Self Control

Wake Me Up (2)

          I didn’t know what time the school day ended at Eun Mi’s school, so it was just my good luck that I showed up right when students were pouring out of the front doors.  No one even looked at me as I entered the school and began looking for the library.  Trying to look like I knew exactly where I was going.  I strut past students like I owned the place.

          Eun Mi is a tutor.  She helps other students with English.  Where do most tutors work?  The library.

          Apparently not at this school, I thought bitterly.  When I found the library, Eun Mi was no where to be found.  Her face was burned in my memory now, so I knew who I was looking for and she was not in the library.  There goes my good luck.

          I couldn’t think of anywhere else for students to tutor.  I strolled through the halls, trying to figure it out when I came across a pair of glass doors at the end of one hallway on the first floor.  They led to an outside common area.  It was a beautiful day.  Nice weather.  A cool breeze.  Students were sitting outside on the grass and at picnic benches.  I couldn’t think of a reason why a tutoring session wouldn’t be going on outside right now.

          No one looked up from what they were doing when I walked outside, peering at each student in the common area.

          Not her.  Not her.  No.  Wrong.  Her?  No.  Not her.

          There.  I tried to keep my expression casual when my eyes finally landed on Eun Mi.  She was sitting at a bench with a boy who looked to be a couple of years younger than us.  Bingo.

          Casually stretching my arms into the air as I approached her bench, I flopped down next to the boy, across from Eun Mi.  I folded my hands politely on the table and nodded at the boy.

          “English , doesn’t it?” I asked him in Korean.  “Why would you need to be tutored in it though?  You go to an international school.  The classes are all in English.”  My eyes flickered over to Eun Mi and I smirked.  “You just wanted to spend time with a pretty noona, right?”  I was playing the odds and to be honest, I didn’t care if I was wrong or not.

          The shocked, horrified look that appeared on Eun Mi’s face when I sat down and started talking to her student was priceless.

          The boy stared at me for a second, blinking, with a blank expression before he found his voice.  “A-actually, I don’t go to this school.  I applied to start next year, but my English is not very good yet.  So, um, my mom actually is the one who got me a tutor,” he stuttered.

          I smiled at him before turning to Eun Mi. 

          “How embarrassing, the rookie idol can’t get a Korean girl, so he goes for some imported white trash.”  Her words from that day on the soccer field played in my head.  I took a deep breath to keep myself from launching over the table and pummeling her face into the grass.

          “Remember me, love?” I asked in Korean, voice laced with sugary sweet sarcasm.

          Eun Mi cleared .  “What are you doing here?” she asked in English.  Oh, so she wants to play like that, does she?

          “Don’t you speak Korean?  You spoke Korean to me before,” I reminded her, still speaking Korean.  “I’ve been in Korea long enough.  My Korean’s pretty good, isn’t it?”  I looked at the boy.  He just stared back at me, still hopelessly confused.

          She rolled her eyes.  Still in English, “Don’t you speak English, white girl?”

          “I’m too stubborn for you to play this game with, Yang Eun Mi,” I growled in Korean.

          “Is there a reason you came here?  How did you find me anyway?  Are you stalking me or something?” she asked instead in a bored tone of English.

          “Kind of like how you must want to stalk Yu Kwon?” I demanded.  “I mean, why else would you fabricate those pictures with him?”

          She smirked.  I almost hit her.  “Oh?  How’d you know it was me?”

          I slammed my palm onto the table top.  “You just told me!”  Narrowing my eyes at her, I added, “I already knew though.  I figured it out after you talked to me on the subway platform.”

          Still smirking, she said nonchalantly, “I’m surprised you could figure that out all by yourself.”

          I chose to ignore the comment.  “Block b’s management figured out you photo shopped the pictures, you know.  They’re going to release a statement explaining that some delusional fan had a mental break and created the photos for fun.”  Not exactly what they were going to say, but she didn’t need to know that.  “What’s your boyfriend going to say when he sees what you did?”

          Her smirk widened.  “Who do you think came up with the idea to do it?”

          Well, look at that.  Crazy attracts crazy.

          “Why did you do it anyway?” I wondered.

          She looked thoughtful for a second, like she was decided whether or not to tell me the truth.  Or tell me anything at all.  “You gave me a black eye, you .  And Yu Kwon is your boyfriend.  If you were something more than a nobody, I would have tried to create a scandal involving you.  No one is interested in you, but lucky for me, your boyfriend is pretty famous.  If messing with him was the closest I could get to tormenting you, I’d take it.”

          I laughed wickedly and leaned forward on the table, closer to her.  “I should give you another black eye, you stupid cow.”

          “Wait!” the boy, who – until that moment – had been watching me and Eun Mi back and forth as if he were following a tennis match, shouted.

         Eun Mi and I both broke the staring war we were locked in to look at her forgotten student.  He stood up, gathering his books and slinging his backpack onto his back.

          “Korean girl speaking English.  White girl speaking Korean.  My brain can’t follow both languages at the same time like this.  I’m getting a headache.  Plus, I don’t want to witness this crazy girl punching you in the face, Eun Mi noona.  I’m going home.  I’ll see you back here tomorrow after school.  Good luck,” he explained quickly and slightly frazzled.

          Then he sped over toward the doors that led back into the school.  We watched him bolt like a frightened deer.

          She turned back to me and opened , but I cut her off.

          “Listen, Eun Mi, your little plan failed.  I came here because I wanted to know why you tried to create a scandal for Yu Kwon and Block b.  I also wanted to tell you that if you ever even think, for a fleeting second, about pulling a stunt like that again, I’ll break every bone in your face.”

          Her smirk wavered slightly.  “Are you threatening me, you lunatic?”

          I smiled warmly and waved my hand in front of my face.  For a second, I thought of using that cliché ‘it’s not a threat, it’s a promise’ line, but decided against it.  “That wasn’t a threat.  I was just stating a fact.”  I pointed at her and spoke extra slowly.  “If you pull a stunt like that again…”  I pointed to myself.  “I will break every bone in that pretty little face of yours.  Leave Yu Kwon, Block b, me and the other Block b girls alone and I will leave you alone.  Do we have an understanding, Eun Mi?”

          “You’re one crazy white girl,” she replied.  The look in her eyes, though, told me she believed every word I said.  “How did it feel to think your boyfriend was cheating on you?  Letting some other girl feel up on him?  Did you get mad?  Did you think about it all the time?  Did it eat at you?”

          My hands clenched into fists still on the table.  “That’s it.  I’m going to pop you in the face again.”

          She had a good poker face.  But she still leaned back slightly in her seat.

          “I’ll take that as a yes,” she stated offhandedly.  “I’ll never cross your path again if you never cross mine.”

          I stood up.  “Deal,” I told her, turning and walking away.

          Feeling good about how that went down, I headed the few blocks away from the school toward the subway station that would take me home.  I had just reached the bottom of the steps of the exit that would lead me to the line I needed when I saw a familiar group of five trucking toward the exit.