A Ride Home

Strawberry Cream Kiss

 

Jin Ae sat at her desk with her brows crooked, showing that she was in a middle of a deep thought.

 

‘I’m not mistaken right? How can I hallucinate this early in the morning! No way. I am right,’ Jin Ae let out a sigh, ‘Cray! What kind of a feathery miracle made Youngmin laugh? Jo Youngmin who looked like he’s about to swallow everyone in his way was laughing!? He didn’t just smile. He laughed. Yes, laughed… I’m going crazy!’

 

Jin Ae recalled her memory of Youngmin laughing whole-heartedly. Youngmin looked so free, happy in fact. His face was far from that sinister aura he had always put on around people. 

 

‘Just what could’ve made him laugh like that?’ Jin Ae thought, ‘Just imagine if I got the chance to be the girl who’d make Youngmin laugh like that, I’d be happier than I’ve always been. But… that’s just too impossible. He is, after all, out of my reach,’

 

‘A guy like Youngmin would never want to scout someone like me. I bet he wanted to be with girls who are masters in karate or taekwondo. Or even those bike girls who liked to go on races around Seoul. This is so wrong. Falling in love with him is so wrong. But what can I do? I fell in love with him…’

 

Jin Ae blew her bangs away from her eyes and pouted, ‘The only thing that could brought us together is magic.


 

There’s a new gossip in Starship High. Kwangmin, who was pretending to be Youngmin, was the first student from 3-3 to come the earliest in the whole history of Starship, because Yumi, who went to Japan to visit her grandma, was absent for the first time ever!

 

The first lesson on the day for Kwangmin was physics. A tiny man came into the class, carrying his laptop and a stack of papers. Kwangmin took out a tiny notebook that Youngmin gave to him, and found out the teacher’s name is Mr. Im.

 

Mr. Im threw his sight towards the class and started his introduction on newton laws. He handed out several notes about gravity and explained that the laws stated the force is proportional to the product of two masses, so on so forth.

 

Kwangmin was about to take note of everything and filled his head with enthusiasm of the lesson that is being taught today and how the theory of the laws seemed to be something really interesting. But no. In the whole history of Jo Youngmin, he never once paid attention to the teachers. While trying hard not to pay any attention towards the teacher, Kwangmin took his Slam Dunk comic out. Lazily, he started to read.

 

1 minute… 5 minutes… 9 minutes…

 

‘That’s it!’ Kwangmin threw the comic and ruffled his hair. He just simply can’t try put his concentration towards the comic. All he can ever think of is Mr. Im’s notes in the white board. Kwangmin then shoved the comic in his bag.

 

‘I think sleeping is a better idea to kill time,’ he thought, placing his head on his arms, ‘please let me be sleepy oh great Mother Nature,’

 

Kwangmin twisted and turned in his tiny chair but he doesn’t feel a single tiredness. Instead, he could feel his hands cramping up from the weight of his head.

 

‘Lord! I can’t read the comic, and sleeping is much worse!’

 

In the end, Kwangmin decided to stare blankly at Mr. Im. He tried to listen to Mr. Im’s lesson a few times without caring any suspicious stares from the other students.

 

‘Youngmin could’ve done this at class right? How can Youngmin not ever stare at the teacher for an entire 3 years in this school? That’s just impossible!’


 

It was break time. Kwangmin found a hard time thinking what he should do during this 30 minutes interval. He decided to take a tour around the school.

 

‘How bout scaring the kids at school with my, I mean Youngmin’s, death glare? That’ll be fun,’ he thought, showing his mischievous sense.

 

Kwangmin strolled around the corridors until he arrived in front of the principal’s office. He saw Jin Ae coming out of the room. Kwangmin’s heart started to beat faster, and he could feel sweat coming out of his head.

 

Jin Ae’s jaw dropped. Her heartbeat was increasing too, faster than Kwangmin’s even. Jin Ae was confused, ‘should I greet first?’

 

 Kwangmin let out a sigh.

 

‘Great! It’s my first day here and I’ve been seeing her the whole day. Is this fate? Hehehe… wait, should I greet her?’

 

Kwangmin tried to keep his straight face while staring at Jin Ae who is becoming more afraid seeing that killer look in her crush’s face.

 

“A... Annyeong,” Kwangmin finally let out the 2 syllables he’d been holding under his tongue.

 

Jin Ae was about to faint. ‘He said hi to me! He said hi to meee!’

 

“Annyeong,” Jin Ae replied with an innocent smile, bowing her head a little to prevent Kwangmin seeing how foolish her face is right now.

 

Kwangmin got confused on what he should reply. He scratched the back of his head, still showing that cold face towards her.

 

Suddenly, the principal’s door burst open, revealing Mr. Jung with a stack of documents in his right hand. Kwangmin pretended not to care as if no one went out of the door. Meanwhile, Jin Ae was busy bowing and greeting the principal.

 

“Good morning to you too Jin Ae,” He said in a friendly tone, but his tone suddenly changed when he said, “How are you Youngmin?”

 

Youngmin gave him a cool look and answered, “I’m fine Mr. Han,”

 

Mr. Jung looked at him in confusion. Jin Ae crooked her eyebrows. Kwangmin didn’t get why the two people in front of him was staring at him weirdly.

 

Mr. Jung then shook his head and murmured softly to Jin Ae, “He was probably drunk,”

 

Jin Ae smiled awkwardly. After Mr. Jung left them, Jin Ae looked at Kwangmin, still in that confused look, “Did you, by any chance, forget our principal’s name?”

 

For a moment, Kwangmin felt his heart sinking down all the way to his stomach.

 

‘Oh no. Don’t tell me I called the principal with another name… Aish pabo!’ Kwangmin could feel his face heating up, and knew that once again, he showed his stupid face in front of the girl he really liked.

 

Jin Ae smiled. ‘Youngmin is so cute when he’s in that pabo state.’ She thought.

 

“Our principal’s name is Mr. Jung! Mr. Han is our vice principal,” Jin Ae said, walking away. Unknowingly, Kwangmin followed Jin Ae and walked with her side by side.

 

Kwangmin smiled sheepishly. ‘I memorized the wrong name,’ he thought. The next thing he knew, he was confused to where Jin Ae is walking. He saw a vast land of greenery and flowers, and realized it was the school’s garden.

 

On the other hand, Jin Ae was also confused why she was walking towards the garden. What made her even more confused was… why is Youngmin following her? Jin Ae was actually happy that she got the chance to walk together with her prince charming, especially when she knew a lot of people were staring at the two of them. But she can’t help it to not feel nervous around him.

 

Kwangmin stole a few glances now and then at the sweet girl beside him. The girl that made him do all this crazy things. Becoming Youngmin and do all that tacky habit of his and entering this school. Everything was done for her. For Jin Ae.

 

But when they are this close, Kwangmin could feel his heart thumping wildly and jumping around. Kwangmin went into a deep thought. ‘What should I say? It would’ve been much better if this place was a bit crowded. Should I just go pick a flower and give it to Jin Ae?’ Kwangmin shuddered. He couldn’t believe he could even think about that greasy thought. Meanwhile, Jin Ae was biting her lips.

 

‘what should I say? Aish… why isn’t he saying anything? or… could it be that he doesn’t like being here with me? or he’s just showing sympathy and not leaving me here all alone?’

 

Kwangmin looked at Jin Ae with his Youngmin stare. “Are you going home alone?”

 

Jin Ae nodded. She was about to ask why he asked such question when…

 

“Can I send you home?” Kwangmin felt his face heating up, therefore he chose to see the bonsai plants in front of him.

 

Jin Ae couldn’t control her heartbeat any longer. She can even listen to how fast it’s beating right now. And she stole a glance at Youngmin’s red face.

 

‘Kyaaaaa! Youngmin is so cute! I just knew his face could turn red despite all his anger and coldness!’

 

“Sure…” she answered, giving him a smile.

 

Kwangmin looked at Jin Ae nervously and started to smoothen his expression. And with that, Kwangmin gave her an honest smile.