What's in Your Head

Wake Me Up (2)

          When I arrived at the building, I kept hearing that girl’s voice in my head even though there was practically no one on the street so late at night.

          “Once Block b gets more famous, he’ll be able to find someone better anyway.”

          I wasn’t really thinking as I crept around the back of the building, but when I saw the door I’d snuck through with the girls the last time I was here was shut, I almost cried.

          “What are the chances…” I mumbled as I reached for the door.  It swung open easily.  I grinned and slipped in.  “Ooh, someone is getting fired for that one.”  I hurried up the stairs.  Ah, crap.  By the third floor, my legs started cramping up.  Fifth floor elevator.  I growled to myself as I fell through the stairwell doorway.  Must. Run. Down. Hall.

          I had just stumbled past an open doorway on my way trucking down the hallway to the elevators when I heard familiar voices.  I back tracked and stood in the doorway.

          It was a practice room.  And seven guys were sitting on the floor in a circle.  I saw Yu Kwon’s back to me before I locked eyes with Ji Hoon.

          “Beki!” he exclaimed.

          Yu Kwon’s spine stiffened.  “I’m sure there’s a good reason why you’re just blurting out my girlfriend’s name,” he said, voice laced with shock.

          Ji Hoon rolled his eyes and looked at Yu Kwon somewhat sarcastically.  He pointed at me.  “Beki,” he repeated.

          Yu Kwon spun around on the floor.  A huge smile broke out on his face when he saw me.  “Oh!  Beki!”  He scrambled to his feet and ran over to me.  Once he reached me in the doorway, he wrapped his arms around me and spun me one time.  As soon as my feet were planted back on the floor, he planted his lips on mine in a kiss so sweet, I almost forgot what I came here for.

          He sighed contently against my neck as he pulled me close for a hug.  “I didn’t realize how long it’s been since I’d seen you until I saw you,” he chuckled lightly in my ear.  “I missed you.  It hasn’t even been that long.” 

          I heard what he said, but in my head I heard, “I’ll even feel differently maybe.”

          I squeezed my eyes shut and rested my forehead against the side of his neck.  “I missed you…”

          “Get a room, geez,” a voice groaned.  I lifted my head and Yu Kwon’s arms melted away from me.  The guys had all gathered around us.

          “Don’t hate, Tae Il,” Yu Kwon scoffed.  The rest of us laughed.

          “Did you run here?” Min Hyuck asked, nodding at me and trying not to laugh.  I looked down at myself.  I was looking a little disheveled.  I shrugged.

          “Just up five floors of stairs,” I answered.

          “Oh, man,” Kyung sighed and pointed at me.  “Bra strap.  I can see your bra strap!”  I laughed even though I felt a blush spread across my cheeks.  I adjusted the neckline of my tee shirt.  I was in my pajamas, I remembered just then.  The shirt I usually slept in was an old tee shirt from when my parents went on vacation in Italy way back when they first got married that I stole from my mom.  It was so old and stretched out, sometimes it was off-the-shoulder when I wore it. 

          A sudden smirk appeared on Kyung’s face.  “So, let’s see…” he hummed and pointed to Ji Ho.  I’ve seen your girlfriend’s underwear and now I’ve seen your girlfriend’s bra,” he concluded, teasingly pointing at Yu Kwon.

          “So can I see Maddie’s?” Ji Ho mocked.

          “I’m so telling Maddie,” Jae Hyo threatened with a laugh.  “And Jordan.”

          Kyung pouted at hearing his girlfriend’s name.  Ji Ho continued to laugh.

          “He’s just upset because Maddie told him she’s not kissing him for the next five times they meet because he said he doesn’t have a girlfriend on TV,” Ji Ho explained.

          “Yeah, she wasn’t happy about that.”  I eyed Yu Kwon.  “None of us were.”  He planted a peck on my cheek.

          “But we told you girls that we had to say that,” Kyung whined.

          “She knows.  We all know,” I replied with a shrug.  “Doesn’t mean we like it.”  Kyung sighed again.  “Maybe you guys should go to their rooms.  Sneak in tonight.  I’m sure they’d find it romantic that you guys are thinking of them after that interview,” I suggested still eyeing Yu Kwon.

          The guys seemed to like that idea.

          “Get out,” Yu Kwon said, playfully scraping with Kyung.  “Get out now.  All of you.”

          The guys started play fighting until finally they agreed on leaving us alone in the practice room.  The ones with girlfriends began planning an escape route and the ones without challenged each other to a video game fight back up in the dorm.

          The guys said goodbye to me and a moment later, it was just me and Yu Kwon.  Me and Yu Kwon kissing.  Me pressed up against the wall of the practice room.  Yu Kwon’s hands slipping under the front of my shirt.  His lips making their way down my neck.

          “Yu Kwon, I kind of wanted to talk to you,” I forced myself to say.

          He pulled back and smiled at me.

          Never mind, let’s just do it.  Forget talking.  No, bad Beki hormones.

          “Ok,” he said, draping his arms loosely around my waist.  “Let’s talk.”

          Talk about what?  Oh, wait.  Focus.

          I forced myself to look him in the eyes.  In those adorable brown eyes that I loved so much.  Funny how I had brown eyes and I hated them, but he had brown eyes and suddenly brown was the iest color for eyes.

          “The girl in the photo was a friend of yours?” I asked.

          He laughed lightly.  “No, that was our manager’s idea.  He said that was the best way to defuse the situation,” he explained.

          “So then who’s the girl?  Hasn’t he figured it out yet?  How do you not remember taking a photo with a girl like that?” I pressed.

          “Once Block b gets more famous, he’ll be able to find someone better anyway.”

          Yu Kwon’s face grew serious.  “Come on, Beki.  It’s just a photo.  A weird photo, but just a photo nonetheless.  Why does it bother you so much?”

          “I might start acting differently.” 

          I sighed, my eyes searching his.  “Why doesn’t it bother you at all?”

          “It’s just some stupid photo that some fan I don’t know posted,” he shrugged.  “It doesn’t mean anything.”  He was so nonchalant.  How could he be so nonchalant when this was eating at me?

          “I’ll even feel differently maybe.”

          I slipped out of his arms and shot my fingers through my hair, pulling it back.  Maybe I was overreacting.  Didn’t feel that way though.  “Don’t you see how this could get to me?  Ok, fine.  You don’t know where the photo came from and you really don’t know the girl.  But she’s touching you.  Her hands are all over your chest.  You don’t see how that could bother me?”

          He shrugged and tried to force a smile.  “It shouldn’t bother you when, at the end of the day, I’m yours.  You’re the one in my head.  You don’t have to be jealous.  That photo.  It’s nothing.  Less than nothing.  Just because some girl snapped an awkward photo of me…” his voice trailed off.  He sounded confused.  He really had no idea what to make of that picture.

          “I’m not jealous.  I’m pissed.”

          “But why?” he pressed.  He grabbed my hands in his.  “I’m yours.  Just yours.  What’s there to be mad about?”

          “I want to know who the chick in the photo is.”  It took all I had to pull my hands out of his.

          “Your guess is as good as mine.”

          “Not good enough.  You must know her.”

          “Once Block b gets more famous, he’ll be able to find someone better anyway.”

          “I don’t, baby, I swear!  It’s so weird, I know, but it’s the honest truth,” he insisted.  “Our manager said it will blow over, so we can just forget about it.”

          Forget about it?  How can I forget about this?  Some chick is out there feeling up on my boyfriend.  Telling her friends what he feels like.  Psht.  I could take her.  I’d like to take her.  I’d probably feel better if I got to knock her out.

          “He isn’t worried that this could become some huge scandal?”

          “Well, sure, he’s worried, or at least he was worried.  But he says it’s not a big deal.  That’s why we handled it the way we did during the interview,” he explained.  “He’s dealt with stuff like this before with other bands, I suppose.”

          I chewed the inside of my cheek.

          "What's wrong now?" he asked.

          I narrowed my eyes at him.  "How do you not know what's wrong?"

          He sighed heavily and said, "Baby, I told you they warned us stuff like this was going to happen once we debuted."

          "No, don't even," I warned him coldly.  "You said I'd have to deal with crazy girls throwing themselves at you.  Not this.  This is different."

          "I don't know what this is, but I know it's not real."  He had such a baby face.  It melted my heart to look at him like this.  I shook my head.

          "Explain it then," I challenged him.  He shrugged helplessly.

          "I have no idea how to explain it," he sighed, confused.  "Does it even really matter?  I mean, you know I love you.  No one else.  Who cares about this stuff?  I told you.  Manager Cho said he would have it taken care of."  He reached out for me, but I pulled my hand away and stepped back.  His smile looked an equal mix of tired and disbelieving.  "Beki...?"

          That one fan's words played in my head again.  I clutched at the sides of my head, trying to squeeze her voice out of my brain.

          "I should go," I finally told him.

          "No, you don't have to!  Please?  Please stay with me."  I couldn't resist his face or his pained voice.

          I ground my teeth together.  "Don't touch me.  Someone might see.  Isn't one scandal enough for you?"

          "Oh, come on, don't-"

          "I won't," I interrupted, turning on my heel and bolting.  I ran from the practice room, back towards the stairs.

          Yu Kwon caught me before I could reach the door.  He couldn’t slow down enough and he ended up crashing into me, wrapping his arms around me and crushing me against the wall near the doorframe.

          “Beki, don’t run like that.  There’s something else going on in your head, isn’t there?  I swear to you, I don’t know what’s going on with this photo.  I don’t know the story to explain it, but it doesn’t bother me enough because I know it’s not real.  My feelings for you are real.  My heart belongs to you.  You must know that.  You have to believe me.  You know I wouldn’t lie to you.”

          I rested my cheek against the cool painted brick of the wall.

          “Tell me what’s really bothering you.  Let it out. I know I can make it better,” he pleaded, tightening his grip on me and nuzzling his face against my hair.  “Beki, please tell me what’s going on in your head,” he added in a whisper.