead across the crosswalk when there was a red light.

"Bokyung-ah!" Kai shouted in warning, pulling your arm sharply, making you swing around and fall into his chest. A car honked loudly as it passed by, a close call for you and your life.

You stayed in Kai's arms, feeling so shaken and nervous, the strength in your knees giving away. Kai caught you as you sank down, and he propped you up against his warm body.

"Bokyung-ah? Are you okay? What's going on?" he asked with a worried tone.

You shook your head slowly, barely managing to say loud enough for him to hear, "Nothing. I'll be okay. Just...shaken up."

The look on his face told you that he didn't buy it, but he didn't say anything and stood there, holding you in his arms.

You finally pushed away from him and stood on your own two feet, your heart slowing down to a steady beat. You were too embarrassed and ashamed to face Kai after having that episode of panic. You turned around to leave, but Kai reached out and grabbed your wrist again, turning you around to face him. He looked very perplexed and confused.

"Bokyung. Tell me. What's bothering you? That was something that I definitely haven't seen before," Kai said, almost demanding you to spill the beans.

You were sick of telling lies and keeping secrets from everyone, but you knew you had to keep things a secret in order for you to survive. Once again, you shook your head, "It's nothing. I just had a panic attack, that's all."

He narrowed his eyes in suspicion at you. "Are you telling the truth?"

*No. If I told you the truth, you would probably pass out right here. Because you're my friend, Kai, I cannot tell you. For your sake and mine,* you thought.

You nodded, "Yes, I mean it, Kai."

He stood there with his mouth in a firm line, but he sighed and said, "Okay, I'll take it. I know there's something going on, but I won't ask anymore. If it's that secretive to you."

*Thank you, Kai,* you smiled weakly at him.

"So do you need to get to somewhere?" Kai asked.

You thought for a moment. "Actually, that hot chocolate idea sounds pretty good right now."

-------------------------------

"I'm going out," Jongup said, standing up abruptly and grabbing his coat and mask.

"Jongup, sit down. You're not going anywhere," Yongguk said, a stolid look on his face.

Jongup glared at the leader. "Hyung, if you're in charge and the oldest, don't you think you should be the one to tell everyone to look for her? Isn't she important to you?"

Yongguk glared right back up at him, but with a sort of calmness. "No. It's her decision to leave and come back. I'm not her parent, and I don't plan on being one. So stay put and keep yourself busy with something else."

Jongup scowled and sat back down, crossing his arms. Zelo suddenly perked up, looking around with wide eyes. "Wait. Where's Daehyun hyung?"

Everyone looked around the room, realizing just then that one member was missing.

Yongguk shut his eyes and rubbed his eyes in annoyance and exhaustion. "That bastard Daehyun. Always coming and going as quiet as a shadow."

--------------------------------

Daehyun pulled up his mask higher and fought against the cold winds that were pushing him back. His hands and the tip of his nose were starting to feel numb with cold. He stuck his frozen hands into his pockets and went on, looking out for any signs of you.

While Jongup and Yongguk were arguing, Daehyun just stood up and left without a word, annoyed at the unnecessary fighting and waiting. He was tired of waiting for you to come home, and he was going out to find you if you weren't going to come back.

*Where can she be?* he wondered as he tried to look into the dark restaurant that you used to work at. It was obvious that no one was inside. He had no possible idea where you could be.

He started to feel desperate and even more determined to find you.

*C'mon, Daehyun. Use your sharp theif skills to find her.* he thought to himself, setting foot down another street.

-------------------------------

"Wow, this place is really nice!" you exclaimed, staring around the medium-sized café that Kai had brought you to. It wasn't too small or too big, but it felt very warm and cozy. It had a vintage feel to it, but it emitted an aura of romance and winter - hot chocolate, snow, kisses, and peppermint swirled around your nose as you sat down at a small round table set for two.

Kai sat down across from you and smiled. "Yeah, I have a friend I know who works here, and he invites me here all the time."

You nodded, wide eyed at everything decorating the walls. Kai smiled at you.

A handsome young man around Kai's age came up to them with a wide grin on his face. "So. Dropped by again?"

Kai smirked and nodded, "Yup, but with a friend. Bokyung, this is Kyungsoo. He goes by D.O, though. D.O, this is Yoon Bokyung. She's a few years younger than us, but she's cool." Kai winked at you.

You blushed and took D.O's extended hand and shook it. "Hello, oppa. As you heard, I'm Yoon Bokyung."

D.O gave you a wide smile and laughed, "My name's D.O. Nice to meet you!"

You observed his appearance - his soft brown hair was straight and neat, his skin clear and his lips shaped like a heart. His eyes were huge, and he was relatively small for a guy, his shoulders also not as broad as Kai's. He seemed like a very sweet and quiet kind of guy.

D.O pulled up a chair and sat inbetween you two, leaning forward with his elbows on the table.

"So. What's up with you two?" he asked, raising a playful eyebrow.

"Just here for some of your classic hot chocolate. Can you whip up two cups for us?" Kai asked, grinning.

D.O nodded, standing back up again, "Sure. Coming right up!"

When he left, Kai looked at you and pointed back with his thumb, "What do you think? He's a good guy, right?"

You laughed, "Yeah, he's very nice!"

"You should see him at home - he's such a mom. Always making us food and yelling at us to clean up after ourselves and to stay out of the kitchen," Kai smirked, rolling his eyes.

"He seems the type," you agreed.

Just then, D.O came back, carrying a tray with two steaming cups of lucious hot chocolate. He set them down one in front of each person and beamed, "Enjoy! You'll love it, Bokyung. It's not made from store-bought cocoa mix. It's homemade - a recipe handed down generations to generations of the Do's."

Kai took a careful sip, nodding in total agreement, "He's right, you know. So freaking amazing this guy is with food."

D.O laughed and shook his head bashfully, "Nah, I'm okay. Not that good, but good enough to wow people."

You giggled and took a sip. It really did taste amazing. You stared at D.O with a look of amazment and wonder. "This seriously tastes amazing. Do you mind telling me the recipe?"

D.O gave you a playful glare and shook his finger at you, "No can do - sorry, Yoon Bokyung, but the secret stays within the family."

Kai chuckled, "Huh. I guess your girlfriend counts as family?"

D.O turned a darker shade of red when Kai mentioned that, and you laughed at his cute embarrassment moment.

*It's been a long time since I've connected with new people...It feels good to be out.* you thought happily, sipping your hot chocolate some more.

--------------------------------

Daehyun was ready to give up. It was getting darker, and he had been looking up and down every street in Seoul for hours, frozen to the bone.

Shivering and teeth chattering, he accidentally walked into a bad street where bars and clubs were lined up side by side. A few drunk men and women were staggering around, mumbling and laughing. Daehyun continued to walk, ignoring the people, but as he walked past a group of tough looking thugs, one of them hit against his shoulder. Daehyun kept walking, but the group stopped. The boy who had bumped into Daehyun turned around, chuckling to himself in disbelief.

"Hey! Shouldn't you kneel and apologize for bumping into me like that, bastard?" he yelled at Daehyun's back.

*Just ignore them, Daehyun. If you fight them, you'll end up killing them all.* he thought, trying to keep his calm.

Suddenly, something hard slammed against the back of his head and fell, shattering when it hit the floor. Daehyun fell to his knees, his head dizzy and feeling light. He was seeing double, the world turning dark and then light and dark again. He felt the back of his head tentatively, touching something moist and warm. He looked at his fingertips and saw dark red blood, the blood soaking his hair and going down his neck.

His blood boiling, he stood right up, trying to right himself in his dizzy state. Daehyun charged at the group of four, kicking and punching each guy. He saw red, feeling rage building up with every punch he swung. He felt a few bones snapping underneath his fists and kicks, and soon, he was standing in the middle of still bodies, blood dotting the street.

Daehyun was breathing heavily now, tired from fighting and the blood draining from his head, making him even more dizzy and unstable.

He staggered to the brick walls of a club, the heavy pounding beat pulsating with his throbbing head. Daehyun continued to walk down the street, away from the fight scene. He didn't know where he was going, and at this point, he didn't care if anyone saw him limping and bleeding.

He collapsed in a dark alleyway and out.

----------------------------------

"Thank you for the hot chocolate, D.O oppa! It was really good!" you complimented, smiling.

You and Kai had finished your drinks and were about to leave with warm chests and pleasant mindsets. D.O smiled back and nodded, "You're always welcome here. If you want to come, just nag Kai to take you here."

"Hey! I'm a busy person, you know," Kai protested.

Everyone laughed. You touched your aching cheeks and pouted, "Oh, gosh, my cheeks hurt from laughing so much."

"Am I that funny? Sorry for making you laugh that much," D.O joked.

You swatted his arm playfully, "Oh, oppa. Yes, you are funny. I'm glad I came."

"Good. Now, off you guys go! I have waiting customers inside!" D.O said, shooing you two away.

"Okay, okay, mom. See you tomorrow!" Kai said, waving. You waved at D.O, too.

There was a light bounce in your steps as you walked down the quiet street with Kai. He noticed and he smiled, "In a good mood?"

You were caught by surprise, but you nodded, looking down at your feet shyly, "Yeah. I enjoyed that."

"Good," Kai said. You felt his hand slipping into yours, surprising you. You blushed a bright red.

*His hand is so warm...* you thought, glancing down at your joined hands.

Kai casually swung your hand, looking at you with a bright smile on his face.

"It's cold, isn't it? I can't believe it's this close to winter," Kai commented.

"Yeah, winter...Almost time for Christmas," you added, feeling extremely shy all of a sudden.

Before Kai could say anything, you heard two girls passing buy buzzing about something that made you stop in your tracks.

"...Oh my gosh, I hope he's okay."

"He was just lying there with blood everywhere..."

"Omo, seriously. He was wearing a black mask over his face, so I couldn't tell..."

*Oh no. Can it be?* you wondered, your heart stopping for a moment in fear.

You let go of Kai's hand abruptly and turned to him. "Kai, I'm so sorry, but you can leave without me."

"Why? Did something happen?" Kai asked, staring at you with worry in his eyes.

You shook your head. "No...nothing. I forgot I need to get to someplace and I'm running late. I'll meet up with you again!"

Without waiting for a response, you ran down the street, all that was pleasant and warm leaving you with coldness and worry left behind.