29. Sorry

Love Like This
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

[January 2005]

‘Oppa, what do you want to be when you graduate soon?’

‘A person.’

‘Hey!’

‘I’m not joking.’

‘Okay, fine… Don’t you want to ask me too?’ The golden haired girl asked while playing with the sand beneath her feet.

 

‘What do you want to be, Kang Soyu?’ The lad beside her sighed and asked, looking at the skies.

‘Me… I don’t have a specific job I want to have. I just want to be a good wife.’

Her answer made him look to her.

 

‘Really?’

‘Yeah, just like my mother.’

 

 

[March 2012]

‘Remember that?’

‘I guess…’ Jihyun answered weakly and tried to smile.

‘To be honest, it’s not my real answer. I wanted to change it when I heard yours.’ Hyungsik chuckled by himself. Both of them were now sitting on the same sand they did years ago but the difference now was the atmosphere. It was way different from that time.

 

‘I want to be with you, that’s my only dream.’

‘Oppa…’

‘I’m not forcing you. It’s your choice but I hope –‘

 

‘Hyungsik Oppa.’ Jihyun cut his words and held his cold hand.

‘Can we. Uh.’ She stopped and took a deep breath before continuing.

 

‘Can we just forget everything and get back to where we used to? I’m Soyu, the eighteen year old nuisance and you’re nineteen year old Hyungsik Oppa, the smarty pants. Let’s just be like that for this one day, please?’ She forced a smile, tightening her hold. Jihyun didn't want to think of the answer now, she wanted to forget everything.

 

Hyungsik realized it. Her teary eyes, the way she called him so early this morning just to ask him to come to the beach and the way she talked now, there’s something wrong. All he thought first was she would finally accept him and decided to leave Nam Woohyun behind but little by little, those hopes were slowly fading.

He’s losing her.

‘Okay.’ He answered with a heavy heart.

 

For that lady, Park Hyungsik would do anything.

 

 

***

 

‘Ommonim, have you seen Jihyun?’

‘Jihyunnie? She went out early, I couldn’t ask because she seemed to be in a hurry before. Maybe she’s just taking a walk… Have breakfast first, Namu-ya.’  A sigh of relief spontaneously escaped from his lips right after he heard her answer.

As soon as he opened his eyes that morning, he immediately searched for his beloved’s figure but too bad, she wasn’t there. And the first thought that crossed his suspicious mind was Jihyun had already left the house because of what he did.

 

And that morning also, even though he wanted to go out, Woohyun couldn’t say no but to sit and have his breakfast at his mother in law’s request. However, his mind was occupied with thoughts about his wife despite hearing Jihyun’s mother’s lively chatters.

Where could she be going? With who? Park Hyungsik? Automatically, his thoughts flew towards what happened last night. Did she hate him more after what happened? But she didn’t refuse him, did she?

 

He needed to see her, to ask for her real answer.

 

 

***

 

 

The coffee shop was vacant but the sight of a young lady, playfully swinging her legs while sitting on one of the chairs inside. It was her favourite table, close to the windows and also close to the counters.

‘Ahjussi! Thanks for the chocolate.’ She cried cheerily and grinned like she always loved to do years ago.

 

‘So, where do you want to go next?’ The lad sitting in front of her asked after putting his cup onto the saucer.

They were still playing that game. That day, no words about his confession or her wedding were mentioned. They took a walk at the beach, to their old schools and now, they were at the small coffee shop, reminiscing on old memories, things that would bring fake laughs and smiles to their tired faces.

That day, it was just him and her, like it always was and like the way it should be.

 

‘Ouh, there’s somewhere.’ She quickly got up and pulled him to come with her, bringing along her old smile.

 

 

 

The sun would set soon and still, the place was quiet. Jihyun was playing with her fingers, looking down to the green grass while thinking of what to say. This was odd. And to Hyungsik, all these while, he was trying to restrain himself from asking about her true answer. That’s why he didn’t speak.

‘Remember on how I used to love coming here and bother you while you’re reading on this bench? Haha…’

‘Of course! There’s that one day when you first brought Andy here…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter