t w e n t y - t w o

Snapshot

Only the brightest stars shone that night, the glow from the street lamps blocking out the majority of the brilliance of the heavens. The moon was a mere sliver of a grin, providing as much light as the stars. Few cars whizzed by as the two teenagers strolled along the cement sidewalk, occasionally blowing strands of her hair into her face. The warm air caressed their skin, causing the flesh to tingle.

Or maybe that was just an effect of their hands brushing -who knows?

Kwangmi had to admit she wasn't quite certain.

But what did it matter? What did any of that matter when Minwoo moved beside her, his dark eyes laughing, mouth curved upwards, teasing words spilling from his tongue? For once, she didn't get her camera out to document it. Even if the darkness provided less than favorable conditions, that wasn't what stilled her hands. It was selfishness. The expression on his face as he looked at her, like she was the only thing he cared to see in this moment, should only be reserved for her. She didn't want anyone to see this bit of Minwoo, this bit that was strictly her privelage.

Feeling characteristically gutsy, Kwangmi brushed her hand more deliberately against Minwoo's, but he ignored it, like they both have this entire time. But it didn't satisfy her. She wanted him to visibly notice her touch.

She did it again. A grin tugged at his lips, different from his smirk.

Her pinky finger slid down his. His eyes smoldered with excitement.

And that one little pinky finger danced soft, little steps across his hand, between his fingers. As if uncertain and timid. As if shy and fearful of the consequence.

But it was all an act that Kwangmi played -perfectly, because Minwoo didn't suspect. Perfect, because it did what she wanted.

Her hand retreated, as if losing courage.

Minwoo glanced at her, but she faced forward, not meeting his gaze. He glanced down at their hands, so tantalizingly tempting. He faced forward, as well, expression empty save for the light that burned bright in his dark eyes.

And his pinky reached for hers, curling around and locking in place. A grin spread across her face, teeth glinting white. He smiled, too, of success and the feeling of victory that manifested in the form of her pinky finger hooked around his.

They couldn't have known it wouldn't last long.

 

A figure, stalking in the shadows, continued to follow them, his prey. He WOULD win her back. Right now, she had just lost sight of what really mattered, of him and their glorious future together. But he would make sure she remembered. He would show her who was truly better.  He was going to wait until she was safely inside her home -a lady like her shouldn't see gruesome fights like the one he had planned for her devil. But when he saw their toying fingers he snapped, and his timeline moved up.

He slid out of the shadows, creeping up fast and silent. His fingers wrapped around the hunk of metal in his pocket, pulling it out.

Five steps. Three steps. One step away and swing. Thwak. The metal collided with the boy's skull, causing him to stagger. He didn't make any noise, and that brought cold fury to the predator's heart. He wanted the boy to cry and snivel and plead for mercy, to reveal what a weakling he was! Moonlight glinted off harsh metal during another swing, and she cried out. Kwangmi cried out.

Why was she crying?

It's the shock. The shock of seeing such brutality. He'd wanted to protect her from this, but his temper got the better of him. All because of this stupid boy who didn't give a care as to how he hurt her. This righteous attacker would set him straight. He pounded into the boy's head with the brass knuckles, black liquid that only shone crimson in the moon's grin splattered on the ore. Kwangmi tried to grab at him, yelling at him to "Stop! Stop! Stop!" And while he felt bad that she had to see this, he didn't regret the relish he felt when we saw the boy crumpled on the ground, pathetically trying to fight back.

After seeing this sight, Kwangmi wouldn't want this pitiful excuse of a male. She would return to her rightful place, at his own side. Everything would be resolved and he would make their relationship public. Then the world would know she was his!

A sharp pain erupted in his arm -the one that wasn't swinging. He yelled in fury, turning on who dared cause him such grief during his moment of triumph. Ready to strike, his arm dropped, heart falling to his shoes. Kwangmi glared back at him defiantly, spitting out a bit of blood -HIS blood- and wiping the saliva from her chin. He touched the tender area gently, feeling the bite marks, the traces of blood pushing out, the bruise forming.

How? How could she do that? To him? Why would she? Didn't she love him?

Hurt and feeling betrayed, the shadow sulked back into the shadows, cradling his arm.

 

Kwangmi didn't pursue the attacker. Instead, she rushed to Minwoo's side, cradling his head in her lap.

"It's okay," she sobbed, tears mixing with the sticky liquid oozing from the ripped flesh, coating Minwoo's face, matting his hair. "You're okay." Then she called for help, her anguished sobs ringing in the night.

But no one came.

She fumbled for her phone, pulling it out of her bag and pressing the only number she had on speed dial.

It rang thrice, and she feared he missed it, but at the last second his breathless voice came over the phone. "Yeah?"

"Kevin," she hiccuped, "You need to come. Minwoo's hurt and he needs to go to the hospital." Tears strangled as they surfaced and streaked her cheeks.

"Are you alright? Where are you? Kwangmi, what happened?" Urgent concern in his voice manifested his emotions and she knew her brother was coming unglued from worry over her.

'I'm fine," she assured thickly. "But Minwoo is really hurt. He's bleeding- Oh Kevin, there's blood everywhere." Kwangmi noticed his eyes were fluttering closed. "Minwoo, keep your eyes open," she demanded sternly. "Don't you dare lose consciousness on me."

She heard rustling on the other side of the phone. "I'm on my way, Kwangmi. Tell me where you are."

She obeyed, describing the street and the relative distance from their house. Within four and a half minutes Kevin was there, pulling the both of them into the car and racing to the emergency room. All the while, Kwangmi kept ordering Minwoo to stay awake just a little longer. He never responded, save for a few moans and groans.

"He's losing so much blood," she choked out. It was everywhere -on the leather upholstery of the seats, the carpet of the floor, saturating her clothes.

Bloodying her hands with a sanguinary stain.

It was the longest drive of her life.

 

 

 

 


 

Well, wasn't that just a bunch of butterflies and daisies? What did you think? Did it make sense or were you confused? I tried to make it as clear as possible, but I'm not sure how successful I was. Let me know and drop a few words!

I kind of hope you were screaming at your screen. What emotions did you feel? Did you feel anything at all? What are your thoughts? I kind of did something different and did the attack in the attacker's perspective. Was that a good idea? After getting into his head a bit, what do you think of our stalker-turned-attacker? He knows Kwangmi, but does Kwangmi know him? Just some thoughts to leave you with :)