Chapter 6

Cinderella

 

                Soohyun was nervous. He wanted to tell Jayne who he really was, but was deeply conflicted. Jayne seemed like the type of person who he could trust, but how would he know for sure?

                “Think, Soohyun…what are some ways to see if she knows about you? Ask her what kind of music she listens to…” Soohyun thought to himself.

                “Jayne…” Soohyun began.

                “Hmm?” Jayne replied.

                “Um,…just out of curiosity…what type of music do you listen to?” Soohyun asked as he reached for his cup of tea. He figured if he held the cup in his hands, it may help him keep from over-reacting based on her answer.

                “Well, all kinds really. I like pop, hip-hop/R&B, some rap…but that’s mainly limited to Eminem, and because I did live in the southern states in the US, I do like some country music.” Soohyun got a puzzled look on his face at Jayne’s description of country music. “Oh…let me guess…the last one you may not be familiar with…” Jayne giggled as she pulled out her iPhone. She searched through her iTunes list and started playing some Carrie Underwood. Soohyun listened to it and smiled.

                “That sounds pretty nice. What about music over here. Have you listened to any Korean stuff?” Soohyun asked as Jayne stopped the music and placed her phone on the coffee table.

                “Not really. My students talk about their favorite musicians or bands all the time. I guess it would be a good idea to listen to it to learn more Korean. I see some of the music videos on MNet every now and then. My work usually keeps me busy, though. I don’t have much leisurely time as I would like.” Jayne said, bringing up her legs to sit criss-crossed, leaning her back up against the side arm of the couch.

                “What type of musicians and bands do your students talk about?” Soohyun asked trying to pretend to be asking an innocent question, but in all seriousness he was wondering if she knew anything about U-Kiss.

                “Um…I don’t know if I remember all the names of the bands they mentioned. It depends on the students with the musical style they listen to. Big Bang seems to be popular. 2PM, 2NE1, F(x), Girls Generation, MBLAQ…that’s all I can think of from memory.” Jayne said, resting her hands on her knees.

                “Yeah, those are all KPop bands. Do you like listening to that type of music when you hear it?” Soohyun asked after taking a sip of his tea.

                “A lot of the songs are catchy and upbeat. I guess it depends on the song and the band.” Jayne said. Soohyun nodded.

                “She hasn’t mentioned anything about U-Kiss…I wonder if she knows anything about us?” Soohyun said to himself.

                “If you don’t mind me asking…how old are you?” Soohyun asked as a grin overcame Jayne’s face.

                “How old do you think I am?” Jayne said coyly.

                “Um…I don’t know…26?” Soohyun guessed. Jayne shook her head.

                “Close, but not quite. Higher.” Jayne said as Soohyun took a moment to think.

                “28?” Soohyun said cautiously.

                “I’m 29. But, I guess Korean age would be 30.” Jayne said searching his expression. “Why…is that bad?” She giggled.

                “Bad…why would that be bad? Nothing’s bad about it. It’s your age. But, this does make you my noona.” Soohyun said matter-of-factly.

                “Ah, so I’m older than you. You don’t look that young, though. If I had to guess, I’d say you’re in your mid-twenties.” Jayne said looking him over to guess his age.

                “Well, I’m 24, but my Korean age is 25.” Soohyun said as he finished his tea.

                “Well, that’s not too bad of an age difference, is it?” Jayne asked as she finished her tea as well.

                “No. Usually the males are the older ones in the relationship, though.” Soohyun said as he placed his cup on the tray. Jayne’s cheeks started to blush. “I have no problem with it. None at all. In fact, I prefer women my age or older.” Soohyun said as he scooted closer to Jayne.

                “Well, that’s good.” Jayne said as she rested her cup on the tray. When she turned back around, Soohyun’s face was inches away from hers. He gingerly reached out and cupped her face, bringing it closer to his lips. His lips covered hers once more, feeling the faint heat on her lips from the tea they had been drinking. Their mouths danced a slow tango as his body leaned towards hers.

                “Mew…mew, mew.” Jinx cried out, wanting attention. Soohyun and Jayne laughed and broke apart from the kiss, as Jayne picked Jinx up.

                “What’s the matter, Jinxy…not getting enough affection?” Jayne said as she placed Jinx on her lap in between her and Soohyun. Jinx playfully pawed at Jayne’s leg as Soohyun started to rub her head and back.

                “I’m sorry for doing this, Jayne. I should be heading back to my apartment. I don’t want to oversleep and miss my trip to the spa. I didn’t realize it’s almost midnight.” Soohyun said after he glanced at his phone.

                “No problem at all. Sorry I kept you out so late. I’m glad we were able to see each other tonight.” Jayne said as Soohyun gently got up from the couch. Jayne set Jinx in the middle of the couch as she got up to grab Soohyun’s coat. Soohyun slipped his shoes on and put on the coat that Jayne handed him.

                “I’m very glad I got to see you again, Jayne. Thank you for understanding my schedule. I hope the next time we meet won’t be so far away.” Soohyun said as he wrapped his arms around Jayne’s waist and drew her into a warm hug. He gently caressed her back as he kissed the top of her head. They pulled apart and he tilted her chin up towards his face. He gave her a butterfly kiss on her lips and caressed her cheek. “Josimhaeyo (take care), Jayne.”

                “Annyeong hi chumuseyo (good night), Soohyun.” Jayne said softly.

                “Jal jayo (sleep well).” Soohyun said as he gently kissed her forehead.

                “Send me a text so I know you got back to your apartment okay.” Jayne said as she gave him one last hug.

                “I will.” Jayne opened the door and Soohyun stepped out into the hallway. He gave a slight bow and then blew a kiss before heading down the stairs to his car. Jayne closed the door and sighed contently. She grabbed the tray on the coffee table and took it to the kitchen to place the cups in the sink. Once the cups were washed and the tray placed back above the fridge, Jayne gathered Jinx up in her arms and carried her to her bedroom. She placed Jinx in her cat bed and crawled under the covers to her bed, staring up at the dark ceiling. She was starting to nod off to sleep when her phone buzzed letting her know she received a text message.

            Jayne, I had an amazing time with you tonight. I made it back to my apartment. Will probably be at the spa for most of the day tomorrow, but I will try to text you later on in the evening. Sweet dreams – Soohyun

                Jayne smiled and quickly replied. Once the text message was sent, she put the phone on her nightstand and turned over on her side. It didn’t take long before she fell into a blissful sleep.