Figuring Her Out

The Way She Shines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, Hyunjoo woke up, feeling someone's eyes on her. When she opened her eyes, the lights on the ceiling blinded her so she her side to see Doojoon sitting on his mat, just  staring at her.

"Morning Hyunjoo," he greeted. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. Doojoon smiled at how cute she looked when rubbing her eyes. “You say I'm the child? You're the one who looks like a kid,” he thought to himself.

"Did you enjoy staring at me?" she asked. "Huh?" "I could feel your eyes on me when I was sleeping. My day to sleep in and you wake me up at... 8 in the morning." She looked at the clock.

He shrugged. "Sorry, I just thought you looked..." “Innocent, and harmless when you are sleeping.” He didn't manage to say out loud.

"I look harmless?" she guessed. His eyes rounded a bit and his lips parted and she scoffed at his reaction. “Although I don’t have a permanent place to call home, I still do watch TV, you know.” She stood up and picked up her mat and pillow.

"Where are you going?" Doojoon asked.

"Wash up."

"Then, I'll meet you outside okay? Don't run off."

"There’s no where to run to," she mumbled, walking away. Once Hyunjoo freshened up, she walked out to see Doojoon waiting for her. He walked towards her and showed her his hand. She looked at it. "Bag," he said. Hyunjoo looked at her bag before giving it to him. They both walked to his house in silence. She had nothing to say to him, nor did he have anything to say to her. He thought apologizing for the other night would make it more awkward. They arrived at Doojoon's house, still covered with more leaves. "Today is the workers’ day off," Doojoon explained, opening the door.

They went in and took off their shoes, slipping their feet into slippers. "Take out the containers," he told Hyunjoo. "We’ll have it for breakfast. It wasn’t regridgerated so it will go bad before we have it for lunch." He gave her the bag to take it out. They walked to the kitchen and Doojoon warmed up the food.

Hyunjoo sat down on the table, waiting for the food. She didn’t really eat a full meal last night so she was feeling pretty hungry. Doojoon came back with two dishes in his hands. He placed his in front of Hyunjoo and sat down across from her. "Dig in!" he said and started to cut his food.

"Where are my utensils?" she asked. He stopped and looked at her. "You don't have the utensils you took from yesterday? Use that. I'm not as rich as you think."

"Yah!" she growled. Doojoon laughed, "I'm joking. Here." He placed her utensils on her plate. "You still have to give me back my utensils though," he said. She nodded and grumbled, “Fine.”

When they were finished, they went up to Doojoon's room to look through his employee list. In the end, they found out that two of his female workers and one male worker had no family, no debts or money problems. They graduated college but didn't or couldn't find a job so they ended up working for Doojoon. He called them and fired the three. Doojoon kept the other four since one of them seemed to have trouble at home and the other three were senior citizens who couldn't find a job anywhere else.

"Good job." Hyunjoo patted him on the back. "You did well."

"Of course!" he praised himself. "I'm Yoon Doojoon after all."

Hyunjoo scoffed and looked at the clock. It was already close to 1. "I'm hungry," she said.

Doojoon looked at the clock. "Oh! It's already past 12? Let's go eat ddukbokki," he offered.

"Ddukbokki?" he nodded. "I know the best ddukbokki in town. I usually go there on Sundays when the workers have their day off."

She scoffed, "Not only greedy, but lazy too?"

"Yah, don't make fun of me. I'll call the guys, too." He called his friends to meet him at the small restaurant. When they all agreed, Doojoon grabbed his jacket and headed downstairs to see Hyunjoo waiting for him. "Done?" she asked. He nodded, "Let’s go" Hyunjoo stood up from the couch and opened the door but Doojoon stopped her.

"Where’s your jacket? It's cold outside." He scanned her clothes, noticing she was only a pair of jeans, and a hoodie that didn’t look at the least warm. He thought she would have changed into something a bit warmer, compared to the clothes she had on that morning.

"What’s wrong with this?"

"Didn’t you notice the weather today? It's cold outside, and you expect yourself to go out like this?" He clicked his tongue. "This won't do. Wait here."

"Wait, I..." she didn't get to finish her sentence before he ran up the stairs. He looked through his closet to find the smallest jacket he had. "Why did I have to give my clothes away?" he complained to himself.  Finally, he found a jacket small enough for Hyunjoo and jogged downstairs. Hyunjoo stood back up from the couch. "Here, I have a small jacket for you." He held up the light brown jacket. "It’s the smallest I could find in my closet."

She looked at the jacket. "I alr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter