Amusement Parks and Heartbreaks

His Glue

“An amusement park?” Kyungsoo gasps when they arrive, and his eyes glisten in happy anticipation.

Jongin nods and chuckles, his fingers intertwined with the latter’s.

“I take it that you like it?” he chuckles before pulling Kyungsoo along. He stops to hand over their tickets before pulling Kyungsoo past the park gates.

Kyungsoo nods, and he can’t even contain his wide grin. “What are we doing first? Rides? Food? Games?” He lists, his large eyes examining everything.

“You choose. I’m here for you,” Jongin replies, quickly giving Kyungsoo’s hand a soft squeeze, and Kyungsoo feels his face flush. He can only hope that his hands aren’t sweaty or something embarrassing like that.

But, being in the amusement park elevates Kyungsoo’s excitement, which in turn boosts his confidence.

“Rides!” he cheers, already running ahead. He pulls Jongin along with him towards the nearest roller coaster, and Jongin can’t help but grin in response because Kyungsoo is just too cute, especially when he’s excited.

It’s not hard for Jongin to keep up, but Kyungsoo’s already breathless when they reach the surprisingly short line simply from running that short distance. Without any words, Kyungsoo pulls the other up onto the ride before they settle in, and he chooses the seats right at the very front.

“Excited?” Jongin chuckles, looking over to the side at Kyungsoo who’s simply spilling joy from his seams, and he looks too cute for Jongin to stay hands off. He takes Kyungsoo’s hands in one of his own once the seatbelts are locked into place and he gives it a squeeze.

“Very!” Kyungsoo exclaims, and his eyes are simply gleaming. There’s a faint blush on his cheeks, but he hopes that Jongin will think that it’s from his excitement and not because of the other’s touch.

And then the rollercoaster begins to click forward, and Kyungsoo holds his breath in anticipation.

After the agonizingly slow climb to the top, Kyungsoo looks down right over the crest, and then something hits him in the chest. He really doesn’t know what it is exactly, because last time he checked he was definitely not scared of rollercoasters, or heights, or even the feeling of falling.

But it hits him hard, and he can feel the panic swelling in his chest.

Jongin must sense Kyungsoo’s panic because he gives his hand a squeeze.

“Hey, breathe, Kyungsoo, breathe. I’m right here.” Jongin comforts, and his voice is like soothing music to Kyungsoo’s ears. “Remember, this is fun. I’m right here. I won’t let you get hurt. I promise.”

For some reason, Kyungsoo’s surprised by the promise. He looks over, locking gazes with Jongin, and his heart calms again. He’s fine, and he smiles, because yes, roller coasters are fun, and yes, Jongin will never let him get hurt. He won’t.

And then the cart of their roller coaster is hurtling down the sharp decline, but Kyungsoo can’t seem to tear his eyes away from Jongin’s equally intense gaze.

They endure the whole ride just like that, but Kyungsoo feels like he’s in a trance. He’s simply lost in the expanse that are Jongin’s deep brown eyes, and when the ride ends, there are employees shouting at him.

“O-oh!” Kyungsoo exclaims in a brief panic, finally snapping out of his daze. “Sorry!”

When he stands, his knees are wobbly and he’s about to topple over before strong arms catch him around the waist.

“Careful there, Soo.” Jongin chides softly with a chuckle, and he practically carries Kyungsoo away from the metal contraption.

After a little while of walking, Kyungsoo’s confident that he can walk by himself.

“I’m fine now, Jongin.” Kyungsoo says, barely hiding his nervous stammers because his heart is racing rapidly in his chest. His arms are wrapped securely around Jongin’s neck as he’s carried in the other’s arms, and he thinks that nothing can really be better than this.

“Are you sure?” Jongin asks, and Kyungsoo feels the butterflies in his stomach hearing the sincerity and worry in the other’s voice.

Kyungsoo nods, and he takes a light step on the floor with the tip of his foot. Feeling the solid ground, he feels stable and he finally unwraps his arms from the other’s neck, reluctantly letting go.

“And thanks,” He murmurs, looking at his feet from embarrassment, “I really don’t know what happened up there. I mean, I never had any phobias or anything, so I’m really not sure what that feeling even was up there, and I’m glad that you were there because I can’t imagine what I would’ve done if I really had a panic attack, and you just have this way of calming me that I really appreciated and—“

Kyungsoo stops short when there’s a finger tucked under his chin to bring his gaze back up.

“Don’t thank me, Soo. I hate seeing you scared anyways,” Jongin admits softly with a smile, and he leans forward to peck at Kyungsoo’s lips. It leaves the shorter flustered and spluttering, so Jongin takes initiative, pulling Kyungsoo after him.

“Why don’t we play some carnival games?”

 

By the end of the night, Kyungsoo is smiley and satiated, and he’s walking closely hand in hand with Jongin. Over the course of the night, the younger has won him a big, brown teddy bear and given him several pecks and kisses on his forehead and square on the lips.

They’re walking towards the ferris wheel, and the lights glow and glisten magnificently in contrast against the dark veil of black of the night sky.

“It’s pretty,” Kyungsoo smiles, seeing the stars twinkle and shine.

“Just like you,” Jongin teases, and Kyungsoo feels another kiss atop his head.

Kyungsoo can’t deny that he loves Jongin’s kisses, because they make his heart flutter like never before, and they make the butterflies in his stomach churn. But the kisses and signs of affection confuse him. They’re far from actions that two friends would share, but Kyungsoo doesn’t think they’re dating. He’s a little naïve and traditional when it comes to relationships, and because there was no outright question from Jongin asking to be his boyfriend, Kyungsoo doesn’t think that they’re dating.

This problem is on his mind the entire walk to the ferris wheel, and all the way up to until they’re in their own carriage.

Before he knows it, he’s sitting on one side with Jongin, and his teddy bear is on the other. Kyungsoo’s head is resting on the other’s shoulder, and he feels a protective arm snake across his torso.

It’s perfectly romantic during the ride, but Kyungsoo can’t help but voice his worries.

“Jongin…?” he asks a little sleepily, because Jongin’s shoulder is just too comfortable.

“Hmm?” Comes the response, and he feels Jongin’s words get mumbled in his own hair, “What is it?”

“Do you…like me?” Kyungsoo asks vaguely, because he’s too scared to ask specifically.

Jongin chuckles.

“Of course I like you. Kyungsoo, you’re adorable, for one. I love the way your blush spans across your cheeks, or how you sometimes stutter when you’re nervous, or how you’re not perfect so that way I can weasel my way into your life by trying to help.” Jongin murmurs fondly, and Kyungsoo can’t help but smile. “And I love the way you naturally respond, not the way others act, when I play with you.”

That’s when Kyungsoo’s smile falls flat.

“Play?” he asks with a frown.

Jongin seems to be too engrossed in his pleasant thoughts about Kyungsoo, so he doesn’t notice the stagnating mood. “Yup, play,” he confirms, “I love playing with you, Soo. You’re so adorable in the way you react that I can’t even control myself sometimes.”

And then Kyungsoo’s pushing away rather quickly, unwrapping the arm from his waist. He puts as much space between their bodies as possible, and he feels like exploding and breaking all in the same moment.

“Play?” he asks incredulously again, and Jongin realizes the misunderstanding.

“No, not like that, Soo—“

“Don’t call me that!” Kyungsoo interrupts, and he’s shouting, something he rarely every does. His lower lip wavers as he fights the urge to cry. “You…y-you were just p-playing with me! N-no wonder you’ve been doing a-all those things. K-kissing me, and h-hugging me, a-and holding hands…”

Their carriage is nearing the bottom, and the ride is nearly over.

“I mean, w-we’re not just friends, but we’re not dating either! You’re just u-using me,” Kyungsoo stutters out, and the moment the carriage doors open, Kyungsoo bolts.

He runs off into the dark, and the commotion attracts a few glances. But, Kyungsoo’s too hurt to think clearly, and he just runs. His heart hurts as it pounds in his chest, and his lungs burn with every breath, but he runs home like it’s the only thing he knows how.

“Kyungsoo! No!” Jongin shouts as he watches the figure run off. But, it’s too late. He never had a chance to explain to himself what he meant by ‘play’. He wasn’t toying with Kyungsoo in a mean way, but in an endearing and loving way.

He feels the pitiful stares of strangers around him, and he feels embarrassed, but mostly sad because Kyungsoo had just run off. There’s a pang in his chest seeing the teddy bear left on the ferris wheel, but he grabs it. Walking home by himself, Jongin sighs and shakes his head.

It’s not a huge problem, he thinks, Kyungsoo can’t stay mad at him, right?