Doojoon's Confrontation

The Way She Shines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Up on the rooftop, Hyunjoo was looking down at the scenery. She liked looking down from on top of the roof. Although the scene wasn't much, it calmed her to see such carefree-living people, walking around the streets, minding their own business.

She heard the door open and footsteps walking towards her. Without looking to see who he was, she asked, "Why are you here?" He didn't reply so she repeated her question, now turning around.

Doojoon jumped. "How did you know it was me?" 

"I didn't," she replied, "but it definitely wasn't Ilhoon. He would have been hopping on his crutches. He wouldn't be walking properly on his two feet."

"Smart," Doojoon smirked. "I came here to tell you, Ilhoon won't be able to meet you until his ankle has healed."

She turned back to the fence. "I'd be more surprised if he was able to come up here."

"So... you aren't mad?" Doojoon asked. 

"Why would I?" she questioned back. "He's injured; he can't even walk up and down the stairs, not to mention he can't even walk across the hallway." He was going to say something but decided not to. He knew that she was going to reply with some snarky comment. He didn't say anything and neither did she. The only sounds were the birds, busy streets and students playing outside, the field below them.

"It... wasn't pity," Doojoon said, breaking the calm silence. "I was being friendly. I know you hate pity the most."

"Because I told you," she rolled her eyes. 

"I knew before you even told me," he said. "I had a friend like you before. She refused to receive pity and refused to make any friends. That's why I invited you to our table. I thought you needed a friend."

"I don't need friends," she told him. "Especially not someone like you." That hurt him a bit. 

"Then what about Ilhoon?” he asked. “He told me you guys were friends. That shocked me a bit because I knew you were like this. I knew you were someone who didn't need anyone but yourself."

"Don't talk about me like you know me. You don't know anything," she hissed.

"Fine," he said, raising his voice," fine, I don't know anything about you. I know nothing about you but I know girls with attitudes like yours. You think you're all high and mighty when you act cool and block everything around you! You think that if you ignore everything and keep on a straight face, you can escape reality! You think that pity is the worst feeling in the world because it makes you feel weak. You think that you can't make friends because your life is going to end anyways so why make –” A loud slap echoed the empty roof. A big red mark formed on his left cheek. He touched his stinging skin and turned his head to face her.

"You said you had a friend like me? You said that you knew girls with attitudes like mines?" She scoffed. "Let me ask you a question. Do you know me? You don't know a crap about my life." She crossed her arms again and let out a loud a sarcastic laugh. "'High and mighty'? You think I want to act 'high and mighty'? Okay sure, I ignore and block out the world to escape reality. That's because reality . My reality . Pity? Weak? I'd never felt weak in front of you or any one else. I hate pity because people pretend to care. You brought me to your stupid ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter