f o u r

Snapshot

“Wow, Minwoo,” Jeongmin said as they walked home.  “I’m surprised.”

Minwoo looked up at his hyung, confused.  “Why?”

“Cute, fun, bubbly girl and you’re not all over her like a koala,” he grinned evilly.

“I’m not a koala,” he defended himself.

“That still doesn’t explain why you were so quiet,” Donghyun said.  Crap, so he noticed too?

“Maybe I’ve matured beyond that now,” Minwoo mused, lifting his nose in the air.  Silence blanketed the group before it erupted in a burst of laughter.

“Minwoo, mature, I’ll believe that when I see it,” Jeongmin chortled.

Minwoo scowled.  “Mean.  All of you are mean.”

“You know what I think?” Youngmin mulled.  “I think that if it weren’t for the devil’s torture device always in her hands, he would be himself.”

“Devil’s torture device?” repeated Hyesoo.

Youngmin nodded wisely.  “Yes, the camera.”

“Are you scared of a little camera, Minnie?” Jeongmin snickered.

A blush crept up to Minwoo’s cheeks.  “O-of course not!  Aish, it’s just a stupid camera.  What is there to be scared of?” 

“That’s what we want to know,” Jeongmin egged.

“Guys, stop it,” Donghyun scolded.  “That’s enough now.  You are all being immature.”

“Yeah, especially you, Youngmin,” Jin chipped in.  “You know better than that.  If I hear you teasing Minwoo one more time, no skin-ship for a week.”

“What?” Youngmin shrieked.  “You can’t do that!  I’ll die!”

Jin rolled her eyes.  “You won’t die, pabo.  And yes, I can do that.”

“Uh oh,” Kwangmin mocked, half serious.  “The newly-couple is fighting.  Time to scram.  Youngmin, fix it.”

As the others made their escape, Youngmin yelled out, “Why do I always have to fix it?”

“Because you’re the man!” his twin shouted.

“What if I don’t want to be the man anymore!” Youngmin’s cry of frustration was quickly dying in volume from the increasing distance.

Kwangmin chuckled.  “Then, hyung, we have a problem,” he said mostly to himself, just loud enough for the others to hear.

Minwoo, glad that the conversation had strayed from him, laughed along with the others.

 

 

Chiming bells were what pulled Kwangmi from her thoughts as she scanned her photography folder on her laptop.  She picked up her phone and clicked on the new text message she had received.

From: Mirror Prince

To: Picture Princess

      hey wats up?

Kwangmi smiled, white teeth glinting in the light from her laptop screen. 

From: Picture Princess

To: Mirror Prince

      going through my pics from this week. my teacher is gonna love me =)

From: Mirror Prince

To: Picture Princess

      get sum good ones?

 

From: Picture Princess

To: Mirror Prince

      you have no idea ^^ i think these are some of my best so far.  maybe i AM getting better.

 

From: Mirror Prince

To: Picture Princess

      lol =)

      wut r u doin sat nite?

 

From: Picture Princess

To: Mirror Prince

      nothing as far as i know.  why?

 

From: Mirror Prince

To: Picture Princess

      evry1 is meetin @ my house 4 a movie nite. u in?

 

From: Picture Princess

To: Mirror Prince

      as long as its after 7 & i get home by 12 im good

From: Mirror Prince

To: Picture Princess

      asum!  heres my address.  if u need a ride i can pick u up.  it will be at 7:30

 

After receiving his address and looking up the location on Google maps, she decided she wouldn’t need to be picked up.  She debated on whether she should reply or not.  She had decided against it until a question popped in her mind.

 

From: Picture Princess

To: Mirror Prince

      has anyone asked for my # yet?

 

From: Mirror Prince

To: Picture Princess

      it has been given to evry1.  not sure who will txt u tho

 

From: Picture Princess

To: Mirror Prince

      cool thx

 

Kwangmi locked her phone and threw it at her bed, not angrily, just annoyed.  Would Minwoo text her?  She hoped so, because she didn’t have his number to be the instigator.  Normally, she would have just asked Jeongmin for it, but she didn’t want to push too hard too soon.  Besides, suddenly getting a message from the insane girl would be strange and probably freak him out.  She decided just to ask for it Saturday night.  The girl turned back to her laptop, finishing up the touch-ups on the picture she was working on.  The brown-haired boy lounged lazily on the vivid green grass, bright red shirt nearly glowing.  Kwangmi smiled.

New favorite picture.

Minwoo stared at his phone, a frown creasing his brow.  The screen was lit with his contacts and he stared at the newest one.

Woo Kwangmi.

“Should I call her?” he asked himself, and then shook his head.  “No, no. That would be too awkward.  Besides, she did say that she preferred texting anyway.  So should I text her?”  Minwoo pulled a pillow to his face, groaning into it.  “What do I do?”  He stared at his phone a moment longer and then scoffed.  “Why am I even thinking about this?  I don’t need to call her.”  He set his phone aside and instead reached for his Xbox.

 

“What to wear?  What to wear?” Kwangmi sang as she flitted across her room, looking from her closet to her drawers, strewing the contents about.  If she was going to this movie night with cute boys, she had to look her best.  In the end, she chose to go with comfortable clothes that still looked good on her.  After all, they would be watching a movie, right?  She decided on her hot pink shorts that peeked out halfway down her thighs from beneath her long white T-shirt that hung on the edges of her shoulders.  A large, silver heart was imprinted in the middle, the word PERFECT following one edge of the heart in the same silver material.  Beneath that she wore a hot pink tube top that matched her shorts.  Kwangmi loosely wrapped her hair in curls, letting her thick locks fall to her shoulders.

 

                Staring satisfactorily in the mirror, Kwangmi smiled.  If she could only compliment one part of herself, it would be her attractiveness.  She was beautiful, and Kwangmi knew it.  That didn’t mean that she was vain about it, but she did use it to her advantage if the situation called for it.  Slipping on her white ballet flats, she shouldered the long strap of her white one-pocket bag that was covered in buttons.  Walking downstairs, she called out to anyone who would listen that she was going out.

                “Kwangmi, wait!” her brother stopped her.

                “What is it?” she queried, stopping at the door.

                “Are you sure you can find the way?  I can take you, it’s not a hassle.”

                “I’m pretty sure I can find it on my own,” Kwangmi assured.

                Kevin scoffed.  “Kwangmi, you couldn’t find the bathroom in our house if you didn’t spend three hours in it every morning.”

                “Oppa, I’ve been there before to take pictures multiple times.  I think I’ll be alright.  I already know where the street is.  I just need to find the right house number.  No big deal.”

                Kevin sighed, defeated.  “Do you have your phone?” he asked.  Kwangmi dug in her bag and pulled it out.  “Is it charged?”  She unlocked it and showed him the full battery.  “Do you have bus money?”  Kwangmi reached in her bag again, fishing around.

                “Um…”

                Kevin smiled.  “I was almost getting excited there.  I thought you had remembered everything.”  He took his wallet out of his back pocket, handing her a few bills from its contents.  “You will pay me back.  I’ll remind you.  And text me when you’re done so I can come pick you up.  There is no way I’m letting my baby sister find her way home in the dark.”

                Kwangmi took the money, placing it carefully in her bag.  “Thank you oppa!” She reached up on her toes and kissed his cheek.  He opened the door as she walked out.

                “Be safe!” he added as she made her way down the walkway.  “Call me if you get lost!”

                “I will!  I’ll text you when I get there!” she promised.

                Kevin smiled fondly at his little sister’s back, murmuring, “You’d better.”

                               

               Somehow, by some miracle, Kwangmi found herself in front of the house whose address number mirrored the one in the text message that Jeongmin had sent to her.  She had been right when she told her brother she knew the way, but even so, she couldn’t believe she got it right the first time.  Usually, it took her a while to arrive somewhere because she always got lost.  Upon remembering her promise to Kevin, she pulled out her phone, knocking on the door as she did so.

 

From: Mi-ah

To: Kevin Oppa

      I made it to Jeongmin’s house safely.  You’re welcome ^^

 

             Kwangmi hit the send button just as the door opened.  She looked up into a familiar face and smiled.

            “Hello, Jeongmin,” she greeted.  “Or should I call you Mirror Prince?”

            The boy smirked, leaning against the doorframe.  “It’s kind of a joke.”

            “I figured,” Kwangmi responded.

            “But you can call me anything you want: Jeongmin, Mirror Prince, oppa, jagiya-”

            “Ugh!  Spare me!” someone groaned in the background.  “Donghyun hyung!  Jeongmin hyung is being greasy again!”

            Kwangmi laughed.  “Is that Minwoo?”  The girl tried to peer over Jeongmin’s shoulder.

           The boy scowled, but a playful gleam lit his eyes.  “Unfortunately, yes.  Come in.”  He moved out of the way and swaggered inside, not looking back to see if she followed.

            “Cocky,” Kwangmi whispered to herself.  Her phone chimed and she glanced at it.  The message was from Kevin, thanking her for telling him and congratulating her that she remembered.  Kwangmi rolled her eyes and put her phone back in her bag, stepping into the house and shutting the door behind her.

            Kwangmi found herself in a nice sized house, comfortably furnished with a modern layout.  She didn’t take long to admire it, however.  She wasn’t taking pictures, and she had more attractive structures to ogle.  One of those being Minwoo’s developing abs as he wrestled with Youngmin on the floor in the sitting room.  His loose shirt had lifted, exposing his midriff.  

            “Youngmin-hyung, let me go,” the younger one struggled.

            “Apologize first,” the other demanded.

            Minwoo grunted as he attempted to wriggle out of Youngmin’s grasp.  “Never!”

            The brunette elbowed the other in the stomach, twisting so that he could push Youngmin away.  It sort of worked.  Minwoo managed to remove Youngmin’s hands and arms, but the older struck out with a foot, hooking it around Minwoo’s leg.

            “Ack!” Minwoo let out a strangled cry as he fell from his half-risen position.

            Kwangmi giggled as she watched the battle.  Minwoo whipped his head in the direction of the noise, his expression of hope quickly falling to one of humiliation. 

 

 

            “Youngmin hyung, that’s enough,” Minwoo gave one last kick before removing the last bit of filth from his body.  Before the other could latch on again, Minwoo regained his footing, dusting himself off, adjusting his shirt.

            He glanced at Kwangmi who stood at the entrance of the room.  He hadn’t known she was coming.  When he had heard someone giggle, he had thought it was Jin or Hyesoo having come back from the kitchen to save him.  But no, it hadn’t been either, it had been her.  Minwoo plopped down on the sofa, arms folded over his chest defiantly, trying to cover his embarrassment. 

            Stupid Youngmin hyung.

            Someone plopped down next to him and the brunette looked up, finding Kwangmi next to him.

            “Hey,” she chirped.

            “Hi,” Minwoo returned, trying not to sound sharp, trying to breathe.

            “What was that all about?”

            Minwoo huffed.  “Youngmin hyung was being a meanie.”

            “Yah, you started it!” the blonde pointed an accusatory finger at Minwoo.  “You called me a devil!”

            “Boys, calm down.  We have a guest over,” someone scolded.

            Minwoo looked over and saw Hyesoo, Jin, Hyunseong, and Kwangmin come in with snacks, placing them on the coffee table.

            “But Hyesoo noona, he started it,” Minwoo blamed.

            “I don’t care who started it, I’m finishing it,” she glared.  “Although it doesn’t surprise me that it’s all Youngmin’s fault.”

            “Yah!”

            “Oh, Youngmin, shut up,” Donghyun scolded.  Minwoo smiled triumphantly.

            “Why does he always get away with everything?  Just because he’s the youngest?”

            Silently, Jin walked over to Youngmin, tugging on his sleeve.  He looked down at her, face softening.

            “Oppa, I love you,” she murmured.

            And Youngmin melted.  He broke out in a grin, holding his girlfriend close to him.  “I love you, too,” he cooed, pulling her over to the one-person seat, setting her on his lap.

            Minwoo smiled successfully.  He leaned over to the girl next to him.  “And we win again,” he whispered.

            “Does this happen often?” she asked.

            Minwoo chuckled softly.  “You have no idea.  That kid likes to grate on everyone’s nerves.  Jin is the only one who can calm him down.”  He suddenly remembered who he was talking to and pulled back, awkwardly clearing his throat.  “Hey, hyung, what movie are we watching?” he asked Jeongmin.

            “I have a couple of ideas,” he said, waving a few DVDs in the air.  Minwoo jumped from his seat and rushed over.  Upon seeing the selection, Minwoo stuck out his tongue, wrinkling his brow.

            “Hyung, these are all horrors,” Minwoo pointed out.

            “I know.”

            “I’m not watching these.”

            “Too bad.”

            “Jeongmin.”

            “What?” Jeongmin asked Donghyun.

            “We all have to agree on a movie,” he ruled.  “Or at least majority rule.”

            Jeongmin muttered under his breath.  “Stupid maknae always gets his way.”

            Minwoo ignored him and sat back down on the couch.  Horror movies didn’t really scare him, he just didn’t like them.  The blood and gore and ghosts and killers he could handle.  It was the music.  The freaking music was his downfall.  It got his heart racing even though he wasn’t scared and then that blast of instruments when something bad or surprising happened always made him jump.  Every.  Freaking.  Time.

            Kwangmi leaned over to Minwoo, whispering in his ear.  “Thanks for that.”

            He looked at her, confused.  “For what?”

            “For making them change the movie choice.  I don’t like scary movies.  I get scared too easily.”  She looked down at her hands.  It was the first time Minwoo had seen her shy.

            “Eh, no problem.”

            She smiled at him gratefully.

            “What about this one?” Jeongmin held out another movie, handing it towards Donghyun. 

            The latter took it, glancing over the description, nodding.  “This looks fine.  What do you all think?”  He tossed it over to Jin and Youngmin who both nodded and handed it towards Kwangmin and Hyesoo.  That couple also agreed, passing it to Hyunseong who didn’t even take a glance, but instead carried it to Kwangmi and Minwoo.

            Kwangmi took it, glancing at the description.  Her face paled slightly but nodded her consent, giving it to Minwoo.  The boy took it, glancing through.  He knew this movie.  It was an action packed mystery.  There were a few scary scenes, but nothing too bad compared to the horror that Jeongmin had previously picked out.  Minwoo glanced at Kwangmi, wondering if he should refuse on her part.  Then again, if he did refuse it wouldn’t do anything.  She had already agreed and he would be the only one to refuse, thus rendering his vote null and void.  In the end, Minwoo nodded his agreement as well.

            The lights were dimmed.  Snacks passed hands.  Previews began playing.  Minwoo leaned back, waiting for the movie to start.  The opening scenes began, setting up the plot, introducing the characters.  Minwoo glanced at Kwangmi, watching her carefully.  He didn’t know why he felt such a powerful need to make sure she wasn’t scared.

             It’s because you’re a nice guy, Minwoo.  Scaring girls is not cool.  With that thought, he continued watching the movie, keeping an eye on Kwangmi.

            The first scary scene came up.  Kwangmi stiffened next to Minwoo as the music began, the music that foreshadowed every chilling moment.  The idiot in the movie wandered into the dark museum, waving his flashlight, looking for some clue as to the identity of the thief/murderer.  He rounded a corner and came face-to-face with an upraised dagger.  The music spasmed and Minwoo twitched in his seat and glanced at Kwangmi.  Her eyes were shut tight.

             The movie continued.

            A few more action scenes between the misunderstood heroes trying to save the artwork and the police passed by.  It was actually a pretty good movie.  The evil music picked up again, alluding to another frightful encounter.  This time, one of the pretty consultants had stayed behind alone going over the artwork one last time for the night.  Something beeped in the next room over and she (foolishly) decided to investigate.  Once more, Minwoo looked over at Kwangmi, who already had her head down, hands covering her ears.  Without thinking about what he was doing, he placed a hand on her head, her hair.  The girl peered up, surprised.  Minwoo, embarrassed, looked back at the screen, but didn’t remove his hand.  Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Kwangmi lean towards him a bit, as if trying to decide if it would be okay to bury her face into his shirt or not.  She opted on not and the scene passed with another death.  Minwoo removed his hand.

            The plot thickened, hinting that the thief was more than one person –a team.  The protagonists decided to split up and guard each room of the museum.  Since when was splitting up ever a good idea?  Minwoo was right, it wasn’t.  Soon enough, the music started up again and the camera focused on one of the more loveable characters, pacing the room.  Kwangmi stare wide-eyed, paralyzed.  Just when the shadowy figure loomed behind the character, Minwoo covered Kwangmi’s eyes.  Her hands covered his and she ducked her head, as if that would block out the strangled cries of the hero.  Minwoo felt a shiver run through her and just before he could do something, she turned in to him, burying her head into his chest.  Minwoo’s heart rate increased ever so slightly.

            The movie moved along and Minwoo uncovered her eyes, but she didn’t move away.  She stayed leaning up against him, hands clutching his shirt, head uncertainly turned toward the television screen.

            Taking pity on her, Minwoo whispered quietly in her ear, “There is only one more scary scene.  Promise.”  She lifted her head, looked up at him, and nodded faintly, returning her head to its former position on his chest.

            The rest of the movie continued with mostly action scenes.  The identities of the thieves were revealed and an intense gun battle ensued.  The entire scene must have lasted about three minutes total.  The antagonists were caught and cuffed.  A happy ending was surely promised.  Right?  The main hero went back to his home, satisfied to return to normal life again.  Kwangmi relaxed in Minwoo’s arms, thinking the worst was over.  She was wrong.

            The protagonist collapsed on the couch, flipping through the channels on the TV.  A soft crash sounded in the distance, but it wasn’t too noticeable and could easily be mistaken for a sound effect on the show he was watching.  And then the music started.  Kwangmi stiffened again, muscles tightening.  A lone shadow loomed in the background, a sliver of silver reflecting in the soft light from the TV screen.  Minwoo covered the girl’s eyes while she covered her ears.  The gun clicked and the hero froze, the situation dawning on him without having to turn around to face his attacker.  In a blur, the protagonist pulled out his own gun and fired just as the other gunman pulled the trigger.  Kwangmi shuddered as the shots rang.  Both men fell.  Only one still breathed.  The protagonist had survived with a shot to the shoulder.  The other sustained a fatal shot to the heart.  And a happy, albeit gruesome, ending finished the movie.

            The credits rolling, Kwangmi shivered inside Minwoo’s arms.  When he pulled back his hands, she sat up slowly, an apologetic smile curving her lips sheepishly.

            “Sorry about that,” she rubbed the back of her neck, still slightly shaken.  “I probably should have warned you that I have a tendency to latch onto things when I get scared.”

            Minwoo waved it off.  “It’s fine.  It’s better than sitting next to anyone else.”  He pointed out the others.  The two couples cuddled together, neither group probably paying much attention to the movie in the first place.  Donghyun was still hooked on Hyunseong’s arm, and knowing Jeongmin, he would have talked throughout the entire movie.  “Believe me, I made a calculated decision.  Sitting next to you was my best option, no matter what tendencies you have.”

            Kwangmi grinned happily.  “Thanks.  But next time, let’s try to convince the others into a comedy instead.”

            Minwoo agreed full heartedly.  He was starting to get comfortable around this girl.  Maybe he really was just scared of cameras.  Minwoo shook the thought away.  Not scared, just uncomfortable.

            “Kwangmi, what did you think of the movie?” Hyesoo asked from across the room.

            As the girls gave their opinions, Minwoo felt a hand on his shoulder.  Looking up, Minwoo stared skeptically into Jeongmin’s smirking face.  “You’re welcome,” he said smugly.

             “For what?” Minwoo questioned, guard raised.  The other looked toward the girl sitting on the couch next to the maknae.  Minwoo’s eyes widened, blushing.  “What are you trying to get at?”

            Jeongmin’s smirk widened.  “Nothing.”

            “Yah, focus on yourself,” Minwoo demanded.  “Stop messing with other people’s lives.”

            Dissatisfaction replaced the smirk on the elder’s face.  “I’ll let you’re your disrespect slide just this once, maknae.  Only because you don’t know the benefits that came from this.”

            “What benefits?” Minwoo yelped.

 

            Kwangmi turned to look at Minwoo.  Benefits?  Jeongmin peered at her and he winked, further confusing her already muddled mind.

            “What are you two going on about now?” Donghyun sighed wearily, prying himself away from Hyunseong.

            “Nothing,” Minwoo quickly put in, standing up from the couch.  “What time is it?”

            Hyunseong looked at his phone.  “It’s only 10:00.  What do you guys want to do now?”

            “Board games?” Donghyun suggested.

            “Nah, those are boring,” Youngmin complained.  “Let’s play video games.”

            Jin punched his shoulder.  “Yah, what do you think this is?  Aren’t we supposed to socialize?”

            “Look who’s talking, Miss Antisocial.”

            “Youngmin,” Donghyun warned in a low tone.

            Kwangmi giggled, yet as much as the sight in front of her amused her, she couldn’t help but let her thoughts wander back to the movie.  She hadn’t been lying when she’d told Minwoo her bad habit.  Kwangmi did tend to latch onto things when she was scared.  She had tried to hold herself back during the movie, but it had been difficult.  She didn’t want to scare him further, but somehow he seemed more comfortable with her now than he had before.  Kwangmi smiled to herself, heart thumping in her chest.  The area on her shoulders where he had held her close, the soft impression of his shirt on her cheek, these areas felt cold now that his warmth had vanished.  She wanted to be close to him again, but she didn’t know how to accomplish that subtly.

            “How about hide-and-seek?”

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

So, another chapter up :) I want to hear from you guys. If you hand't noticed, I like communication. What did you think of t his chapter?

Sorry the updates are coming really slow. Senior year of high school is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Not in this generation. Not if you want to get into a good college. So, while I want to be writing my story and be on AFF, I'm working on schoolwork. Ugh, icky stuff XP

Good news! 5 subscribers already! Happy happy happy XD Yay! So excited right now. Thank  you for subscribing! It really means a great deal to me.