Remembrance

Entangled by Love

*Mina

 

I wake up at 7.00 AM, stretch and dress myself in sweats. Today is the first time I'm jogging around the campus, where I'll get the chance to explore more about what the campus has to offer. I quickly eat a banana, fill my water bottle and exit the dorm. Seeing the sun slowly rising makes me feel energized and refreshed. I start jogging and admire the beautiful scenery, it didnt take long before I bump into somone... hard. ''Ouch!'' I exclaim, rubbing my arm. ''Sorry about that,'' the guy chuckles. I look up at the guy and a remembrance crosses my mind. ''You, you're the jerk who made me fall on the crosswalk!'' I exclaim.

''Hey it was an accident! No need to call me a jerk for that,'' he mumbles and kicks a small stone out of the way which falls into a nearby pond.

''Oh fine,'' I mutter. There was a moment of silence, only hearing the birds chirping. ''My name's Young-bae,'' the guy finally says and smiles decently. ''Looks to me that you're new here,'' he says.

''Yeah I am, I arrived yesterday afternoon. I still haven't found someone to guide me around school yet,'' I admit, folding my arms. ''I can assist you,'' he offered.

''Wow, really? That's nice of you, can you show me around school during recess?'', I ask bubbly.

''Sure I can,'' he said after a moment of deep thinking. Another silence.

''Hey, do you know a guy who's tall and well-toned? He's serious and sort of doesn't want to get disturbed?'', I ask carefully.

''I know who you're referring to, Seung-hyun,'' he says.

''Has he always been like this?'', I ask curiously.

''To be honest, he wasn't like this before. Whenever I saw him, he would either be smiling or euphoric. He had a fun and bubbly personality, he was very comfortable to be around with. We were really close since elementary school but drifted apart at the end of high school. He didn't show up in high school for 3 months, that's when the summer vacation started. All of a sudden on the first day of college I saw him sitting in the class as I am in, but, as soon as I saw him, I knew he wasn't the same person as before. He looked... hard-hearted and didn't show any feelings. He didn't even glance at me. That's all I know,'' he admits. I look down and slowly nod.

My watch starts beeping and catches me off guard, ''Oh, I have to go now, see you later!''. I begin to jog and turn backwards, ''By the way, I'm Mina!'', I holler as I front myself and jog towards the dorm, thinking about Seung-hyun.

Do I dare to find out about his past?