t w e n t y - f o u r

Snapshot

Kwangmi wouldn’t eat. No matter how many times Kevin brought her food and sat her down in front of it, she refused to touch it. Though this worried him, he was even more apprehensive about the blank expression on her face. She wouldn’t leave the hospital. She had only changed out of her soiled clothes into clean ones he had brought her. She wouldn’t do anything. She just sat in the same stiff hospital chair, waiting.

She waited for thirteen and a quarter hours.

She didn’t talk. She didn’t cry. She didn’t pace. She didn’t wring her hands. She showed no signs of agitation once those emergency doors closed on the rushing gurney and doctors. The only time she got up was to wash her hands. Always washing her hands.

Kevin guessed that was a sign of agitation.

The only time she had spoken was to say the word ‘blood’ in reply to his question of why she’d spat into her hand. Kevin wasn’t quite sure what that meant, and it created a twisted knot in his stomach.

He’d never seen this side of Kwangmi. How many times had he wished she’d be quiet? How many times had he craved for her to be still? Now he would have given anything, everything, to have his little sister back.

Finally, she was allowed to go see him. Kevin hoped that she would show some excitement from that. Relief. Something. But she remained empty. And Kevin continued to worry. He followed her down the hallway to Minwoo’s room. She got as far as the door. Then she just stopped. Her wide brown eyes peered through the window in the door, but she didn’t move to enter the room.

Kevin wondered what was going on in her head. Probably shock. Shock at seeing him on the white bed, clad in a hospital gown. His hair was shaved in parts where they had to give him stitches. He didn’t look like the goofy kid that Kevin had grown to like. As Kevin was still trying to decide what kind of gift they should bring next time they visit, Kwangmi spun on her heel and walked down the hallway where they had come.

“Kwangmi?” Kevin questioned. “Where are you going? Minwoo is in here…” He trailed off as he rushed to catch up to her.

Her eyes were trained forward, and she practically ran to the elevator. As if she were trying to escape. But escape from what? Kevin wasn’t sure. She pressed the down arrow and the elevator doors opened. She darted inside and Kevin followed.

Kevin held his little sister in his arms. “Kwangmi, what’s the matter?”

And her body started shaking, wracked with sobs. Tears streamed down her face, soaking Kevin’s shoulder. She coughed up hiccups and her fingers clutched at his shirt. Kevin just held her close, cradling his baby sister. Protecting her.

Like he’s always done.

Finally, Kwangmi was able to choke out, “There was so much blood. That’s all I can see, is all that blood.”

She wasn’t able to say anything more after that.