t h r e e

Snapshot

                The teams were split up as so.  Team 1 consisted of Donghyun, Jeongmin, Kwangmin and Hyunseong.  Youngmin, Minwoo, Kwangmi, and Kevin made up Team 2.  Jin couldn’t play ball to save her life (she might take someone else’s in the process), so she and Hyesoo decided to watch from the sidelines. 

                The teens played seven rounds with the scores coming out as 2:5, Team 2 dominating.  After Youngmin had scored the 10th and final shot, Donghyun insisted on a break.

                “Grandpa,” Youngmin muttered under his breath.

                Donghyun narrowed his eyes.  “What was that?”

                “Nothing!” the guilty replied brightly, innocently.

                “Yah, Youngmin, watch what you say.”

                “Do they always argue like that?” Kwangmi leaned over to ask Minwoo surreptitiously.

                Stomach fluttering nervously, the boy shrugged.  “They sometimes do, but usually they get along fairly well.  Most of their arguments are in jest,” he answered cheerfully.

                “Ah, I see.  So it’s like Kevin and me,” she glanced at her older brother.

                “I heard my name,” said boy raised his head, turning away from Hyunseong whom he was talking with.

                “Deh,” Kwangmi piped up.  “We were saying how those two argue, but it’s mostly teasing.  Like you and me.”

                “We wouldn’t argue so much if you didn’t try to boss me around all the time,” Kevin made a face, but smiled again almost immediately.

                “See,” Kwangmi turned her attention back to Minwoo. 

                Minwoo laughed.  “So which one are you in the relationship?  The devil or the boss?”

                “Yah!” Youngmin shouted.  “I heard that!  I am not a devil!”

                “You’re the one who concluded that, not me,” Minwoo returned.  Youngmin scowled as Kwangmi burst into giggles.

                “Jin!” the blonde whined.  “Minwoo is being mean again!”

                “Again?” the accused repeated, taken aback.

                The girl sighed.  “Oppa, I can’t always fix your problems.  Try to get along with people –it will make my life easier.”

                “Wah?” Youngmin pulled back from his koala hug.  “Kwangmin!” He tried plan B.  “Everyone is ganging up on me!”

                “Youngmin,” Kwangmin sighed, patting his twin’s head.  “I love you and everything, but seriously.  You’re the older one.”

                Fake tears welled up in Youngmin’s eyes.  Turning away dejectedly, he crouched down facing a tree, hiding his face in his arms.  An ache resounded in Minwoo’s heart and even though he knew Youngmin was acting, the younger walked over and put his arms around his hyung.

               “I’m sorry, hyung,” he apologized.  “I didn’t really mean it.”

              Youngmin weakly shrugged Minwoo away, obstinate as always.  Minwoo turned to the others.  “Guys, a little help here?”  Seconds later, Youngmin was the center of a group hug, squeezing the breath out of him.

              “Okay, okay!  I get it!  You can get off me now!”

              Laughing, the others dislodged themselves.  Kwangmi and Kevin stood off to the side, watching on with amusement.

              “Aw, what a cute bromance,” Kwangmi cooed.  “Don’t you think, Kevin?”

              “What?” squeaked the boys, toppling away from each other.

              “Aw, moment is over,” Kevin pouted.  “Hey, Kwangmi, speaking of moments, you did get all your pictures, didn’t you?”

              What just happened?  Minwoo asked himself.  These two are so scatterbrained.  Weird people.

              “Oppa,” Kwangmi moped, “that was one time and I didn’t even get in that much trouble.  Honestly, Mrs. Jang is way too uptight about the number of pictures and not so much about the quality.  I’m her best student, and yet she gets after me for such petty things.”

              “Um, what’s going on?” questioned Jeongmin.

              “She’s in a photography class and I’m guessing that her teacher is a stickler about the number of pictures she takes,” Minwoo said.

              “You got that right,” Kwangmi plopped herself down next to him on the grass.  “Aish, that woman needs to take a chill pill.  I wonder why she’s teaching this class anyway for such a high price when she isn’t even focusing on the art aspect.”

              “Sounds like you’ve got a problem with this teacher,” Jeongmin observed.  “Need some help fixing it?”

              “Hyung,” Minwoo warned.  “Stop.”

              “Stop what?”

              “Thinking.  Stop thinking.  Nothing good can come out of that brain.”

              “Such a rude dongsaeng!” Jeongmin exclaimed.  “How could you say something so cruel to your hyung?”

              Kwangmi stifled a laugh.  “You guys are all divas –more so than I am.”

              “I’ll take that as a compliment,” Jeongmin stated, flipping his hair.  “Now where is my mirror?” he muttered, searching his cinch bag.

              Everyone excluding Kevin and Kwangmi groaned. 

              “You’ve got to be kidding me,” Hyunseong face-palmed.

              “You can never look too good,” Jeongmin counseled, examining his hair in the pocket mirror.

              Kwangmi couldn’t contain her laughter.  “You are all just too amazing.  I wish I had my camera with me.  You all have the most perfect facial expressions!”

              Good, no camera today.  Minwoo let out a sigh in relief.

              “Oh, I thought that might happen,” Kevin spoke up.  “Luckily for you I thought ahead and brought this.”  The boy pulled over his bag, revealing a digital camera.

              Oh no.  Minwoo stiffened at the sight of the electronic.  Acting like a fool he could deal with.  Acting like a fool with a camera around?  Totally different story. 

 

 

              Kwangmi gasped.  “Thank you!” she squealed, wrapping her arms around her brother’s neck before snatching the camera away.  “You always know what to do.”

              “No problem.  I also remembered your phone for you.”  He handed her the cellular device.

              The girl stared blankly at the object in her hand.  “I didn’t even know I’d forgotten it.”

              “And that is why you have me around.”

              Kwangmi gave her brother a grateful smile, and then turned to the others.  “Now, don’t act all weird just because a camera is around,” Kwangmi chided, speaking to the entire group but glancing at the boy next to her.  “I only take pictures when there is an opportunity or the moment presents itself.  Oh, and I won’t take your picture without your consent.”

              Kwangmi observed their faces, watching their reactions.  The one named Jin seemed hesitant around the camera as well as Minwoo.  Hyunseong seemed slightly uncomfortable, but nothing too serious.  Everyone else seemed pretty chill about it.  Smiling satisfactorily, Kwangmi raised the camera to her eyes and snapped a shot randomly of the playground.  Checking out the picture in the display screen, a small frown etched on her forehead.

              “I wish I had my Canon,” she murmured.  “These will need more touching up because of the resolution.”

              “So you like photography?” Hyesoo asked.

              Kwangmi smiled gently to herself, still gazing at the screen.  “Yeah.” 

              “Oh, Kwangmi,” Kevin spoke up abruptly, checking his phone.  “We’ve gotta go.  Mom needs us home.”

              Kwangmi sulked.  “But I just got my camera out.”

              “Sorry, but we have to go now or we’ll be in trouble.”

              Groaning, the auburn-haired girl stood up.  “So is this it?  Or are you all willing to play a little more ball sometime again?” she asked the group.

              “Totally!” Jeongmin jumped up.  “I need a rematch!  There’s no way I’m settling with losing!”

              “Jeongmin, you always lose,” Hyunseong pointed out.

              Jeongmin glared at the other.  “Shut up!”  Then he returned his attention to the girl.  “Let’s exchange numbers.”

              “Good idea.”  She reached into her pocket, but came back empty.  “Um, Kevin?  Phone please.”  Chuckling, Kevin handed her the phone from the ground where she had dropped it.  She took it from him.  “Thanks.  Here you go.  Put your number in here and I’ll put yours in mine.”  As they entered their digits, Kwangmi continued speaking.  “Anyone else who wants my number can get it from Jeongmin.  You can text or call, depending on your preference.  I personally prefer texting because I can actually see the words even after I get distracted.” She smiled sheepishly.  “That happens a lot.”  Finished with her task, she handed Jeongmin his phone back and he returned hers.  “And if you want Kevin’s number, you can ask me.”

              “That’s if she has her phone on her and it’s charged,” Kevin added.

              “Yah,” Kwangmi whined, lightly shoving him with her shoulder.

              “You know it’s true.”

              “Fine, fine!” she threw her hands up and stalked away, waving one last time to the others.  “Bye, everyone!  See you later!”

 

 

              “So what was that all about?” Kevin asked on the way back home.

              Kwangmi shrugged.  “What do you mean?”

              “I mean, how did you meet them?  How did you get them to play basketball?  Which one do you like?”

              Kwangmi giggled, recounting her adventure from the other day.  When she had finished the story, she continued.  “I think Minwoo is camera shy.  Such a shame –he’s cute.”

              “So you like the Minwoo kid.”

              Kwangmi pondered that briefly.  “I think he’s cute and I think I could like him if I got to know him.  I get the feeling he’s more outgoing than he’s letting on.”

              “What makes you say that?”

              “Like I said –a feeling.”

              “So what are you going to do?”

              Kwangmi looked ahead of them as they walked, eyes passing over the many pedestrians and zooming cars.  “I’m formulating a plan.”

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

So how have you guys liked the story so far?  I hope you have all enjoyed it and I hope to hear from more of you as the story progresses :)