t w e n t y - e i g h t

Snapshot

My Beloved Kwangmi,

      I hope you now see the mistake you made in the foolish feelings you were allowing yourself to develop for that boy. But we both know that I am your one true love, and that you are mine. No more of this crap. I know the only reason you went for that idiot is because I'm not giving you the love you need and deserve. I'm so sorry for that. But I'm not ready yet. Almost. But not quite. Just be patient for a little bit longer. Good things come to those who wait. But you aren't waiting. And I had to take matters into my own hands. You ignored my hints, and because of that someone had to get hurt. Let's not have a repeat of that again, hmm? This is a warning as much as it is a promise. Keep to yourself, and everthing will be fine.
      I love you. You are my sunshine, my clean air, my crystal water. You know the reason why I am doing all this. So we can be happy together. Forever. I'm doing all this because I love you and want what's best for you. You are my everything. Again, I love you.

Your Only,

       Soulmate

PS. The other joke was gettting old. Now is not the time for jokes anymore. I will prove how serious I am.

 

 

Kwangmi's hand reached in horror, dropping the letter on the front step where she had found it. This person knew where she lived. She had only gotten them during her phoography class, so she thought it must have been one of the boys in there, but she never found out who. Now it had escalated to her front porch. She wasn't safe at home. Who was this monster? He must certainly have been the one who had hurt Minwoo. I had to take matters into my own hands. ...someone had to get hurt. Cold chills spilled down her spine, icing her blood.

What was she going to do? Call the police? Yeah, that was a good idea. It was also safe to assume that the writer was also Minwoo's attacker. Perhaps the police would investigate and figure out who it was that was ruining her life. And as much as she hated to admit it, she would have to tell Kevin. So far she had kept the letters away from his knowledge, but he was in danger now if her stalker knew where she lived.

She picked up the letter again, glancing through it. So many questions arose. The letter made it sound like he thought she knew who he was. But she had no idea. And they were supposed to be in love? How did that crazy notion ever get planted in his head? But what was this line about hints? The only thing she could think about were the previous letters. Then a memory came to her mind. The phtographs. The photographs she had taken of Minwoo that had been torn up. Could that have been a hint? She thought of the guy who was on his way to the darkroom when she was leaving. Was he the one giving her the letters? Was he the one who attacked Minwoo? She had to find out.

With trepidation, she went back in the house, searching for her brother. She found him up to the kitchen counter, doing homework on his laptop. He looked up as she walked in.

"Did you get the food already?" he asked, reminding her of the reason she had stepped out in the first place.

Gulping, she shook her head. "No, but you and I need to talk." Kevin pushed his laptop and books and papers aside, away from his line of sight. She had his full, undivided attention. Just like always. With a deep breath, Kwangmi tossed the letter in front of him. "Read it."

He did. His face darkening with every word he read. By the time he reached the bottom, anger and murderous intent rolled off him in nauseating waves. "You- Do you-" He was so furious that he couldn't even get his question out. Luckily, Kwangmi knew exactly what it was he wanted to ask.

"I don't know who it is who sent it. I have an idea, but I'm not sure. And Kevin..." She waited until he was looking at her. "There are others."

He glared silently for a moment, painfully still, obviously trying to get himself under control enough to speak clearly. "Get them."

His voice, low, dark and heavy, had her racing upstairs to grab the little shoe box where she kept them. When she delicately placed it in front of him, as if it contained fragile glass figurines instead of folds of paper, her heart hammered painfully in her chest, blood rushing in her ears dulling the sounds around her. With stiff movements, Kevin removed the top of the box, looking down at the stack of letters. One by one, he picked them up, read them, and set them aside. He read them backwards by date, reading the most recent ones first and the earlier ones last. By the time he was done, he shook so bad Kwangmi feared he brother would fall off the chair.

"You didn't tell me about this because..?" He left the statement open, waiting for her to fill in the rest with her good reason. Because it had to be a good reason. There was no other explanation.

She swallowed hard. "At first, it didn't seem to be anything of consequence. I didn't know who it was, and the letters were harmless enough. I thought you might make a big deal out of something so trivial. And the letters continued, but they didn't start getting weird until recently. And I told my counselor about it. I thought that would be good enough for now."

"But?" Because of course there was a but.

"But this was on our front step. Before, I only got it at my summer photography class. He knows where I live. Where we live." She looked at him with pleading, fearful eyes.

Kevin grabbed the phone, dialing a number. "Don't worry. I'll fix this." He always does.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling the police."

 


So, hello my wonderful readers! And thank you to the new subscribers and you awesome commenters out there! I hope you all are liking the story so far. What do you think of the latest letter? A few things are starting to be revealed as we near the somewhat end of the story. What are your feelings? I would love to know :)

Okay, I have incredible news. I'm going to Japan!! This is a dream come true for me! My family is pretty poor, so I never thought I would be able to do it. But I decided to go on a mission for my church, and they are sending me to Japan! Sapporo, to be exact. I'll be there for a year and a half. It's still going to cost me $2400, but I've got it mostly figured out, thanks to my generous extended family and my job. I leave December 3rd of this year. So I won't be here for Christmas, which will , but oh well. And that means I have to wrap this story up quickly because I won't be able to on my mission, and I don't want to leave you guys hanging for 18 months.

And that is all the news I have for now. Thank you for supporting me throughout this story so far. If it seems rushed, it's probably because I want to get this done by Thanksgiving. Thank you for being patient and I hope I can fulfill your reading needs! I love all of you!