Helping theives

One Shot, One Chance

You followed Yongguk into his secret room. You were a bit surprised at how roomy the space actually was - you had expected it to be a one person space since Yongguk was always cooped up in there.

There was a small wooden shelf on the wall next to the oil lamp that Yongguk had lit before entering, with an old withered book resting on one side while there was a small picture frame standing up against the wall for support on the other side. There were many miscellaneous things lying around the place - a few chairs, some candy wrappers littering the floor, and a discarded box of matches. Your eyes laid on a handgun that was hanging from a see through bag on the wall.

*Does that  thing have ammo in it?* you wondered, not sure if you were feeling nervous about it or not.

"Have a seat," Yongguk said, jarring you out of your thoughts.

He took a seat in a V formation, your knees barely touching his. It was still a pretty small room, so there wasn't too much space to spread out.

"So. Any questions or accusations you have for me?" Yongguk spoke.

You sighed and fidgeted with your fingers. "Um...I'm not sure...I can't exactly think straight right now..."

He leaned back into the chair and hung his head backwards, sighing. "I know you have at least something you want to ask me. So open up and let that mouth of yours talk."

You looked up at him and narrowed your eyes. "I can't believe that you're so nonchalant about this. You knew from the beginning that it was my house that was the next target, didn't you?"

Yongguk didn't speak for a while but said softly, "...Yeah. I did."

You shook your head, unable to understand his way of thinking. "Why? Why my house?"

"I actually did some research on you - to see what and where you came from. I couldn't just let you waltz into our sanctuary if you were a stranger. What if you were the daughter of a police officer? What if you were a spy sent to monitor our activities? It was too risky to just let you in without doing some research," Yongguk replied, sitting back properly in his chair. His eye bags that had formed over the past couple of days from stress and exhaustion looked even darker and heavier in the flickering light of the fire. His eyes showed no signs of happiness or content - only darkness and no emotion.

"That makes sense...But still - how could you not tell me about this beforehand? Yes, I ran away from home because my parents are idiots, but still. Helping you guys steal from my own parents are a bit - "

"Then don't help us. You won't get your hands dirty. You can just pretend that we're out on a walk or something," Yongguk interrupted, his voice straining.

You opened your mouth to say something back at him, but you stopped yourself and closed it, feeling hopeless.

*These people have taken me in when no one else could. The least I can do is to help them in what they need. But...Is this right to do this?* you asked yourself, biting your bottom lip.

Yongguk heaved a heavy sigh, his chair creaking as he pushed it backwards and rocked back and forth. "Your decision. You can come and help, or you can stay here and pretend nothing's going on. I'm asking you to trust us and for us to trust you. Your choice."

He suddenly chuckled, shaking his head. "See? Life is full of so many decisions, full of different paths and choices to make...If you make a wrong turn, who knows what will come out at the end?"

He ruffled his brown hair and rubbed his lips, feeling a bit more tired than usual. "You can go now. Think about it before dinner tonight. I want an answer by then."

You nodded. "Okay. I will."

He nodded back at you. "Good."

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Before you knew it, it was already time for the members to eat their dinner. You had made a mean lasagna with lots of cheese and tomato sauce. Zelo and Jongup rushed in, their eyes already on the food.

"Wow, Bokyung! This looks amazing!" Zelo complimented, sitting himself down at the table. Jongup nodded and his lips in anticipation.

"You kids better eat in under five minutes. We're leaving right after," Yongguk said sternly, walking into the room.

You looked up at him and met his eyes. He gave you a meaningful look and you came to him, a bit nervous.

"So. You've thought about it?" Yongguk asked, raising an eyebrow.

You nodded and said, "Yeah. I've decided to come along."

A hint of a smile played on Yongguk's lips - a sign that he was pleased. He patted your shoulder and said gruffly, "Good. Eat quickly so we can all go together. Wear something dark if you can."

You smiled and nodded as the rest of the members came to the dining table and started to dine. You had finished in second, wiping your mouth with a napkin and putting the plate and fork inside the sink. The others followed suit, cleaning themselves up. A more grim atmosphere settled down in the room, everyone silent and quick in their actions, packing equipment and pulling up their matching black masks.

"Everyone ready?" Yongguk asked in a muffled voice. Everyone nodded, including you. Yongguk had given you the same black mask to cover your nose and mouth. You had tied your hair up in a tight bun to keep it out of your face. Your heart was started to beat faster, feeling the adrenaline rush through your veins.

They all headed out, you in the middle to keep you safe.

Like delicate, fast cats, they climbed on top of the apartment buildings and jumped from rooftop to rooftop, their landings so soft that you couldn't hear a thing. The members took turns carrying you so they didn't have to wait for you. You were in Jongup's arms. He kept grunting as if you weighed ten tons. You were pretty sure they were all fake just to annoy you - Jongup was one of the most built members in B.A.P - you could feel his arm muscles through his thick sweater.

You started to recognize the neighborhood that they entered - the buildings turned into houses with lawns and driveways, the outdoor lights shining brightly. Once they reached your house, Jongup plopped you down onto your feet. You almost lost balance but Zelo caught your arm, his eyes sparkling with amusement. You blushed and glared at Jongup, who pretended not to notice.

"Okay. I know there's a secret way into the house without triggering the alarms. Where is it?" Yongguk asked you.

You waved your hand for the others to follow you. You snuck around to the side of the brick fence and came across a small playhouse door.

You suddenly remembered those countless spring days when you would go in and out of the house territory through this door to meet your friends and play with them. You were amazed that this was still here after so many years.

"This way," you whispered as you opened the door. It was small, but the bigger bodied members were able to squeezed themselves through.

The lights were all off in the house - a sign that your parents were asleep.

"Don't you have an older brother? Where is he?" Yongguk muttered near your ear.

"He's not home - he's at his college dorms," you whispered back.

You led them to the back porch where there was a ledge on the wall of the house. Above the porch was a small balcony. The glass doors on the balcony led to your room, where you knew would be a good place to start.

You showed them the example of putting a foot on the ledge and pulling yourself up to the balcony.

Not to your surprise, the members came up with ease, their strong bodies made for things like these.

You opened the doors and let yourself into your dark room. In the moonlight streaming in, you could see that your room was clean and not the way you had left it. Someone had cleared your unnecessary things away but left most of it all where they belonged.

"Where's the vault?" Youngjae asked, pulling down his mask briefly.

"It's in my dad's office downstairs. It's not too far from my room, but we must be quiet. My parents are heavy sleepers, but they might wake up and here things happening downstairs," you whispered, also pulling down your mask.

B.A.P nodded and followed you quietly out of your room. Your parent's room was down the hall, the door closed. After checking that the coast was clear, you scurried down the other end of the hallway towards the long flight of stairs. You ran through the kitchen and the next hallway through the dark, the only light from the moon lighting your way.

You finally found yourself in front of the door to your dad's office. There was a lock on the door, but you knew where the key to it was hidden. You went over to the rag doll that was perched on the rim of the flower pot next to the door and reached into it's front chest pocket. You found the key and pushed it into the key hole. It clicked and unlocked, the door open.

You peeped your head inside the room. It was pitch black in there. You d around the wall for the light switch and flicked them on, the study bathed in a warm golden glow. The cases of books lined one wall while the fireplace was on the other side. A thick rug was laid in the middle with a rocking chair and a large couch took up the space next to the cold and empty fireplace. Your dad's desk was littered with papers and files, his computer off and the lamp desk also off.

There was a huge picture frame behind his desk of a family photo that was taken when you were around ten years old. You stared at the picture and shuddered. *That's such a long time ago...*

You pushed a small button on a small round desk next to the door, disabling all the alarms and triggers in the room.

You heard Yongguk whistle lowly. "I expected high security in this place."

"The vault's behind the book shelf," you pointed.

You went over to it and found the fake book that was in the midst of all the other books. You pulled it out a little, and the shelf instantly responded - a whirring sound filled your ears as it moved downward, revealing the metal square door of the vault.

You knew all the passcodes and IDs that needed to be put in. You put your eyes in front of the scanner and let the green light scan your eyes. You pressed your thumb onto another scanner to identify who you were. Your dad had saved your thumbprint onto the system so you had access to it, and the door clicked. You punched in some numbers and typed in a few passcodes. The door clicked. You pulled it open and revealed the ancient sword from years and years ago, set carefully on a stand.

"Jackpot," Yongguk whispered, carefully reaching in and taking out the sword.

"We should go now. I have a bad feeling," Daehyun warned, turning to go.

Suddenly, you heard a thud from above. The room above the study was your brother's room.

*But...that's impossible! He shouldn't be home at this time!* you thought in panic, unsure of what to do.

"Get out. Go, go! Bokyung, close the vault and turn the security system back on!" Yongguk said urgently.

You nodded and quickly set everything back up the way it was, running out of the room and turning off the lights.

"This way!" you hissed to them as you ran to where the back door was.

You suddenly heard a pair of feet running down the stairs, coming closer to where you and B.A.P were.

"!" Jongup hissed, running faster.

"Hey! What the heck? Thieves! Robbers! Stop right there!" a guy's angry voice called.

Your sides were hurting like crazy, out of breath and sweat glistening on your forehead. You kept running for your life, though, keeping in mind that if you were caught now, you could never escape your house ever again.

You threw open the back door and tumbled out, tripping and falling to the floor. The others jumped over you, barely missing you, and stumbled ahead.

"Bokyung! Get up! Hurry! He's - " Zelo warned, but it was too late. Your brother reached where you had fallen. He grabbed your shoulder and twisted you around, getting a good look at your face. Woohyun said angrily, "Who the heck are you?"

He then pulled down your mask, revealing your face. At the same time, your hair tie had snapped, your hair tumbling down your back.

Woohyun's eyes widened. "How...Bokyung?"

"No time for sibling reunions," Daehyun cut in. Woohyun looked up, only to be kicked in the chest and sent flying backwards. His back hit the wall inside the house. You heard him groan in pain.

"How could you do that! Daehyun - " you shouted in shock. Daehyun just grabbed your arm and pulled you up on your feet. He swept you up into his arms and said coldly, "Unless you wanna stay here, be my guest. But for now, we're bolting."

You caught the sight of Yongguk spraying a strange symbol onto the cement ground - it was a black and white rabbit thing. It gave off a creepy and mysterious aura, but you were too concerned over your groaning brother than your curiosity about the symbol.

Daehyun dashed away with the other members, zooming down the street, leaving your brother behind.

"Oppa! I'm so sorry!" you cried out, tears welling in your eyes.

You had never held anything against your brother, and you had such a close relationship with him. To leave him with so many  misunderstandings and confused feelings hurt your heart even more.

Daehyun listened to you sob into his chest, his own heart sinking. *Should I have not kicked him that hard? But we had to leave - it was too risky...*

He decided that it was for the best and continued to run under the moonlight as you fell asleep with dried tears on your cheeks.