Missed Opportunity

His Glue

            Knowing that Kai was a Kingka, Kyungsoo was sure that he would never talk to him, even though they were in the same class, but strangely, he was both okay and uncomfortable with that fact. He was alright because there was nothing to be extremely sad about. But it bothered him as well. It seemed as if Kai was hiding something. Something that nobody else seemed to notice. Except Kyungsoo. He could see it. They way Kai would occassionally limp in the hallway. The way his smiles seemed so tired. Why couldn't anyone else see it?

 

----------------------------------------------

 

 

             It was a regular school day. The morning had come and gone, and now it was lunchtime. Kyungsoo took a seat between his new friends Joonmyeon and Baekhyun. Laughing at some little shared joke like they always did, everyone's heads turned when the cafeteria doors opened, the Kingka's strolling in yet again in their neat uniforms. The regular gasps and sighs of the fangirls followed until the three main Kingka's, Kai, Sehun, and Chanyeol all sat down. And as always, Kyungsoo's gaze seemed to linger before he tore his gaze away and back to his friends.

"What are you looking at?~" Baekhyun teased Kyungsoo like he did everyday. And Kyungsoo would reply the same way everyday with a sigh.

"Nothing." At first, Baekhyun got some better reactions from teasing Kyungsoo, but it died down.

"You know, he's never going to give you any other reaction." Joonmyeon noted, taking a sip of his orange juice.

"Hey, I can hope you know!" Baekhyun chuckled, his eyes sparkling slightly. Little did Joonmyeon and Baekhyun know about the plan Kyungsoo had in his head for today. It was a Thursday, Kyungsoo noted. And just on time, at 12:05 sharp, Kai got up and bid farewell to his friends, leaving the cafeteria. Just as Kyungsoo had expected. Making up an excuse, Kyungsoo slung his bag over one shoulder  and waved goodbye to Joonmyeon and Baekhyun before following Kai out the doors with something special in his bag. Maybe today was the day? The day Kyungsoo would make himself noticed.

 

 

-----------------------------------

 

 

Kai let out a sigh of relief as he left the cafeteria, and stuffed his hands into his pockets, walking quickly. It was Thursday. His favorite day. The day he would have the studio free to himself to do whatever. To finally be himself. A light smile curled on his lips as he quickly made his way up the stairs. This was his routine every Thursday, during every lunch period. Even if he missed out on a meal, to him, it was more than worth it. Little did he know that there was a wide-eyed boy closely watching him. Seeing how he skipped lunch. Seeing how he loved to dance. And most importantly, seeing the real Kai; seeing Kim Jongin, the tired and scared boy, not the perfect, handsome, and most desired man at school.

Kyungsoo dashed out of the cafeteria, hoping he didn't lose sight of Kai. Though he knew the other left to dance,  he never actually knew where the dance studio was in the school, let alone knowing they had one. He saw a back turn a corner and ran quietly, not wanting to alert the other of his presence. Why did Kyungsoo do this? Why had he found such an interest in Kai? Because he saw something that nobody else could see, and he was determined to help. There was no direct reason he felt this way, but for now, he just labeled it as his 'motherly' instincts wanting to care for a dongsaeng.

And so, there he was. There Kyungsoo was, standing just outside the door. And inside the room was Kai, dancing beautifully. At least, in Kyungsoo's opinion as he watched from the window. The cute little lunch box was in his now sweaty palms as his free hand hovered just above the door knob. "What are you waiting for?" Kyungsoo muttered to himself, wondering why he was hesitating so much. He had meticulously planned this with confidence from the beginning, so why was he so unsure at the last second? Some voices down the hallway made Kyungsoo freeze with fear. Exactly why he did - Kyungsoo had no idea, but he did. His already large eyes widened as he tried to make a decision.

And as the voices neared the room Kai was in, Kyungsoo was no longer standing outside, but neither was he inside. Instead, he was around the corner, trying to listen closely, though the sound of his heart pounding in his ears blocked everything out. And as it turns out, the voices belonged to Sehun and Chanyeol. They stopped at the door, walking in casually. They  must have known how Kai loved to dance. And by the way they so easily strolled in, they must've done this often. Kyungsoo could hear a few laughs after the voices greeted eachother, and he bit his lip. Looking at the Pororo lunchbox in his hand, he frowned. He missed his opportunity today. Sighing, he reluctantly trudged away from the melodious voice of Kim Jongin, muttering one thing over and over to himself.

 

"Next time."