A New Place to Stay

The Way She Shines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Get him!" Hyunseung screamed at the screen.

"I'm trying!" Yoseob whined. "He’s too strong!"

"UGH! Yoseob, hurry up! You're the only person left!" Kikwang yelled at him. "Hurry!" Dongwoon pressured. The screen out and said in big red letters, “GAME OVER”

"Ah!" Junhyung groaned in frustration.

Doojoon slapped the boy in the head. "You ."

"That hurts!" Yoseob whined and rubbed his head. "You try it! It's not as easy as it seems." While the boys bickered about the game, Hyunjoo stayed on the side, bored to death. She'd rather go find someplace to sleep for the night until she can find a place that she can rent out. She looked at the time. It was already close to 6. It was getting late and she really needed a place to stay.

Hyunjoo stood up and walked towards the door without a word but Doojoon caught her. "Whoa, whoa, whoa." He blocked her path. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Home," she fibbed.

"I'm not going to let you go that easily. I searched everywhere for you and now that I finally found you, you leave again?"

"What does it matter to you? I never asked you to find me at all," she snapped and tried to go past him but he grabbed her arm.

"Don’t leave me," he pleaded. She looked at him. There was no playfulness in his eyes at all. He was dead serious. "I really did try to find you ever since you left."

She raised an eyebrow. "Why would you do that?"

"...because I want to protect you," he answered. She stayed silent and he continued. "Those men... Your situation... I mean, there must be a reason why you don't like to make friends. I want to help you and no, it’s not pity. I'm being friendly. Family and friends are the only people who can help you with your situation."

"What if... what if family and friends are the reason why I'm like this?" she asked. He was left speechless. "There’s nothing you can do. People are the ones who made me like this. The only person I can trust is myself." She looked down at his hand, signalling him to let to.

"At least let me walk you home. At least show me that you're doing well so I won't bother you anymore," he offered and he really meant it. She stared in his eyes for a bit before answering, "Whatever."

She pulled her arm out of his grasp and walked out of the arcade. Doojoon quickly informed his friends and ran after Hyunjoo. They didn't talk much while they were walking. That conversation earlier made it awkward for Doojoon to talk to her. He wanted to protect her but if it is friends that made her that way, then he'd rather stay out of it. No matter how much he wanted to stay by her, he couldn't. She was so similar to his past girlfriend, yet so different. His ex-girlfriend, Yoona was a stubborn girl and so was Hyunjoo. The differences are, Hyunjoo had a loving family; she smiled and knew how to defend herself. Yoona on the other hand, she was abused by her family, she never smiled and she was weak.

Doojoon let Hyunjoo off the hook since she seemed strong enough to fend for herself. Since friends and family were the ones who made her that way, he'd rather not dig the hole any deeper.

The two of them neared the store Hyunjoo frequently slept in when she had nowhere to stay. She stood in front of the store and turned around to face Doojoon. "I'm home. Now leave."

He looked around. "This is a hardware shop though..."

"Thanks Captain Obvious. But it is also my home. It's my dad's shop."

"I want to see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter