Sirens

Kiss Me

 

Sirens.

Blurry spots of red, white and red blink in and out in the distant, a group of tall blacken figures emerge from a rectangle shaped thing with four wheels. Someone is crouching down at the car, reaching a hand towards Kevin who doesn’t move.

Words are being spoken but Kevin doesn’t hear them.

 

"Jiseop!" Kevin yelled as AJ stormed out of the bed room faster than he could keep up with. He quickly draped the thin white blanket around his body before running after AJ out the door.

"I don't want to talk about it." AJ said sternly as he whipped out his jacket from the closet rack near the front door and was in the process of putting on his shoes.

Kevin picked up the blanket fettling in front of his knees to avoid tripping on them and slowly approached AJ. "Okay good. We don't have to talk about it then. I just need you to calm down Jiseop. Please." 

The look on AJ's face was piercing as he swung his gaze onto Kevin, his eyes filled to the brim with tears. For a second he said nothing. "Just look at you," his jaw tensed, he spat out every word as if they were poison, "You're barely covered there with that thin blanket. And to think that it would be any- I'm just like him." AJ stumbled back as if he suddenly lost his balance and gripped tightly onto the arm of the couch, exhaling sharply at the realization. "I did this. This. I'm the one who created this problem. This is all my fault, everything is my fau-"

"No it's not Jiseop you know it's not." Kevin stepped closer towards AJ, his hands held slightly in front of him as if in an act of surrender and in such a way it was. He chose his words carefully. "We've been through this; it was not your fault Jiseop. You need to remember that. Just-"

"He told me, he told me this would happen and it did. I should have listened. I should have stayed in London but I didn't listen. Why hadn't I listened?" AJ pleaded, his face streaked with tears and his voice filled with fear. 

"Jiseop... please. Please listen to me. I can't help you if you're like this. Take off your shoes and come here." Kevin held his arms out. "You don't have to tell me again, I won't ask. We won't even have to talk about it."

AJ bite down on the corner of his lip and the look in his eyes showed that he truly wanted to believe it. He really wanted to believe what Kevin was telling him was true and that it will be okay but he couldn't. He wouldn't.

Kevin seemed to have known this because before AJ even took another breath, he dropped the blanket and ran towards AJ. It was as if everything slowed down. The thin white sheet seemed to have taken a millennium until it fell to the floor, the soft fabric pooling around Kevin's bare feet as it hit the ground with a gentle sound yet it was all Kevin could hear as AJ turned away from him. The light streaming from the window seemed to have shined brighter and reflected into Kevin's eyes harshly. It was as if he blinked he was afraid AJ would be gone, already out of his reach and far far away.

But he was already gone, he was still turning away from him as Kevin dropped the blanket but he was gone. Somewhere else. Somewhere where no one else was allowed to go. Somewhere where Kevin couldn’t find him.

It looks less than half a second for the blanket to drop. Less than one for AJ to turn away from Kevin. Less than two for Kevin to start running towards AJ. But it took even less for Kevin to know AJ was gone. Already out of his reach.

"Jiseop-"

"I'm sorry dongsae."

And he disappeared.

 

The loud sound of the sirens going off was still ringing inside of Kevin's ears as he felt himself being pushing through open doors. Something sharp pierced through Kevin's blood smeared risk as liquid poured into his veins. A needle.

Men were heard yelling orders, as they passed through the door more voices joined in. A warm slender hand grasped onto Kevin's, the one without the needle and squeezed. Reassurance was whispered into his ear. A light shined into his eyes. Questions thrown at him with no response coming back. A hand pressed onto his forehead, sweeping his hair away from his blankly staring eyes.

White. Tiles and tiles of white. The ceiling.

There is more yelling, more questions, more voices. He wasn't even vaguely aware of a strong compression being pressed on his chest directly above the area where the metal pole entered thoroughly.

He was being pushed, more voiced joined as one with a tumbling blur of that resembling a swarm of bees. Something warm spread up his arm where the needle was inserted. But he couldn't feel it.

The small warm hand squeezed his once more. But even that he couldn't feel. Someone was calling his name repeatedly. But he couldn't hear it.

He could only the sirens, it continued to ring in his head even though they’ve already been shut off since they’re arrived here. The sirens never stopped.

 

Kevin's hand gripped the leather seat underneath tighter as he struggled to breathe evenly. His breath coming out raspy and harsh in his own ears. He couldn't think. Not now. Not after what happened. 

Looking at AJ sitting in the driver's seat beside him his fears quickly escalated. AJ clutched the steering wheel with such brutal force his knuckles turned white, blue and red veins popped to the surface. His damp light brown hair tossed to the side, a small strain parted ways with the rest and fell above his left eye. Kevin had an urge to move the strain away but knowing that AJ would snap he resisted himself.

No one talked.

Only the rumble of the engine echoed in the car, falling into a pattern with Kevin's breaths.

No one talked.

Kevin's tried to keep his eyes on the road, afraid that AJ may miss something, a red light, a walking pedestrian, a biker. There was something he missed though, something they both missed and before Kevin could yell out a warning it was too late.

His hand automatically went to his seat belt, trying to unbuckle it, his body-

 

"I need someone to contact his family immediately!" someone shouted besides Kevin then another voice came closer. 

"Do you need more bandages? I need you to keep his wound tightly compressed until Dr.Jin gets here." a shatter of glass was heard a few feet away. ". Someone get an AED in hand, I think he may be going into cardiac arrest."

A hand grasped Kevin's shoulder, shaking him lightly. "Can you hear me, Kevin?" repetition of his name spoken repeatedly yet he couldn't hear it. Sirens. Kevin heard sirens. "If you can hear me, please please give me any sign that you can hear Me." the hand moved to his hand, cupping it in hers with a squeeze as moments passed by with no response.

People rushed by, equipments in hand, all doing a different role in order to complete one important task.

Save Kevin’s life.

"He's stopped breathing." someone notified at his other side, a clip board bumping into his stretcher.

"We need to start performing CPR right away."

"But what about his wound?" a young man questioned in alarm, his hands still pressed firmly on Kevin's chest, blood seeping beneath his hands, soiling the bandages and his gloves.  

"We'll have to take the risk," the pressure of the man's hands on Kevin's chest was replaced with smaller hands. "Get me a face shield." Deep two inches depth s were directed barely above Kevin's wounds. 

"1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5.. 6.. 7.. 8.. 9.. 10..11.. 12..

 

"Hi Hyung!" 

A light brown haired boy turned from the kitchen sink and smiled once he saw who it was. The young boy who greeted him smiled back broadly, his book bag slipping across his shoulder. 

"Hello Dongsae." to this Kevin smiled brighter. 

"I was just going to tell you that tomorrow we're going to the amus-"

"Amusement park and Kevin wants to invite you to come." another light brown haired boy emerged from the front door, closing it behind him as he walked into the kitchen. His complexion looked fairly similar to the other brown haired boy, they looked like brother.

"Hello Dongsae number two." the older at the sink greeted, rinsing the last plate before placing it on the drying rack and dried his hands with the kitchen towel, a grin on his lips.

"Ew don’t call me by your pet name for Kevin. I’d rather have you call me Babo Cheonsa." Kiseop walked up behind Kevin and picked up his book bag from his hands before it could fall, a cheeky grin on his face.

"It is not a pet name!" Kevin argued.

"Oh whatever." Kiseop stuck his tongue out at Kevin who childishly did the same. "And I was going to say tell Kevin that you couldn't come with us to the amusement park right before he ran away from me at school. But he insisted that he asked you himself."

Jiseop's smile lessened, "I would like to go but.. You know" he glance a look at Kiseop. "I can't." 

"Told you." Kiseop remarked.

"Yeah but I had to try at least. He never goes out anywhere with us so I thought it would be nice if he went with us-"

"Thank you for the thought dongsae." the older smiled and patted Kevin's head gently. If you still want to hang out with me then maybe we can go out for ice cream after dinner today. I'll go ask mom if we can-"

 

Voices. Voices were spiraling all around him. But he couldn’t hear a word they were saying.

"Dr.jinisonhiswayrightnow,weneedtomoveintoemergengysurgryrightnow.Hisbreathingisstablized."

"RoomE2042isopen."

"Kimgetmeanotherpackageofbandage.Bloodisleakingoutori-"

The voices blurred together, a huge mixing pot of sounds slurring together. Hands all over his body, one constantly squeezing his hand every now and then. His name recognized in between the flopper of speech joined together. But Kevin couldn't hear it.

He only heard sirens.

 

Too fast. Need to slow down. Slow down. Moving too fast, not enough time to stop. Too fast. Too fast. Too fast. Too fast. Too fast. TOO FAST YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN. YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN. YOU NEED TO-

Someone was screaming. He took a moment for his brain to register that it was him who was screaming. The agonizing pain of a million tears ruptured throughout his veins. His breath knocked completely out of his lungs, stolen. Everything pitched, blackness sweep through his vision, covering the brightness of the sky. Blinking. Kevin is blinking but no matter how many times he blinks there are black spots in front of him. Like an infestation of bacteria multiplying they keep coming. He keeps blinking, trying to see, needing to see. 

But the blackness in his vision is replaced with red. Everything turns red. Red from his own blood gushing from his head wound when the impact of the other car smashing into theirs sent a CD cover flying towards Kevin's eyes.

Kevin blinks, he's blinking hard but that only gets more blood into his eyes. He tries to speak but he can't breathe. He only notices this now and he starts to panic.

Blood rushes to his head and his shirt is rolled up his stomach. Peeking an eye lid open Kevin sees a street lamp upside down and then he finally realizes. The car has been flipped upside down.

"Ji....j-jiseo..seop... Jiseop.." 

It takes every ounce of strength Kevin has in order to barely raise his hand and wipe away the blood, his blood, out of his eyes. His arm feels heavy, as if it had suddenly gained a hundred pounds and was weighing down on him. He cracks his neck to the side to see AJ, unconscious. The state of him probably no better than himself.

He needs to get out.

Kevin strains to turn his head and look at the passenger door, it's locked. Praying his right hand a tight crack of the gear shift and his seat; he ignores the lack of feeling of his left hand, and reaches out to unlock the door. Something tugs in his chest and wetness splatter on his chest, rolling down his neck and pooling around the nape of his collar bone. It shined bright red. Looking down, he sees it.

A metal pipe sticking out of his chest.

He blacks out. Someone screams.

 

Everyone is quiet. The air a silent chill.

The nurse from before, the one who performed CPR on Kevin now dropped her hand from his open palm, his hand slipping off the stretcher and laying limp on the side. No one says a thing at first, paused as they all for a gruesome second stare at the cube sized monitor, a straight line passed through.

"Get the defibrillator!" 

Two large electric shock square sized shock pads came onto the scene, a male held them firmly in his hands as they charged. 

"Clear!"

The female nurse drew back from Kevin to make room for the others, her blood caked hands released the edge of the stretched she held onto before when the rhythmic sound of a heart stopped dead, replaced with a solid high pitched note.

Kevin stopped hearing sirens.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long time no see guys! I won't bother with any lame excuses as to of why I haven't been updating. Honestly it was mainly due to two reasons:

1) lazy

2) writer's block

that and I switched locations at work, for those who don't know I work at a preschool part time and they just randomly decided to ship me off to a new school! I had a lot of trouble getting used to the new setting and what not.

But I hope you are having a great today and is enjoying the spring weather, yay snow is finally melting!! I am planning to update again sometime this week so look forward to it!

 

thank you for reading and subscribe if you likey~

P.S - I completely recommend this book, More Than This by Patrick Ness. Deeply fell in love with this book and so thought you should too! Sharing the happiness people, we gotta share the happiness. *insert rainbow picture here*