15. Qualm

Love Like This
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 [November 2011]

‘Sorry, dear. Things like this make me itchy.’ She uttered hatefully and left the kitchen. The fact that she didn’t even touch my scarf made my chest hurt all over. Was it that hideous?

I took a deep breath, reminding myself that I already prepared for rejections like this. I knew she wouldn’t accept this crap but why did I bring this here? Stupid daughter in law, as expected.

 

‘Jihyunnie? What are you doing here? Maids will take care of the food… Oh, hey, what’s in that bag?’ I flinched at the sudden deep voice and looked up. Before I could answer, he quickly snatched my bag and took out the brown scarf that I made.

‘This’s nice.’ He said, wrapping the piece of cloth around his neck.

‘It’s winter and I’m sure this thing will keep my old body warm. Can I have it?’ He asked that I didn’t know how to respond at his question. But then, he started to sigh and walked closer towards me.

‘Your mother, she’s always like that. Don’t take her words into your heart.’ His words… They suddenly reminded me of what Nam Woohyun used to say.

‘I think she was thought of her old self when she looked at you and she really hated that.’

‘Me?’

‘Yes. You know that Woohyun’s mother came from the slump before she and I got married, right? But I liked her way better when her hair’s let loose, wearing something plain and old, because those were the reasons I fell in love with her in the first place.’ He answered with another sigh. I kept quiet, wanting to hear more of his story.

‘But since she got here, she just changed and I know it’s hard for you to adapt being in places like this. So, I hope you won’t change like she did. I was so happy when Woohyun said he wanted to marry you, not some bratty girls who kept pulling out credit cards and didn’t know how to cook. Just stay who you are and I’m sure Woohyun would really want that. Okay?’ For some reason, I was touched at my father in law’s words that I was reminded of my own father. How much I missed him that I felt tears trickling down my cheeks but soon, I could feel myself being pulled into a warm hug.

Woohyun’s father was always nice to me since I became a part of his family but this was the first time he opened up to me and I loved this attention that I was getting.

 

‘Woohyun’s made the right choice. I believe in that.’

 

 

I pulled up a smile when I started at my reflection at the mirror. There, I saw me, the plain old me and thinking that Woohyun married me because of that, I felt somewhat appreciated and happy. It turned out that there were people who did like sloppy girls like I was.

But imagining my mother in law inside of me, I couldn’t help but to have goosebumps all over.

 

 

‘Jihyun?’ My eyes rolled to his reflection at mirror. He was at the door and soon, he walked steadily towards me. Seeing him, I stood up, feeling quite nervous at his presence here inside my room.

‘You’re going to bed?’

‘Yes. You?’ I asked him back but this atmosphere, it’s getting weird and awkward. Can’t he just get back to his room and sleep? Or did he come here to spend another night in my room?

‘No, I’m not sleepy yet.’ He answered but I noticed that his eyes were shaking. Was he nervous of s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter