What He Does For Her

The Way She Shines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

They next day was a normal day with morning classes. Mr. Bae already got used to her annoying tactics so he wasn't affected by them anymore. Because he didn’t react the way she wanted him to, she was getting bored of class.

It was a study period and she thought it would be a perfect time to make class fun. Students stress too much.

"Teach," she whispered. "Hm?" He didn't take his eyes off his paper but she wanted his whole attention.

"Teach," she whispered again. "What is it?" "Mister teach!" she whispered loudly.

He sighed, taking his glasses off with his whole body facing towards her. "What is it Hyunjoo?"

"Let's play a game," she suggested. He raised an eyebrow. "This is a study period."

"Yeah, but I'm bored.” She folded her arms together on her chest. “Plus you’re getting boring. You’re supposed to react to my remarks. What happened?"

He ignored her question. "You may be smart but the others aren't. They need to finish their work,” he whispered to her, afraid the other students would hear.

"What?" she said quite loudly. "Are you calling your students stupid?"

The students heard Hynjoo loud and clear and started whispering to their friends but then it got louder. "How could you Mr. Bae?" A student complained. The class murmered in agreement. "Quiet down!" he yelled.

The class quieted down. "See? They don't think they’re stupid. It's just you." Hyunjoo went back to whispering.

He slapped his face with his palm. "Look, I'll make a deal," she negotiated. "If the class average is less that 60 then I'll tutor one of your worst students."

He clasped his hands together on his desk, thinking it over. He looked at her with an eyebrow raised. "Just one?"

She rolled her eyes at his complicated reasoning. "Fine two. I only have one brain you know."

"Make the average 65,” he told her.

She made a face, "Teach, are really that confident in your class?"

He turned back to his papers. "Get back to work, Hyunjoo."

She sighed, stood up and faced the class. That teacher can really bargain. "Do you want to play a game?" The class just mumbled to each other. She sighed, "Come on guys. I'm bored and you guys probably don't want to work, right? So, I need your cooperation. Answer together alright? Do you want to play a game?"

"Yeah..." the students timidly answered. To be honest, they were all pretty scared of Hyunjoo. There have been rumours circulating around the school that she killed a couple people and that she hurt Junhyung because she suspected that he was one of “them”. They didn’t even know who “they” were.

"Answer again," Hyunjoo commanded. "Yeah," they said louder. "Shout it out!" "Yeah!"

She clapped her hands together. "Great! Do you want to work right now?"

"No!" they chorused.

"Do you want to get tutored by me?"

"No!" this boy yelled. She pointed to him. "Great! I don't want to see your face more than I have to.”

The class laughed as the boy cowered behind his textbook. "I expect you to have more than 65 on the test tomorrow. If you don't, then I'll have to tutor two of you dorks-"

"Hyunjoo!" Mr. Bae warned.

She rolled her eyes. She didn’t even say anything bad. She fixed her words, "Two students I'm pretty sure all of you don’t want to be tutored by me right?" She nodded specifically at the boy who yelled the loudest.

"Who are the two students?" a boy asked.

She shrugged, "It can be any of you. I'll just close my eyes,” she covered her eyes with her hand, “and point around the room to choose my two.” She stretched our her arm and randomly pointed at a student. She opened her eyes and saw that she pointed to a quiet girl who sat in the back of the class.

"What if you're already doing good in this class?” someone asked.

She laughed, "Keep dreaming guys. Okay, let's play!"

The whole remaining hour of class, they played various games organized by Mr. Bae since Hyunjoo was the one who wanted to play, not organize it. When that class was done, they headed to their next, feeling all hyper. Hyunjoo sat down at her seat and a girl turned around to face her. "Hey, that was fun wasn't it?" Ilhoon saw the girl trying to talk to her.

Hyunjoo looked up and raised her eyebrow. "Why are you talking to me?" Her playful side was gone.

"I was just trying to make a conversation..." said the student.

"Well, make that conversation with the person beside you and focus on your studies," she snapped.

The girl made a face and turnd around. "What’s wrong with her? She's the one who didn't want to study..."

Ilhoon lightly laughed at the scene. Minhyuk looked at his friend. "What’s wrong?"

He covered his mouth with his fist, but he couldnt stop laughing. Eventually, he let out a loud laugh. The whole class turned to him. "Is there something wrong?" the teacher asked. He shook his head and apologized. "I just saw something really funny."

He looked towards Hyunjoo who was staring at him too. He gave her a heart throbbing smile. The girls in front of her thought he was smiling at them so they squeeled to themselves. Hyunjoo on the other hand wasn't fazed by it at all. She turned back to the front of the class.

Morning classes ended and it was lunchtime. Doojoon was looking for her all over the school yesterday after he heard Ilhoon's story. It was all a misunderstanding. He had nothing to do with Junhyung and his plan, and he needed to tell her right away. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to find her that day either. She was at the rooftop with Ilhoon again.

Ilhoon was doing all the talking while she just listened. He was talking about his childhood. There was something she didn't understand though.

"Why are you telling me this?" she asked.

"Because you're my friend," he’d answer.

"I thought you only had your buddies. Why add me to the group? I am nowhere near your definition of a friend. "

He shrugged, "I guess I just want to get to know you. I did say you were interesting the first time I saw you."

She raised an eyebrow. "So you wanted to befriend me because I'm different?"

He quickly shook his head. "It's not like that. There was something about you that made me want to become your friend. I guess my definition of friend has changed even though I don't know to what, just yet."

She still didn't understand him. He sighed, "What I'm trying to say is, there's something about you that makes me want to be your friend, alright? You look like you need a friend," he quickly added, "It’s not pity. You seem like you have a lot of things to say but there is no one to talk to. That's why I'm here. I'm going to gain your trust so you can tell me whatever you want to tell me."

She looked at him. He wasn't looking at her but from his side profile, he looked really determined, like it was a life goal. She looked away and smiled. "Maybe I'll do that."

He looked at her and smiled. "You’re going to try right?"

She nodded and he laughed. She looked at him weirdly. "Why are you laughing?"

He shrugged and looked at her, "I guess I'm laughing of joy?" She smiled and shook her head, while he kept laughing quietly.

"Say, you haven't visited the bakery lately," he said.

She gave him a weird look. "How would you know?"

"I work there now. Ahjumma asked me to work there. She said she's too old to stand and watch the store. She says she can only stay there for a while and go home. She has other employees but I guessed she needed someone else." She didn't say anything so he continued. "You...  should come soon."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "What did I warn you about?"

He held his hands up, "I know, I know. I...just wanted to see you outside of school. I won't act like I know you or anything. But there's a reason why you don't want people to see you outside of school, right?" She didn't answer and he continued. "I won't force it out of you. Once you consider me as a f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter