Ideal Women

Wake Me Up (2)

          The male and female MCs introduced the show and the guys.  I swear the girls in the audience screamed louder than last time for Yu Kwon.  Or it could just be that their screams echoed in my head.  Whichever.  Whatever.

          I could take every single one of those girls.  I began chewing on the inside of my cheek.  Something I did when I was nervous and when I was concentrating.  My friends could totally think that I was just concentrating on understanding the Korean being spoken on TV.  Totally.  Yeah, that’s it.

          I wondered if the from the photo was in the audience.

          The MCs were talking and laughing with the guys.  They were so charming.  I wondered if Yu Kwon was charming like that when he was with that new girl.  The guys answered the MCs questions easily.  About their music.  About their schedules.  Likes.  Dislikes.  Rough times before their debut.  Blah, blah, blah.  Abruptly, the female MC’s eyes lit up.

          “Let’s get a bit personal now, shall we?” she asked excitedly.

         “Ah, yes!” agreed the male MC.  “Block b, you are young and very handsome.  You like girls.  What is your ideal girl?”

          “Oh!  Me first!” P.O exclaimed, raising his arm and waving his hand.

          Everyone laughed.  Even us.  “Maknae, yes, please tell us your ideal woman,” the male MC said.

          “I like girls who know how to be cute,” P.O began thoughtfully as he sat back in his seat.  The guys snickered.  “I want her to be supportive and caring.  I like girls who can speak well, too.”

          “But most importantly, P.O likes cute girls,” Tae Il added.  More laughing.

         “Right.  Cute is important,” P.O laughed.  Ah, Ji Hoon.  As soon as the words left his mouth, every girl within the sound of this interview now believes she is cute and can be his ideal woman.

          “Excellent.  Next?  Leader Zico?” the female MC stated, gesturing to Ji Ho.

          Ji Ho, I mean Zico, smiled bashfully.  “I like girls that read a lot.  That means she can hold a conversation.  I want to be able to spend time, cuddling with her and reading together.”  He paused so the girls in the audience could finish screaming insanely. 

          I’m sure every girl in that audience and in all of Korea suddenly became an avid reader.

          “I like cute girls, too, but I don’t like a girl who is too girlie.  I hope she can play sports or have fun without worrying about messing up her make up or something,” Zico admitted.  “I like it when girls dress down, too, you know?  In jeans and a tee shirt or sneakers and sweat pants.  Even boys’ sweatshirts.”  The audience, the other members, and the MCs all cracked up.

          “Zico, you like a girl who wears boys’ clothes?” the male MC questioned.

          “Well, not only boys’ clothes of course.  I just mean, I like a girl who can dress comfortably.  A girl who wouldn’t mind wearing one of my sweatshirts sometimes, I mean,” Zico clarified.

          Maddie, Amelia, and I turned to Jordan.

          “Yeah,” she sighed with mock arrogance.  She smoothed her hands down the front of her sweatshirt.  “This is his hoodie.”

          A second of silence later, we collapsed into hysterics.  By the time we were able to contain ourselves, Tae Il and Min Hyuck had finished explaining that their ideal girls would need to be able to sing so that they could do duets and go to no-rae-bang together.

          “Yu Kwon, what about your ideal girl?” the male MC asked.

          Yu Kwon paused for a second to smile, adorably, at the camera.  “Hm,” he began thoughtfully.  “Like Zico, I like a girl who isn’t too girlie.  A little tough.  Knows how to take care of herself.  But also, I like a sweet girl and because of our hectic lives and busy schedules, I need my girl to be understanding and patient.  I hope she will love me and support me even when things get crazy.”

          Oh, Yu Kwon.

          “Shut up,” I muttered, not taking my eyes off the screen, but still seeing my friends eye me accusingly.  They snickered and looked back to the TV.

          “That’s very sweet,” the female MC sighed.  “Sounds like you have a girlfriend?”  The guys all laughed comfortably.

          “No, no girlfriend for me,” Yu Kwon answered with a playful pout.

          Those girls in the audience damn near broke a sound barrier.

          “No, no, none of us have girlfriends,” Zico stated, believably, once the screaming and laughter died down.  The six other guys nodded and murmured their agreements.

          The four of us were silent for a moment while we let the words sunk in.

          “Ok, I know they told us they were told they should say that and we’re supposed to be their secrets and all that, but raise your hand if you’re going to make your respective guy pay for that comment,” Maddie inquired, raising her hand into the air.

          “He’s not getting this sweatshirt back, I’ll tell you that,” Jordan put in as she raised her hand.

          Amelia raised her hand slightly.  “There’s still hope for Jae Hyo.  I want to hear his answer first,” she giggled.

          “Oh, Yu Kwon’s going to pay alright,” I stated, raising my hand.

          We laughed, but I wasn’t kidding.  I knew I was probably being unreasonable and the exact opposite of what he was talking about in his ‘ideal girl’ speech, but I couldn’t help it.

          “Before we move on to our last two members, Yu Kwon, can we ask you about the photo that has made such a commotion on the internet recently?”  Playful curiosity washed over the female MC’s face when she said that.

          Yu Kwon chuckled.  “Ah yes, that photo.  That girl is not my girlfriend,” he stated immediately.  “She was just a friend from a long time ago.”

          “Sometimes fans get a little carried away,” Zico added with a tight smile.  “If they get a hold of a photo of one of us, they will post it all over and start gossiping before they know the whole story.”

          “Oh, yes,” the male MC agreed.  Then he looked to the audience.  “Block b fans, please be nice to your idols.  Don’t make them sad by telling stories.”  He looked to the members who all gave cute little boy smiles.

          The audience laughed and agreed.

          “You think they finally figured out the story behind the photo?” Amelia asked.  I shrugged.

          “Yu Kwon will tell me when they figure it out,” I answered.

          At least he said he would.

          Suddenly, Jae Hyo’s voice filled the room.

          “My ideal girl is a girlie girl,” he said automatically.  He shot a look at his fellow members.  They laughed.  “I like a girl who is quiet and polite.  She needs to speak well.  I’d like for her to want me to do things for her.  I want to take care of my girlfriend and, in return, I want her to be supportive of me.  Cheer me on.  Make me smile when I’m stressed out or upset.”

          “Wow, Jae Hyo, 10 out of 10 on that answer,” I said, somewhat dreamily.  Reluctantly, but dreamily nonetheless.

          “Oh, my God.  For a second, Jae Hyo became my favorite member,” Jordan sighed.  “And Zico is definitely not getting his hoodie back now.”

          “Kyung better have a good answer prepared to come after that one,” Maddie grumbled as she sat, impatiently tapping her foot.

          “And last, but no least, Kyung?”

          Kyung grinned at the camera.  “I like girls,” he said simply.  More screaming fan girls in the audience.  “As long as she loves me and cares for me, only has eyes for me, I will do everything to make sure she is happy being with me,” he finished.

          We looked to Maddie.

          “Yeah, that was a good answer,” she giggled.

          The guys did well, I thought, but even long after the interview was over and we all left Jordan’s place to go back to our own homes, Yu Kwon’s words rang in my head.  I thought he didn’t know who the girl was.  She’s a friend now?  How does he know?  Was that just a story to get the media off his back?

          That night, I lay in bed, drowning in thoughts.  Until I couldn’t handle it anymore.  Around one in the morning, I grabbed my hoodie and slipped out of the apartment.  Screw waiting for him to come to me until next weekend.

          He better be in his dorm at this hour.  Alone.