Change for the better?

One Shot, One Chance

"I'm checking up on Yongmi today. Who wants to come?" Youngjae asked, looking around at s.

It was a bright and early Saturday morning, and all the members had woken up later than usual, including you. Zelo sat in a little ball on the floor of the bedroom, wrapping snuggly in a blanket and covering his head with it. His eyes were closed - a sign that he was back in dreamland.

Yongguk was in the bathroom, insisting that two people could go instead of him ("She said she's sick of seeing my face and wants to see everyone else"), and Himchan was outside the hideout doing his workouts. Daehyun was lying facedown on the mattress, unmoving. You smiled in amusement at the two sleepyheads and raised your hand. "I'll go, oppa. Let me get ready first."

Youngjae nodded and smiled, "Sure, take your time."

After you washed up and dressed appropriately for the cold weather outside, you and Youngjae headed out together and walked all the way to the bus station. His scarf was covering his nose and mouth, only showing his head, and your scarf was also covering your face, a black cap fit low over your eyes.

"Youngjae, how do you guys go out in disguise during the summer time? It's too hot for scarves then, right?" you asked out of curiousity.

"We normally wear masks or we just don't go out at all. That's a problem for the food, though. Since we empty out the cabinets in one day and we can't go out to buy more food," Youngjae laughed. "It's gotten a lot better since you came along. I was always kicked out of the hideout to go buy groceries, and I would be sweltering in the heat under the mask I had to wear."

You nodded, processing that in your head. You realized even more how hard it was for B.A.P to survive in society, not having much choice but to live a hidden lifestyle that they never really asked for. And they could never turn to another path in their lives ever.

The two of you reached the hospital, the cold wind blowing harshly against your face. Your nose felt numb and your cheeks tingled with cold. You tugged on Youngjae's sleeve and urged, "Let's go inside, I'm freezing to death."

You and Youngjae went upstairs to the same room you had visited a couple of weeks before where Yongmi was in. You opened the door and peeked inside. Yongmi was awake, her eyes glued to the television screen that was playing a kid's show.

You knocked cautiously, grabbing her attention for a millisecond. She looked straight at you, realized it was only you, and quickly turned back to the TV.

You rolled your eyes and opened the door wider and walked in with Youngjae following behind.

"Yah, you don't say hi to your unnie?" you scolded, crinkling your nose.

She didn't answer, ignoring what you just said. You opened your mouth to scold her some more, but Youngjae took the opportunity to cut in. He told her, "Yongmi-ah, your oppa and unnie are here. Shouldn't you say hi?"

Yongmi turned away from the screen and looked up at him. She smiled sweetly and greeted, "Hi, Youngjae oppa. Hi, Baekyung unnie."

"It's actually Bokyung -" you said sharply, but Youngjae overlapped in a louder voice, "OKAY, good. Did you eat lunch yet?" He glanced over at you and gave you a weak smile, almost as if saying "she's just a kid, so ignore her rude attitude".

You got the message and kept your mouth shut, but continued to glare at the little girl.

She shook her head, "No, not yet. I'm hungry."

"Should we go down to the cafeteria and eat together?" Youngjae asked, bending down a little to match his eye level with hers.

Yongmi's lips curled up into a bright smile and she nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah, I wanna. The food that the nurse unnie gives me all the time tastes bad."

Youngjae called up a nurse and got all the tubes pulled out of Yongmi's arms and carried her in his arms down to the cafeteria. You followed closely behind, mindlessly letting your eyes wander around the hospital building.

In the cafeteria, Youngjae let Yongmi pick her favorite lunch set, and you bought yours and Youngjae's. You all sat down at an empty table and started to eat. The table was a bit high for Yongmi, but you found a height adjuster for little children and set her up on that, making it more comfortable for her.

She ate hungrily as if she hadn't eaten for a week, her eyes only on the food. Youngjae had a brotherly smile on his face as he watched her wolf down the food. You smiled a little at that. *I can see he really cares for her and loves her like his own sister.*

"Eat slowly, Yongmi-ah. You might choke," you advised, taking a small napkin and wiping her chin.

"Listen to unnie - what she's saying is right, you know," Youngjae said, winking at you.

Yongmi slowed down a little, letting herself swallow the food in little by little. You finished your food and sighed, feeling fat and lazy.

Youngjae also leaned back in his chair, patting his stomach. He grinned at you, "Feeling full?"

"Yup - like I ate three meals in one sitting," you replied, laughing a little.

"I'm done, too!" Yongmi announced, putting down her metal spoon and leaning back in her chair.

"You're full, right? Do you want something more to eat?" Youngjae asked.

"I want ice cream," Yongmi beamed.

"I don't think so...Shouldn't you not be eating foods like that in your condition?" you asked, your brows furrowing.

She glared at you. "No, I don't care. I want ice cream, Youngjae oppa," Yongmi whined, bouncing up and down in her seat.

"Okay, okay, calm down. I'll buy you ice cream," Youngjae said. He looked up at you and shrugged his shoulders as if to say "I can't say no to her".

You rolled your eyes and sighed, standing up from your seat. Yongmi and Youngjae followed and you all headed out of the hospital with permission from the nurse.

Thankfully, there was a small ice cream store nearby, so the walk wasn't too long. Youngjae was holding Yongmi's hand. She dragged him into the shop, a look of excitement in her eyes.

You hurried in after them, glancing around at any people who could be looking at them suspiciously. You sided up to Youngjae on the line and reached out for his mask. You tugged it up higher to cover his nose a little more. He looked at you and murmured, "Thanks."

You were the one to order the one vanilla ice cream cone for Yongmi. You weren't hungry for anything sweet and neither was Youngjae. Yongmi happily accepted the cone from your hand and started to it enthusiastically. Her eyes were shining at the cold treat.

"How do you eat something like that in the middle of winter?" Youngjae asked, making a face at her.

"It tastes good," Yongmi simply answered, not stopping inbetween .

The three of you headed back to the hospital down the street. After dropping her off in her hospital room, Youngjae gave Yongmi a final pat on the head before leaving her. "Be good now. Keep getting healthier, eat well, don't watch TV too much, be respectful to your doctors and nurses, if you're lonely then call us - "

"Oppa, you talk too much," Yongmi said honestly, making a face.

Youngjae blinked but chuckled, ruffling her head.

"Aigoo, you little...Fine, fine we'll leave now. Bye, Yongmi," Youngjae said, waving.

She smiled a little and waved her little hand. You didn't expect her to, but she made eye contact with you and waved at you, too!

Shocked, you stared at her, unbelieving this whole scene, but Youngjae took your arm and pulled you out of the room.

When he closed the door behind him, he looked at you. You were still wide eyed.

"What? Did something happen?" he asked cautiously.

You slowly turned your head to him, a smile spreading across your face.

"I can't believe it. Yongmi actually has a heart," you said.

Youngjae's brows raised in confusion. "What? What are you talking about?"

You shook your head, starting to walk down the hall, muttering to yourself, "Can we really end up being close? It was only a wave, though...What if she turns back to her old nasty self? Oh my gosh..."

Youngjae sighed and shook his head at your back, smiling to himself. *She's so silly...It's cute.*