t w e n t y - o n e

Snapshot

One of Kwangmi's favorite things was a summer night storm. Usually, she would sneak past her brother to go play in the rain for a little while. She would get soaked, fill her nose with the scent of dry and wet mixed together, and splash from puddle to puddle with bare feet. This time, however, she was caught out in it. She was trying to take advantage of the overcast sky and take pictures when the heavens finally decided to open and release thier heavy load. It was just supposed to be a quick little trip, so she hadn't brought along her camera bag, but then she got lost and then it started to rain. Kwangmi didn't mind if her person got wet, but she would sooner get struck by lightning than ruin her camera. As a bolt crashed across the stormy sky, Kwangmi winced, regretting her choice in words. Focusing on covering the device in her hands with her jacket, the girl darted into a nearby grocery store.

 

 

Minwoo grumbled to himself, holding his hood in place so that the wind didn't kncok it off. Sometimes, he really hated being the youngest. The others bossed him around so much, telling him to do this, or do that. It didn't matter what kind of weather or the time of day. If something was to be gotten, Minwoo would be the one to fetch it. For example, at this moment, Minwoo had been ordered to buy ice cream and suksilgwa. At first, he had thought they were joking. The wind howled fiercely, storm clouds raged, sending down large rain drops that pounded against the walls and ceilings. But Youngmin had wanted his sweets, and that was the end of it. Minwoo had grabbed his rain coat -the wind was too strong for an umbrella.

He might be a whining dongsaeng, but if his hyungs ordered it, more often than not he would obey.

Which is how he found himself on the nearly deserted streets, with only the occasional insane person who can sometimes be found out in storms like this scattered here and there.

He finally made it to the grocery store and he shook as much water off of him as possible. Minwoo quickly found his desired items. It was a small place and there were only a few people loitering, obviously only seeking shelter from the miserable pouring outside. On his way to the counter, he passed a girl on the phone.

"I'll come home once the rain lets up a little bit," she said into her mobile. Something sounded familiar in her voice, but Minwoo was too focused in accomplishing his task to pay much attention to it. He paid for the treats using the money Donghyun had given him and then headed back the way he had come. The girl was still on the phone and this time something made him pause, slow his step just a bit...

"-but I don't want to get my camera wet, and you can never be too careful with film."

At this, Minwoo had to get a closer look at the medium-length brown hair, the curve of the left cheek, that familiar sing-song tone.

"Kwangmi?" The name was out before his brain could register it.

She turned at the sound, the name, the sound of the name spoken by the bewildered boy. When their eyes locked, her lips curved up, happily surprised.

"Oppa, you don't have to worry anymore. My super hero just arrived." She made to hang up, but something uttered on the other line caused her to pause a brief moment before she replied, "Minwoo-oppa, of course." And then with that, she did press the END button on her phone, ignoring any protests that may or may not have come out of her brother's mouth.

After exchanging stories of how the two had ended up in the same place, Minwoo invited Kwangmi over to Youngmin's house for an evening of fun -an invitation she graciously accepted. Minwoo, the gentleman he was slowly becoming, took the camera from her and wrapped it up in his jacket so as to keep it dry.  Kwangmi protested this, but Minwoo had already set out the door and her words were silenced. Together, they raced the few blocks to Youngmin's house.

 

 

"Hey guys! I'm back!" Minwoo called out. Then he added, "And I brought a stranded kitty!"

Kwangmi nudged Minwoo playfully, "Is that what I am now? A drowned cat?"

Minwoo grinned. "I believe my words were 'stranded kitty.'"

"Oh, so I'm a stray?"

The boy opened his mouth to speak, but someone interrupted him before he could begin.

"Minwoo! What have we said about bringing pets home? You can't just-" As Jeongmin rounded the corner, he cut himself short. His face softened from an expression of irritation to one of delight. "Kwangmi!" Jeongmin barreled into the girl, nearly knocking her down as he tightly wrapped his arms around her. The older boy glanced at the maknae and smirked. "I take it back. You can keep bringing pets if they're like this one."

"Yah! Get off her!" Minwoo demanded angrily, prying the prince off the girl. And he couldn't keep down the little twinge of jealousy pricking his heart. When he finally managed to detach the greasy flirt, he quickly handed Kwangmi her camera, already unwrapped from his jacket and completely dry. "Here you go, Kwangmi." Minwoo had to admit, he was slightly possessive when it came to this picture-taking fanatic. He didn't want anyone else touching her. He craved her attention. And he always wanted to slip his hand into hers and entangle their fingers, or wrap an arm around her waist and hold her closer to him and farther from everyone else. And sometimes, although more frequently as of late, he wanted to feel those expressive lips on his.

But for now, he would do whatever he could to keep those eyes on him.

She beamed up at him, relief and appreciation intermixing. "Thank you," she breathed out. And then she hugged him. It was slightly awkward, as she hugged him with one arm, cradling her camera between them. But it was sweet and she was adorable.

Too soon, she retracted and joined the others in the living room.

Minwoo followed, a smirking Jeongmin trailing behind.

 

 

The evening went well. Minwoo did everything he could think of to stay by Kwangmi's side, to make sure she knew he was there. And she was very aware, indeed. He was always there, on the outskirts of her vision. His was the touch on her arm, on the small of her back, shoulder, or hair. His was the voice whispering funny comments in her ear. And she chose to not think too much as to the reason why. She chose to simply enjoy for now and analyze later. When he offered to her home, she accepted. Why not, when it meant she could spend more time with him? Why not, when it meant more touches? Why not, when it meant he might giver her a long hug on her doorstep? Only good things could come from him walking her home.

Of course, she didn't expect the unexpected to happen.

Of course not.


So, what are your thoughts? I'm really curious as to what you guys are thinking. The whole reason why I'm posting my stories is to get constructive criticism. I want to get better. But it's okay to just fangirl, too ;P

Anyway, lots of foreshadowing. What are your thoughts about it? What do you think it means? This story is pretty predictable (or maybe I'm just saying that because I'm the one writing it and it's obvious to me), but I still want to hear what's going on in the minds of my readers. Do you like it? Do you dislike it? Are you confused? Is there anything I'm doing in my writing that upsets/annoys you? Please, let me know.

Thank you all for reading! I really appreciate it :)