Chapter 18

Cinderella

 

               Three days had passed since Soohyun had seen Jayne on Thursday morning. He couldn’t even count how many times he had glanced at his cell phone, hoping that she would call or text him. Work had kept him busy on Friday and for the first half of Saturday, but it was now Sunday and the guys had a day to relax before going back to their crazy schedule for the upcoming week. Soohyun decided to text Eli and see what he was up doing for the day.

                Hey, Eli. Have any plans for today? I need to meet up with you.

                Soohyun lay in his bed waiting for a response back. A few minutes later his phone buzzed to life.

                Don’t have anything important planned at the moment. Everything okay?

                Soohyun sighed as his fingers quickly tapped away at the message back.

                Was thinking of heading to the studio today to work on a song. I haven’t told the others because it’s a song I’m writing for Jayne. I could really use your help with lyrics for the rap. Can you help out?

                Soohyun glanced at the notebook lying beside him. It was opened to a page where he had started to write some lyrics. Some of the Hangeul was scratched out. It was a rough draft with sentences here and there that would pop into his head.

                Sure. How soon did you want to meet? Have you talked to manager hyung about needing studio time?

                Soohyun was hoping that he’d be able to have access to the studio today. He really needed a distraction to keep him from climbing the walls.

                Not yet. I was texting you first to see if you could help out.

                He closed his eyes and prayed that he would be able to get a hold of his manager. He was getting the urge to put all of his heart and soul into these lyrics and didn’t want to see that moment pass him by.

                I’d be happy to help you. Call me after you talk to manager hyung. If we can’t get studio time, you can always come over here and we can work on the lyrics together.

                Exiting the message screen, Soohyun opened up his contacts folder and located the entry that held his manager’s phone number. He hit the button to make the call and listened to the ringing of the phone.

                “Yeboseyo (Hello)?” His manager answered.

                “Annyeong haseyo (Hi), manager hyung. I was wondering if it would be okay if I could go to the recording studio today. I believe I have an idea for a song.” Soohyun said.

                “Really? That’s great. Is it just going to be you or are the others joining as well?”

                “Eli said he would help me out with the lyrics for the rap part, but I haven’t told the others, yet. I was going to see what Eli and I can come up with before laying down the final recording. Just needed some beats and music to put to the song that’s stuck in my head.” Soohyun said as he stretched out on the bed.

                “Not a problem. I’ll make a call and see about someone being there to give you access. Were you going to be leaving soon?” His manager asked.

                “If that’s okay with you, manager hyung. I don’t know how long we intend to be there, so the sooner the better.” Soohyun said.

                “Sounds good. I’ll have someone be there within the hour. Have fun and let me know how it goes.” His manager said and then hung up.

                Hey, Eli. Manager hyung said that it will be okay for you and I to record at the studio today. Someone will be there within the hour. I’ll come pick you up. I’m going to grab a quick shower and then I’ll be over.

                Soohyun sent the text and made his way into the bathroom to get ready.

 

                Ten minutes had passed and Soohyun was drying off his hair with a towel after putting on his new outfit for the day. He decided to check up on Hoon and Dongho and see what they had planned for their afternoon. Walking into the living room, he saw the both of them sitting on the couch with thick manuscripts in their hands.

                “Hey guys. What’s going on? Anything interesting planned for today?” Soohyun said as Hoon and Dongho looked up at him.

                “Nothing too crazy. Hoon and I are reviewing our lines for HolyLand. We’ll act them out momentarily and depending on how long that takes, we might go to the gym and work on the martial art moves and squeeze a workout in.” Dongho said as Soohyun draped the towel around his neck.

                “What about you, Soo? You look like you’re about to go out somewhere.” Hoon said as Soohyun nodded.

                “Yeah, I am actually. Gonna hang out with Eli for a bit.” Soohyun said, hoping they wouldn’t ask him to elaborate. He didn’t like going to the studio without them, but this song was personal and he wanted to have his own input towards it instead of from the group.

                “Cool. Well, I guess we’ll see you later then.” Dongho said as Soohyun nodded and turned around to hang the towel back up in the bathroom. Hoon and Dongho went back to reading their scripts. Soohyun made sure to grab his notebook with the song lyrics and a few moments later was heading out the door to his car. After picking up Eli, they both headed to NH Media studio to work on a possible single or song that Soohyun could sing just to Jayne. Twenty-five minutes after picking up Eli at his apartment, Soohyun was guiding his car to the back parking lot of the studio building. Once Eli and Soohyun exited the car, they went to the back entrance and entered the pin code for afterhour’s access. They both took the elevator up to the floor with the recording studio and walked down the hallway until they reached the door. Eli knocked on the door and it opened up. Soohyun and Eli greeted and bowed to their studio producer.

                “Welcome guys. How’s it going? So I hear that you have an idea for a song, Soohyun? Why don’t you guys pull up a chair and let me know what ideas you have.” The producer said.

                “Well, I haven’t written the song completely. I just have a few lines here and there. I brought Eli with me to see if he can come up with the parts for the rap. Here’s what I have so far.” Soohyun said as he handed over the notebook. The producer looked over the page and put his fingers to his lips.

                “So, tell me the concept that you’re looking at for this song. What is making you write these lyrics? I want to make sure that I am on the same wavelength as you.” Their producer said as he grabbed a pen. He flipped to a blank page and gestured if he could rip it out. Soohyun nodded. Once the page was separated from the notebook, he placed it to the side of the page with the lyrics to start jotting down the direction the song would go for recording purposes.

                “Can I ask for your honest opinion on this? Will you promise to not let it leave this room?” Soohyun asked as the producer nodded. “I recently started talking to this amazing woman. We hit it off and things were going really well. Unfortunately, she found out who I really was before I could tell her. It threw her off guard and I think it may have scared her off. She said she needed some time to think and I wanted to write this song to prove to her that I can be the man that she’s looking for.”

                “Kind of like her prince charming, huh?” The producer said.

                “Yeah. Exactly. I don’t know what she’s going to say when we see each other again. I can’t force her to be with me, but I want her to know that I’d do anything for her.” Soohyun said as all three of them looked over the lyrics written on the page.

            I won’t let you go
            Don’t worry about anything, I just want you
            What more is there to hide? Stop hiding
            Because I’m the person who knows you better than anyone else
           

                “I like these lyrics a lot, Soohyun.” The producer said as he scanned over the remainder of the page.

           Like the twinkling stars in the sky
           You are more dazzling than anyone else
           Don’t leave me, don’t go, don’t try to block me anymore

              “Eli, do you have any ideas for the rap part, yet?” Their producer asked as Eli glanced over the lyrics once more and jotted down a line or two in response. “What kind of style do you want the song to sound like?” Soohyun sang a few bars of what was buzzing around in his head. Pulling up the program on the screen for beats and musical instruments, their producer started playing short clips and looking at Soohyun and Eli to see if they liked the different samples. “Alright, so here’s what I’ve got floating around in my head right now.” Their producer said as all three of them huddled over the blank piece of paper. The trio got to work and started to see the song come together piece by piece.