Opening Up

The Way She Shines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ilhoon came out of the shower drying his hair. Hyunjoo was on the couch, flipping through channels on the TV. "Done eating?" he asked, passing the living to get to the kitchen. "Yeah." Ilhoon opened the fridge and started to put the things he bought back in there. He took out two banana milks and a bun. "Can I have a bun?" he asked.

"Yeah," she said again. He made sure not to grab the red bean one. He walked to the living room and sat on the couch beside her. He offered her the milk. She grabbed it. "Banana milk...?"

"Hey don't hate it until you try it," he said, taking a bite.

She shook the bottle before opening it. She smelled it before taking one gulp of the milk. "How is it?" Ilhoon asked.

She shrugged, "It tastes like banana."

"That’s the whole point," he laughed. She shot him a glare and he shut up.

She continued to flip through channels while Ilhoon munched on his late night snack. "There’s nothing to watch," she said.

"Because this is the time people head to bed." Ilhoon said in a sarcastic tone.

She shot another glare at him. "Do you want me to glare a hole in your face?"

He immediately covered it. "Please, not the face. It's the only attractive part of my body." She scoffed and turned back to the TV. He peeked through his fingers and chuckled to himself.

"Did you tell your friends?" she asked him.

"Nope." He opened his banana milk bottle and the liquid that dripped off his fingers. "I told them I wouldn’t say anything until you tell me more about yourself." She nodded. Silence lingered between them before Hyunjoo said, "I can be your tai kwon do teacher."

Ilhoon suddenly choked on his milk, spitting the liquid on the floor. "Hey!" she ran to the kitchen, careful not to step on the puddle to get the tissue box. She ripped a couple tissues, threw it on the ground and gave him the tissue box. After he calmed down he said, "Who says that out of nowhere?" he squatted down to clean up the spilled milk.

"I was trying to tell you more about me!" she yelled. "But then you had to choke on your milk!"

"You could've started it with, 'hey do you know I'm a tai kwon do teacher?' Something like that!"

"How was I supposed to know how to say it? I've never told anyone before. Heck, I don't even know how to strike a conversation."

"How do you start it with ahjumma? Or Mr. Bae?"

"Ahjumma usually starts it off and for teach, I don't make conversations with him. It's more like annoying the hell out of him."

"Really?" he laughed. He walked to the kitchen to throw out the garbage.

"Don’t laugh! I was trying to make a conversation!"

He came back and laughed again. "Okay, fine. So, tell me about your tai kwon do adventures?"

She crossed her arms. "No thanks. You ruined my mood, I'm not saying anything."

"Hyunjoo~" Ilhoon whined.

"Don't use your aegyo on me. It won't work." He pouted. "Fine." He crossed his arms and turned back to the TV. She sneaked a glance at him and laughed to herself. “What a kid.”

"You know..." Ilhoon started, "What you just said..." She was ready to hurt him if he made fun of her one more time. "...was really cute."

She blinked at him. Shwe thought she heard wrong. "What?" Did he just call her cute? The aggressive, violent girl cute? He turned his head to look at her. "I said you are cute." He gave her a breath taking smile. She turned back to the TV, flushed. "Don’t say that to make up for yourself. It's not working." However, her face felt hot and she felt a tingly feeling going around her whole body from head to toe.

He shrugged. He knew she wasn't going to believe him anyways. "Whether you believe me or not, I still think it was cute. Nice start anyways."

"I...I was forced to learn tai kwon do and self defense," she started. "When I was young, around first grade, maybe? Anyway, I learned really fast. I was advancing really quickly while the kids my age took longer." She paused. "I hurt someone during school. He was picking on me and I hurt him. I think he stayed home for about two weeks to recover." She chuckled at the memory. "But of course I had my punishment, too. I was suspended for a day. During that day I wasn't at school, the new spread quickly. Everyone in my whole school labeled me as the wrestler."

Ilhoon laughed. "Wrestler?"

She shrugged, "That's what they called me. Everyone was scared of 'the wrestler'. Even my friends were so they wouldn't talk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter