If You Choose the Darkness

Fireflies: The Man From Nowhere Sequel

 

If You Choose the Darkness

 

“Ahjussi, this is Detective Lee. Detective, this is my … Ahjussi, Cha Tae-sik,” So-Mi introduced the two men. “Detective Lee is based at the Jongno district station. He is the one who introduced me to the people responsible for this.”

So-Mi was dressed simply in a knee length black dress clinched with a slim white belt by the waist.

Her hair, left as the long glorious straight mane that it was, and face with a touch of light lipstick and nothing else.

A picture of sweet perfection, in Lee’s mind.

And his eyes showed it.

Well enough for Tae-sik to notice.

“Good evening, sir,” the detective bowed in respect.

Lee was not expecting So-Mi to bring a chaperone.

But what a chaperone he was, Lee thought.

Lean in size and handsome in features; with a simmer of a certain something that Lee could not pin point.

Despite the astute detective that he was.

“Aaahh … my hero,” a voice interrupted Lee’s thoughts. “Or heroine rather. So-Mi, you have arrived.”

Senator Song, beautiful,  up and coming politician and an aggressive human rights activist, waltzed in.

So-Mi has met her twice, over coffee.

The first as an introduction by Lee and the second to discuss the exhibition.

The Senator smiled wide in greeting.

And her eyes automatically fell on Tae-sik.

“Your acquaintance, Detective Lee?”

Her wide eyed interest was met with Lee’s amused smile.

“No. So-Mi’s actually.”

“So-Mi’s?” she looked towards the girl. “And he is your….”

“Uncle,” Tae-sik said for the first time that evening.

His voice deep and strong, enough to make the sophisticated Senator smile in delight.

And So-Mi frowned for the second time that day.

Uncle? I suppose, she thought. But in this context, it sounded odd to her ears.

Or perhaps, not as appealing.

“So-Mi’s uncle, nice to meet you,” she purred, extending her hand towards him.

“Excuse me, Senator, you are needed across the room, with your guest of honour,” Song’s aide bowed towards So-Mi.

The guest of honour in the meantime discreetly planted herself between Song and her Ahjussi.

And was happy to note that the Senator’s extended ring adorned hand was left unrequited.

“Oh, thank you, Jason. Excuse me, gentlemen, I hope you don’t mind me stealing our pretty princess for a short while,” she linked her arm through So-Mi. “We’ll chat again later.”

Her parting words directed solely at Tae-sik, laying a sultry, lingering look on the Ahjussi.

 

------

 

It was only an hour later that So-Mi found her Ahjussi again.

Amber was fending on her own, mingling in the crowd with Lee and some of his acquaintances. 

So-Mi smiled as she approached him, glad that he was walking around looking at the full blown photographs.

They were all vivid depictions of the urban vices they were plague with these current times.

The pictures spoke volumes.

All brutally honest.

In black and white and sephia tones.

“What are these?”

He asked as she stood beside him.

“These are my pictures,” she answered shyly.

Hoping her Ahjussi would be as proud as her at that moment.

People were commending her work, her expose.

And they have been made to good use.

Where the perpetrators were found, caught and put to justice.

“Is this what you do when you say you have field assignments?”

“Neh.”

“They are all yours? Some of them are taken at night.”

“Neh.”

“Do the Chois know of this?”

He finally looked at her.

“Ani.”

“You show these to me but you didn't tell your parents.”

“I know they'll not approve.”

“And you think I do?”

“I thought you would understand,” her voice low and her eyes wide.

This was not how she envisioned his reaction would be.

“I do. But that doesn’t mean that I approve.”

She could feel his anger.  

“But then again, I am not one who should or should not approve of the things you do.”

“Ahjussi…”

“I'm sorry. I have to leave.”

“Ahjussi…”

Tae-sik briskly left the function room, long enough to grab his black overcoat at the concierge.

So-Mi ran after him, all the way out of the building.

“Ahjussi … I have to do this ... For Omma, my real Omma.”

So-Mi reached out to pull him by the elbow.

They stood by the side walk.

His overcoat still in his hands.

And her, just in her dress.

Yet, they were both oblivious to the cold.

Tae-sik pulled his arm from her and abruptly turned towards her.

“For your Omma? Endangering yourself is your sacrifice for your Omma. What about your current Omma. What will happen to her if anything happens to you? We sent you to them to take you away from all this.”

“It's in me, Ahjussi.”

She pleaded his understanding.

His approval.

“What's in you is of your own choice,” he said slowly, softly. “If you choose the darkness, then, you will forever remain in darkness.”

He dug his pocket for the car keys.

“Here. Please find your own way home, I'm sure you can do that.”

Tae-sik started to move from her.

But he turned again and stressed.

“Your own home.”

And this time, it was he who walked away.