Fifteen

A Wedding Ring

Ahra was pacing aimlessly in front of the hospital ward. She was upset because she’s not allowed in to see the state of her brother, the mother was sitting beside her with tremendous anxiety. Just like her, but the old woman was quieter. And how she could calm about it if she and the others are forbidden to enter, except the stranger that called Hyerin? Ahra can’t believe it, Hyerin was a nobody but why Kyuhyun kept calling her name even when he was in a state of unconsciousness as he is now. And the stranger that now have to accompany her brother to make sure he still there, and take care of Kyuhyun. Well, that's a message from the doctor to them.

“Ahra-ya,”

Ahra immediately turned toward her mother, her eyes implied a concern. She went to his mother and then her put her arms around the old woman's shoulder.

“Yes, Eomma?” Ahra asked softly.

“Kyuhyun will be fine, you don’t need to worry.”

Yes, if only her mother’s belief is also owned by Ahra. But in fact, she was not so sure. She tightened her embrace and curled up in the warmth of the mother, her eyes began to wet.

“Kyuhyun ... he had a lot of disappointments in his life, Eomma. I just don’t want the situation worsened after knowing all the lies that she did to him. This is just... outrageous.”

“I heard from Heechul that Kyuhyun is happy, and I was so relieved to hear that.” The mother said softly.

“So you mean, Eomma, you will let her be if she was doing all this to Kyuhyun?”

“As long as she can make my son smile, yes, no problem.”

“But it is a big problem for me, Eomma.”

“You're just too worried about him, Ahra.”

A man's voice, deep, and full of concern echoed in the hallway. Ahra looked up to see the owner of that voice. Heechul.

“And yet here we are seeing the results of all her pretense. My brother almost died, you know!?” Ahra shouted at Heechul. Her mother her shoulders, hoping her daughter to calm herself down before making a fuss in the hospital.

“He's fine, you know it.” Heechul still sounding calm.

The man crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the wall, facing the mother and Kyuhyun’s sister. While holding a cup of coffee he had just bought in the hospital cafeteria, he looked at both of them in turn and accidentally catch the sadness on the faces of Mrs. Cho and disappointment on the face of Ahra.

“You really don’t know what I mean because you never feel to be a big brother.” Ahra said.

A smile formed at the corner of his lips, “You just act like an overprotective mother to her son, you are always so against Kyuhyun.” He said before sipping his coffee.

“You—” Ahra almost lost her temper, but she tried to control herself and just said. “are unbelievable. You hadn’t changed at all, still annoying as I've known two years ago.”

***

He got a big problem in his brain. Trauma that he experienced made ​​him unable to distinguish between what is reality and illusion, and he was stuck in it. Neurological symptoms in his brain was already showing it when I checked it, as I told you, Ma’am, but in fact, he was fine. No one could have think that the reaction was caused by the symptoms which only occur when his brain pressure’s so intense, he was probably can not hold it anymore. That made his brain work hard and experienced fatigue. The confusion made him dizzy all the more, he fell unconscious shortly. That's my prediction, Ma'am. So, I hope that after this surgery, of course, if the family’s agree, Mr. Cho could be healed. It will take time, I hope you and the family can decide wisely.

The doctor’s explanation kept ringing in the head of Hyerin. Now, the woman was sitting beside the bed where Kyuhyun was lying unconscious. Her fingers intertwined with Kyuhyun's, she occasionally the back of his hand. When their wedding ring accidentally came into contact, her gaze quickly move from Kyuhyun's face to their hands. She could not hold back her tears anymore, she cried.

If only she was Han Baram, if only she was a woman who Kyuhyun loved, and if none of this had ever happened. But all has already occurred. She already loved this guy, she could not leave him in a state of suffering from trauma.

If she allows Kyuhyun’s surgery, then it most likely that Kyuhyun would recall what had happened to his wife. And worse, he will know that she’d lied to him completely. But, it’s not that her original purpose, is it? To make Kyuhyun recovered as he used to be and remember that his wife was dead, and he must remain to continue to live his life. Because many people who love him, they love him. And Hyerin also love him as the love of a woman to a man who makes her feel needed, appreciated, and adored.

No. The decision was not just hers, it was not hers indeed, because she was a nobody. Kyuhyun's family only has the right to determine whether he would do the surgery or not. And of course, they will approve it, it also meant that she had to get out of his life once Kyuhyun realized that she’s just a stranger who breaks into his life impudently.

She can not be a selfish for desired Kyuhyun to love her, she does not have the rights to it. Dissolved in love with her unilateral, Hyerin trying to get rid of all the pain away. She let go of her right hand from Kyuhyun's fingers, then gently his forehead. He's really handsome even in these circumstances, and Hyerin know that Kyuhyun is a strong man. Kyuhyun will be fine after surgery, like it or not, she had to give that up. And she had promised to accept any risk that she will bear when Kyuhyun knows all her lies, at least she'll try though most likely the outcome would hurt herself.

“Go home, Hyerin.”

Glanced, Hyerin found Heechul standing in the doorway. Behind him, she saw Mrs. Cho smiled at her even though it was a smile filled with anxiety. While beside her, not the slightest of Ahra showed her hospitality to Hyerin. Obviously she hated her, and still like that until this moment.

“Oppa,”

“You've been with him quite a while, and he also was not calling Baram anymore.” He came closer, then he patted Hyerin’s shoulder and he said. “After all, the doctor gave instruction that we take turns to look after him.”

“I'm fine, Oppa.” I want to make sure my husband was fine, and breathing, she was about to tell him. “Let me take care of him.” She said instead.

“You look tired, dear.” Mrs. Cho told her, she smiled pleasantly. “Kyuhyun would not be happy to see you like this when he wakes up.” She added.

Oh, right. If it was like going to happen when Kyuhyun realized then she will be very happy. Greeted with smiles and loving hugs. However, all of that is just a phrase that aims to make her taking a break. Mrs. Cho’s intent was simply being kind-hearted. Moreover, other than exhaustion that she felt, she had to tidy up the Kyuhyun’s stuff, Hyerin had no other choice. Nodded weakly, she got up from her seat and then bowed respectfully before headed to the door.

Just as Hyerin passed Ahra, that Kyuhyun’s sister whispered in her ear. “Or maybe Kyuhyun would not be happy at all to see you in the future, so you’d better not be around when he wakes up.”

***

Despite the fact that Hyerin feel offended, upset, or even angry with Ahra's statement, she can not do anything but lament the truth of the words that are not pleasant. Tightly clutching her chest, she wept.

“Baram-ya!”

Noises echoing throughout the house which is now seemed deserted. Hyerin who was packing Kyuhyun's clothes into a large bag shocked because of the noise, with rush she ran into the living room, wiping the rest of tears from her eyes. In the living room, she found Donghae, Eunhyuk, and Ryeowook were standing in front of the entrance.

“Oppa!” Hyerin exclaimed in surprise to see three men in suits approached her.

“Where is Kyuhyun? So quiet, it's a holiday, isn’t it?” Donghae commented, while others just shows their face full of wonder.

“Umm... that...” Hyerin stammered. “Kyuhyun’s in the hospital.” Hyerin replied haltingly.

Before they had time to show their surprise, Hyerin interrupted them by providing detailed explanations as to what had happened to that poor man. Then they dissolved in their own thoughts in quite a long time, so she had to cleared to return the mood.

“So, gentlemen, I hope from now on you don’t call me Baram anymore when Kyuhyun was not around. Now,” she said before turning around and walked towards the room to take Kyuhyun’s clothes. “I would go to the hospital to visit Kyuhyun. Are you guys coming?”

***

They do not intend to comment or argue when looking at the body of Kyuhyun who lay limp on the bed, he looked pale and helpless. Looking at the pathetic sight, again, for the umpteenth time since he was left by his wife, not only make the Cho family was sad but also the friends of Kyuhyun.

Donghae, Eunhyuk, and Ryeowook were now sitting around the bed. While Cho family are behind them, and Heechul embraced Hyerin's petite body. The woman was shocked after knowing the decision of the great family of Cho by giving permission to perform the surgery. How can she not? She wanted Kyuhyun healed, but on the other hand fears haunted her. The old fear were told that Kyuhyun would hate her to hell. It made her weeping in the arms of Heechul. While the others thought it was an expression of her anxiety. So, all prayed together for Kyuhyun's recovery. They hope that he wake up immediately and gave his best smile again to those who love him.

When the operation took place, none of them were calm. Of course anxiety will surrounds them, their minds also not immune from the fear. Hyerin, Heechul, Ahra, Mrs. Cho, Donghae, Eunhyuk, and Ryeowook, together bowed their heads and pray in front of the operating room. Hyerin believe Kyuhyun definitely could get through this all. He's a great guy, he's a strong man too.

Most people think Kyuhyun is the figure of a cold and heartless man, but in the eyes of relatives and close friends, Kyuhyun is a grown man with a child-like attitude. He's being childish when his desire is not fulfilled, all going on since he was a child. Strong on the outside, but vulnerable on the inside. That's Kyuhyun. For others, it is undeniable that he always showed coldness but it only happened after Baram’s death, before that, he was a friendly and understanding leader. All employees know it well.

The doctor came out a few hours later, and all waiting for the good news. They trooped over to the doctor with great anticipation, eyes that showed great expectations for Kyuhyun’s recovery.

The doctor had heaved a deep sigh before saying, "He survived, the operation is success. But as I said, the recovery really takes time. He will not be conscious until the recovery is complete, I suppose. "

Indeed, it takes time. Not that they can not afford to wait and take care of him, they just do not stand to see the deplorable state. Seeing Kyuhyun lying helpless in bed makes them want to cry , let alone Hyerin. She is the only one of the most shed tears after Kyuhyun's mother. Hyerin herself did not know if it's necessary, but her heart felt the extreme pain. Sure, she loved him and she did not how could she to see him suffer.

After the meeting, the three friends of Kyuhyun never come again to visit. Heechul told Cho family, including Hyerin, as to why they could not come. He said that as a businessman, they are required to always be present whenever the company needed them. Hyerin who has ever been on the side of Kyuhyun to listen to his complaints about his work seemed and now very understanding about it, while Ahra did not bother to care about their presence. The three of them wasn’t going to change anything, she thought.

***

Two weeks had passed, there are no signs indicating that Kyuhyun will be awake. Hyerin patiently accompanied him in the hospital, never went out of the side of Kyuhyun. She is the one who cleanse the body of Kyuhyun using wet towels each day, replacing his clothes, talking to him even though she herself doubted whether he could hear it or not. Like a real wife. The thought made her smiled in a mock involuntarily, she was a nobody. She's just an outsider.

The Doctor had said that the recovery of Kyuhyun’s brain's nerve does take a long time. Given that statement, Hyerin once again began feel scared. Does that mean that if his brain’s nerve is completely recovered, Kyuhyun will recognize everything? Realizing her lies? She's riled and could not think clearly if Kyuhyun recovered and found that she had been nothing more than a big liar. No, even worse is Kyuhyun could not forgive what she had done. It was however really slashing her heart.

The sadness is not only felt by his close relatives only, but when the employees who know this, they participate condolences. They often came to see Kyuhyun and gave encouragement to the Cho family. Hyerin’s quite touched by the sincerity of them, she nevertheless felt proud. It is a sign that Kyuhyun has treated all his employees well so they feel very lost without the presence of their boss in the office, especially with the current situation.

"Why aren’t you drinking coffee outside with me?" Heechul offered Hyerin to drink coffee with him. He began to worry about Hyerin own state, she did not even think about herself and busy taking care of other people instead. "I think it can make you relax a little bit." He added.

"I don’t feel depressed or anything, Oppa." Hyerin stated, her voice sounded a little hoarse and weak.

"But are you not tired of being in that position for two whole weeks? You don’t even intend to give a chance to others to take care of him."

"Ahra Eonni is busy with her work and you knew it."

True, Ahra has always came at every opportunity in between busy taking care of her boutique, but she will not be there long. Ahra came and look at the state of Kyuhyun just a few minutes, then she left to go back for her shop. It makes Hyerin inevitably be the only one who taking care of him, she may not rely on Mrs. Cho and Heechul. First, because she can not bear to see Mrs. Cho exhausted. Secondly, because Heechul also have a job to look after.

"Then why did you not ask me for help?" Heechul tried to discredit Hyerin with the question, making her give up her job at least once to Heechul to take care of Kyuhyun.

"And just abandoning your patients?" And Hyerin will be a stubborn woman, as usual.

Heechul's patience is not as big as a sea rock, but surely dwindling with every answer in Hyerin catapult. "You're really a stubborn."

"I am."

Heechul chose to come over Hyerin who had been turned her back, he was curious about her expression. Slowly, he walked over her then knelt in front of her. He saw the red eyes of the woman, her face looks dull and pale. Was she mad? Heechul shouted frustrated in his heart.

"For God's sake, Hyerin, you look so miserable." He raised his hand to touch her ​​cheek, it as gently as possible. He don’t have the heart to hurt more than he sees today. "You need rest, you don’t have to push yourself."

Hyerin shook her head weakly, "He's going to need me when he wakes up." Oh, how she wished it was really happening rather than told her to go.

Heechul almost desperate to make Hyerin obey his word, she's really stubborn and he can not change it. Got up, he opted out of the room. He needed some fresh air because Hyerin’s concern only made ​​him couldn’t breathe. He didn’t want to feel it and not supposed to be like that, but could he deny his own feelings towards Hyerin? Could he have the heart to betray his best friend? Arriving outside, Heechul sighed deeply and immediately throw away the thought from his head.

***

Ahra thoughts about the existence of three entrepreneurs who became Kyuhyun’s old best friends—Donghae, Eunhyuk, and Ryeowook—that they are not going to bring any difference is a big mistake. When Ahra had the chance to visit her brother, Hyerin's duties would be a little lighter. She could out-patient rooms to simply take some fresh air.

Just as Hyerin came out of the room, Donghae already appeared his nose in front of her . Followed by Eunhyuk and Ryeowook who are no less ridiculous and laughable. The three of them showed their boyish smile to Hyerin. Inevitably, she burst out laughing. It was beyond her will and without her knowing it at all until hospital visitors glanced at the four with a frown, astonished. Hyerin immediately covered with her palm to hide her laughter.

Without taking much time, they've made her laugh out loud. They just took her to the garden, lounging there, and then tell stupid jokes. And once again make her laugh.

Heechul is quite impressed and pleased with the ability of young entrepreneurs to make Hyerin’s mood better. From the distance, he could only shake his head as he grinned at the familiarity.

However, Heechul just dissolved into laughter of her happy in quite a while when someone tugged at his shirt with great impatience. He turned and was surprised only to see Ahra however asked him to go back to the inpatient room.

Something happened to Kyuhyun.

All including Ms. Cho gathered in that room. They looked at Kyuhyun impatiently, waiting for Kyuhyun’s reaction that would he showed shortly after he opened his eyes. However, what they got was a blank stare from the man.

"He was a little confused." The doctor who stood by the bed said. "Let him adjust to for some time."

At least he woke up.

The doctor immediately excused himself after making sure that no oddity going on on Kyuhyun. Everything sighed of relief to hear that.

Hyerin unceasingly grateful for the miracle, she whispered a prayer shortly after seeing Kyuhyun opened his eyes. Of course she could no longer hold back her tears, it flow down on her cheek once she saw him sat up in his bed.

Kyuhyun stared straight ahead, but his eyes showed that he was not fully aware of the surroundings. He was adjusting himself, the doctor had said. With a blank stare, he tried to regain his memory. Such are collecting shards of glass and put it back together. Eunhyuk repeatedly waved his hands in front of his face, he did not get anything but Kyuhyun who is still staring blankly ahead.

"Don’t make me wait too long, Kyuhyun. You made me bored." Eunhyuk commented, unaware that his words quite stupid and annoying.

Donghae had hit Eunhyuk’s head first to make him silent. "Let him recover himself, you stupid."

"I think he is back ." Ryeowook stated.

Sure enough, when they returned their gaze to Kyuhyun, he is winking many times. His expression could not really be explained, between confusion, fatigue, and... furious? How could he looked that furious shortly after he woke up from his coma?

Hyerin realize it faster than anyone else. Kyuhyun was looking at her with a look of disgust that can be seen. For God's sake, is the man in front of her began to hate her?

"Kyuhyun, this is Eomma, son."

Mrs. Cho were also aware of that, she immediately divert Kyuhyun’s attention to her but failed. It seems Kyuhyun's rage was on its peak. Oh, no. This is dangerous.

"Kyuhyunnie, Noona is here too." Ahra also trying to get his attention, and she's the same as the mother's failure.

"Go," Kyuhyun growled

***

~^^