Chapter 10

Cinderella

 

                “Hey Jayne. I didn’t think I’d be hearing from you this soon. What’s going on?” Eli asked as he lay on his bed.

                “Eli, I’m so sorry for calling you so late. I know we don’t know each other that well and you just gave me your number today, but I need to see you. It’s urgent.” Jayne said, hoping Eli would understand.

                “Is everything okay?” Eli asked, noting the seriousness in her voice.

                “No, it’s not. Is it okay if we meet up? I have some questions I need to ask you.”  Jayne asked.

                “Did you want to come over my place? I can’t come over to see you because I’m allergic to your cat.” Eli said. Jayne agreed and he gave her the address to his apartment. She quickly scribbled it onto a piece of paper to plug into her GPS and hung up the phone.

                “Remain calm, Jayne. You don’t want to get into an accident on the way over to Eli’s apartment. Save your emotions for when he starts explaining everything to you.” Jayne said to herself. She grabbed her purse and slipped on her shoes before heading out the door. Glancing at the clock on her car stereo, the time displayed 8pm. Jayne hoped she hadn’t freaked Eli out. She had to get answers to her questions. A million thoughts were flying at breakneck speed in her head, and she didn’t know which ones to process first. Driving to his apartment seemed like a blur. The only thing that kept her focused on her journey was the female voice from her GPS that was giving her directions. Forty minutes later, she arrived at Eli’s apartment. Turning off the engine, she rested her head gently on the steering wheel. Taking a deep breath, she unbuckled her seat belt and stepped out of the car. After locking it, she made her way up to the fifth floor, gripping on to the stair case which each step. Jayne finally reached Eli’s apartment door and knocked. A minute later, Eli opened it with a smile on his face, but it quickly faded when he saw the state of Jayne’s body. He immediately wrapped his arm around her and brought her in his apartment. He guided her to his couch and sat her down.

                “Jayne, is everything okay? You look awfully pale.” Eli said as Jayne sat their motionless. Her eyes looked glazed over and staring off into space. He waved his hand in front of her face and it took a minute or two for her to look up at him. “Jayne…you’re scaring me. What’s going on? Can I get you something to eat or drink? Did you need some medicine? Are you feeling sick?” Eli asked as he took his hand and placed it on her forehead.

                “Did you have something to drink?” Jayne asked after a few moments of silence. Eli nodded.

                “Anything in particular?” He asked.

                “Doesn’t matter. I just need something to keep my mouth from going dry.” Jayne said as she scooted over to the corner of his couch. She removed her shoes and placed them up against the couch. Eli came back into the living room with a soda. Jayne took two swigs and lifted her legs up to rest against her body. Eli carefully sat down on the opposite end of the couch, watching Jayne intently; waiting for her next move.

                “Did the soda help? Do you need me to get anything else for you?” Eli asked as Jayne shook her head ‘no.’

                “I guess you’re wondering why I’m here…” Jayne said, looking down.

                “You can say that…” Eli answered.

                “Eli…I…” Jayne looked up at him and saw him staring at her. She quickly looked away. “Were you trying to hint at something earlier today at lunch about Soohyun?” Jayne asked. She gazed back at him and saw a confused look on his face.

                “What did I say? Refresh my memory.” Eli said as he tried to remember what Jayne was referring to.

                “About how Soohyun may not have told me everything about himself. That he may be waiting for the right time and place to tell me certain things…” Jayne said slowly as Eli was still trying to piece the puzzle together.

                “I guess it depends on what you’re referring to. Why do you ask?” Eli said as Jayne started playing with the bottom of her t-shirt.

                “Eli…who are you and Soohyun? Really, I need to know…” Jayne asked searching his eyes for the truth. Eli looked into Jayne’s eyes, trying to decide what to say next. Silence filled the room and Jayne pulled out her phone. She opened up the folder that contained pictures and handed the phone to him. Eli glanced at the picture on the screen and put his hand over his mouth, trying to form the words he would say to explain himself.

                “So, I guess Soohyun didn’t reveal that about himself.” Eli said quietly as he handed Jayne back her phone. “In answer to your question, Soohyun, myself, and five other guys are in a KPop band called U-Kiss.” Jayne let out a deep sigh. She grabbed the can of soda and took another swig and set it back down on the coffee table.

                “I see…” Jayne said as she ran her fingers through her hair.

                “Are you upset? If it helps, Soohyun wanted to tell you. He didn’t know if you knew who he was or not. You’ve got to understand, Jayne, we’re not used to having casual friendships or relationships with a lot of females. Most of them are fans, and especially with our crazy schedules, we usually don’t get personal time to spend with females we may be interested in.” Eli said.

                “Am I wrong for feeling this way?” Jayne said, more to herself, but loud enough for Eli to hear.

                “How do you feel?” Eli asked softly, trying to pry the answers out of Jayne.

                “Shocked mostly. Confused. A bit hurt…” Jayne said honestly.

                “It’s completely understandable. There’s nothing wrong with feeling that way. But, do you understand why Soohyun didn’t tell you?” Eli asked as Jayne looked up at him.

                “Well, I’m still trying to piece everything together. I take it you guys are pretty popular, huh?” Jayne asked as Eli nodded.

                “We weren’t at first. It wasn’t until after our second album that we finally were getting recognized. Now, we can’t go out most places without fans following us. Hence dressing up in normal clothes, hoodies, baseball caps, and sunglasses.” Eli said.

                “Oh…” Jayne said as her mind played the scene in her head of Soohyun handing her his coffee cup on their walk at the Han River to put on his sunglasses.

                *(flashback)  ”You mind holding this for a moment?” He asked Jayne as he handed her his coffee cup. She grabbed hold of it and Soohyun put his baseball cap on and raised the hoodie up over it. Then he placed his sunglasses on his face and smiled at her as he took his drink back. “I hope you don’t mind my getup.” Soohyun said nervously.

            “Why would I mind?” Jayne asked puzzled.*

                “Come to think of it, I’m starting to remember how Soohyun tried to hide it. I feel horrible now.” Jayne said hanging her head.

                “Wae? (Why) You didn’t do anything wrong. Please understand, it’s not easy for us to trust just anyone with this information. Soohyun had no intention of hurting you. Do you believe me when I say that?” Eli asked, gently tilting up Jayne’s chin so she could look at him.

                “I know he didn’t. I just wish he was able to tell me sooner instead of me finding out the way I did.” Jayne said, looking into his eyes.

                “Trust me, I know it was his intention for him to be the first to tell you. So, how do you feel now? Any better?” Eli asked gently, trying to get a feel of Jayne’s emotions.

                “A little. But, what happens now?” Jayne asked, still confused.

                “How do you feel about Soohyun?” Eli asked seriously.

                “Honestly?” Jayne asked as Eli nodded. “I’m crazy about him. I haven’t felt this way in a long time. He’s all I think about day and night.” Jayne said as a blush started to come over her face.

                “Want to know a secret?” Eli asked as Jayne nodded. “Soohyun feels the same way about you. Jayne, it took him a while to confess about who you are. I actually think I’m the only one he’s told out of the group. But, ever since he told me about you, he has NOT stopped singing your praises. No offense, but I sometimes wish there was a mute button with how much he was talking.” Eli said as Jayne started to giggle.

                “Really?” Jayne asked. Eli had a goofy grin on his face. The tension in the air started to dissipate.

                “I wouldn’t lie about something like that. You are one lucky woman, Jayne. Soohyun will shower you with nothing but love and affection. He’s very romantic. He’s extremely protective, too.” Eli said matter-of-factly.

                “You think he would want to be with someone like me?” Jayne asked meekly. Eli looked at her as if she grew another head.

                “Um…why would he not?” Eli asked dumbfounded.

                “I don’t know…” Jayne mumbled.

                “Jayne, seriously? You guys are perfect for each other. You provide him the comfort and security that he needs. You’re not some crazy fan that’s going to squeal and go insane every time she sees him. You were fortunate to get to know him the way you did. You know him as Shin Soohyun, not as ‘Soohyun from U-Kiss.’ There’s a major difference. Do you understand what I’m talking about?” Eli asked as Jayne nodded.

                “I do. I’m honored that he felt comfortable to share his true self to me.” Jayne said.

                “Exactly. Does this change your perspective on how you view him?” Eli asked. “Because in all honesty, that is the one thing he was so afraid of. Can you put yourself in his shoes and see why he’d feel that way?” Jayne grew silent as she let Eli’s words penetrate into her brain.

                “Absolutely. I would be scared, too if I were him.” Jayne said, sighing.

                “Don’t get me wrong, I know this is a humungous pill for you to swallow. There’s a lot that comes with dating a KPop idol like us. I’m not trying to be cocky by any means. But, you know there are going to be challenges that come with being in a relationship with Soohyun, right?” Eli asked as Jayne got a concerned look on her face.

                “Such as???”

                “Well, the fact that you guys have been able to communicate so far is a very good sign. I’m sure you’ve already seen the craziness in our schedules. Depending on if we’re promoting a new song or on tour can limit the time you guys spend together. Whenever we have free time, most of it is spent resting. There’s always the possibility of paparazzi. However, the thing that you should be concerned with the most are saesang fans. Those girls are ridiculous with the lengths they will go to get our attention. If they knew any of us were dating, they would go nuts. Most of them believe they are our future wives and go to extreme measures to follow our every move. Luckily, we don’t have that many of those fans. Other KPop idols have had their share. Of course, the last thing is the fact that you will have to share Soohyun with his fans. Sounds crazy, huh? You think you’re up for the challenge?” Eli asked as Jayne bit her lip.

                “If Soohyun would want to have me as a girlfriend, I’d be more than happy to make those sacrifices for him.” Jayne said as Eli smiled.

                “I knew you would say that. Soohyun would be out of his mind to not want to be with you. You deserve everything he has to offer and more. Now...are you sure you don’t have a friend that you could set me up with?” Eli asked as Jayne playfully hit him in the arm.

                “Don’t jump the gun, Eli. Soohyun has not mentioned anything about me being his girlfriend. As for me setting you up with someone, I don’t know too many people here at the moment. But, if I think I have found someone suitable for you, I’ll be sure to send them in your direction.” Jayne said, winking at him.

                “As I just said, Soohyun would deserve a serious smack upside the head if he didn’t want to make you his girlfriend. By the way, I am going to hold you to what you just said about possible girls you may know in the future that are potential mates.” Eli said, a smirk on his face. “Now, come here.” Eli said as he stood up motioning for Jayne to do the same. Once she did, he wrapped her in a hug. “I don’t know what the other members will say, but I want to be the first to say I’m glad to know you.”

                “Thank you so much, Eli. That makes me feel wonderful. I’m glad to know you guys, too. Speaking of which, when will I meet the other members?” Jayne giggled after they finished the friendly hug.

                “Well, I don’t know when that will be, but let me show you some pictures in the meantime.” Eli gave a mini tour of his apartment to Jayne and started to show her photo albums and videos of the band. He started telling Jayne about their debut and gave a brief history and led up to where they stood as a band at the present moment. She listened to every word intently, intrigued to learn about their humble beginning and the hard work they put into being the KPop idols they were presently. Without realizing, Jayne let out a tiny yawn.

                “I’m sorry. I’m not boring you, am I?” Eli asked.

                “No, not at all.” Jayne said as she glanced at her phone. She realized the time and let him know that she needed to head home to get her rest for work the next day.

                “Well, I’m glad you asked to talk to me. I hope everything is okay now.” Eli said with a concerned look in his eyes.

                “It is. I can’t thank you enough for explaining everything the way you did.” Jayne said as she gave him a hug goodbye. She slipped on her shoes and was on her way out the door.

                “Have a great night and sleep well. Drive carefully. Send me a text when you get home so I know you’re okay.” Eli said as Jayne nodded and bowed slightly. As soon as Jayne was out of sight, Eli closed his apartment door and grabbed his phone. He sat down on the couch as he pulled up the screen to send a text message.

            Soohyun call me ASAP. She knows…

                Eli sent the text and decided to grab a soda before getting his response back from Soohyun. He knew he had a lot of explaining to do.