f o u r t e e n

Snapshot

Kwangmi laid on her bed, grinning ear to ear, staring at the object in her hands.  It was an object she in actuality rarely had in her possession.  That object being her phone.  She had just received a text.  That in itself was not had her so pleased, but the person who sent it and the meaning of the words.

To: Kwangmi

From: Minwoo

      I’m bored.  Let’s hang out.

Such simple words, but the insinuation behind them brought giddy bubbles to her body, making it impossible to sit still.  Eventually, her constant fidgeting started to drive even her mad, and she jumped up, pacing her room, fingers flying.

To: Minwoo

From: Kwangmi

      Sure.  What did you have in mind?


To: Kwangmi

From: Minwoo

      I didn’t really have anything planned.  What do you want to do?


To: Minwoo

From: Kwangmi

      You know what I want to do :P


To: Kwangmi

From: Minwoo

      I’m sure that can be arranged.  Where do you want to meet?


To: Minwoo

From: Kwangmi

      Basketball court?  20 minutes?


To: Kwangmi

From: Minwoo

      I’ll see you there.

 

Quickly, fast as lightning, Kwangmi changed out of her leggings and mid-thigh dress to something a bit more active.   Light denim shorts paired with a fitted, graphic tee.  The gray of the shirt was just a shade darker than the shorts.  Ankle socks and gray converse completed the look.  She tied her auburn hair into a ponytail, keeping it out of her face.  She pocketed her cell phone, making sure she remembered it.  Kwangmi grabbed her Nikon F Apollo camera, placing cases of film inside her camera bag. 

The girl tromped down the stairs, calling out to her brother who was somewhere in the house.  “Kevin!”

Said boy stepped out of the kitchen, half of a sandwich in his hand, the other half in his mouth.  “What?” he asked around a mouthful of turkey, lettuce, and tomato.

“I’m going out,” she informed.  “I have my phone.  I’m meeting Minwoo at the park.”

Kevin swallowed before speaking.  “You’re going on another date with Minwoo?  I didn’t know you were that serious.”

“We’re not serious,” Kwangmi assured.  “We’re just going to the park so I can take more pictures.  That’s hardly a date.”

His eyebrows furrowed together.  “Will it just be the two of you?”

“I think so.”

“Is there going to be a chaperone?”

“Uh, no?”

“Is he going to pay for your stuff?”

“Well, I don’t plan on buying anything.”

“But if you do, and he’s willing to pay for your stuff, will you let him?”

“Well, sure.”

“Then it’s a date,” he said.  “I don’t like that.”

Kwangmi rolled her eyes.  “It’s not a big deal, oppa.”

“Yes it is!” he exclaimed, his fingers clenching around the remains of the sandwich.  He looked down at it gloomily, ignoring it for now as he returned his glare to his little sister.  “I can’t let some boy run around with my baby sister.”

“I’m not a baby, oppa!” she whined.

“You will always be a baby to me, Kwangmi.”

She huffed, annoyed.  “Look, Minwoo is waiting for me.  I’ve gotta go.  I promise to be careful.”  She turned to the door, sending a little wave to her brother before disappearing out the front door.

 

 

She took the bus to the park, rushing to the basketball court.  A lone figure stood, waiting, one hand in a pocket, the other holding some sort of object, the light glinting across the silver surface.  As she grew closer, she recognized it as a digital camera.

“Annyeong!” she greeted enthusiastically.

He smiled back at her.  “Annyeong.”

“You have a camera,” she gestured to the object he held in his hand.

“Eh, yes.  I thought I would try it out a bit, while you worked on your assignment.”

Kwangmi nodded.  “Okay.  Well, what is your theme?”

Minwoo shifted uncomfortably.  “Um, get better?”

Laughter bubbled out of Kwangmi’s mouth, spilling out into the warm, summer air.  “Let’s go with the elements and principles of design.”  Blank eyes was the answer Minwoo gave her.  “You know –line, space, shape, texture, harmony, balance.  You know, basic art knowledge?”  Nothing.  Kwangmi sighed.  “This might take a little lesson.  Come on, I hope you’re prepared to learn.”

She guided him through the park, lecturing him on the art of photography.  He was a studious learner, paying close attention, striving to understand the curriculum and applying them in his photography.  The standard of his picture taking increased rapidly.  Kwangmi, entirely pleased with him –and herself- complimented his success.

He blushed at her compliment, but his smile grew wider.  He mumbled a thank you –modest to a fault.  Kwangmi smiled at his riveted gaze on the camera as he rifled through the pictures he’d taken.  Slowly, inconspicuously, she brought up her own, angling it just so, adjusting the light exposure, and snapped a shot.  His head whipped up, hearing the click of the button and the flutter of the shutters.

“You didn’t.”  His voice portrayed his horror at what he believed to be the impossible.

“Oh, yes I did,” she confirmed.  “I’ll have to show it to you when it’s developed.”  His face paled, a depressing alternative to the pleasant blush that had stained his cheeks just moments before.  She playfully nudged his shoulder.  “Oh stop it.  There’s nothing I can do about it now.  Film, remember?  I can’t just delete it.”

He spluttered, trying to form words, but all that came out was a jumbled mess.  The blush returned.

“Let’s climb some trees,” she suggested, rather unexpectedly.  Kwangmi took the digital from his hands, placing both items at a base of a tree.  Jumping to the lowest branch, she wrapped her fingers around the rough bark.  She clambered up, reaching for the second branch before looking down at the stunned boy down below.  “Are you coming or not?”

He sprung into action at the prodding, easily reaching the lowest branch and hoisting himself up next to her.  “Why are we doing this?” he asked.

Kwangmi laughed.  “Why not?  We both need a break, and this is fun.  Why shouldn’t we climb some trees?”

He contemplated her response.  “Good point.”  A mischievous grin spread across his lips.  Kwangmi immediately fell in love with that smile.  “Let’s see who can get the highest,” he challenged.

“I accept that.  Loser has to treat winner to something.”

“What do they have to treat?”

A twinkle sparkled in her dark eyes.  “Anything the winner wants.”

“Deal.”  Minwoo’s heart rate increased at the stakes.  He could ask for anything if he won.  That was definitely something worth winning.

And they started climbing.  Branch after branch.  The twigs tugged at their clothes.  Bark scraped against their bare skin, but neither of them minded.  It wasn’t exactly a race, so they took their time, enjoying the strain in their muscles, the adrenaline of reaching higher and higher, each other’s company.  Kwangmi impatiently brushed her bangs out of her face as the strands got in her eyes, sticking in her lashes.  The air was warm and still, the sunshine streaming through the gaps in the tree’s foliage.  Minwoo kept pace beside her, stealing glances at her every so often.  Something about her care free smile made his stomach flutter with butterflies and made him smile as well.  Eventually, they neared to top of the tree where the branches thinned and trembled beneath their weight.  Neither worried as they stayed next to the tree’s trunk.  Kwangmi got ahead of Minwoo, always one branch above his head.  They were very near the top now, and as he stepped on the next branch to heave himself up, it quivered.  The sound of cracking wood made him step back down again carefully.  His hesitation did not go unnoticed.

“Minwoo, are you coming?” Kwangmi asked, looking down at him from her perch up above.

He tilted his head back to look at her, now more than a few steps away.  “The branch won’t hold.  It was starting to break just now.”

She pursed her lips in contemplation.  “Is there another branch?”

Minwoo glanced around, testing out a few other choice options, but none were good enough.  “I don’t think so.”  He looked back up at her.  “You win.”

She grinned happily.  “You know the conditions.”

“I have to treat you to something of your choice,” he recited.

“And you’re okay with that?”

He shrugged.  “I don’t have much of a choice there.”

“True.  You don’t.”  Kwangmi started climbing back down to join him.

As she brought her foot down on the last branch, Minwoo cautioned, “Watch out for that one.  It’s starting to break a-.”

Her foot landed and she placed her weight on it.  A loud snap cracked in ears as the branch gave way.