t w o

Snapshot

               Kwangmi looked up from her subject and drifted her gaze to the boy now playing basketball with his friend.  Too bad I’m not doing a people assignment, she thought ruefully.  She turned back to the yellow daisy in front of her, focusing the camera just right so as to capture the contrast of the red and black of the ladybug with the yellow of the flower petals.  With just a little pressure from her finger and the moment was eternally recorded for future generations, or more importantly, for her next photography class. 

                “Miss Jang had better love these pictures,” Kwangmi smiled to herself.  “After all, I am missing out on some great conversation with cute boys to finish this project.”  She giggled, not at all minding how strange she must have looked smiling and talking to herself. 

                With one more look at the basketball boys, she shut off her camera.  “I think I have enough pictures.  Miss Jang can yell at me all she wants; I am not missing out on this opportunity.”

                With that, she made her way back to the beat up court where her new subjects were attempting to murder each other in the game.  Taking a seat on the grass, she watched the two play, swaying her head back and forth to a silent tune.  The one with dark hair spun around to dodge the blonde, but stopped dead in his tracks, eyes wide as he stared at the girl watching the game.  The blonde stole the ball from the brunette’s paralyzed hands and quickly scored before the other could come back to his senses.

                “What are you doing?” the brunette asked, pink coloring his angular face.

                Kwangmi cocked her head to the side.  “Watching a basketball game,” she replied.

                “Aren’t you supposed to be taking pictures for a class?” wondered the blonde.

                Kwangmi shrugged.  “I’m done and I was bored.  Besides, I love watching basketball.”

                “Um,” the brunette looked at the other, uncertainty speaking his thoughts.

                “Don’t mind me,” Kwangmi quickly put in.  “Just keep playing as you were, I won’t distract you.”

                The one still seemed hesitant but the blonde shrugged.  “Whatever.”

                Blondie continued playing and the other had no choice but to comply, although stiffly.  Kwangmi sat back and watched contentedly.

                “Hyung, let’s take a break,” the brunette shouted.  Blondie nodded and made his way off the court to where their water bottles were placed.

                Kwangmi stood up and followed them, taking a seat next to the two, surprising both.  They stared at her in shock as she settled herself on the ground.  When she looked up, she met their curious gazes.

                “What?” she asked.

                “Nothing,” the blonde said.  “You seem really comfortable around people.”

                Kwangmi shrugged.  “I’m a photographer; sometimes you have to do crazy stuff to get the best picture possible.  Doesn’t matter what others think.”

                “But you’re not taking pictures now,” the brunette observed.  Kwangmi thought he sounded somewhat relieved.

                “I think it applies to most matters.  But if you want, I can continue taking pictures,” she began to reach for her camera.

                “No, that’s okay,” he waved his hands quickly.

                Chuckling amusedly, Kwangmi put the camera back.  “I’m Woo Kwangmi, by the way,” the girl introduced herself.  She looked at the others expectantly.

                “I’m Jo Youngmin,” the blonde replied.

                “And I’m No Minwoo.”

                Kwangmi smiled.  “It’s nice to meet you.  Now, if you don’t mind my asking, how long have you two been playing basketball?”

                “I’ve been playing since I was, like, nine,” Minwoo offered.  “And I’ve played on my high school team the past two years.”

                “What about you?” Kwangmi asked Youngmin.  “How long have you played?”

                “About the same amount of time,” he answered.  “I’ve also been on the school’s basketball team the past two years.”

                Nodding in understanding, Kwangmi said, “So that explains it.  You two are pretty good.  I should know, my dad was the star basketball player in his high school and I guess he passed the interest down to me.  I blame all the games we went to and watched on TV.”

                “You play?” Youngmin asked.

                “A little, but I’m not very good,” she admitted.  “I just play for fun.”

                “Are you up for a game, then?” Youngmin challenged.

                “In this outfit?” Kwangmi gestured toward her cream knee-length leggings, light green flow-y mid-thigh dress, and ballet flats.  “I’d rather not.  How about another time?  Are you two free Thursday?”

                “I’m free,” Youngmin said.  “What about you, Minwoo?”

                “Eh, y-yeah, I guess I can make it,” he confirmed.  “What time?”

                “Can you guys do 1:00?”

                “Fine by me,” Youngmin grinned.  “Feel free to bring friends.  We probably will, too.”

                Kwangmi smiled delightedly.  “Cool.  Oh, and do either of you have the time?  I forgot to bring my phone with me and I don’t have a watch.”

                “My phone says it’s almost three,” Minwoo told.

                “Alright, I guess I’d better go,” the girl rose regretfully.  “I’ll see you Thursday.  Don’t forget!” 

                “We won’t,” Youngmin promised.  “1:00!”

 

 

                Kwangmi smiled and waved, walking away.  Youngmin turned to Minwoo once she was out of earshot.

                “So what was that all about?” he asked curiously.  “You are never all quiet like that.  Even when you’re feeling shy you don’t ever give off that standoff-ish vibe.”

                “Standoff-ish?” Minwoo repeated.  “Was I really?”

                “Yeah, you were, really,” Youngmin confirmed.

                “Oh,” Minwoo looked down at his hands clutching his water bottle.  “I don’t know what happened.  She just kinda surprised me, you know?  I really wasn’t expecting her to abruptly take a picture of me like that.  It was so unexpected.  And then she just popped out of nowhere to watch us play.  I hope she’s not upset with me…” the younger boy glumly murmured. 

                “I wouldn’t worry too much about that.  She seemed like the kind of person not easily put down,” Youngmin reassured with a pat on the back.  “But seriously, you get more than that all the time at school.  How is this any different?”

                “Correction,” Minwoo held up a finger.  “You get this all the time at school.  I usually don’t have to worry about it.”

                “Hmm,” Youngmin tapped his chin thoughtfully.  “I guess you’re right.  I never really noticed.”

                “It’s ‘cause you’ve been too focused on Jin,” Minwoo teased.

                “Yah!” Youngmin shouted indignantly.  “You’re too young to understand about love and relationships.”

                “Hyung, you’re only, like, three months older than me,” Minwoo pointed out.

                The older of the two struggled for a response, but ended up just jumping to his feet.  “Come on!  We’ve been here too long.  We should get going or people are going to worry.”  Youngmin grabbed his water bottle and secured the basketball with his other hand.  Minwoo chuckled and rose.

                “First he drags me out here, and then drags me back,” he murmured to himself.  “Make up your mind, hyung.”

 

               Minwoo didn’t know how he felt about the upcoming Thursday.  He was excited to play basketball and to do something other than lay around the house, but he was nervous to meet that girl again.  Sure, she was pretty with her shoulder length auburn hair and small nose and high cheekbones, but she was blunt, outspoken, and unafraid.  A lot like Minwoo.  At least she wasn’t clingy.  He didn’t know what he would do if she started being clingy with him.  Minwoo can do it to others, but others can’t do it to him, at least, he wouldn’t be comfortable with it. 

                Actually, the strange girl called Kwangmi took up most of his thoughts for the majority of his waking hours.  She was intriguing, albeit strange, but intriguing.  Minwoo decided that come Thursday, he would act like his normal self, or at least try. 

 

 

                That Thursday, eight people walked to the park together, basking in the glow of the afternoon light. 

                “So who’s this girl that we’re meeting up with?” Jeongmin asked, irritated that he hadn’t gotten details on the mystery person.

                Youngmin shrugged, “Just someone we met up with the other day.  She freaked Minwoo out.”

                “Hyung!” Minwoo complained.  “I was not freaked out.”

                The blonde looked at Jeongmin.  “He totally was.”

                “Hyung!” Minwoo attempted to grab at Youngmin, an attack which the other easily dodged.  “Yah,” Minwoo whined.

                “Yah,” the childish devil mimicked.  “Is that any way to speak to your hyung?”

                Minwoo sniffled.  “Jin!  Youngmin hyung is being mean to me!”

                “Oh, sure, go complain to my girlfriend,” Youngmin scoffed.  “See how much good that will do you.”

                “Youngmin, stop tormenting Minwoo,” Jin admonished.  “What did he ever do to you?  Leave him be.”

                Youngmin’s jaw slacked open in disbelief.  “B-but Jin, how can you go against me like that?”

                “I support the innocent,” she replied emotionlessly.  “I cannot uphold injustice to those who have done no wrong.”

                “Thank you, Jin~” Minwoo hugged the girl tightly only to be ripped away.

                “Yah!  What do you think you are doing?  That is my girlfriend, pabo!” Youngmin glared.

                Jin laughed lightly, pecking her boyfriend’s cheek quickly.  “Let him go.”

                The love-struck puppy immediately did as commanded and instead wrapped his arms around the natural blonde.  “Okay,” he sighed, nuzzling her neck, “but only for you.”

                “Ahh!” the maknae cried, covering his face.  “My eyes!  My poor, innocent eyes!”

                “Minwoo,” Donghyun groaned and Hyunseong face-palmed while the others laughed. 

                They reached the park and headed to the outside court, spotting two figures already warming up by shooting free throws. 

                “Kwangmi!” Youngmin called out, waving his hand.

                The girl looked up and waved, a huge smile alighting on her face.

                “You made it!” she cried.   When everyone had gathered around, Kwangmi introduced her male friend.  “Everyone, this is my big brother, Kevin.  Kevin, say hi.”

                A kid with dusty-blonde hair smiled at the newcomers, bangs lightly covering dark eyes.

                “Hi, how are you all?  My name is Woo Kevin.  It’s nice to meet you,” he bowed politely.

                As the oldest, Donghyun stepped forward.  “My name is Kim Donghyun, this is Shim Hyunseong, Lee Jeongmin, Jo Youngmin, Jung Jin Haneul, Jo Kwangmin, Kim Hyesoo, and No Minwoo.”  He pointed to each one in turn as he recited their names.

                “Kwangmin?” Kwangmi repeated.

                “That’s going to get confusing,” Kevin teased.

                “Eh, it will be okay,” Jeongmin assured.

                “Alright, enough chatter.  Can we play some ball now?” Youngmin urged.

                “Yeah,” Kwangmi agreed.  “Let’s play.”

                “First team to score 10 shots wins!” exclaimed Minwoo.