08. Her Father

Love Like This
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

[July 2011]

Jagi-ssi, that’s a good start. Even though it sounded awkward, I felt somewhat happy. I knew it, right after I heard her grumbling stomach that evening earlier and sooner than I thought, she timidly tugged my sleeves from beside and said that magic word. Truthfully, I would consider myself as a simple minded person. Once you fulfilled my conditions, you’d get what you want from me and that’s it, glad that she understood.

 

 

 

‘Woohyun-ah, I know this question seems ridiculous. It’s been only a day but Jihyun’s not giving you a hard time, right?’ The strong built man asked while holding my shoulders gently. I first answered with an assuring smile. The truth was, she did give me a hard time but when I thought of it back, it’s okay. When I looked at his gentle eyes, I kept telling myself that Jihyun’s father was so worried at his daughter and I surely didn’t want to put more burdening feelings onto his back.

‘No, not at all, Abeonim. We’re still getting to know each other and all…’

‘That’s good.’ I could hear a soft sigh and soon, he let go of my shoulders. Shifting his gaze towards the small compound of the house, Jihyun’s father first cleared his throat before he started to speak again.

‘We know we’re lacking a lot… Jihyun’s just a typical girl. She came from a lacking family. I know about your family’s disapproval of this marriage and so, I hope you can protect my daughter from anything that can hurt her. She’s the only daughter that I have –‘

‘Abeonim, I’m sorry to interrupt but I assure you that I’ll take care of Jihyun. Don’t worry. My family will accept her sooner or later.’

‘Aigoo... I still don’t know what is it that you see in my daughter that you insisted on taking her to be a part of your family. Three years… don’t you feel tired?’

‘No.’

 

 

 

It’s true, three years I’d been asking Mr. Kang about his sloppy daughter. He thought it was a joke at first and laughed it off but when I came to his small ranch and kept sending food for two of horses, he started to think seriously about my proposal.

‘A couple of years more and let’s see.’ He kept saying that whenever I brought that matter up but there’s a condition that I tried to put up. Never tell Jihyun or anyone else about me or my existence, it’s a must.

But there’s this once, I told him that I’d buy him thousands of horses, cows and even sheep if he want and that’s if he allowed me to take Jihyun to be my wife but he just shook his head and answered that same old thing.

 

 

 

[January 2009]

‘Why can’t you just meet my daughter? Don’t you want to get to know her? Or maybe you two can be friends first?’

‘No! I mean, no thanks. I-I’m a shy guy. Haha…’ I stuttered badly.

‘And why is that? Jihyun can’t stop talking once she started. I’m sure you won’t feel awkward…’

I avoided his gaze and walked rapidly towards a grey horse that was eating with its friend at that wide g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter