Chapter 3

Cinderella

 

                 Jayne was sitting on the couch in her apartment typing up her lesson plan of teaching her students English for the following day on her laptop. Her day at work had gone well. Jayne let her mind replay the events of her day. She couldn’t help but smile to herself. Somehow, she couldn’t get the image of Soohyun out of her head. She was surprised that she got a text message from him, but very happy that he did contact her. He said he was going to call her later on in the evening. It was close to 9pm and she hadn’t heard anything from him, but she was sure he was probably busy. If he called she would be happy, but if not…well, there was always the next day.

                “Why am I so worried about him calling me? I need to focus on my lesson plan.” Jayne thought to herself. A silly grin appeared on her face. “Boy, I bet he probably thinks I’m such a klutz. I wonder what he thinks about me? Well,…the fact that he sent me those text messages is a good sign…right?” Jayne let out a sigh and stared at her computer screen. She didn’t know if she’d be able to focus any more on her lesson plan with her mind daydreaming. So, Jayne decided to take a break and walked into the kitchen to fix herself some tea to soothe her over-active brain.

***

                Soohyun and the other members of U-Kiss were grabbing a late dinner. The radio interview had gone well and they were very excited about telling their fans of their new single, Believe. While the members were waiting for their meals, Soohyun looked at his phone and noticed that it was getting late.

                “I should send Jayne a text message before it gets too late. I told her I would call her tonight. I don’t know how late we’ll be here at the restaurant, so it’s now or never…” He said to himself.

                “Hey guys, I need to go to the restroom. I’ll be right back.” Soohyun said as the others nodded and went back to their conversations. He walked into the restroom and went into a stall to have some privacy. After locking the door to the stall, he sat down on the toilet fully clothed and brought up the screen to send Jayne a text message.

            Jayne, I’m so sorry I’m just now texting you. I’m eating a very late dinner with my roommates. We’re out at a restaurant, so I don’t know how long we’re going to be here. Just wanted to send you a text and let you know that I didn’t forget about calling you tonight. Hope you’re doing well.

                Soohyun sent the text and rested his face on his hands. Since he was sitting down, his body was starting to ache from the intense dancing he had done just a few hours before. He closed his eyes and hoped that Jayne would respond back to him soon.

***

                Jayne was sipping on her cup of tea when she heard the notification from her phone of an incoming text message. She set her cup on the coaster on her coffee table and picked up her phone. Opening up the message she read it silently and a humungous grin came over her face. She bit her lip and hugged the phone to her chest as she drew up her legs to sit criss-crossed on the couch.

                “Goodness…what do I write back? I don’t want to look like I’m too desperate. I’m so happy he texted me, though. This is a good sign. I’m happy to be making new friends.” Jayne thought to herself. But, for some reason, she was secretly hoping that she might eventually become something more with Soohyun.

            Hi Soohyun. Thanks so much for texting me. Please enjoy your dinner and time with your roommates. Hope your day at work went well. I’m writing my lesson plan for my students for tomorrow. Just send me a text when you’re done and if I’m still awake I’ll reply back. If not, have a great rest of your night. ;)

                “There, that should sound good enough…” Jayne said to herself after she sent the text.

***

                A few minutes later, Soohyun’s phone vibrated to life. His eyes lit up as he saw it was a text from Jayne. After he read it, he breathed a sigh of relief seeing how understanding she was of his situation.

            Thank you for understanding. I hope I get to talk to you tonight before it’s too late. Take care and hope to talk to you soon. ^-^

                Soohyun stepped out of the stall and slipped the phone into his pocket. He quickly washed his hands and glanced at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. His stomach growled noisily, waking him up out of the daze he was in. He started to head back to the table where the other members were to dig in to the bibim bap that he ordered.

                As soon as Soohyun sat down at the table, the food arrived and the guys eagerly started eating. Halfway through eating his meal, Soohyun started to daydream about what his phone conversation with Jayne would be like once he returned back to his apartment.

                “Soohyun…Soohyun…I swear, we must have worked our hyung too hard today.” Kiseop said as he waved his hands in front of Soohyun’s face.

                “Well, I sure hope he catches up on his sleep tonight. He probably will since he seems to be daydreaming right now.” Hoon said as he snapped his fingers near Soohyun’s ear. Soohyun slowly came out of his daze when he heard that sound. He looked around the table and saw all of U-Kiss staring at him.

                “Is everything okay? You sure have been acting strange today…” Eli said as Soohyun started to blush. He noticed everyone else had finished their meals, but his was barely touched.

                “Fine…just had a long day, that’s all. I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you guys were already done eating. I’ll hurry up and finish.” With that, Soohyun started shoveling his meal into his mouth noticing that it was lukewarm from sitting so long.

                “Well, don’t rush on our account. It’s not often that we get the chance to sit down and enjoy a meal out. Take your time and enjoy.” Kevin said as the others decided to order some dessert while waiting for Soohyun to finish his dinner.

                Half an hour later the guys of U-Kiss were in the company’s van being dropped off at their apartments. Soohyun, Dongho, and Hoon walked into their apartment exhausted from a long day’s work. Dongho went to the bathroom to brush his teeth before going to bed, while Hoon logged onto his laptop to browse on the internet and update his status on Twitter. It was almost 10pm and Soohyun was worried about texting Jayne so late at night. Would it be too late to talk to her? He decided to send a quick text to her and hoped she would still be awake.

            Hi, Jayne. So sorry I’m texting you this late. I hope you’re still awake. If so, did you want to chat for a few minutes on the phone? – Soohyun

                Soohyun rubbed his eyes as he relaxed on the couch. He hoped he didn’t drift off to sleep before she replied back. A few minutes later his phone vibrated noisily on his lap. He instantly got a burst of energy as he opened the text message from Jayne.

           Actually I am still awake. If you want to call me, I can talk for a few minutes. I do have to go to sleep soon since I have to get up early for work tomorrow.

                Soohyun stared at his phone for a few minutes before he was able to press the button to call Jayne. His heart started beating rapidly and his mouth went dry as he put the phone up to his ear. The phone rang three times before it connected.

                “Yeboseyo (Hello).” Jayne answered as Soohyun’s stomach flip-flopped.

                “Annyeong (Hi), Jayne. S-sorry I’m calling so late. How are you doing? Did you finish your lesson plan for tomorrow?” Soohyun said as he ran his fingers thru his hair.

                “Ye (Yes). How was your dinner?” Jayne replied, as she stretched out on her couch.

                “It was good, thank you. How was the rest of your day? Good, I hope.” Soohyun asked, walking to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water for his dry throat.

                Dongho walked out of the bathroom and heard Soohyun’s voice in the living room. “Who is he talking to on the phone at this hour?” He thought to himself as he slid up against the wall, trying to make himself unnoticeable.

                “It was great. I’m glad you texted me. I didn’t know if you were going to hate me for being so clumsy this morning. I hope I didn’t ruin your shirt.” Jayne said as Soohyun took a sip of water.

                “Not at all. Nothing that won’t come out in the washing machine. Like I said this morning, don’t worry about it. Listen, I know we don’t know each other that well, but I would like to grab a cup of coffee with you. I don’t know what your schedule is like and I have a pretty hectic one, myself. But, if you want to…”

                “That would be great. I’m still getting used to living here in Korea, so I appreciate the offer.” Jayne said excitedly.

                “Awesome. Well…when did you want to do that?” Soohyun asked as he paced nervously in the kitchen.

                “Doesn’t matter to me. What works for you?” Jayne asked, twirling a strand of hair around her finger.

                “How about this weekend. That way we have a little bit more time to chat. Is Saturday morning good?” Soohyun said as he went back into the living room to sit on the couch.

                “That works out perfectly. I look forward to seeing you again.” Jayne replied.

                “Well, I’ll make sure to keep in touch with you until then. I’m exhausted…I’m going to go to bed. Have a great night and I’ll talk to you soon.” Soohyun said as Dongho walked into the bedroom he and Hoon shared.

                “Hey, Hoon…you will not believe what I just heard.” Dongho said as he sat down on Hoon’s bed. Hoon looked up from his laptop.

                “Hmmm? What did you hear?” Hoon asked.

                “Well Soohyun was talking on his phone. He said he wanted to meet someone for a cup of coffee. I think it was a girl he was talking to…” Dongho said as Hoon looked at him in disbelief.

                “Are you sure? Well, that might explain why he was acting so strange today. Guess we’ll find out soon, huh?” Hoon said as they heard Soohyun walking in the hallway. Their door opened and Soohyun looked at the two of them.

                “I’m heading to bed. What are you guys up to?” Soohyun said as both guys acted as if they hadn’t been talking about him.

                “Nothing much. I was just surfing the ‘net and updating my Twitter.” Hoon said matter-of-factly. Dongho got up and lay in his bed to avoid having to explain himself.

                “Okay. Sleep well.” Soohyun said and closed their door as he walked to his room and crashed on his bed. He was too tired to change into his pajamas. He turned off the lamp beside his bed and stared up at the ceiling with a big grin on his face. He would definitely be sleeping well tonight.